1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peter King on McNabb: "I think he ends up in Miami"

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Colmax, Jul 20, 2011.

1. Colmax

Colmax Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2007
    Here's a tidbit I read while perusing the net:

Link: HERE

The link to the Podcast on PTI is: HERE

McNabb talk is around the 11 minute mark. A little before McNabb, Carson Palmer was discussed, and King thinks that unless Marvin Lewis and the inquiring team can convince the Bengals FO to take a 2nd rounder for Palmer right before the trade deadline ends, Palmer will remain in Cincy.

Thoughts on possibility of McNabb coming to Miami?

Thoughts on Palmer probably staying a Bengal?

Aquafin likes this.
  2. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I always assumed that Palmer was most likely to stay in Cincy. And I would not be excited about bringing McNabb in.

JMHPhin likes this.
  3. Dorfdad

Dorfdad Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Daunte Culpepper Part 2....

no thanks..

Idahophin likes this.
  4. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    what he said. McNabb is not someone who will sit idly on the bench if he doesn't win the starting job. And if he does win the starting job, we'll have moments of real excitement, but not enough to outweigh the mediocrity.

Boik14 likes this.
  5. Boik14

Boik14 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    Have to agree with prior sentiment regarding McNabb. Another factor with him is, he has always been in a West Coast Offense, schematically Daboll's offense will be new to him. I had him ticketed for San Fran or possibly Cleveland, teams running a system he is familiar with and who have a need at the position. With the lockout and loss of much of the offseason, I think that definitely plays a role for any QB.

In my opinion, this teams best hope for taking the next step this year lies with Chad Henne going from an average QB to hopefully taking a Brees-like step.

6. schmolioot

schmolioot Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Orlando
    Not even sure Henne is average at this point

Tin Indian and Stringer Bell like this.
  7. RoninFin4

RoninFin4 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    If Donovan McNabb and Chad Henne are the plan that Tony Sparano and Jeff Ireland sold to Stephen Ross after that Patriots debacle, well then...maybe they are as clueless as some people think. I agree that Chad Henne's the best hope the Dolphins have to be successful in 2011, but Donovan McNabb. Really?

8. Paul 13

Paul 13 Chaotic Neutral & Unstable Genius Staff Member

Dec 3, 2007
    McNabb would be a fallback option at this point, assuming Chad Henne falls on his face. Because the Redskins are likely to hold on to McNabb as long as they can to try and get something in return for him.

9. Boik14

Boik14 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    But the problem is, even if you think that, there really isnt anyone else available, except for Carson Palmer who is definitively better. And seeing as Mike Brown is a stubborn SOB, Palmer's playing days might be kicked. So you're pretty much stuck with Henne and have to hope for the best. :)

10. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    I dont think Mcnabb ever got the love and respect he earned........having said that....No thanks to him with Miami. There are better options, hes older, and never played in a offense we will be running.

Tin Indian likes this.
  11. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    [I am obligated to point out before any and all Peter King tidbits that Peter King is an idiot]

I don't really understand all the "HE DOESN'T HAVE THE EYE OF THE TIGER" **** that is associated with McNabb. Ersatz
    psychoanalysis aside, what does it matter right now? We need someone to hold the fort down, and who can do a competent enough job for the current coaching staff to prove or disprove they deserve more time and that they deserve another crack at developing a quarterback.

I think it's pretty reasonable to suggest that McNabb perform significantly better here than he did in Washington. For one, they'll run it a whole lot more than 36% of the time like Shanahan did in Washington. That in itself is bad management, especially if your quarterback has supposedly lost something.

Section126 likes this.
  12. Miamifan1354

Miamifan1354 Not Good Enough.

Jan 3, 2008
    I hope not. I made fun of all the Washington fans when he went to DC, I don't think I could stand him ending up in Miami.

13. schmolioot

schmolioot Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Orlando
    I agree that at the end of the day, Henne might be the best option, but that doesn't make him a particularly good option either.

The tallest midget is still a midget (no offense to midgets intended)

14. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    [​IMG]

15. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Well, McNabb has the career numbers to suggest he would be able to do that job for us, the problem is, he is not the McNabb from even 2 yrs ago, he looked very much like a fastball pitcher who lost his fastball in DC last yr and there is little reason to think he will magically get it back this yr.

