1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peter King spends draft following Tannehill.

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by smahtaz, May 3, 2012.

1. smahtaz

smahtaz Pimpin Ain't Easy

Sceeto, MAFishFan, MonstBlitz and 4 others like this.
  2. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    Some great quotes. Love Philbin's dissection of three of Tannehill's losses. He's right, though he left out that one of Tannehill's three 2nd half interceptions against Oklahoma State was most definitely on him and the the third one was kind of partially his fault due to bad ball placement.

As I said in my review, dig in hard core and really strip away the bull ****, he was about 50/50 in those clutch situations. Not as bad as people say, but not good either. Needs to do better. Having a more complete mastery of his craft will help.

ssmiami and smahtaz like this.
  3. smahtaz

Looks to have all the tools. Does he have the "want to"? That seems to be the thing that seperates the stars from the also rans.

Good work today. Enjoyed the article and interview.

4. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    I have seen nothing that doesn't suggest he has "want to" in spades. One might say he has so much "want to" it is coming out of his wazoo.

smahtaz likes this.
  5. smahtaz

Yeah, me neither. He certainly comes across as a real competitor and team player. It's nice to have a little substance to hang your hope on for a change.

6. FinNasty

FinNasty Alabama don’t want this... Staff Member Club Member

Dec 1, 2007
    Really love the mental makeup of this kid!

7. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    I just can't see Tannehill completely busting unless he can't stay healthy.

Otherwise I think he's too smart not to at least be a decent starting QB given that and his physical skills.

I like this kind of personality for a QB too:

Realists are always appreciated.

Boik14 and smahtaz like this.
  8. Onehondo

Onehondo Senior Member Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Chesapeake, Virginia
    Great read! I really like Tannehill's enthusiasm and the way he projects himself. It makes you think, this kid only played 19 games, just think if he could have had 4 years of starting experience at A&M how good he might have been coming out? Especially if he could have had some sure handed receivers.

9. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    Good read but I hated the ending. I wish people, especially pro athletes would realize, "It is what it is" is not a clever or profound statement. Not trashing Tannehill for saying it so much as Peter King for thinking that was a great period to dot his piece.

10. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    lol It's not supposed to be. That's the whole point of it.

11. Colmax

Colmax Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2007
    Meh, it is what it is......

12. smahtaz

It’s obviously a situation he has no control over.

What would be you’re preferred response?

13. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    "And that's all I have to say about that."

dsteve likes this.
  14. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    Run, ryan run!

15. MonstBlitz

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    Like I said, not trashing Ryan for saying it. All athletes say it. It's their go to statement when they don't want to give a real answer or are stumped. I'm more criticizing Peter King for thinking that was a great way to end his piece. Just a pet peeve. No need for anyone to get defensive. I like our new QB too. I was a proponent of drafting him before he was drafted unlike some of you.

16. Loyal Fin

Loyal Fin Business as usual

Mar 22, 2008
    South Florida
    Ummm, dude, he was referring to the fact that he can't change the expectations of anyone. A realistic (like slickj said) approach to things he can't control is welcome...especially at that position. Work hard, but don't make boulders out of pebbles.
    I dont think King was trying to end his piece poetically or "deep." Infact, I think there was some skepticism from King. At the very least, doubt.

unluckyluciano likes this.
  17. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I kind of like the saying. I tend to see it as a statement about dealing with what you can control and not caring about the extraneous stuff. It's almost like saying "I don't sweat the small stuff'. I don't tend to see it as not wanting to give a real answer.

unluckyluciano likes this.
  18. smahtaz

I know what you mean about pet peeves. I've got dozens.

19. Da 'Fins

Da 'Fins Season Ticket Holder Staff Member Club Member

Dec 19, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    I don't think it will be a matter of "Want to" but of two things, as it always is for a QB, imo: 1) Coolness under pressure (the QB's that can do this make better decisions); 2) being a quick thinker with vision to see how things will unfold. A person can be smart, very intelligent, but be a slow thinker to digest information. He eventually comes to the right decision but just not instantaneously. Yet, processing information in 100ths of seconds can make a difference.

djphinfan likes this.
  20. smahtaz

Wow, that would be impressive. Anyone that can process information faster than the speed of sound should certainly have an advantage.

21. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

And it remains to be seen who was right and who was wrong.

22. MonstBlitz

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    Well, considering I never said I think Tannehill will or will not be a franchise QB, not sure I'll ever really be right or wrong. My only thought was that it was time this franchise made the position a priority and drafted a player with franchise potential. They did that. If Tannehill doesn't pan out, without the benefit of hindsight I'll still consider it the right pick.

23. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

Fair enough then. If he doesn't pan out, he could always be moved to WR too. ;)

MonstBlitz likes this.
  24. PhinsRock

PhinsRock Premium Member Luxury Box

Lots to like about our rookie QB, his skills, talent, attitude, intelligence, and fearlessness in my book all add up to a guy who may not be ready for a year or two, but once he is, we're likely to be set at the QB position for a good long time. Which is just what this franchise has needed since a certain #13 left.

25. unluckyluciano

unluckyluciano For My Hero JetsSuck

Dec 7, 2007
    Like most sayings it can be profound. Acknowleding reality, that's what that whole don quixote thing was about, remember?