1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peyton Manning Legacy- Why does he get a Pass when other QBs Don't???

Discussion in 'Other NFL' started by Disnardo, Dec 8, 2010.

1. Disnardo

Disnardo Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 8, 2007
    Hialeah, FL
    First of all I believe he is a good great QB, Elite??? Not in my opinion and his elite status is not showing currently, especially when he has not performed well when he is missing talented/skilled players in the Offense...

Now Brady... he makes everything work with what ever players are asked to play with him... Elite is what I would call Brady and after another HOF WR leaves he continues without missing a beat...

Well after Manning's 4 of 5 games that ended in losses which included 13 INTs (4 of them for pick 6's), Peyton is getting alot of love from the media...

Most if not all of the excuses (which are plausible), are the lack of talent playing with him... and good execution by Defenses...

He is missing his stud RB, his stud TE, his stud WR's (Wayne is back), and also missing good Offensive Linemen... his Defesne is giving up too many points and don't cause TO...soo...

"That can also be the excuse with about half the QBs' in the NFL, as far as complete Offenses go..."

I just wish someone in the media can say that same sentiment... that is all the should be said...

2. Section126

Section126 We are better than you. Luxury Box

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    He has a get out of jail free card...called a super bowl ring.

he is the greatest QB of all-time. period. He will own all the records and have a ring. end of story. he has had a bad patch of games. That is all. he also turns nobodies into great players. Jacob Tamme? really? Austin Collie?

3. unluckyluciano

unluckyluciano For My Hero JetsSuck

Dec 7, 2007
    this. he's won big games. He's had come from behind victories. He's taken over games. That is why he gets a pass IMO.

4. Disnardo

Dec 8, 2007
    Hialeah, FL
    I know about all the Sect... then they can say it like that... he is having a bad strech of games... but the excuses that they are using are just not appropriate... So who are the great players that he has turn them into???

Those you mentioned are the excuses the media pundits are using as to why he is not performing well...

5. Disnardo

Dec 8, 2007
    Hialeah, FL
    Yes all that with probowl players at his disposal...something that he is lacking all of a sudden...

Where are his come from behind lately???

Listen I am not arguing his "get out of jail free card." I just wich the media would have the audacity to say that Manning is having a few rough games, and he needs to improve his performance and break his bad streak...

6. unluckyluciano

Dec 7, 2007
    not sure if you watched the dallas game but he pretty much brought them back and then f'ed up at the end. I would still consider him performing a comeback to tie the game.

Disnardo likes this.
  7. Section126

Section126 We are better than you. Luxury Box

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    His current starting runningback was a 3rd stringer at the "U".

Jacob Tamme turned into a top 3 Fantasy TE when he replaced Dallas Clark.

he has serious issues at WR and is still putting up numbers. His offense is a timing offense and as soon as new people come in all of a sudden, mistakes are made. His O-line is terrible as well.

and really..Dallas Clark and Marvin Harrison were not so great...Peyton Manning is pushing those guys into the Hall Of Fame at this rate. Reggie Wayne was the 5th or 6th best WR the U has produced. He is a Hall Of Famer now.

Not a coincidence that all of those guys became BETTER players in the Pros.

Dolphin1184 and Disnardo like this.
  8. Nappy Roots

Nappy Roots Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Bradenton,FL
    If you gave Brady, Peytons current group of players, he would be just as bad. They BOTH can do it with any skill players. and I mean any. Offensive line is a different story. If you gave Manning, Bradys OL, you could take away about 6 or 7 INTs. and thats with his bum skill players.

9. ether79

ether79 ****

Dec 21, 2007
    Terre Haute, Indiana
    This, as much as I hate to admit it, being in the heart of Colts "country" and having to hear the crap all the time. The main issue regarding his play of late is definitely the lack of quality along the offensive line. Polian gets a pass for drafting Manning, but one of the stupidest mistakes he might have ever made was cutting Ryan Lilja, just plain idiotic and many of the problems stem from this move.

Disnardo likes this.
  10. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    I do not agree that Marvin Harrison was "not so great".