Add in, for a vet qb stuff in DC like the 2 minute drill being a train wreck, and there are more reasons to pass on him then to bring him in.

16. Disgustipate

Nov 25, 2007
    What exactly is a fastball? I can show you a pretty good variety of well thrown deeper passes from last season with the Redskins.

And most of that **** is on the coaching staff.

Regarding the two minute drill thing, Mike Shanahan alternately said the following as for reasons: McNabb was less familiar with terminology, didn't practice the two minute drill since week 3 for the regular season, was injured and consequently pulled for Grossman, a "gut feeling", and "cardiovascular endurance" issues.

All of those together do not jibe, nor do many of them make any sense individually.

17. Colmax

Colmax Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2007

Would you elaborate? Run 'what' more?

**EDIT**

I got it: the ball. Came off as something else.

Do you happen to have the 'run vs pass percentage' of Miami's offense over Sparano's tenure? Brian Daboll's with Cleveland? Just to give us perspective. Thanks....

18. Disgustipate

Nov 25, 2007
    The ball. The Redskins last year were ridiculously pass-heavy. They attempted 605 passes(4th overall), and attempted 351 rushes(31st overall). McNabb averaged 36 pass attempts a game.

19. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    I think he meant run the ball.

I don't mind McNabb at all. He wouldn't be my first choice, but depending on how things unfold, we could do a lot worse. At the least, he would provide some form of hope for the locker room, in terms of competition for Henne.

20. Disgustipate

Nov 25, 2007
    Sure

Dolphins
    557 pass attempts, 445 rush attempts: Ran 44.4% of the time

545 pass attempts, 509 rush attempts: Ran 48.2% of the time

491 pass attempts, 448 rush attempts: Ran 47.7% of the time

Browns
    478 pass attempts, 413 rush attempts: Ran 46.3% of the time

443 pass attempts, 498 rush attempts: Ran 53% of the time

Now you see why it is ridiculous for people to repeatedly claim that the Dolphins are a "run first" off. Except 2008, they threw the ball more often than their opponents did.

Colmax likes this.
  21. Tin Indian

Tin Indian Rockin' The Bottom End Club Member

Feb 10, 2010
    Palm Bay Florida
    I have always liked Donovan and I think he has never gotten the respect he deserved, but I don't want him as our Qb. 4 years ago, sure. Not now, he isn't the same guy. Pass.

Guess were stuck with Henne for another year.:cry:

22. Colmax

Colmax Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2007
    Is it the coaching staff? Mike Shanahan is no slouch in coaching circles around the NFL. Donovan McNabb was a pretty formidable QB in Philly, but in Washington, regardless of the behind the scenes stuff, he did not simply produce as well as in years past.

New system, different terminology, coach doesn't like McNabb; whatever the case may have been, McNabb STILL had a very average (at best) season. He and Henne had similar stats, although McNabb only played in 13 games.

I like the idea of bringing in McNabb, and may the best man win. McNabb has a solid deep ball, and Henne, has historically been inaccurate with his. Could McNabb open up the deep game a little more? I think he does. This is a win, and teams will have to worry about that with McNabb. And that dynamic alone brings a little something different with this team. McNabb is also more mobile, giving rise to more plays down the field when the pocket breaks down. I really like that about his game. Henne does not really have that.

Regardless of what people think about McNabb, he can still be good for a team like Miami, who will play more conservatively (striking deep when the opportunity presents itself, rather than running a gun show), and let the defense help them win games. I think this defense plays an extremely important role in Miami's continued development to compete in the AFC East.

What hurts McNabb is his lack of familiarity with the playbook (if he indeed ends up here). With the short turnaround, I think it will lend itself to more mistakes. Historically, McNabb has been pretty good with his TD/INT ratio, but he had his most INTs thrown in his career last year with 15. System? Laziness? Who knows? But it did happen.

I welcome McNabb. Henne has a leg up on his familiarity with the system. The competition will definitely bring the best out of at least one of them, which is always good for the team. If Miami were to bring in Carson Palmer, I think it hinders the development of Henne because, with Palmer, the writing is on the wall. Unless Palmer gets hurt, Henne does not start. With McNabb, there will be healthy competition between the two.

23. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    I hate to (again) take up the contrarian banner but I did spend some time watching McNabb and came away somewhat impressed.

Anyone saying he's "lost it" physically...well, let's just say I question that evaluation. He threw a lot of balls at receivers' feet because he was trying to throw low. That's what you do when you're throwing over the middle, to prevent interceptions. Otherwise, you practically had to check his hand for powder burns because he was throwing bullets. There's NOTHING wrong with his arm.

Or his feet. He doesn't have speed anymore, but he's still got quickness. He reminded me very much of Josh Freeman, who has that cat quickness about him to go along with some mass, that lets him escape pressure. Freeman is one of the most elusive QBs out there and he never ran below a 5.0 in the 40 yard dash. McNabb is just fast enough to buy time on the roll and get the ball out but he's not like one of those younger, faster guys that will actually outrun the linebacker and take off running up the field.

The biggest thing I would say he was missing in Washington was a pass catching tailback. He had a pass catching fullback in Washington in Mike Sellers, and he put him to pretty good use just as he did Leonard Weaver back in Philly. But at tailback they had to use Keiland Williams for that honor. Yuck. He's a 2nd year guy without the quickness to beat linebackers or get open unless teams simply forget about him. They had to use him, because Ryan Torain was even more clueless in this area. LeSean McCoy and Brian Westbrook were important security blankets for McNabb in Philadelphia, and Andy Reid knew that. That's why he always focused on making sure Donovan had a player like that. Remember when they traded us a 5th round pick for Lorenzo Booker? Same thing, always making sure Donovan has that type of player. You can see it in his game, he likes to get the defense flowing toward him and then hit his outlets against the grain. Or he'll go through his reads long enough for the defense to forget about the tailback and then he gets it out to him. He used those guys a lot in Washington but I don't think they were a source of efficiency.

The receivers there were Santana Moss, Anthony Armstrong and Joey Galloway. Not trying to knock Santana because I think he can still be a #2 but there he was a #1 and Anthony Armstrong was a starter. Good production out of Armstrong but how much of that was McNabb and how much of that was Armstrong?

The problems I saw coming from McNabb were mental. He just looked unprepared on some plays, too willing to force things. Out of sync with his receivers, out of sync with the protection scheme. It makes me wonder if he and Kyle Shanahan didn't get along and were just in a constant state of battle with one another. Something got those guys off on the wrong foot. I've seen suggestions that Kyle Shanahan is a total nazi about his quarterbacks and the reason he prefers guys like Grossman and Beck (who have no footing in this league) is because they'll do everything exactly as he says to a tee with no individuality.

Nonetheless this is a guy that had something like a 91 QB Rating in Philly just a year ago, basically...and to suggest that he's suddenly lost it, without a major injury happening...I'm not sure that makes sense to me. If you have reason to believe that mentally he'll prepare himself better in Miami then there's plenty of reason to pursue him. He's a scary prospect, but no more or less scary than helping Chad Henne become the next Alex Smith/Joey Harrington/David Carr by giving him opportunity after undeserved opportunity with nary a legit contender in camp to wrest the job away from him.

24. Stringer Bell

Mar 22, 2008
    I don't think Chad Henne would be that much more familiar with the playbook than a veteran, if both were to be there at the start of TC.

25. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Keep one thing in mind when talking about Mike Shanahan and his offensive prowess. This I believe was the first year he's given up control of the offense. He gave it to his son, Kyle. Some might think oh well that just means Mike was still the de facto Offensive Coordinator but I'm not so sure. Kyle's eager to make his mark on the NFL and family dynamics being what they are I could see Kyle being even more sensitive to his father overstepping his bounds than he would be with a stranger as a head coach.

26. Stringer Bell

Mar 22, 2008
    To add to this, the Redskins' offensive line was awful, as was their defense.

27. Colmax

Colmax Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2007
    IF McNabb were brought in, do you think that makes Ronnie Brown more appealing to keep given his ability to catch the ball out of the backfield? Do not know anything about Thomas, but do potential FAs fit the mold, and does Miami possibly make a move on one?

Interesting. And this could very well have played a big role in the way McNabb played.

