1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PFT - Vikings Prepared to give Wallace 13 Million per year

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Bumrush, Mar 12, 2013.

1. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    FF...lol

2. KB21

KB21 Almost Never Wrong Club Member

Dec 6, 2007
    http://www.nationalfootballpost.com...tml?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed

Does anyone really still want to argue that Wallace is more than just an outside, vertical stretch receiver?

Which is precisely why this is a bad move for Miami. Mike Wallace is an outside, vertical stretch receiver that is signing a big contract to play in an offense that desires to have the receivers be interchangeable and run complete route trees.

http://onmilwaukee.com/sports/articles/packersroutetree.html

I bring this article up yet again because the Packers offense is what the Dolphins are trying to establish in Miami.

This is why Mike Wallace is a bad fit for this offense.

This is why Brandon Marshall was a bad fit for Miami in this offense.

Another reason Wallace is a poor fit. Basically, signing him pretty much eliminates the diversity of your route tree and the interchangeability of your receivers in this offense.

Could you imagine Brandon Marshall's attitude if he had to run very many combo routes to get someone else open?

And there you have it. Miami is going to give a big contract to the player that will ultimately be the weak part of the tree.

3. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    [​IMG]

4. Serpico Jones

Serpico Jones Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2012
    All that crap works when you have Aaron Rodgers throwing the football. Philbin found out last year what life was like without Rodgers.

5. vt_dolfan

vt_dolfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

"And there you have it. Miami is going to give a big contract to the player that will ultimately be the weak part of the tree. "

No offense..but in your opinion. I think everyones pretty clear on who likes and who doesnt like Wallace. Lets just see....and...hell...why not just hope for the best?

If we get some playoff wins this season.....we will ALL be happy.

6. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Brandon Marshall can manipulate the eye of even the best of talent evaluators, jmo, I was told I was crazy by a great one because I would take Percy Harvin over Marshall..meanwhile Adrain Peterson does not think I'm crazy, calling Harvin the best football player he's ever played with, and the Seahawks offering up a first round pick for the 25 year old and willing him to pay him 13 a year..hmmm.

Brandon Marshall is the epitome of a one trick pony..he's great at the trick though..and he's tall with a great intimidating body, Wallace will have much more impact on the offense than Marshall imo..

Fin D likes this.
  7. KB21

Dec 6, 2007
    I've actually said in other threads that I would rather pay Jennings $35 million over 3 years than pay Mike Wallace $80 million over 6 years. So no, I don't expect Jennings to get Hartline money. He's a better receiver than Brian Hartline and Mike Wallace both. I wouldn't go much above Brian Hartline money for Mike Wallace though.

8. Section126

Section126 We are better than you. Luxury Box

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    we were arguing NOW..not their careers. Don't change the subject. There is no argument as to who is better now.

and how did he work out for Chicago? splendidly.

9. Fineas

Fineas Club Member Luxury Box

Jan 5, 2008
    I hear ya, although I think we will probably be regretting it in a year or two. Even if Wallace does his 1100 yards and 7 TDs per year year most people will feel he is overpaid and will want to cut him to free up cap space.

BTW, I'm not sure if your "All-Combine 3 round Mock Draft" is serious or facetious, but I love it. I'm not usually much of a Combine guy, but I think all of those guys (except maybe McDonald, who I haven't seen much of) are good players with huge ceilings. I'd be shocked if Hunt is there in the 3rd. I'd take him in the 2nd -- he's still developing but has unlimited potential.

10. Section126

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    nice. Thank god, you're not the GM.

11. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    This......

They are up to something I can smell it....those dirty f%cks....

12. resnor

resnor Derp Sherpa

Nov 25, 2007
    New Hampshire
    All that stuff is well and good, KB, but as has been said many times in the past week, I don't believe Ireland would shell out this much money for Wallace if Philbin said he wouldn't work in the offense. So, if they sign MW, I would assume that Philbin believes MW is a fit for the offense, and that's good enough for me.

13. KB21

Dec 6, 2007
    So it is just my opinion that Wallace is a limited outside vertical stretch receiver that doesn't catch tough passes over the middle and can't play anything but the X receiver position.

I was told to sit back and hope for the best with Brandon Marshall too. Look at what hoping for the best got us there.

LOL at the idea that adding Mike Wallace = playoff wins for Miami.

Steve-Mo likes this.
  14. KB21

Dec 6, 2007
    Despite all the evidence to the contrary. Joe Philbin is going to have to drastically alter his system to fit this guy in, and if he actually thinks Wallace fits, then we have the wrong head coach.

15. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

I don't want to argue it. Not because it isn't true, which it isn't. Just watching Wallace play shows him making a high pct of his catches between the numbers and on non vertical routes. It is just fruitless to argue about it anymore. No one is budging from their stances, and we'll find out soon enough if he is a Dolphin or not.

