1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PFT: Jake Long Rumors are a Ruse

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by slickj101, Apr 21, 2008.

1. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    http://www.profootballtalk.com/category/rumor-mill/

"Surely, the Fins and Bill “My Way Or The Highway . . . And A Foot Up Your ***” Parcells would have to do everything in their power to squeeze Long into considering the offer, especially since Parcells is by all appearances committed to paying the No. 1 overall pick in 2008 less than what the first selection received in 2008. Absent such hardball tactics, the only deal that Jake Long would be doing is the JaMarcus Russell package, plus 15 percent.

So we think that these reports are all part of the broader ruse to get another player to jump on an offer that currently is on the table. And we suspect that the other player in question is Ohio State linebacker/defensive end Vernon Gholston. "

Hope this is true. This **** is chess after all.

alen1 likes this.
  2. HardKoreXXX

HardKoreXXX Insensitive to the Touch

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Ok I'll see you guys on Sunday I cant take this anymore :hangself:

3. feelthepain

feelthepain New Member

Jan 4, 2008
    PFT is worthless, regardless if the Jake Long stuff is true or not, I wouldn't believe a word that comes from the source.

PMZQ, MArino2Clayton and HardKoreXXX like this.
  4. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    Same here, I just don't see any logic or strategy in taking a player at the deepest position in the draft at #1. IMO he's def not that much better then guys that would be there at 32 so he doesn't warrant the spot at 1, or the $ he may get.

like2god likes this.
  5. dgb11112

dgb11112 Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2008
    Atlanta
    Ok Guys just to Clairify...

When the draft starts WE will not be on edge for 10 minutes to wait to see what we do...........

We are only all alloted 7 minutes.... Per new NFL rules

6. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    no, im pretty sure on day 1 its 10. day 2 is 7 if im not mistaken.

as for jake... wouldnt it be funny if all week we go through this whole jake long stuff, a deal is set, and agreement is in place, blah blah blah... then the comish walks out there... and says... "with the #1 overall selection in the 2008 NFL entry draft, the Miami Dolphins Select... __________" Fill in the blank with someone other than Jake. I think it would be hilarious. Just to throw everyone off and confuse everyone. I woudlnt mind Jake though, we need O-line help badly.

MArino2Clayton likes this.
  7. like2god

like2god Typical white person Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    CNY
    It seems like they are trying really hard to get someone to bite, but I don't think anyone will. I'd love to swap picks with Atlanta for one of their 2nd rounders, then select either Chris Long or Vernon Gholston. But it ain't happening.

8. PhinGeneral

PhinGeneral PC Texas A&M, Bro Club Member

Jan 4, 2008
    Swamps of Jersey
    That is incorrect.

First round is 10 minutes. Second round is 7. Third and beyond is 5 minutes.

MArino2Clayton likes this.
  9. dgb11112

dgb11112 Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2008
    Atlanta
    Yup you guys are right I was coming back to edit my post.

On day 2 it's 7 minutes. Thanks for the correction!

Celtkin likes this.
  10. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

Whether or not this is a ruse or they are really negotiating with Jake notwithstanding, PFT has been bad in the past, but they've cleaned up their act quite a bit. The only thing I dislike about Florio is that he still spins the story to the angle he sees on it which is quite often way out there. In his mind everything is a conspiracy theory and he'll bend words, just like any other media outlet...

At any rate, unless I hear it from the Commish on Saturday or Tunaland themselves, I'm not believing anything until then...

11. Nublar7

Nublar7 Senior Member

Dec 4, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Actually Day 2 it is 5 minutes.

1st round: 10 minutes
    2nd round: 7 minutes
    3rd round: 5 minutes
    4th round: 5 minutes
    5th round: 5 minutes
    6th round: 5 minutes
    7th round: 5 minutes

12. like2god

Nov 22, 2007
    CNY
    Truth be told, PFT is garbage.

I wanted to check to see how credible they really were, so I sent Florio a story on the Phins and he reported it without checking it out. It wasn't hard to dupe him, he runs a rumor site and he's looking for any bit of news he can get. They do get it right every once in a while, but even a blind squirrel can find a nut every now and then.

DOLFANMIKE likes this.
  13. unluckyluciano

unluckyluciano For My Hero JetsSuck

Dec 7, 2007
    Can I see your scientific data on just how many blind squirrels you have observed finding nuts? :hi5:

like2god likes this.
  14. like2god

Nov 22, 2007
    CNY
    I'll give you 535 examples

:tongue2:

unluckyluciano likes this.
  15. unluckyluciano

Dec 7, 2007
    pffft 535 times thats like jedi squirrel status.......

