1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pennington and the impact on the running game?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by orangebowl08, Nov 10, 2010.

1. orangebowl08

orangebowl08 New Member

Nov 10, 2010
    Hello all,

I'm curious to hear some opinions on what the change to Pennington will do to the running game? I personally think the wildcat could make more appearances and that the run in general will be emphasized. Thanks in advance.

2. Pandarilla

Pandarilla Purist Emeritus

Sep 10, 2009
    Boone, NC
    Meh, who can say...

Welcome to the site.

3. Trowa

Trowa A world of pain

May 8, 2008
    If we have to resort back to the wildcat, a formation we're averging less than 2 yards out of this year, after putting Pennington back in at QB, then what was the point of the move in the first place?

4. Third Man

Third Man Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 10, 2010
    Pennington won't do anything to help the running game. I mean, teams were already playing 2 deep coverage all game long against us. What more can they do to disrespect that part of our offense?

The simple fact is that our failure to run the ball has been the biggest thing holding back our offense this year. A successful running game forces teams to play 8 in the box against you, and that gives you a successful play action game and the ability to challenge the field vertically.

None of that will change with Pennington at QB. None of it. He's a more accurate QB than Henne, but with his lack of arm strength he frankly has to be. It's not as much of an advantage as some make out. And either way it doesn't change that when teams game plan to take away the pass it's, you know, generally hard to pass on them. Pennington does not have a secret formula against that.

This move is absolutely set to backfire. The only reason it might not is because our schedule softens up mightily from here on in.

5. FinsAreLife

FinsAreLife Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2007
    I wouldnt say pennington WONT do anything to help the run game. He could, it just doesnt seem likely that he would do much right now to help it.

6. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    I think the major problem with the running game is the offensive line
    having said that

Pennington may help spark the running attack in a number of ways:
    1) his accuracy & ability to throw into coverage & consistently complete passes will demand close attention. by moving the ball in the air, the ground should begin to open up.
    2) his ability to throw screens to the running backs & hit the TE will force a more elaborate coverage & ease the burden of the offensive line in the run game
    3) his ability to call audibles allows the offense to be more flexible & take advantage of match-ups on the ground as well as in the air
    4) his leadership infuses confidence in the offense & motivates them to play @ the next level
    5) Pennington has been there & done that... he knows how to win.
    6) Ricky & Ronnie will be more comfortable with Pennington handling the offense

GMJohnson likes this.
  7. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

Didn't happen in 08. They didn't respect Pennington. This just didn't know what the hell to do with the Wildcat. Then the Ravens gave everyone a blue print.

8. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    I think you're right about the blue print for defending the WildCat being exposed by the Ravens
    & would sincerely hope Henning never runs the system again or at least until we get Vick under contract.
    and
    the entire team & coaching cadre respect Pennington, including Ricky & Ronnie. he is a ProvenCommodity

9. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    Titans will cheat up and try to cut off the run game.
    Pennington can't beat you down the field with his arm consistently.
    He will be rusty from the time off.
    Henning gets caught up in this passing game need.
    It's really up to him.

10. AMfinfan9

AMfinfan9 Junior Member

Dec 14, 2007
    PA
    I'm struggling to understand how Pennington's mere presence will change the running backs.
    During play will the running back think, "Oh, we have a different quarterback in so I'll hit the hole harder."
    Will the line decide to run block better because someone else is giving the hand-offs?

11. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    Friend AMfinfan9

please read one through five:

1) his accuracy & ability to throw into coverage & consistently complete passes will demand close attention. by moving the ball in the air, the ground should open up.
    2) his ability to throw screens to the running backs & hit the TE will force a more elaborate coverage & ease the burden of the offensive line in the run game
    3) his ability to call audibles allows the offense to be more flexible & take advantage of match-ups on the ground as well as in the air
    4) his leadership infuses confidence in the offense & motivates them to play @ the next level
    5) Pennington has been there & done that... he knows how to win.

Still struggling?

12. Ophinerated

Ophinerated Preposterous!

Apr 1, 2008
    Personally I would not have put this as number one. I think this statement is where many may stop reading. I'll come back to this one, as it has the most to talk about not being correct, according to both stats and play calling in general, in my opinion.

This goes with number 3, really.

I will give you this. But it also begs an answer to the question; Why hasn't Henne been given the option to call audibles? Sure he has a "kill" option but, that isn't the same as being able to audible out of a formation or route designation, or does it? I don't know the answer to that.

This one I will definitely have to give you. Most players with Pennington's experience, especially one as intelligent as he is, is going to give you this.

He has been to the playoffs, gotten there, and lost; yes. Been there and done that.

I need a bit more time to gather all my thoughts on addressing number one. That one can be an entire thread in and of itself.

13. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Here is the thing Bro, we just don't know, no one does, not even Sparano which means Fisher sure as heck doesn't know.

Stout Titans D, 26 sacks, their front 4 is no joke.

Can Pennington move the chess pieces and take advantage?

:dunno:

Do know Patrick Crayton scorched them last week, DBess should be able to as well.

14. SRM

SRM New Member

Nov 11, 2010
    The best thing for the running game right now would be to simply run it.. who knows what happens against the Ravens if we run Ronnie down their throats

15. Jaj

Jaj Registered

Mar 23, 2008
    Los Angeles
    His play action is quite convincing and you'll be surprised. Pennington can throw it down the field far enough (40-45 yards) that defenses do respect the offense.

What happened against the Ravens was that Pennington tried to do too much. By the way out of all those picks thrown by Pennington, the only ones that produced points against Miami was the primary Ed Reed return that made it 10-3. The receivers GOT NOOOO separation that day if you watch closely. In fact Cobb's fumble lost more than those plays did. Miami sits on its *** during that game and they maybe could have had it 13-10 going into the fourth quarter.

Marshall's addition and the improvement of the OL change the isssue.

16. late again

late again Senior Member

Nov 24, 2007
    You beat me to this. This is one area where Pennington will really make a difference. He sells the play action fake very, very well. He's one of the best at it, really. Whereas, Henne was fooling absolutely no one with his.

17. PHINANALYST

PHINANALYST Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2008
    North Carolina
    for play action to work, you must be able to run successfully .... when he was with the JESTS and in 08 -- that was the case, and why he has always been successful with it -- besides the fact that yes, he does sell it well.

at this point, i just hope we win .... i expect this to be no more than a game in the low 20s ... as long as CJ doesn't go wild on us - which he shouldn't as we have done a good job against the run (less RR last week), and we all know how much more dangerous CJ is than RR.

If CP doesn't put up at LEAST 2 X TDs, this change will be all for naught ...