1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Percy Harvin

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Da 'Fins, Jun 19, 2012.

1. Da 'Fins

Da 'Fins Season Ticket Holder Staff Member Club Member

Dec 19, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    Unhappy in Minnesota:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8072414/percy-harvin-minnesota-vikings-minicamp-says-unhappy

Doesn't seem like it would reach a point of a trade. In dead news for the NFL, I suppose this is a story for that reason. But, one never knows.

I could see Harvin, if his health held up, being a real star in this offense. His ability to RAC is tremendous and his size is exactly in line with the kind of WR's that have excelled at Green Bay. Would radically change our offense for the better, imo. Doubt we would be willing to part with a #1 - as that would be a risk. I know I'm pipe dreaming here, but then, again, it is such a dead time for the NFL and Dolphins.

CrunchTime likes this.
  2. Ronnie Bass

Ronnie Bass Luxury Box Luxury Box

Dec 19, 2007
    I dunno if the Viking would accept just a #1 for him.

3. Clark Kent

Clark Kent Fighter of the Nightman

May 9, 2008
    I don't why we would give a #1 for him.

4. Nappy Roots

Nappy Roots Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Bradenton,FL
    Big IF on his health. Not a good gamble for this team.

5. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    I can't trade a high pick for anyone that averages <6 TDs/year. I just don't see him as someone that's going to help this offense take over a game.
    If he was a free agent, I'd be into picking him up.

Stitches likes this.
  6. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

Migraines

7. P h i N s A N i T y

P h i N s A N i T y My Porpoise in Life

Apr 19, 2012
    Treasure Coast, FL
    If there were no health concerns i'd be waving our 1st rounder in their face. He's a game changer when healthy. Still just 24 years old too.
    For two 2nds I'm down. :yes: But they're not trading him IMO.

8. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Harvin is intriguing, but I doubt he's for sale. His woes don't add up to a trade, and the Vikings aren't going to get rid of their only receiver worth a ****.

He's not been ultra productive overall, but he's been one of the most consistently productive on a per-snap basis. He'd be awesome if he was on the field consistently.

9. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Thee...Ohio State University
    Maybe we could pick up Larry Fitzgerald why we are at it.:shifty:

eltos_lightfoot likes this.
  10. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    Andre Johnson and Demarcus Ware and Ed Reed. Make it happen.

11. CrunchTime

CrunchTime Administrator Retired Administrator

Nov 23, 2007
    The Pats would be all over Harvin if he were to be traded and they have the draft pick ammunition.
    He is truly a gifted and versatile chunk yardage player .I doubt he will be traded for anything less than a first round pick if traded at all.

BTW he apparently has overcome his migraine problems.

12. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

Chunk yardage player who averages 11 YPC, a number which has declined every year since he came into the NFL? The most he has averaged is just over 13. His longest catch was 52 yards and 53 is his career longest. The guy is talented, but he's not DeSean Jackson.

13. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    Good player. But man is he a headache and I don't mean his migraines.

14. dolfan22

dolfan22 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Clyde Gates is 26 ... which isn't all that enticing. Hard to trade for due to probably a big big gap from what Minnesota would want/need and what Miami would pay . I would not even contemplate a number one.

15. Califin

Califin Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Not sure why the Vikes wouldn't consider trading him for more reliable production, even though I too, seriously doubt we'd shell out what they would want in compensation.

16. xphinfanx

xphinfanx Stay strong my friends.

Nov 1, 2009
    Don't forget Megatron. He is fairly good.

17. xphinfanx

Nov 1, 2009
    I know Brett Farve really liked Harvin, he has been banged up early though he is still very young I don't see Minnisota letting him get away this season.

18. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    I'm going to go ahead and take a stand here and give an unconditioned "No" on my answer to the Percy Harvin question.

He was a major headache in college, he's been JUST as major a headache in the pros, but the Vikings have kept it quiet. No. No no no no no no.

Trading for Percy Harvin would be a de facto admission that trading away Brandon Marshall for two 3rd round picks was absolutely a dumb mistake. Percy is MORE of a headache than Marshall (figuratively, literally), and less of a talent.

As bad as Marshall is I'm pretty sure he's never thrown a weight slab at his Head Coach. Percy did, 5 days after the Minnesota Vikings cut Randy Moss and Randy called Percy and told him that he should try and get Brad Childress fired.

19. hammer

hammer New Member

Sep 13, 2011
    Beavercreek Ohio
    With his health issues I'd give up a 3rd round pick that could elevate to a second depending on performance.

20. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    Not into a guy with recurring concussion problems.....

find the QB first, then shop for the side dishes...