[​IMG]

like2god likes this.
  16. like2god

Nov 22, 2007
    CNY
    Unfortunately, my squirrel is too preoccupied at the moment to worry about anything else.

[​IMG]

I call him "Lucky"

unluckyluciano likes this.
  17. unluckyluciano

Dec 7, 2007
    Can't really argue with that..............

If I didn't have a sick avy already I would make that one my new avy haha.

18. unluckyluciano

Dec 7, 2007
    I had a pet squirrel named like2god and then when it tried to crawl into bed with me I started to get suspicious...........
    [​IMG]

like2god likes this.
  19. bran

bran Senior Member

Dec 20, 2007
    New Hampshire
    i dont believe anything until the commish reads the name
    either bill and ireland are blowing smoke or thats going to be our pick who the **** knows

20. Rick 1966

Rick 1966 Professional Hipshooter

Nov 23, 2007
    Powell, WY
    I hope it's BS...I wouldn't mind Chris Long, but I don't think Gholston is worth the first overall pick.

21. Kanye West

Kanye West 'Parcells' Guy

Mar 23, 2008
    Chris Long please

22. Dolphinsfan69

Dolphinsfan69 Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Things have changed. They used to be uncredible... but the fact is, they ARE a credible source of football knowledge/rumors. They actually have many of their own sources after working their way through the business. And they don't even claim to be "real journalists." Hell, the main guy is a lawyer. He just does it for fun. But i cringe when people say "AHHHH hell it's just PFT, they don't know jack." When in actuality, they have sources throughout the league. Sorry for the off-topic rant...

23. NaboCane

NaboCane Banned

Nov 24, 2007
    Barely enough time to get properly wasted.

24. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    thats why you have to drink a beer during every team's 10min time per pick. The first round is basically a 3hr power hr.

NaboCane likes this.
  25. NaboCane

NaboCane Banned

Nov 24, 2007
    I like it. Reminds me of a CSI: Miami drinking game I made up; you have to do a shot every time Horatio puts on or takes off his sunglasses.

love the sig. :up:

26. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    haha thanx man. Some of my friends and I were flirting with the idea of doing that beer per pick and then adding on another stipulation: Everyone makes their guess at who the team on the clock drafts, then whenever somebody gets 3 picks right, they can make someone else do a shot. It's a good idea in theory, but I do want to be conscious for round 2.

NaboCane likes this.
  27. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    If its not Jake, it WONT be Vernon. Why? THEY HAVE THE SAME AGENT!! You are seriously going to tell me Vernon would demand less than Jake when they have the same agent? Thats insane and would never happen. That would leave Chris, but I fail to see how this would help us with him?

The Jake talk is real, and unless we are still far apart (NFL Network keeps saying its getting closer) he will likely be the pick.

I dont doubt that PFT is a decent news source these days, but this one I think is not quite so true.

28. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    They are represented by the same agency, They DO NOT have the same agent.

29. DOLFANMIKE

DOLFANMIKE FOOTBALL COACH 32 YEARS Luxury Box

Mar 22, 2008
    California
    looks like he's been hanging around Wicky Williams

like2god likes this.
  30. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    Right, Long is Condon and Vernon is Dogra, both of CAA. Still, the point stands. They wont let Vernon take a significantly lower deal than Jake, nor should he imo. If its down to dollars again, they will go and pick Jake. While individual agents will look out for themselves, the agencies will keep things fairly consistent. Wouldnt Dogra want his client to make the same as Condons?

NFL network keeps saying we are getting closer to Jake anyway. There is no deal worked out yet, but both sides have agreed on base parameters. Unless something happens, its looking more and more likely that he is still the frontrunner.

31. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    If the player wants to make the deal, then they make it. IMO Condome is more likely to want more money because:

A) Hes always been a pain in the *** who cares about getting more high profile signings (ala the attempt with Brady Quinn) because he wants to continue making a name for himself.
    and
    B) Long was projected fairly higher then Gholston, so they'll probably feel their entitled to more.

Gholston is more likely to sign for less IMO because hes the opposite of what I just said about Long. He'd actually be benefiting by getting more money then he would if he goes lower/we sign Long. I dont know Dogra's intentions but I know there arent very many agents as greedy as Condome so I wouldnt be suprised if Dogra cares a little less about the money.

IMO there is def a big difference between being represented by the same agency vs. the same agent.

BTW I do think there is some significance to the fact that Jake Long has said nothing about wanting to play here or refute rumors that he did not want to be in Miami. Where as Gholston has already gone on record saying that he would love to be here.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2008