1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Per Marvez: Dolphins, Hartline Nearing Multi Year Agreement

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by schmolioot, Mar 5, 2013.

1. The G Man

The G Man Git 'r doooonnne!!!

Mar 18, 2009
    Sounds more like it (or, more like it should be). Of course, he has to agree to it, I get that.

But, I would love it if we can resign Hartline at a reasonable amount, sign Jennings (again to a reasonable amount), and draft a homerun hitter like Patterson. The only remaining task then is a seam busting TE, and we are in business baby!

2. schmolioot

schmolioot Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Orlando
    Ahh, the draft.

Where El Jeffe has been oh so successful at drafting WRs.

And even if we draft them, I suppose we'll immediately be fed the standard line that WR is the toughest position to elarn so give these guys a year or two (which might be true) and in the meantime we roll Hartline and Bess out as starters once again and finish 8-8 predictably.

Is this what you have in mind?

Mongo and NolesNPhinsFan like this.
  3. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    Yes, pretty much thats how you go about building an NFL organization. Draft players, develop those players. Maybe find a few good steals in FA. Hopefully the coaching staff develops guys like Rishard Matthews, Charles Clay, etc. and whomever gets drafted this year. Hartline as well should continue developing.

Phinfanjt and Anonymous like this.
  4. PhiNomina

PhiNomina White-Collar Redneck

Dec 21, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    I like Hartline as a player - I just hate that with Hartline and Bess, they're likely to only bring in one more guy. Is Wallace or Jennings enough?

I like the idea of adding another TE - but with Clay and Egnew already on the roster (and Fasano seeming likely yo re-sign) - is there enough room?

I don't think Bush was a great player, but he was able to create a few scores out of nothing this year. If you lose Bush and only add Jennings / Wallace are you really improving the team THAT much?

It's not so much a knock on Hartline as it is his fit on this team.

5. TooGoodForDez

TooGoodForDez Deion Sanders for GM

Feb 26, 2013
    He plays right split end and he is the #1 receivers. He will also make $6 mil per TD per season, which is more than #1 money.

6. ItsDFresh

ItsDFresh Beast Mode

Feb 21, 2013
    New Jersey
    You have to remember last year there was NOBODY playing opposite of Hartline. He is a great #2 receiver for this offense being that he doesn't drop balls, runs great routes and has good chemistry with OUR FRANCHISE QB. Now if you put Wallace opposite of him just think of all that open space with the safety having to roll over basically on Wallace all the time. The last piece of the puzzle for WR if we sign Wallace would be a guy to play in the slot. I'm getting so excited right now thinking of the possibilities of 4 WR sets in the no huddle. Defenses will not even know whats going on. This looks good to the FA's because it shows the Dolphins willingness to take care of their own if they perform.

Dolphrank likes this.
  7. byroan

byroan Giggity Staff Member Administrator Luxury Box

Nov 25, 2007
    NC
    I read that Anquan Boldin is due to make $6 million this year.

8. Stringer Bell

Mar 22, 2008
    When did he sign that contract, and was he under-contract at the time??? There are a lot more dynamics involved than how much someone is making.

9. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    I think people are splitting hairs now. We don't know the terms of the deal yet.

If the deal was 5 million a year, would we still complain? paying the extra 1 million a year to ensure that Tannehill has at least 1 weapon is the smart thing to do. There's very little guarantee that we get Wallace or Jennings in FA. Hopefully Hartline is piece #1, add a FA WR, draft a TE in 1st or 2nd round.

MAFishFan likes this.
  10. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Thee...Ohio State University
    Resign Tedd Ginn. Lets go 2010 on these bastards.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

SICK and finyank13 like this.
  11. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    He signed the contract at a time when the salary cap was nearly exactly the same level that it is now, and Brian Hartline is under contract at this time too.

12. Stringer Bell

Mar 22, 2008
    Brian Hartline does not have to play another game for Miami. Brian Hartline assumed the risk of playing out his entire contract. Had Miami tried to extend him before the season, then he'd have cost much less. Its apples to oranges.

Why not just compare Hartline to other WRs that played out their contracts?????

13. unifiedtheory

unifiedtheory Sub Pending Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Burnaby, BC, Canada
    I will wait to hear his cap number before judging.

If we end up spending a combined $14-15 million in yearly cap number on Randy Starks and Brian Hartline I can only judge that as idiotic.

14. Phinfanjt

Phinfanjt New Member

Jan 29, 2013
    #1 money is closer to what Bowe got which is roughly 2 times what Hartline is rumored to be getting

15. LBsFinest

LBsFinest Banned

Jul 24, 2012
    Lol really? And how long do you think we'd have this depth? How long would we be content with paying a 3rd or 4th option 6.5 mil a year?

16. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    If the deal was $5 million a year, it would already be $1 million per year too much. If it's $6.5 million per year, it's $2.5 million per year too much. That's an entire mid-level free agent.

And I think what really gets people is the idea that Greg Jennings COULD only cost $1.5 million per year more than this price for Brian Hartline (we still are all across the board on estimates for Jennings' contract). Greg Jennings is a straight upgrade, a lot better player overall than Hartline, and really not much older.

What personally gets me is that Domenik Hixon essentially is Brian Hartline, with a little more pure speed, but a little more of an injury history, and I would imagine he's going to get about half of the numbers we're talking about for Brian Hartline. I'd rather save the money and just pay Hixon.

And I think what also gets people are the steps that LED to this outcome. When people point out what guys like Boldin and Roddy White make, sure you can sit here and say "what are we supposed to do?". However, the point in that complaint is the steps that LED to his moment, when we're paying Brian Hartline the same as the Ravens are paying Anquan Boldin and the Falcons are paying Roddy White. That's the point.

17. PhinGeneral

PhinGeneral PC Texas A&M, Bro Club Member

Jan 4, 2008
    Swamps of Jersey
    Yeah, I think we need to see how this contract gets structured before we go off the wall on 6 or 6.5 mil per year. There could be a roster bonus or such added that would inflate the average of the contract if Miami thinks Brian is worth it a couple of years down the road, or it could average substantially less if the Dolphins decide he's no better than a middling 2nd receiver and replaceable.

18. Lee2000

Lee2000 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 23, 2008
    Pearl, Mississippi
    I like Eifert, but in terms of value, if you could get Kelce and Fauria at the points you have them going, that would allow you to go for the best player available in round one. Problem is I am not sure who he is?

19. VanDolPhan

VanDolPhan Club member Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Hamilton, Ontario Canada
    You know if you want to slam Ireland around. At least buy a clue first. Bowe just signed a deal that average $13 million a year the first 3 years. THAT is #1 money.

I'm seeing a lot of poor arguments in here such as signing Hartline stops us from getting another WR? The team has already admitted they needed more weapons ON TOP of Hartline. So no this doesn't preclude anything.

Also I don't know why folks are talking about Boldin's deal. A) He didn't hit FA or even come close to free agency. B) He was traded and cost a 3rd and 4th C) His deal was in 2010 for 4 years $25 million with ANOTHER $8 million in signing bonus for a guy closing in on 30 at the time. Apples and oranges.

Lets actually wait till we got real numbers before crucifying.

20. Stringer Bell

Mar 22, 2008
    The steps that led to paying Hartline this much are him being hospitalized and not getting an extension before the season ended. If you want to make the money lower, you're going to have to trade security, which Miami didn't do.

21. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    If the deal was $5 million a year, it would already be $1 million per year too much. If it's $6.5 million per year, it's $2.5 million per year too much. That's an entire mid-level free agent.

And I think what really gets people is the idea that Greg Jennings COULD only cost $1.5 million per year more than this price for Brian Hartline (we still are all across the board on estimates for Jennings' contract). Greg Jennings is a straight upgrade, a lot better player overall than Hartline, and really not much older.

What personally gets me is that Domenik Hixon essentially is Brian Hartline, with a little more pure speed, but a little more of an injury history, and I would imagine he's going to get about half of the numbers we're talking about for Brian Hartline. I'd rather save the money and just pay Hixon.

And I think what also gets people are the steps that LED to this outcome. When people point out what guys like Boldin and Roddy White make, sure you can sit here and say "what are we supposed to do?". However, the point in that complaint is the steps that LED to his moment, when we're paying Brian Hartline the same as the Ravens are paying Anquan Boldin and the Falcons are paying Roddy White. That's the point.

ToddPhin likes this.
  22. DePhinistr8

DePhinistr8 Season Ticket Holder

Mar 24, 2008
    Artist rendition of Hartline attempting to sign his contract:

[​IMG]

23. byroan

Nov 25, 2007
    NC
    Would Hartline get $6M from another team? I don't think so. Outside of the Cardinals game, he didn't wow anyone.

ToddPhin likes this.
  24. VanDolPhan

Nov 26, 2007
    Hamilton, Ontario Canada
    Yup and this is why we need to get Jones signed now or were going to have to pay a FA premium like it does with Hartline.

And I don't get this love for Hixon...he's a #4 guy. You want him.....you can still go sign him...as the #4 guy.

Dolphrank likes this.
  25. VanDolPhan

Nov 26, 2007
    Hamilton, Ontario Canada
    Yup and this is why we need to get Jones signed now or were going to have to pay a FA premium like it does with Hartline.

