1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PFF grades are out for week 1

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by LBsFinest, Sep 9, 2013.

1. LBsFinest

LBsFinest Banned

Jul 24, 2012
    Jonathan Martin -2.3, looks like he's picked up right where he left off...Clabo was even worse, -3.3. Incognito had an okay game with 0.2, Jerry at -0.8. not shockingly all 5 OL had a negative run blocking grade.

Wake's rating was through he roof, Shelby had a positive pass rush grade, Vernon was the opposite. All 3 DT's graded out well. Ellerbe was better in coverage than he was against the run. Misi rewarded Ireland for his extension with a -2.4. Patterson, Carroll, and Wilson all had positive grades in coverage, Grimes wasn't great but wasn't terrible either.

Lamar Miller had a -3.3 in 37 snaps, Thomas was pretty average across the board in 33 snaps. Clay didn't block well at all.

Fin-Omenal, Sippi, gafinfan and 6 others like this.
  2. Bumrush

Bumrush Stable Genius Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Do they rate QB and WR performance too?

3. Phinfanjt

Phinfanjt New Member

Jan 29, 2013
    People care about PFF's grades or ratings? I prefer to watch the games and determine for myself

4. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    the ratings are interesting, but they don't mean much after 1 week. So, to pass judgements based on the opening game, on the road seems pretty silly to me.

5. LBsFinest

LBsFinest Banned

Jul 24, 2012
    Pretty sure we all watched the game, in a sense you're right, I don't need PFF to tell me Martin didn't play well, just posting these because PFF is a well respected site, not only do they give out performance grades for every single position on the team but they also provide information you'd be hard pressed to find anywhere else, like snap numbers, missed tackles, hurries, batted passes, etc...

Mile High Fin, Bpk and miamiron like this.
  6. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    Some of the signature stats are what really interest me.

They didn't have Ryan Tannehill getting the football out in 2.5 seconds or less as often as I clocked but the primary disagreement seems to be in the accounting of plays that turn into sacks or scrambles. I generally stop the clock when Tannehill pulls the football down, as he has clearly made the decision to run out of trouble at that point. I also stop the clock when a defensive lineman physically hits or grabs Tannehill in the pocket. Otherwise I see they have about the same percentage as I do in terms of actual passes that left his hand.

Jonathan Martin continues his streak of ultra-low Pass Blocking Efficiency (sacks, hits and hurries allowed divided by pass block snaps) marks since moving to left tackle during the final five games of 2012. He ranked #44 out of 48 qualifying offensive tackles in that statistic, with the qualifying standard being that you took at least 50% of your team's snaps this weekend. He ranked 51 of 57 if you lower the qualifying standard to 25%, and 57 of 63 if you tallied every single tackle that played.

Tyson Clabo ranked #17 of 48, #23 of 57 and #29 of 63 in the same PBE statistic at the three qualification levels among tackles.

John Jerry ranked #38 of 46, #46 of 55 and #53 of 62 in the same PBE statistic amongst guards, depending on which qualification standard you use.

Richie Incognito was #20 of 46, #20 of 55 and #25 of 62...same statistic at the three qualification levels.

Olivier Vernon ranked #20 of 25 in terms of Pass Rushing Production (sacks, hits and hurries divided by pass rush snaps) among 4-3 defensive ends that qualified by taking at least 50% of their team's snaps. He ranked #31 of 44 at 25% qualification, and #35 of 49 if you include guys that only took a few snaps.

On the other hand, Cameron Wake was second only to Lamarr Houston in that category this weekend, among qualifiers at the 25% qualification mark or above. He's a boss.

Jared Odrick was the #4 ranked pass rusher amongst DTs at the 50% level. Randy Starks was the #5 ranked pass rushing DT. Bosses, all around.

Dion Sims and Michael Egnew only combined for 3 pass blocking snaps. Neither player allowed any pressure on them, FWIW.

Joseph Fauria led all tight ends in yardage produced per route run during the game. Heh.

Brandon Gibson ranked #13 out of 32 slot receivers at a 25% qualification mark, in terms of Yards per Route.

Gibson ran 33 routes from the slot, and 0 routes on the perimeter. Brian Hartline ran 3 routes from the slot and 39 routes on the perimeter. Mike Wallace ran 1 route from the slot and 38 routes from the perimeter.

Can we finally put to bed this notion that Joe Philbin moves his receivers between all the different positions?

Daniel Thomas contributed 1.38 yards after contact per run. He averaged 2.33 in 2012 and 1.94 in 2011. He did create one Missed Tackle.

Lamar Miller only contributed 0.70 yards after contact per run. He produced 2.75 in 2012.

