1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peter King Showing The Love

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by VanDolPhan, Sep 20, 2010.

1. VanDolPhan

VanDolPhan Club member Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Hamilton, Ontario Canada
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/peter_king/09/19/mmqb/index.html

The Fine Fifteen:

Defensive Players of the Week:

Ten Things I Think I Think:

Fin-Omenal, Ozzy, SCall13 and 28 others like this.
  2. DolfanTom

DolfanTom Livin' and Dyin' w/ Ryan!

Apr 26, 2008
    Saratoga Springs, NY
    This is all well and good, but we all know, if we lose next week, he'll jump off the bandwagon. But if we win, he'll have us up at #3 or something. That's the national media for ya! They overreact to wins and losses every week - no big picture to speak of.

I love what we're doing, but I wouldn't put us at #6 until we show some consistent offense, and we can play D like this against a truly powerful offense. I'd have us at 10-11 right now, trending upward.

DolfanJake and Larryfinfan like this.
  3. AbideN703

AbideN703 Yes, I'd hit it

Jan 7, 2008
    Springfield, Virginia
    Not from what I hear. Apparently no one is giving the Phins much credit for beating Minnesota.

4. VanDolPhan

Nov 26, 2007
    Hamilton, Ontario Canada
  5. Coral Reefer

Coral Reefer Premium Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Back in Miami

The importance of the Incognito signing hasn't been fully realized in our fan base nor on these boards yet. I saw him mauling people in preseason and it's continued. GREAT signing that will have a continued significant impact on our running success through the year.

PSG and HardKoreXXX like this.
  6. VanDolPhan

Nov 26, 2007
    Hamilton, Ontario Canada
    http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Week-2-post-game-notebook.html

Matt Bowen observation:

7. Coral Reefer

Coral Reefer Premium Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Back in Miami
  8. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    Gotta love your best defensive back using the term "collision"

High Definition likes this.
  9. VanDolPhan

Nov 26, 2007
    Hamilton, Ontario Canada
    What bandwagon? What I've posted is all I can find on ESPN, Fox, National Football Post, Yahoo and CBS Sportsline. There's no dog humping Miami's leg anywhere beyond Peter King who we all know actually watched the game and had to swallow his Farve love to give us those props.

LandShark13 likes this.
  10. DolfanTom

DolfanTom Livin' and Dyin' w/ Ryan!

Apr 26, 2008
    Saratoga Springs, NY
    Well, I guess I give Peter King a bit more weight than the others (I don't mean physically :lol:). To me, he's worth ESPN/Fox/NFL Network all by himself.

Good point, but if we win Sunday, we'll be the toast of the NFL, just watch.

11. VanDolPhan

Nov 26, 2007
    Hamilton, Ontario Canada
    I would sure hope so cause at 3-0 even if we play sloppy they can't deny there isn't something going on there.

12. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    zero..

and their saying that Farve played like an old man, which I completely disagree with.

13. BlameItOnTheHenne

BlameItOnTheHenne Taking a poop

Aug 15, 2010
    Davie
    [​IMG]

14. jupiterfin

jupiterfin Mild Irritant

Nov 29, 2007
    Jupiter Florida
    Great graphic and great gif.

BlameItOnTheHenne likes this.
  15. HardKoreXXX

HardKoreXXX Insensitive to the Touch

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    I couldn't help but think that during the game yesterday. He's been a pleasant very-under-the-radar signing. I went to a Vikes board last week where they referred to him as "The walking Personal Foul Penalty"

He's still a joke to many fans not in the know. My guess is they're not making too many jokes about him this morning.

16. mommabilly

mommabilly No riders allowed

May 3, 2010

LOL, correct, its just like his statement he made after the game " After we punched them in the mouth they kinda shut up on the front line " LOVE IT:up:

17. Samphin

Samphin Κακό σκυλί ψόφο δεν έχει

Again with a lot of Peter King hate in here. The guy goes out of his way to do a national piece on Cameron Wake a few weeks back and a lot of posters dump all over him for telling us stuff that we (as dolphins fans) already know.

Now he gives us a ton of pride and everyone rails on him for "swallowing his Favre love."

The guy covers the NFL. The NATIONAL Football League. In my opinion, he has always been pretty fair to us, why he continues to get dumped on here is beyond me. Most of you are offended if we aren't talked about 24/7 by the national media.