And I don't get this love for Hixon...he's a #4 guy. You want him.....you can still go sign him...as the #4 guy.

There's always a team. Just look at the Jags with Laurent Robinson.

26. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    The steps that led to this are many. You're only looking at one tiny fractional piece of the puzzle there. There's also the simple fact that the Dolphins don't have anyone better on the roster already, which speaks poorly to their drafting and acquisition processes.

Boik14 and TooGoodForDez like this.
  27. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Have you actually sat down and critically watched Hixon play football, preferably on coaches tape? Or are you basing this argument on stats.

28. Ozzy

Ozzy Premium Member Luxury Box

Some of the reports are that the average will be 6 or so million. Lets hope it's backloaded before we jump the gun. In reality it's close to what many have stated he'd be worth. So with the right amount guaranteed to make him happy, it could turn out to be a decent contract.

Oh yeah, lets not hold our breath on it either.....

29. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    I'll wait to hear the actual details, but if Hartline is making $4 mill or less a year I'll be ok. $5 mill or more and I'll inch closer to the negative view of Ireland.

finyank13 likes this.
  30. seabass0795

seabass0795 New Member

Feb 26, 2012
    Orlando
    I say it's good that he is back. After watching some throws to him I could see that a few of them could have been TDs if Tannehill placed the ball correctly. On quite a few plays Hartline had to stop running and turn around to catch the ball. He helped Tannehill a lot through the year, and he was a useful part of the offense.

31. Fineas

Fineas Club Member Luxury Box

Jan 5, 2008
    I look at it as $22.5 million budgeted to the passing game, taking into account the big discount we get on Tannehill for the next few years. Most of the better teams in the league have $35-$40 million budgeted to their passing game skill position players, so I think there is still room above that to add additional receiving threats, i.e., TEs. Accepting that we are saving $10+ million at the QB position by having Tannehill as out starter, where would you rather spend that $10+ million? If WR was the team's biggest weakness last year and is the position that mnost works in conjunction with the QB, it seems like spending the extra money on receivers makes a lot more sense than on RBs, OL, DL, LB or DBs.

MrClean likes this.
  32. Stringer Bell

Mar 22, 2008
    Apparently so, or Miami would let him test the market.

33. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Brian Hartline's contract being right in line with Anquan Boldin's isn't inappropriate. I'd expect Hartline to somewhat outproduce what Boldin has been doing for the last few years as a Raven.

34. DePhinistr8

DePhinistr8 Season Ticket Holder

Mar 24, 2008
    Those are called back-shoulder throws

35. byroan

Nov 25, 2007
    NC
    When it comes to Jeff Ireland, you can't assume he's making the right move.

Boik14 likes this.
  36. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Brian is not as good as Jordy imo, so this should be interesting, Philbin should have some good intel on these negotiations..

As far as Hartline, there's something to be said about his intellect, the way he sets up defenders, sometimes making them look silly, precise route running, hands, the fact that he put up some good numbers against the opponents best with a rookie Qb, I understand his limitations, lack of rac ability, but if he can go up against the # 2 corner, your gonna get some more defenders lookin silly..

Lets see the real numbers first.

37. Stringer Bell

Mar 22, 2008
    I really like Hixon as a player, and hope we sign him, but there are a lot of advantages Hartline has over him. The familiarity with the scheme, experience with Tannehill, and injury history are all on Hartline's side. Not to mention that when you're signing a FA like Hixon, you don't know a lot about his character. Is he good in the locker room? Will he work hard to come back from injury? Those are all things that impact a player's value, but you risk being on the wrong side in evaluating those things with outside FAs.

38. Dolphrank

Dolphrank New Member

Jan 10, 2013
    PA
    You've watched his coach's tape? Why? If the guy is such a player then why couldn't he outshine Manningham or even Ruben Randle at times?

39. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    I wouldn't assume that. You're assuming perfect information. That's not a good assumption. Richard Marshall himself admitted that the only team other than the Dolphins that were after him were the Cardinals, and their contract offer was significantly lower than Miami's.

40. VanDolPhan

Nov 26, 2007
    Hamilton, Ontario Canada
    I'm not a fan of counting on guys who are constantly injured, about to turn 29 during the season and expecting them to contribute more then their career has to this point. I certainly wouldn't hand him a #2 job. Sign him..but sign him for what he is and don't expect more. Heck I'm not overly excited about having Jennings as our #1 guy either. Hopefully the Hartline deal is only 3 years and Ireland really attacks the offensive skill positions in the draft.

My FA wish is to grab Loadholt at RT. I'd take him over a Jennings (yes my OL love shines thru!)