28. steveincolorado

steveincolorado Spook, Storme & Pebbles

Mar 23, 2008
    Colorado
    IF, we do trade a pick or something, I'd prefer it be Orton. My choice between McNabb, Jackson or Young would be McNabb. For a stop gap QB, I still think Orton would be the better choice. There's even rumbling out here that Fox is leaning towards Tebow. No proof, just crap you see on the local channels.

Killerphins likes this.
  29. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    I agree with most of this except McNabb over Jackson and Young. We went with a washed up QB before and look where that got us.

30. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    I think if McNabb is their guy, it makes it that much more likely that they go with someone like Reggie Bush, Ahmad Bradshaw or Darren Sproles. In fact when the Reggie Bush rumor first surfaced, my first thought was to McNabb and I said in one of my posts criticizing the move that the only way it would start to make more sense to me would be if Donovan McNabb were their plan at QB...and even then I'd not be comfortable with "setting the market" for Reggie.

I don't think they have that high an opinion of Ronnie Brown's ability to release on routes and get open. They seemed to always favor Ricky Williams on that stuff. Whether that belief has been a foolish waste or not remains to be seen, but I've always thought Ronnie was a good pass catcher and he started to show that in 2007 when Cameron decided to run the offense through Ronnie, until he got hurt.

31. Stringer Bell

Mar 22, 2008
    I think the McNabb talk is based on him being a FA. I could see us maybe giving up a 4th, but anything higher than that would mean you can probably get someone better.

32. Colmax

Colmax Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2007
    I agree, Ronnie has always been a good pass-catcher, but I see your point in his ability to separate from defenders.

With what you are saying, it is starting to put light on the potential backs they will pursue and the team's likelihood of pursuing McNabb. It almost makes too much sense.

33. Colmax

Colmax Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2007
    Indeed. Any word on what is likely to happen? I have to admit I am not versed in the labor negotiations....

34. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Not exactly an ideal situation having to count on a 35 year old career WCO guy making a transition to your non-WCO a year after he stumbled in what I thought schematically should have been a perfect fit offense for him. Like I said there are elements that make him a scary proposition. I may be fairly comfortable that physically he can hack it, after watching him more, but mentally? He looked checked out and I wonder if he'll ever check back in. Mentally he may be ready to retire, just not willing to put the work in anymore.

MrClean likes this.
  35. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    The Redskins have recently been talking tough about keeping him and trading him but in light of the salary cap being low as it is and the Redskins being above it...they may have no choice if they want to be players in free agency.

36. Nappy Roots

Nappy Roots Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Bradenton,FL
    I have always been a big fan of McNabb as a player. Hes never had much help around him offensively as far as weapons. He went to 3 straight NFC championships, then finally getting a great WR he went to the superbowl. He was a great player. But I have never liked him personally. Ive always thought he was fake, which is one reason a lot of teammates are not huge fans of him IMO. Id rather him be on the roster then going into next season with just Henne. However, at this point he would be one of my last choices.

padre31 likes this.
  37. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    That is the way I see it, bring in Orton for a draft pick, or sign Young to a 2 yr 1 yr option deal, or what have you, if that falls through then maybe McNabb..maybe...I do think he can bounce back if in the right system, the problem is I don't think he realizes for himself that he is not the same player he was even 2 yrs ago.

38. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    I think with the foot and knee injury, Ronnie lost a lot of his quickness and explosion.

39. Colmax

Colmax Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2007
    Yes, his mental stability plays a big role in the manner in which he plays the game.

You bring up a good point: Is he ready to put in the work? Maybe, maybe not. With years of coddling in Philly by Reid and Co. (and years of dealing with that crazy fan base), one has to think that if he ended up in a fairly stable situation (I think Miami, team and city, is one of them), if he would be able to function "normally"? That's the question.

McNabb's mental makeup has haunted him throughout the years, and we have to wonder how that will smooth over with the coaching staff here. I think he would be a pretty good fit/transition to a future franchise QB, type player. Regardless of what's said in the media, I have the feeling if Donovan does not get his way, the team does not get the best Donovan out on the field. As you alluded to with Shanahan's son, maybe it was just too much pressure?

I think he has a good year or two to make his last run before really consider him "done", mentally or physically. Maybe he does not work as hard? But I think given a good situation, he could still flourish. I think Miami is a good situation for him.

40. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    That's possible.