18. VanDolPhan

Nov 26, 2007
    Hamilton, Ontario Canada
    _Completely_ missed the point and with gross over exaggeration to. Congrats.

19. Da 'Fins

Da 'Fins Season Ticket Holder Staff Member Club Member

Dec 19, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    Agreed. I think the deal is that anyone who becomes a prominent media figure, will have haters. Just doesn't matter. At some point he/she will say something that will rub somebody the wrong way and they won't like the person. With millions following the NFL - the percentages are there.

But, King is a very accomplished and solid writer on the NFL. We have an advantage b/c we follow primarily one team - he has to follow 32.

That said, and this is not hatin' on him, he missed on selecting Jason Allen as one of the top defenders - every bit there with the other three guys. Not perfect, but still a great game.

20. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
  21. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    He's been fair to us. It's his constant love fest with Favre, Manning, teh Patriots and other darlings that sickens me, at least.

Oh yeah, and he thinks he's a coffee geek, but loves starbucks. He doesn't even know good coffee!!!!

22. Samphin

So it is okay for everyone to rip on him for being a "Pats homer," or a "Favre lover," is fine to overreact and make wild accusations, yet when someone questions why that happens, he is over exaggerating?

Officially a headscratcher for me Van. I understand ripping on Armando or even Omar since they are paid to cover THIS team. But national media guys like Peter King are supposed to cover all 32 teams on top of standard NFL news that isn't regulated to one team.

Can anyone find me how many times Peter King has blatantly ripped Miami for no good reason? Anyone? Because the last time I looked, he is about the only national figure that has highligthed little known defensive players like Cam Wake and pretty much predicted that the guy is a star in the making. He is then promptly ripped for it.

It is just confusing to me why a guy who seems to go out of his way to find stories about our team (outside of Ireland calling people hookers or Parcells stepping down, which is the easy way out in my opnion) is so widely panned here. It makes no sense to me.

23. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    We haven’t passed very often this year. It’s not surprising that we’re ranked that low in pass offense, because NFL.com ranks offenses and defenses according to total yardage.

Our low ranking in the pass offense category isn’t a big deal in that context. At some point, though, we’re going to have to cut Henne loose and let him and Marshall dominate games. Could happen sooner than we suspect.

DOLPHAN1 and Rocky Raccoon like this.
  24. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    They’re right on both counts. Favre did play like an old man, but he also played like vintage Favre with the multiple interceptions. And we did more to give the game away than we did to win it. Two fumbles, stalled drives galore, refused to challenge the Vikings’ mediocre pass defense...

This team is built for a deep playoff run, but if the offense continues curling into a fetal position around the 50 yard line, we won’t even earn a wild card.

ATLFINFAN likes this.
  25. 54Fins

54Fins "In Gase we trust"

Nov 29, 2007
    over there
    Noticed how you said that.:wink2:

I wish he does straighten himself out and continues to be a force,and Dolphin after the 2010 season. Now that would be a great pickup.

26. 54Fins

54Fins "In Gase we trust"

Nov 29, 2007
    over there
    Honestly,I think this is the week we do that.
    I had that strange aura today that the Jets will be looking to stop the run "only" and we pull a different look on them with Henne exploding.
    Like the Wildcat against the Pats.

27. Samphin

The guy is on the road more often than not. I cna forgive him to bowing down to the Starbucks machine when he is in a different town every night of the week.

Like it or not, Starbucks is available and consistent. For all the backlash people have for Starbucks, you know what you are getting. Half of the mom and pop shops people rave about are utter crap, the other half, seemingly amazing. If I was him, I wouldn't stray unless I knew for sure.

Nothing worse than going out on a limb for what ends up being a bad meal/drink.

28. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    And Chad Henne is in the top half of the league in passer rating, which is the stat you have to look at because we won't be near the top in passing stats since we are a run first team. That's why passer rating is the only stat that matters to me when it comes to passing. Oh and wins, 2-0 baby!!!

29. Samphin

Not for nothing, but Chad Henne is now 9-6 as a starter. Beating the Jets and he has a full season of starting under his belt with a record good enough to make the playoffs. :up:

30. ATLFINFAN

ATLFINFAN Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 23, 2007
    exactly right!!!

31. Rocky Raccoon

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    I'm not really worried about the offense. Looks like they are being eased into things while letting the defense win it. The season is still very young and I believe our offense will open up as it goes on.