PondScumEsq likes this.
  11. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    IMO Peyton is one of the best ever. He did succeed with very few weapons last year, but he lost even more now. On Mike and Mike this morning Herm Edwards said that when you call a play action pass and the defense ignores the fake most any QB will struggle. Ironically, that's exactly the situation we put Henne in this year yet people want to use it as proof that Henne can't be good enough. Obviously, Henne in his first full year as a starter should be expected to overcome a situation that a 13 year HOF QB couldn't.

Dolphin1184 and Disnardo like this.
  12. Disnardo

Dec 8, 2007
    Hialeah, FL
    So we are mostly all in agreement...

He is getting a pass, because of the lack of talent around him...

to bad they don't ever use the same excuses for many other QBs' facing the same scenarios...

13. Nappy Roots

Nappy Roots Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Bradenton,FL
    Lol. We don't use that excuse because we have more talent then them right now right now, and our QB has a QB rating of 77 while Peytons is still very good at 89.

Disnardo likes this.
  14. Disnardo

Dec 8, 2007
    Hialeah, FL
    and Peyton has 12 years starting experience over Henne... how can we use it right???

also Manning has a 75 QBR totaled in just those 4 losess...

with YPA of 5.8, 7.6, 6.0 in those games...

look we know that he is being handicapped by the talent around him...

15. Disnardo

Dec 8, 2007
    Hialeah, FL
    Also we have noticed that Hene has a higher YPA than Peyton...7.1 to 6.9...

and Chad has had more games with over a 80 + QBR than Manning this year...

16. Dolphin1184

Dolphin1184 Member

Nov 30, 2007
    Augusta, GA
    Not an elite QB? HAHAHAHAHAHAHA. NO ONE in the NFL is an elite QB then.

Layfield likes this.
  17. Jaj

Jaj Registered

Mar 23, 2008
    Los Angeles
    I'm telling you Ireland trades down during FA for a late late 1st round pick (maybe we get a 3rd and switch of our 3rd for a 2nd) and we give Manning 4/80m making him the highest paid. You want a SB he'll get you one with this team.

18. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    I've always said, and always will think, that Brady is the better QB. Manning is an awesome technician, but he folds under pressure ALWAYS.

what big games has he won? He kept getting his arse handed to him by the Patriots. So much so, one year he cried so bad they changed the enforcement of the 5 yard rule for wrs/dbs. Manning is a fraud IMO. He's the reason the Colts are the Atlanta Braves of the NFL.

The one year he FINALLY wins a superbowl they do it with Manning choking as usual in big games. Yes he finally beat Brady in the playoffs. Who was Brady's WRs? Reche Caldwell was his leading WR. And old corey dillon his leading RB. But what did he do leading up to that? In KC he played a terrible game but lucky for him KC was even worse. Against Baltimore? Please. They don't win without a stellar defense that year.

It's a team game and he helped them win, sure, I'm not taking that away. But the one year he wins a ring he plays terrible. But for the defense no ring. The rest of the years he has left empty handed.

How can someone that is so great be overrated? Easy. By trying to name him #1 all time, which is just flat out wrong (in my opinion of course). Dude is a choker. When the patriots went 17-0, remember that? THey played the Colts. The colts had the lead, brady leads them down to the end zone. Manning gets the ball. Did anyone here think, "this is automatic, Manning will win this." I sure didn't. And of course, he didn't. Much to my chagrin cuz I wanted NE to lose soooooo fricking bad. But he failed. Again.

Disnardo likes this.
  19. Layfield

Layfield New Member

Dec 4, 2007
    Did you have this thread typed up 7 years ago, and were waiting for his first bad 3 game stretch to post this topic?

Disnardo likes this.
  20. Disnardo

Dec 8, 2007
    Hialeah, FL
    Naw, I was not, but good point none the less..

Again I don't hate the guy and have a huge amount of respect for him... but in his first 5 years Manning would lead his team to the Post Season and not win the big games in the Post Seson when it counted...

mind you he was a # 1 pick in the NFL... I am not taking anything away from what he has accomplished, but elite is when a QB can guide the team to a win with minimal talent around him, consistantly... He did some of that last year, and now this year he is definitely struggling...

He would be my 3rd choice for QB this year behind Brady, and Vick... but that does not mean the guy is a great QB...

