1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pennington the most likely to win Qb on the roster?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by padre31, Aug 2, 2010.

1. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    I suspect Omar is stirring the pot, I also think this offense is ideal for Pennington's skillset, quick reads, ball comes out fast, Brandon Marshall's talent for RAC would be fit really well with Penny's ability to use touch to put the ball where it needs to be on time and on target..

Plus Pennington doesn't turn the ball over..

2. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    I have seen enough of Chad Pennington, I dont care that his arm is repaired, he still throws soft....he isn't and can't be the starter on this team Week 1....nobody fears Pennington....

3. Samphin

Samphin Κακό σκυλί ψόφο δεν έχει

If anything, it is a great problem to have. Pennington, in his two seasons with us (even with one ending after three weeks) has been arguably our best quarterback since Dan Marino. Hopefully Henne surpasses that, but think about that statement for a minute.

A CAREER Jets QB, comes to Miami after being shunned in New York, leads this franchise to its first Division Championship in forever and while doing so, earns his Dolphins colors. At this point, would anyone consider Pennington to be a Jet first and a Dolphin second? I don't. He is one of ours. He has been THAT good for the team both on and off the field that after 20 official games with us, we hold him in higher regard than say, Jason Allen, who has been here for five years and was drafted by us in the first round.

Pennington being too good to stuff on the back end of the roster is fine by me. We know what we have in him. Henne s still a question mark to a certain extent, so it makes sense that Pennington would serve as the primary backup. It is up to Thigpen to eearn that job, something Pennington appears to be doing in spades.

4. Tin Indian

Tin Indian Rockin' The Bottom End Club Member

Feb 10, 2010
    Palm Bay Florida
    I agree, Omar is trying to stir the pot, which is his want, but Henne is the starter on this team. Period. I love Pennington and I'm happy knowing that if something did happen to Henne, Pennington would come right in for us.

It is a far cry from the days after Marino retired to where we are now. Having 3 guys who have started and won games in the NFL on our roster is an unbelievable turn of events.

Rick 1966 and dolfan7171 like this.
  5. DePhinistr8

DePhinistr8 Season Ticket Holder

Mar 24, 2008
    It's easy to forget the CP's shortcomings when we haven't seen him in a while. While accurate and saavy, his shortcomings never really challenged a defense the way that CH can. Hopefully some of that veteran saavy and accuracy become part of Henne's game this year...and if it is even close..oh man is it gonna be fun to watch.

dolfan7171 likes this.
  6. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts

Well here is the thing, with Ginn gone, there really isn't a vertical threat, the Wr corps is 3/4ths possession type Wr's, does that play into Henne's strengths, a rocket arm, or Pennington's strengths, quick reads and accuracy with the football?

dolfan7171 and DePhinistr8 like this.
  7. DePhinistr8

DePhinistr8 Season Ticket Holder

Mar 24, 2008
    Are you really suggesting that Penny be the starter? Or are you just pulling an Omar? :)

Penny was the right QB for this team in 2008. I think Henne is the right QB for this team in 2010.
    I don't see how Ginn is any more of a vertical threat than Hartline or anyone else, seeing as he could barely get off the LOS when jammed.

DolfanJake likes this.
  8. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    I would think Pennington would give us a better chance to win this year. The problem is, I'm sure the organization is worried about more than just this year.

9. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Pennington to start over Henne?

Whatever gave you that idea...:shifty:

Because Ginn provided the threat of the 9 route, but Penny really couldn't throw it, Henne could throw it, but there is no more Ginn.

and look at the Wr's ypc avg..less than 14 yds for 3 of them, Hartline is around 16, but the majority of the passes will be inside of 15 yds of the LoS.

that's where Pennington excelled, he also can throw screens.

10. gunn34

gunn34 I miss Don & Dan

Jan 5, 2008
    Oviedo FL
    Omar stir the pot....never.

11. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    Anyone who would want Pennington to start over Henne needs to have their head examined. He gets hurt which he will it is back to square one. Destroying the confidence of our young QB is the worst thing you could do. This thread is laughable for Pennington as a starter. Hell I don't even want him as the backup. Let's move on down the road and stop picking our asses with either washed up or marginally talented guys. We are developing a young QB. Omar can STFU.

12. FinsAreLife

FinsAreLife Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2007

This is where i lost you and stopped agreeing with you. Pennington is a very good QB and if Henne were to go down I would feel very good having pennington replace him. He knows the offense and the players around him well and has won before. No he's not a starter anymore but he is a very good backup.

Dolfan984 likes this.
  13. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    David Lee has been working alot with Thiggy to improve his mechanics and throw overtop instead of so low. I heard it has already improved his accuracy and velocity. Plus Thigpen is waaaay more mobile than Chad Hurtington. Penny as the #3 for me. His body is soft his arm is soft. He is good for his brain on the bench but a crumpled bag of bones on the field. Thigpen should be the #2.

14. FinsAreLife

FinsAreLife Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2007

I know where youre coming from on this and im with you on hoping that Thigpen is improving and reliable. Right now however, in my opinion id rather have someone who is a proven winner and reliable player as my backup. You know what youre getting with pennington.

15. Jeff

Jeff A.S.E. Mastur

Mar 18, 2010
    Plantation
    I'm just happy with our quality of depth at QB, sans White.

16. Roman529

Roman529 Senior Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Colorado Springs, CO
    I think it will be Henne, Pennington, Thigpen in that order and Pat White likely gets dealt for a 6th or 7th rounder (or just cut) as we get down to 53 guys.

17. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    Baloney. It's Henning's job to put Henne and these WRs in position to make those big plays whether they have Ginn's speed or not. BM has had plenty of big plays in his career with 2 QBs who, IMO, are not as good as Henne or Penny. Our WRs are NOW plenty good enough to make those plays. You get them in an open field and hit them in stride, there's a big play to be had. What we are lacking is a big play TE.

DePhinistr8 likes this.
  18. adamprez2003

adamprez2003 Senior Member

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    I am hoping we trade Pennington at some point this season. I think we might be able to get a decent draft pick. This is Henne's team and I'm more than willing to go to war with him the rest of the way

19. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    I think so as well, a part of me would love to see a trade of Thiggy for Schoebel/Parrish/Whitner...Bills salary dump..we get some depth..

Of course that would never happen, just like I doubt Pennington is going anywhere, Head Coaches look at Qb's that they have won with like old HS girlfriends who moved away..they are always willing to make room for them.

Besides, I like the thought of Henne fans howling at the thought of Chad Pennington winning the Starting Qb job...

20. PhinsRock

PhinsRock Premium Member Luxury Box

Agree in theory but a lot of this would IMO depend on where we were in the season and standings/playoff position.

If we are well into the season and in the playoff hunt then I want Penny to come in if God forbid Henne goes down.

If we are not in the hunt then I would rather get Thigpen the playing time.

Edit: weird, didn't know Tapatalk puts a line between sentences like that. Iphone never mentioned that :lol:

Dolfan984 likes this.
  21. Dolfan984

Dolfan984 Underrated Free Agent

Apr 26, 2009
    Bay Area, CA
    Very well put. Thiggy is a talent everyone can agree with that.

Problem is IF Chad is healthy he's the more talented QB especially for the type off offense we run. Yeah, he's not as mobile and his arm isn't as strong, but that's it. Every other category Chad blows Thiggy out of the water. 11-5 with Ted Ginn as your #1 in 08, what could he do with BM? Chad Pennington is the best backup QB in the league.

22. Rick 1966

Rick 1966 Professional Hipshooter

Nov 23, 2007
    Powell, WY
    I totally disagree. I think Henne is clearly the best QB on our roster.