FinFan_Est.1984 likes this.
  32. DOLPHAN1

DOLPHAN1 Premium Member Luxury Box

Michael Irvin gave us credit during the NFLN bradcast Sunday. When Prime Time was spewing about how bad Favre was playing, Irvin was in the background saying .."you gotta give the Miami D credit.."

I think you are right, I think we challenge that NJJ secondary this weekend. :yes:

33. VanDolPhan

Nov 26, 2007
    Hamilton, Ontario Canada
    Really? Let me make this real simple. There was a grand total of one 'slight' to Peter King in this thread and you blew it completely out of proportion. One slight and it's the "peter king hatefest"? Sorry but it just wasn't happening.

The entire point of the thread was to show how much the media covered it with any props to Miami whatsoever. I was actually giving kudos (hell the entire thread is named Peter King gives us love for christ sakes!). The only slight was pointing out the obvious in the fact that if Farve wasn't quarterbacking this team it wouldn't have gotten his attention as much.

But hey...blow one comment completely out of proportion to have an argument eh?

34. Clark Kent

Clark Kent Fighter of the Nightman

May 9, 2008
    That's an example of stats lying. What good is a great QB rating when nothing comes from it? 9/14 1TD. That's a 112 QB rating. You impressed? Me neither. I like the fact he has not turned it over. However, if the effort to not turn the ball over produces that sort of mediocrity, we're in big trouble going forward. There's a lot of games left, so we'll see what happens in the future. Hopefully things change.

As far as passing stats not mattering, because we're a run first team... Go check out Chad Pennington's stats in 08. That too was a run first offense, and Pennington produced a hell of a lot more without making critical errors. Those are the kind of numbers a run first team's QB is suppose to produce. So that excuse is just that, an excuse.

35. Samphin

It's chronic here Van. If you happened to notice, I referenced other threads and other occurences where people shat all over King for absolutely nothing. Obviously I understand that people were/are giving King his props, but others come in and give him a backhand because he talks about Favre a lot. Well guess what, Favre is one of the greatest of all time, he is going to get talked about.

My point is simple, King gets dumped on like he is Prisco or one of the local boobs who can't seem to get things they are paid to do, right. Whether in this thread or the 20 others I could probably pull up where he is slammed repeatedly for no real reason. But leave it to you to attack right away like I was singling you out or something. But anything for an argument, eh?

36. DolfanJake

DolfanJake Banned

Jan 15, 2010
    West Miami-Dade County
    I agree, way to early to call us a top ten team. We are anywhere from 11-14. Beat the Jets and Pats, and we should be 4 or 5.

37. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Peter King is living in Bandwagon City, meh...Nothing in that column convinced me that he even watched the game. A lot of his "analysis" could've been gleaned from watching a 60 second highlight reel. Incognito was our worst OL on Sunday. He single handedly killed two drives, and he rarely found respectable work on his pulling missions. Other than that he was pretty solid. Long was beast. Carey held his own, Berger is making me miss Jake Grove, and John Jerry is making me forget Donald Thomas ever existed. But I digress.

The last thing we need is a bunch of media types talking about how good we are. It motivates our opponents, gives some of our players a false sense of security, and most importantly, it drives up the betting lines. I can only imagine how bloated the bandwagon will be after we stomp Mark and the Fatman on Sunday night.

38. Jt0323

Jt0323 Fins Up! Luxury Box

Dec 7, 2007
    Las Vegas
    I know and I LOVE it! Everyone is talking about the vikes losing but not the phins winning the game.. One thing i did hate though was the top 10, #1 was Vonte Davis int and all the guy talked about was how he is surprised that was the number 1 play

39. Rocky Raccoon

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    Yes, I am impressed actually. It's not his fault they threw the ball 15 times. He hit on over 60% of those which is solid. I usually fall into the category of not getting too caught up in the stats, but QB rating is a damn good one. Do I want to see more from the offense? Absolutely. Do we need to score more than we have? Absolutely. Has Chad Henne played well so far this season in limited chances? Yes, I believe he has.

It's not Henne's fault the offensive coordinator is playing scared.

Yeah, let's compare a 9 year veteran to someone who's made 13 starts coming into the season. That's fair. :rolleyes:

BlameItOnTheHenne likes this.