Maybe the wear and tear of the season is kind of taking its toll also...

and Jaj is correct and has put up a fact... on Mannings only SB (2006)... He played awfull in the Post Season (avg 66 QBR- 2 TD, 6 INT), and if was not for his Defense playing lights out that Post Season, the Colts would still be looking to make it to one...

see quotes from game breakdowns:

21. Anonymous

Anonymous Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Jul 5, 2009
    His playoff stats are better than Brady's. Also, he has more 4th quarter comebacks and game winning drives than Brady. Plain and simple, Manning is the man, no matter how much you don't want him to be.

22. Disnardo

Dec 8, 2007
    Hialeah, FL
    Not contradicting but offering another view of this...

Maybe Brady did not need to have as many come back game winning drives in the 4th quarter as Manning to win games...

jdang307 likes this.
  23. BigDogsHunt

BigDogsHunt Enough talk...prove it!

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    Peyton Manning not Elite????

Wow, Henne doesnt stand a chance to be judged fairly if we cant agree on that slam dunk quy.

24. jdang307

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    Yeah, the Atlanta braves had more Division championships and Cy Youngs than anyone during their reign, but only 1 WS ring. Would you rather be them, or the Marlins who won it twice very quickly. Manning is the man. Nobody said he wasn't. But he isn't the Top Dog.

At the end of the day, you need a guy to win the game for you, who is it Manning or Brady? I take Brady every day and twice on Sunday. And he's showing not only is he clutch, but he's also damn good too. Manning is clutch as long as it isn't the playoffs. What good is that. He's Alex Rodriguez of football. The man during the regular season. We're ALWAYS making excuses for Manning. Oh he had no defense. Oh his WRs are hurt. His Oline sucks.

As bad as the year Manning is having, does anyone realize that his INT % is the exact same now, as it was last year? 2.8%, which is also, coincidentally, his career average. So he's not having a down year INT wise. He's right in line with his career. See, we've come to accept his mediocrity ;) Can you say, overrated!

He does throw for a ton of yards though, I'll give him that. He is the man. Top 3/4 at least. Don't get me wrong, I'm not arguing he's a scrub. But he's a stat monger.

As much as I hate to say it (because he's in our division and I hope he breaks a toe that prevents him from ever playing again) we don't make excuses for Brady. We find ways to discredit him. And therein lies the difference.

25. Anonymous

Jul 5, 2009
    I don't know how you can check that. But to assume that Brady is the better comeback QB isn't true.

26. Anonymous

Jul 5, 2009
    He won a Superbowl.

And no, I can't say overrated. Why? Because he's going to shatter every QB record by the time his career is over. He is the ultimate QB. Better than Brady, better than Montana.

I never find myself making excuses for Manning. He did choke a lot in the playoffs early in his career. And people keep basing their opinions on Manning off of that. Lately, however, he has stepped up when his team needed him the most in the playoffs.

I have a question for you. Who's better, Marino or Montana?

27. Disnardo

Dec 8, 2007
    Hialeah, FL
    Well we can check teams leading at the start of the 4th quarter or the last drive of the 4th quarter if teams were behind... We cannot check all the way back when Manning started because games were not detailed in that matter...

So we can settle for the start of the 4th quarter or look at game stats when drives were noted and given as stats...

Again if the team is ahead by the end of the 4th quater, there would not be a game winning drive needed... IIRC, In his career Brady has only lost 2 games when winning, only twice in the start of the 3rd quarter...

28. Disnardo

Dec 8, 2007
    Hialeah, FL
    So did Trent Dilfer...

Anyways want to look at Post Season Stats... from NFL.com...just got to add the numbers...

For the record...

Manning post season record with Colts... 9 wins (including 1 SB)... 9 losses... 18 games...

Brady post season record with NE... 14 wins (including 3 SB)... 4 losses (including 1 SB)... 18 games...

Manning Post Season QB stats...
    62.28% completion rate... 7.6 YPA... 28 TDs... 19 INTs... 87.7 QBR...

Brady Post Season QB stats...
    62% completion rate... 6.5 YPA... 28 TDs... 15 INTs... 85QBR...