21. Disgustipate

Nov 25, 2007
    They've sort of made their investment at quarterback already.

22. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Percy Harvin was a major 'whisper campaign' guy coming out of college. Everyone knew a guy who knew a guy who had some major dirt on Percy Harvin. It was similar to Ryan Mallett although I think there was more confirmable evidence. The big difference was that where Mallett's coaches and people surrounding Arkansas went to bat HARD for him both publicly and privately...I remember the Florida coaches and people around that program refusing to even go to bat for Percy publicly, let alone privately. I remember public statements about Percy Harvin living in Percy Harvin-land, having major problems, etc. No coincidence that fast forward a few years, he's had major character issues in Minnesota, including a concerted effort to try and get his Head Coach fired, including assault with a deadly weapon (throwing a weight slab at a guy's head qualifies), and his time there seems to be ending with a surprise trade request. No coincidence at all. Essentially everything that was whispered about Percy Harvin coming out of college has been realized in the pros in full. He's easily the headache that people feared coming out of college.

And people want to trade for this guy? No way.

P h i N s A N i T y and Fin D like this.
  23. vmarcilfan75

vmarcilfan75 blah...blah...blah... Club Member

Dec 13, 2007
    City Of Angels
  24. Disgustipate

Nov 25, 2007
    This is a bit much. It's troubling to say the least, but neither the Vikings nor the NFL punished him, and him throwing a weight wasn't even in a lot of accounts of the incident. If the weight was close to, or meant to hit him, it would have been treated with somewhere even close to approaching the gravity you are giving it.

Da 'Fins likes this.
  25. xphinfanx

Nov 1, 2009
    O boy if this is true forget it.

26. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    I disagree. Trying to hit someone in the head with weight slab could easily be attempted murder. That's like swinging a sledgehammer at someone's head.

27. Disgustipate

Nov 25, 2007
    That's absolutely true, and I'm agreeing with you.

The fact it wasn't treated anything remotely like that by the Vikings, NFL, or local police means it's highly unlikely Harvin made a serious attempt to hurt Childress with the weight.

Fin D likes this.
  28. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Oh, ok. Then i completely misread your post. i apologize.

29. Dol Fan99

Dol Fan99 Active Member

Sep 12, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    He's not who?

30. Disgustipate

Nov 25, 2007
    I think the thing with Harvin is that he fits some of what looks to be a fundamental part of this offense- Players who can play multiple positions.

Reggie Bush can play wide reasonably well, and they're apparently working hard on him improving in that area. Charles Clay will likely play every skill position on offense. Michael Egnew is more at home as a wide receiver than a tight end. Add a legitimate starting quality wide receiver(a position of need) who can also play runningback, in an offense that is likely going to want to play more of a spread style and I think you've got a lot of stuff you can do to cause issues and mismatches.

I think there would be a tremendous amount that opposing coaches would have to untangle in regards to matching our personnel packages with the appropriate defenses, and coming up with appropriate coverage responsibilities that aren't suddenly a ****-storm with motion. Having a wide receiver who can motion in to runningback after you've got two or three guys motioning out does what for you? Puts Harvin in coverage vs. a linebacker, or a cornerback as a second level defender between the tackles? You could have a field day with that kind of stuff.

CrunchTime and Da 'Fins like this.
  31. P h i N s A N i T y

P h i N s A N i T y My Porpoise in Life

Apr 19, 2012
    Treasure Coast, FL
    That info is troubling. He is still very young....perhaps with this upcoming contract situation he will have to mature. There's a big payday on the horizon and what he does from now until then will determine his fate. Its apparent he won't want to resign in Minny, so you would think they'll keep him this year but start entertaining offers next off season. One thing is certain, we don't have a place for a diva, me 1st attitude receiver.

You just have to believe we are going to be in the market for a game-breaking WR next year so its at least something to keep an eye on.

32. pocoloco

pocoloco I'm your huckleberry Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    North Chicagoland
    I'm going to bet a 3rd gets it done. Maybe that turns into a conditional 2nd based on mega production. Watch the Pats do it.

33. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    I seriously doubt the Patriots are getting involved there. The relationship between Bill Belichick and Urban Meyer works both ways. Urban can also warn Bill which guys to stay away from, and I would note that Urban never really went to bat for Percy publicly when Harvin came out of the Draft.

34. unifiedtheory

unifiedtheory Sub Pending Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Burnaby, BC, Canada
    No.

35. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    If that's the case then I'd do it in a heartbeat. That's assuming that he's being honest in saying that he's not looking for a new contract.

Can't see the Pats doing it. Lloyd is plenty for them already.