The Miami receivers combined for 57 yards after catch on 17 catches, a 3.35 yard average. One year ago, that average was 3.74 yards. The NFL average amongst all wide receivers in 2012 was 4.46 yards. The NFL average thus far in Week 1 for all wide receivers is 4.20 yards.

gunn34, dolfan32323, derek and 16 others like this.
  7. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    I don't care that often about the subjective grades but the statistics are a nice way to keep grounded considering how inconsistent peoples' memories and perceptions are across the board.

8. LBsFinest

LBsFinest Banned

Jul 24, 2012
    Yea, Tannehill was +1.9, pretty good, of the 28 QB's who have already played that was good for 12th. Hartline had the 6th highest grade of all wideouts, Gibson was average, no surprise Wallace had a negative grade.

9. LBsFinest

LBsFinest Banned

Jul 24, 2012
    I never believed this myth.

10. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Not that this necessarily means anything but FWIW if you were to take all of the offensive player grades from PFF and sum them for each team, then all of the defensive player grades and sum them for each team, then combine them together to form a team rating...

1. The top teams in the league at the moment are the Kansas City Chiefs and Detroit Lions
    2. The worst teams in the league at the moment are the Jacksonville Jaguars and Buffalo Bills
    3. Miami ranks #14 of 28 and next week's opponent Indianapolis ranks #15 of 28

mbsinmisc, gunn34, ssmiami and 4 others like this.
  11. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    No we can't, because you continue to not understand it, just as you still refuse to understand the whole "#1 Wr controversy".

Just because the receivers aren't moved around during each game, doesn't prove anything. Hell, not having receivers move around a lot over the season doesn't mean anything.

He wants the option to switch it up if necessary and it may not be necessary often. This is not a hard thing to understand, unless there's a personal narrative clouding one's judgement.

GMJohnson likes this.
  12. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    You're right it had the smell of BS from the start.

13. Mainge

Mainge Season Ticket Holder

Mar 23, 2008
    West Palm Beach
    Proof?

14. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Green Bay Packers.

15. Mainge

Mainge Season Ticket Holder

Mar 23, 2008
    West Palm Beach
    That's not actual proof.

16. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

Do you have the time to watch every play of every game every week and break down what each player did? If so, maybe you could start your own site to compete with PFF.

17. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

If I had the money to buy All-22 coverage, I'd do this, but with an island spin. Conch shells and Football or something cheesy like that.

18. Califin

Califin Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2007
    So what we can conclude with statistical accuracy, is that next Sunday, when we match wits and talent against the Indianapolis Colts, it will ultimately pit two opponents that together lead all other teams in the league, ranking 1st and 2nd respectfully, to determine a single, undisputed front runner, in absolute mediocrity.

Do you mean Sherman, or do you believe Philbin makes this determination?

TooGoodForDez likes this.
  19. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    Your signature is an abomination.

Califin and Fin D like this.
  20. Not So Fast

Not So Fast Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2012
    Lake Worth, FL
    Most likely yes

21. Alex13

Alex13 Tua Time !!! Club Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Berlin,Germany
    why do you just not GTFO...stay away

22. CitizenSnips

CitizenSnips hmm.

Nov 29, 2007
    PA
    i'd say yes but none of them have played well in the playoffs...so it doesn't really make any sense. Watt has done nothing postseason. Mathews was part of that defense that got steam rolled last year by SF. Im thinking you meant Aldon Smith (idk who miller is) who was pretty none existent without Justin Smith on the other end for him.

23. CitizenSnips

CitizenSnips hmm.

Nov 29, 2007
    PA
    so why not mention those in your post? Young QB almost ranked top ten this week? BRIAN HARTLINE was the #6 best wr in the league? These are great things.

24. PhinFan1968

PhinFan1968 To 2020, and BEYOND! Club Member

Can't accentuate the negatives with positives Sir...

Rocky Raccoon and Fin D like this.
  25. CitizenSnips

CitizenSnips hmm.

Nov 29, 2007
    PA
    and they were both drafted by Ireland...I think im on to something...

gunn34, Mile High Fin and Fin D like this.
  26. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    Come on, we all know once we saw who started the thread that it was going to be all negative. Don't be surprised, dude. I'm shocked Wake was even mentioned in the OP.

Mile High Fin and Fin D like this.
  27. Not So Fast

Not So Fast Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2012
    Lake Worth, FL
    You don't know who Von Miller is?

28. PapaC

PapaC New Member

Mar 3, 2013
    mooresville, NC
    I find these grades to be useless!

