1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PFF Draft Grade

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by smahtaz, May 8, 2015.

1. smahtaz

smahtaz Pimpin Ain't Easy

danmarino likes this.
  2. Ronnie Bass

Ronnie Bass Luxury Box Luxury Box

Dec 19, 2007
    Put the cursor at the very end of the link, hit enter than save

3. smahtaz

lol

4. CashInFist

CashInFist Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2007
    West Virginia
    Get back with me in 3 years. I hate immediate post-draft grades. They are rarely accurate.

padre31 likes this.
  5. smahtaz

6. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    That's just a stupid gripe.

They aren't grading based on future performance, they are grading on how & when the Dolphins acquired the available talent.

So, you pretending your criteria is what is important to a grade system that has nothing to do with your criteria is pretty ridiculous.

7. CashInFist

Nov 30, 2007
    West Virginia
    You KNOW these post draft grades aren't accurate, and pointless. It takes 3 years or possibly more to give an accurate grade.

How's that Dante Fowler pick looking now? You just don't know. Nobody does.

8. PhinFan1968

PhinFan1968 To 2020, and BEYOND! Club Member

That's just it though...they're grading the "draft"...not Fowler blowing his knee out in his first workout and being lost for the season. Context.

But I agree with giving draft picks 3+ years, for most of 'em, less for some...to say they were a great acquisition. However, it's good to hear folks agreeing with what the Dolphins have been doing...it's usually the other way around.

Coral Reefer and CashInFist like this.
  9. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

Not 'stupid' nor 'ridiculous', just an opinion you disagree with.

This forum has far too much use of words that connote stupidity and degrade posters rather than simply refute the point being argued.

Let's start saying other people's views are '******ed' or 'brain-dead' next, since we are headed that way with how disrespectfully we address one another.

Coral Reefer likes this.
  10. CashInFist

Nov 30, 2007
    West Virginia
    This is FinD you're talking to bro. I mean seriously, is it worth it?

Coral Reefer likes this.
  11. Phoenician Fan

Phoenician Fan Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2013
    How do you do a piece like this and leave out stats like a 156 tackles and 9 sacks..http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/zach-vigil-1.html

9 sacks! For a middle LB; I say now, isn't that worth making some kind of remark? I mean a positive remark.

I think some of these scouts just blow off their jobs and make crap up. How do you lack instincts when you have 156 tackles and 9 sacks. Aren't high numbers in these categories the best indicators of true football instincts?? Not saying the only criteria by any means, but perhaps the most solid indicator of all of them. Who really has a great case for having the best nose for the football but the guy with elevated stats.

12. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Pay attention: PFF is not grading on how good the players will be. They are grading on how well the team drafted the available talent. The players we selected could all bust out and it wouldn't effect this grade, because this is about grading the process.

13. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007

Yes, its stupid or brain dead because the grades in question aren't about what he thinks they are.

This grade is about draft value and maximizing your picks. Its grading the process not if the player will succeed.

Basically, people are blasting this grading because they don't understand what its grading, that is brain dead in my book.

What you guys are arguing is like if someone did research and came up with a cleanest restaurants list, and then CiF said the grade was pointless because he didn't like the food of the restaurants in the Top 10. He's complaining about a grading scale that has nothing to do with the results he cares about.

14. DolphinGreg

DolphinGreg Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 7, 2014
    Just to set the record straight with a little bit of common sense...the draft is about optimal decision making when faced with large uncertainties. Grading the draft of each team should reflect how well that team minimized the uncertainties and/or made decisions which were robust to the uncertainties involved. Therefore, it is absolutely irrelevant what is happening 2 seconds after the draft, let alone 3 years down the road.

A person can't evaluate a decision using information that was only available after the decision was made. Doing so would be akin to saying "give me a time machine and I'll come back and tell you what stocks you should've invested in." It's absolutely possible that a team could make a great decision yet wind up with a bad player. Ignoring that possibility is foolish.

Fin D likes this.
  15. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Do think strategy in the Draft matters, also think the old "3 yr window" is complete BS in the face of Free Agency.

Congrats, the Franchise wasted 3 yrs developing a player only to watch them leave via FA..THAT is an *** backwards way of running things!