1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PFT: All signs point to Dennis Hickey being out in Miami

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by jinx, Jan 1, 2016.

1. jinx

jinx Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2010
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/01/01/all-signs-point-to-dennis-hickey-being-out-in-miami/

Pandarilla and cbrad like this.
  2. muskrat21

muskrat21 Well-Known Member

May 11, 2014
    this was obvious when tannenbum ran the draft and told hickey to f off.

3. cbrad

cbrad .

Dec 21, 2014
    Interesting.. the story says Tannenbaum won't name himself GM of the team.

This gives the Dolphins flexibility in hiring in case they do get a candidate they like who wants both HC and GM responsibilities. In that sense it's a smart move.. HC isn't tied to Hickey.

2socks likes this.
  4. Nappy Roots

Nappy Roots Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Bradenton,FL

No REAL GM candidate is going to take this job with Tannenbaum still here anyways.

gunn34, Finster and Pandarilla like this.
  5. Galant

Galant Love - Unity - Sacrifice - Eternity

Apr 22, 2014
    I won't be surprised if the next season is the same or worse with Tannenbaum and Ross running things.

I don't think Ross will see it, so down the drain this team goes.

6. 2socks

2socks Rebuilding Since 1973

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
    interesting move if they do it. Gee I am pretty sure one Chip Kelley wanted both HC and GM responsibilities........hmmmm

7. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    Hickey was average at best I'd say. Tannenbaum rolled the bones on DT Jordan Phillips after signing Suh to that galactic contract. Branden Albert was rehabbing a badly blown out knee and we passed on a great LT prospect in Jake Fisher (taken the next pick by the Bengals) to accommodate Tannenbaum's man crush. Then, and now, I think that we should have taken Fisher- need position and not an underachiever like Phillips. I'd like to see Tannenbaum dissect that move after Hickey is shown the door.

"Second-round pick Phillips: He has 17 tackles, two sacks and at least five pass deflections, but Campbell’s comments Thursday suggest the Dolphins don’t believe he’s ready to become a starter next season.

“He has improved and I think he has a bright future, but he has to work on being more consistent,” Campbell said. “I feel like over the last week, that improvement, we're not getting the gains that we had hoped for. He's got to be more consistent. He's kind of flashing right now and you don't want a flash player. You want somebody that's always up there and producing."

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/spor...-picks-stand-heading-into-the-final-game.html

8. invid

invid Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 9, 2012
  9. RoninFin4

RoninFin4 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Hickey did well in the Draft, but his FA moves have all waned. His in-season roster management was non-existent.

10. Pandarilla

Pandarilla Purist Emeritus

Sep 10, 2009
    Boone, NC
    I feel bad for Hickey. No legitimate shot to prove his worth, given no real authority. This organization under Ross is wrecking people's lives; from GM's to coaches to players to fans.

gunn34, Finster, DolphinGreg and 3 others like this.
  11. Galant

Galant Love - Unity - Sacrifice - Eternity

Apr 22, 2014
    This.

So many lives and futures damaged. Ross needs to get out of the football business.

PSG and Shane Falco like this.
  12. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Are people really getting maudlin over Dennis Hickey?

He wasn't a good candidate and got a commensurately short amount of rope. The fact that he didn't hang himself with it isn't and shouldn't be enough to keep his job safe.

13. RoninFin4

RoninFin4 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    2014? His FA acquisitions busted, for the most part. Aside from Landry, no difference makers in his draft class. Terrible job managing the roster in-season. Had chances to sign Eric Winston and Chris Clemons (twice) to mitigate Albert and Delmas injuries; Hickey didn't even sniff those two.

Pandarilla likes this.
  14. Pandarilla

Pandarilla Purist Emeritus

Sep 10, 2009
    Boone, NC
    You may be right, but how do we even know. Hickey actually listened to Philbin. Philbin was overconfident in his o-line and they had an unknown in Aikens. Not saying you're wrong, just that there might have been mitigating factors that we aren't even aware of. Ireland was famous for this type of in season BS. So, good point, I wasn't really thinking about that.

RoninFin4 likes this.
  15. DolphinGreg

DolphinGreg Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 7, 2014
    Hickey wasn't a great hire. We all know that. But it doesn't change the fact that he was ****ed by the Dolphins and once again the Dolphins will come out looking terrible as an organization. He was given one season in which to handle the draft while working with a coach that was obviously bad. We don't know what power Hickey had in free agency in 2014 and in 2015 Tannenbaum was basically handed the reigns.

Don't for a second tell me that's a fair shake. Maybe Hickey hadn't earned a shot at being GM to begin with (I'd agree to that) but every single GM candidate is going to look at that and laugh. There's no way you can treat someone like that and expect real candidates to be interested.

The sad reality is that this team will be Tannenbaum's until he's gone. Tannenbaum IS the guy running the show. I think the 7 years of evidence in NY shows he's not good at his job whether we're isolating free agency or the draft, so therefore I'll be surprised if he doesn't wreck the Dolphins.

The reality is that Hickey is under-qualified but Tannenbaum has proven himself bad. You can't exactly kick Hickey to the curb without treating Tannenbaum with the same contempt. In fact, we have 8 years in which to basically lay out a case that Tannenbaum isn't good.

We know two things: OJ did it and Tannenbaum can't do it. :)

16. Silverphin

Silverphin Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Well, I have to point out one thing.

PFT.

So, here you go, guys. I bought enough for everyone.

[​IMG]

17. Vertical Limit

Vertical Limit Senior Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Remember... hickey was Ross' 8th choice after we fired Ireland.. A lot of candidates rejected us an interview or offer from Ross...

I doubt we hire a GM. Tannebaum will be that guy.

18. CashInFist

CashInFist Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2007
    West Virginia
    I want rid of Mike Tannenbaum. Honestly. Do not like.