29. Anonymous

Jul 5, 2009
    You just proved my point. Manning has been as good as Brady in the playoffs, especially in the last few seasons.

Also, let's not forget spygate here. Manning didn't need to cheat to win.

Disnardo likes this.
  30. Disnardo

Dec 8, 2007
    Hialeah, FL
    LOL... spygate, at least there will always be that as well as MLB players and steroids...

both players have almost identical stats... one thing that seperates them in the Post Season are the wins... and Super Bowls...

31. Anonymous

Jul 5, 2009
    I don't know why you're laughing at the spygate comment. The Patriots cheated, plain and simple.

Also, you can't just compare playoff wins and superbowl wins and say that one is better than the other. You can only judge what each individual has done. So far, Manning has been better. He has also shown, as I pointed out, the ability to come back and lead his team to victory. Sure, he choked in the beginning of his career, but I don't see that so much anymore.

Disnardo likes this.
  32. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008

Raffie.... Manning threw the pick six in the SB last season. Porter jumped the route. :wink2:

33. Anonymous

Jul 5, 2009
    True. Although, I would put a majority of the blame on Wayne, who flat out stopped his route, Manning did throw a pick 6.

Disnardo likes this.
  34. jdang307

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    Peyton Manning is awesome. He's just right below Brady. :) Put it this way. Peyton has the better numbers. Yes. Brady has the rings. Yes.

But Brady has also shown he can throw for Peyton numbers. He's just never had to. They gave him Welker and Moss, and he tore it up. They took away Moss, and he's still tearing it up. His playoff stats are not better than Brady's, and his playoff record (yes I know, team game) is much worse.

All Peyton has, is career numbers. He did have a good game today though. They (the team, not Peyton) don't look too good though, letting the Titans stick around.

35. Disnardo

Dec 8, 2007
    Hialeah, FL

and I believe in Spygate to some extent...

So Porter's statement at the end of the game, that siad, as "soon as he saw the formation fifured out what the partern was and jumped it." Not verbatum but soemthing around what he said to the media afterwards...

Yeah, keep blaming the WR on that one...

Anyways, I like Manning, which he was a Dolphin, but IMO again, he is not elite in my book, due to the talent he has had around him in his career...

36. Anonymous

Jul 5, 2009
    But he does have better numbers in the playoffs than Brady. Disnardo posted them.

Also, who is better in your opinion, Marino or Montana?

37. Anonymous

Jul 5, 2009
    Porter did jump the route, but if you don't think Wayne slowed down, then I don't know what to say. He could have continued his route and at least broken the pass up, but that's history.

I don't know how you can say he isn't elite with the type of numbers he puts up. He's Marino with a ring. He's one of the 5 best QBs of all time. His team isn't even that talented. Look at what he's doing with tamme, or what he's done with Collie and Garcon. You can plug any receiver in, and Manning will make him look good.

38. unluckyluciano

Dec 7, 2007
    You missed the point. Trying to make petyon manning look like an average or even just good qb to make the point that other qbs should indeed get excuses as well is lunacy. Other qbs get the same excuses, just maybe not for the same amount of vigor, but other qbs are not peyton manning who has proven many times he is a good qb. Peyton has made at least one comeback this year I know of, as I showed so you were wrong for saying he hasn't made any comebacks. He still has 3K plus yards and is close to being around his average even for ints. Your argument is invalid.

39. Disnardo

Dec 8, 2007
    Hialeah, FL
    I never said Peyton was average...

I stated the Peyton IMO, is great, not elite... he is sure no average Joe QB... and would die to have him on our team...

and I never stated he has not made any career comebacks... All I stated was that he does not have as many (career wise) as Brady, maybe because the team was ahead and no comebacks were as necessary as maybe the Colts needed at the end of the 4th quarter of games...

and my argument... over 3,000 yds and the team is 6-6... with guys like Collie, Tamme and Garcon...

40. unluckyluciano

Dec 7, 2007
    hence the or good qb. fyi I'm not aware of very many good qbs who are where they are at because of the rest of the team as you seem to have implied.

I was referring to just this year. You earlier stated that he hadn't done it this year.

You don't think thats good? or are you going by the team record? And fyi garcon was banged up earlier in the year. So thats another injury.