1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pats interested in Dansby?

Discussion in 'AFC East Rivals' started by padre31, Feb 15, 2010.

1. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/DMN-Race-is-on-for-Karlos-Dansby.html

Hmm, it would not surprise me, the Pats have Mayo, and a host of young Lb's they spent high draft picks on, so they could sign Dansby because that is how they roll these days.

2. azfinfanmang

azfinfanmang Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    As much as things are looking up in Miami, how bad is it going to suck if the Pats:
    Tag Wilfork
    Resign Seymour
    Sign Joey Porter
    Sign Dansby.
    This is a realistic situation folks.

3. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Seymour is getting the Franchise tag, but the other things could happen.

The pats have 3 good young Lb's, Crable, McKenzie, Guyton, Banta Cain is a FA as well, in the past I'd be worried about them signing Dansby but not now.

They have a glut and cannot find playing time for the players they already have, if they spend on Dansby they are going to have to let someone go.

4. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    This would be a change in the Patriots' recent policy of acquiring mediocre defensive talent.

5. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Not to defend the patsies, but their talent is not mediocre per se, they have so many prospects that they cannot get them playing time to evaluate.

When Tully Banta Cain can have 9 sacks, someone is doing something right.

miamiron likes this.
  6. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    The Pats' defensive problems do not stem from an excessive amount of young talent. Quite the opposite.

7. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    At Lb?

Toss in Db as well.

They have so many young players that they simply have a problem getting them playing time on the defense, this isn't the BruschiPats anymore Des.

I'd bet their oldest defender on the roster is Adalius Thomas, that is if Seau really has packed it in for real this time.

8. muscle979

muscle979 Season Ticket Holder

Dec 12, 2007
    Evans, GA
    Well the Pats defense generally sucked so it's not surprising they'd be interested in him. I know they have some decent linebackers but you could always use more.

Count me as not worried if they pick up Porter. The idea of a 34 year old Joey Porter ever beating Jake Long for a sack makes me laugh. I guess miracles can happen but unless they have a mouth running contest I think we'll be OK. Ricky and Ronnie could use a new LB in New England to run over.

Clipse and gafinfan like this.
  9. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Again, I disagree with your assessment. They have a lot of young guys, yes. The trouble is that the young guys aren't working out. It's not due to an abundance of young guys, it's due to their inability to get the job done.

The Patriots defense is a hollow shell of what it was eight years ago.

10. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Disagree, Crable popped a ACL in 08, Mckenzie in 09, they added Bunta Cain and he started and they added Gary Guyton and kept signing Seau.

Those young guys have no avenue to take the lumps and with Pats with a host of draft picks some of them will be leaving without having played.

Actually there D was very good against the run, they had no passrush and their Db situation is the same as the LB situation, to many players, not enough starting snaps.

We took Vontae Davis at #25 and he became a starter, they took P Chung at #38 and he saw 150 plays.

11. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Realistic maybe in the context of letting the computer run an offseason for the Patriots with no cap in Madden.

Tagging Wilfork is likely to happen.

Richard Seymour has flat out said he wouldn't go back to New England.

Signing Joey Porter? Eh, who cares?

As for Dansby...

They've got absolute loads to do on their own players, and it's unlikely their owner is going to allow them to go hog wild.

12. Disgustipate

Nov 25, 2007
    No, outside of Meriweather, the guys who have had snaps aren't all that great. Jerod Mayo had the most snaps of any of their defenders his rookie year, and at the end of this season? Still pretty mediocre.

Who, exactly, do you think they are stuck behind?

Even guys who you could legitimately argue that for like Ron Brace didn't get their numbers called when they had an opportunity. He didn't spell Vince Wilfork or come in when he got injured.

13. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Well this year Guyton, Mayo, Cain, and Thomas were the starting Lb's the other lbs, guys like Crable, Ninkovich and Woods all saw under 200 snaps or less.

Woods saw 213, Crable saw...-0-.

Springs and Bodden, players like Chung and Wheatley rarely played.

And I do consider less than 10 plays per game rarely playing.

Myron Pryor did though, Pryor was a 7th round pick, Brace top 45.

14. miamiron

miamiron There's always next year

Jan 4, 2008
    plus this 2010 draft
    1st Round
    2nd Round (Titans
    2nd Round (Jaguars
    2nd Round
    4th Round
    6th Round
    7th Round (PHI - Greg Lewis)
    7th Round (DEN - Russ Hochstein)

2011 draft
    1st Round
    1st Round (Richard Seymour-Oakland)
    2nd Round
    3rd Round
    4th Round
    5th Round
    6th Round
    7th Round
    7th Round (David Thomas-New Orleans)

15. PerfectTeam

PerfectTeam Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Port St. Lucie, FL
    Between Wilfork and Banta-Cain they have enough to worry about. I believe Moss's contract is up as well after this year so that is something to watch out for. I also wonder if the giants can afford to get Dansby as well. They shelled out big money to Canty last year, Steve Smith is probably going to be looking for a deal soon and I think Omenyiora just got a huge contract. It's definitely going to be interesting. I think in the end, the amount of respect Dansby has for Parcells is ultimately going to tip the scales in our favor depending on how much he wants.

16. PerfectTeam

PerfectTeam Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Port St. Lucie, FL
    Well we know they arent letting Wilfork go. The only signing out of all of that that scares me is Dansby. I hope Porter goes up there. He would tear that locker room apart. We know his play has dropped off considerably. Seymour isnt the dominant player he once was. I hope the Pats keep doing what they have been doing: signing these aging players and missing on a draft picks.

17. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    8 draft choices, 5 in the region that should produce starters or depth, this is ontop of the choices used in the secondary and linebacking corps and sooner or later the pats will have to cut or trade guys like Crable as there is just no room for them moving forwards.

Downside is, they can easily trade for a Anquan Boldin and not even miss the pick.

miamiron likes this.
  18. Disgustipate

Nov 25, 2007
    Guyton is about the only one of those guys good enough to hold off players from at least getting some contributing snaps. Adalius Thomas for example was terrible and near mutinous. There is absolutely a reason why these players are not seeing the field and it isn't because there aren't enough snaps for them.

Chung is a safety, he's not failing to see the field because of corners. And Shawn Springs is flat out done.

19. gunn34

gunn34 I miss Don & Dan

Jan 5, 2008
    Oviedo FL
    IMO they have a problem with their LB if they keep asking Seau to come back and play. That tells me no one has stepped up.

20. miamiron

miamiron There's always next year

Jan 4, 2008
    It's funny how most of these posts point out the dificiencies
    of the Pats defense and one poster saying"the Pats defense generally sucked"...Does anyone realize that the Pats were 5th in the NFL in least points allowed per game...we were 25th

I wish our defense generally sucked like the Pats defense
    last season

padre31 likes this.