29. mommabilly

mommabilly No riders allowed

May 3, 2010
    I will repeat it ad nasueaum. We have two offensive lineman. Richie Incognito and Mike Pouncey. The rest would only play in lesser teams in the NFL. Whoever our scouts are suck at picking offensive lineman in the draft and FA. I thought it last year, the year before that. Dallas Clark was a wasted pick, Louis was a joke to sign, Clabo was not signed even for a one year deal by Atlanta for good reason, he sucks. If I was Ross I would first stick a hot poker up Irelands *** and then stick a hot poker up our scouts asss. For those that thought Samuda was going to be something/ er, wrong, if ONE OF OUR STARTERS GO DOWN, ITS GOING TO BE FUKIN UGLIER THEN IT IS NOW. Save the post folks,

Phoenician Fan likes this.
  30. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    For a wasted pick, Dallas Clark has had a pretty good career. :shifty:

31. CitizenSnips

CitizenSnips hmm.

Nov 29, 2007
    PA
    oh, that guy. I'll remember him in 5 weeks.

32. cuchulainn

cuchulainn Táin Bó Cúailnge Club Member

Sep 7, 2012
    Hattiesburg, MS
    LBF, can you provide a link?

According to this pff link, Tannehill's rating was +2.2 not 1.9: https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/09/09/refo-mia-cle-week-1/

Looking at other team's pff numbers, Martin's rating was on par with many of his LT peers as well... and Clabo had a higher rating than Eric Winston FWIW...

All in all, we expected them to struggle and they did. We also expect them to improve and they will.

As for the run game, both teams combined to average 1.8 YPC on 39 rushes and this with their vaulted first 1st round pick, Trent Richardson.

More... https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/09/09/pff-reaction-blog-week-1/

Misc: https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/09/09/refo-mia-cle-week-1/

Wake was a +7.8 and earned their AFC Game ball...

CWBIII, gunn34, GMJohnson and 3 others like this.
  33. Gunner

Gunner Rock Hunter

Jan 5, 2008
    Mobile, AL
    Since there was a lot of debate over letting Jake Long go and making Martin as our LT, I would be curious to see a comparison of their grades this season. I don't have access to much on their site though. Especially in our common games against Saints, Falcons, Bucs, Panthers. My preference was to replace Long with a player via draft (1st preference) or free agency because I wasn't sold on Jake returning to his pre-injury production, nor Martin's ability to be anything than a mediocre.

34. Paul 13

Paul 13 Chaotic Neutral & Unstable Genius Staff Member

Dec 3, 2007
    The 1.9 rating is overall for Tannehill... the 2.2 rating is when he was not pressured. Apparently there were some plays against Cleveland when he wasn't pressured. I know I'm surprised too. To be exact... of Ryan's 43 drop backs, according to PFF, he had 29 with no pressure, 14 with pressure (a -.6 rating).

keypusher and cuchulainn like this.
  35. Springveldt

Springveldt Season Ticket Holder

Not making excuses here but how much of that is attributed to going up against Joe Thomas? He's easily the best LT in the game. If Vernon produces such poor numbers next week I think it may be time to get nervous.

mbsinmisc, gunn34 and MrClean like this.
  36. Rocky Raccoon

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    It all has to do with going up against Thomas. I mentioned it in another thread but there were a few plays where Vernon had a good rush. Once, as Muck reminded me, he pushed Thomas all the way back into Weeden and another he was blatantly hogtied and ref standing right there didn't give a poop. It's really nothing to be concerned about, IMO.

mbsinmisc and gunn34 like this.
  37. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I don't know what Joe Thomas' grade was but according to the PFF article he did allow 5 hurries. I don't know who they credited them against. And wasn't Thomas also the guy beat by Jordan? That play may have been negated by Weedon luckily tucking his chin at impact and getting the face mask, but regardless the LT was beaten, easily.

cuchulainn likes this.
  38. maynard

maynard Who, whom?

Dec 5, 2007
    clearwater, fl
    iirc, Thomas had Jordan more or less stopped and Weeden was hanging in a bit long to try to make a play. I thought Thomas was very good, though I didn't watch every play. The only negative I could say about him is that he gave up a lot of ground. But when he planted, it was pretty much over for the DE. Wasn't going anywhere. The problem is that if the QB holds on to the ball too long, it give the defender a better chance to make a play, even though he is engaged. I used to think Jake Long was better (in his peak) because he would create a bigger pocket for his QB

39. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    That isn't my recollection. I thought Jordan beat him quickly. As for the rest of the time, I thought Thomas played pretty well, but I can't say that him having allowed 5 hurries would be so shocking. I didn't count them or anything and I can't say I even focused on him so I can't really dispute PFF's assessment.

40. Rocky Raccoon

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    If Thomas allowed 5 hurries then Vernon was probably responsible for a few of them. Odrick might have had one and Jordan too.