1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PFF Article/Ellerbe A Colossal Fail

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Phoenician Fan, Dec 23, 2013.

1. KB21

KB21 Almost Never Wrong Club Member

Dec 6, 2007
    I don't think the desire to get rid of difficult personalities is a bad trait at all. The fact of the matter is, if Jeff Ireland had gotten rid of Richie Incognito like Joe wanted, all this negative publicity the team got this season would not have happened.

Martin was a terrible pick, and our GM missed many signs that Martin didn't have the mentality to make it in the NFL.

The jury is still out on Lamar Miller.

Daniel Thomas was a bad pick.

Koa Misi was a bad pick where he was picked.

John Jerry was a bad pick.

Charles Clay has developed. Rishard Matthews has developed. Nolan Carroll has developed. Jimmy Wilson has developed. Ryan Tannehill has developed and is still developing. Michael Egnew is developing. We don't yet know what we have in Dion Jordan, Dion Sims, Jamar Taylor, or Will Davis. Olivier Vernon has developed. Jared Odrick is better now than he ever has been.

2. ExplosionsInDaSky

ExplosionsInDaSky Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2011
    Yeah can't be mad about the draft picks made. We could have done better withdrawal some of the picks. 2013 could end up being a colossal turd but that remains to be seen.

3. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Sep 13, 2011
    Jupiter, Fl.
    But if difficult personality Dansby was kept, we would not need this thread. And maybe we could stop the run.

And I'm in the suspending Cogs more than a game or two was a BS PR move camp.

4. Boik14

Boik14 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    Good then we are on the same page

No its not enough. Because even though I understood why it was done, it made no sense. You basically took a player who had a betterr pedigree (Dansby)
    and swapped him out for someone at a similar salary (Ellerbe) who was coming off a SB which is always when players get overpaid. Even last year when Ellerbe had a good year rushing the passer, he was crap in pass defense (38/53/71%). Ireland hoped he would become Dansby and he didn't so now you are stuck with a lower upside player at the same cap hit. How does that make sense? You always look at the upside of the player you are bringing in and the player you are getting rid of. Even in the wrong scheme, Dansby played better even with a torn triceps.

And dont say that about Vernon. There were a few of us, myself, Rocky, DJ and at least 2-3 others who I distinctly recall making posts saying he could be an 8-10 sack guy.

So was I.

Thats how you view things and youre entitled to that belief. My thoughts on Ireland are the same as they are on any bad GM; he has his share of "hits" but when the misses are substantially more thats when we have a problem. And Im not into the whole "lets not criticize him because hes a Dolphin" thing that some are. I want to win. Its been a damn decade since this team has been a playoff contender, save for 1 year under Parcells/Sparano/JI, and if I have to be critical of JI then I will be. Is he as bad a GM as Cam Cameron was as a coach? No. But he is decidedly below average in my opinion.

Your thoughts in the Ireland debate is noted. I will try and limit that.

I think this is where we disagree most. The players do win games but who assembles the roster full of players? There are plenty of GM's making well in to the 7 digits. I dont feel sorry for them. When you get those Mannings or Brady's and Luck's you still have to assemble effective teams coaching staffs and systems around those guys to suit their skill sets and thats also a make or break area.

Rhody Phins Fan, KB21 and ssmiami like this.