Stitches likes this.
  16. unifiedtheory

unifiedtheory Sub Pending Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Burnaby, BC, Canada
    I won't be nearly as excited about getting Mike Wallace as some of you will be but I will be pleased that we are adding a weapon. I will also be happy it means we can focus on other position at the draft table.

17. KB21

Dec 6, 2007
    Actually, it probably puts more emphasis on drafting a wide receiver. We need someone that can take Wallace's spot in 2 years when we are begging someone to take his contract off our hands.

18. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    Be leery on him, he needs to prove it again, because he BUTCHERED the Manning thing last year....

19. Section126

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    Before this devolves into a Greg Jennings vs. Brandon Marshall debate...

IMO, and my numbers support, that Greg Jennings has had a better career than Brandon Marshall.

But one guy is clearly better than the other now....and is also not starting an injury history at 30.

20. Samphin

Samphin Κακό σκυλί ψόφο δεν έχει

Steve-Mo and Stitches like this.
  21. Canad-phin

Canad-phin Active Member

Oct 17, 2012

Not going to completely disagree with you but has he been asked to do these things? I think his coaches fell in love with him running deep, especailly Arians. But last year I watched him run crossing routes, short post patterns, slants. I like the links you posted, sure makes me pause but I'm curious if he has been asked to do these things instead of he is not capapble.

22. FinNasty

FinNasty Alabama don’t want this... Staff Member Club Member

Dec 1, 2007
    KB... lets move beyond whether or not to sign him for a second...

I would assume (and maybe you disagree with me here on this, let me know if you do) that if we are signing him, that Philbin/Sherman have a plan for how they are going to use him within their offense... or adapt their offense slightly to make him fit. I hardly doubt they are just going "Whos ESPN's #1 available WR in FA? Mike Wallace is? OK, lets sign him!". I'm sure they have a feel for his cabablities/talents/etc... that they've studied his tape, done their research, etc.

So, if we sign him, I would think they would have a plan for him. My question would be... what do you think their plan is for him? Scheme-wise... what do you think would be the best way to maximize his ability and get the most return on our investment... while still making sure the overall offense remains productive?

If we sign him... they obviously see it as a fit, or believe they know what to alter to make it a fit. So, how do you think they would go about molding their scheme to fit the talent and abilities of their players?

DolfanTom likes this.
  23. KB21

Dec 6, 2007
    So all of these personnel executives and people that actually watch film and understand routes are simply not telling the truth about Mike Wallace when they say he's an outside vertical stretch receiver that doesn't do much of anything else?

24. Section126

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    we have established your position on this, but thanks for re-emphasizing it for the 50th time.

25. Claymore95

Claymore95 Working on it... Club Member

Sep 8, 2012
    Peebles, Scotland
    Just 50? Oh, you meant today, gotcha.

Stitches likes this.
  26. finsincebirth

finsincebirth Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2007
    I usually respect what you say, but that is a pretty arrogant statement.

Ducken likes this.
  27. vt_dolfan

vt_dolfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Could he be an outside vertical stretch reciever..that hasnt been asked to do much else?

I mean...if thats what worked for Pittsburgh..and when you look at his stats...obviously it did, why would you change it?

28. Section126

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    why bother? KB already said earlier that Philbin should be fired if we sign Wallace on his recommendation.

29. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    The best thing about Philbin potentially recommending Wallace is that it torpedoes the comments about Wallace not fitting the offense.

Section126 and finyank13 like this.
  30. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    Giving Wallace big money will be a very bad decision. But I'm not sure a bad decision would be worthy of firing. There is a lot more to it than what happens on the field. The Dolphins are also soliciting votes for a $200M tax subsidy.

31. KB21

Dec 6, 2007
    If you use him as mostly a vertical stretch guy, he will be productive but not productive enough to justify his contract. You are going to have to move away from a timing based passing offense and to more of a play action based passing offense to fit him in.

32. emocomputerjock

emocomputerjock Senior Member

Nov 23, 2007
    DC
    Only Belichick changes schemes to fit personnel. No one else is capable.

33. FinNasty

Dec 1, 2007
    But this is based on his belief that we would be trying to use Mike Wallace in a way that fits the article about how Green Bay's offense works. Great coaches mold the scheme to fit the players... not try to force scheme on players who dont fit it. So, I'm curious as to what changes would need to be made to accomidate his acquisition.

34. finsincebirth

finsincebirth Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2007
    Ryan did really well off play action last year, so why not make the switch?

35. KB21

Dec 6, 2007
    Name the outside vertical stretch receiver in Green Bay's offense?

The problem having a guy who is just an outside vertical stretch guy is that it makes you predictable by limiting the diversity of your route tree and interchangeability. There are going to have to be MASSIVE alterations to the offensive philosophy for him to fit.

36. FinNasty

Dec 1, 2007
    Well, I'm less concerned about "justifying a contract". Its more about maximizing our offense to be as successful as possible with the talent we have.

Can you not incorporate more play action into a timing based offense?

37. Rouk

Rouk Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2011
    Hollywood, Florida
    we were 27th in total offense i think our schemes could use a change tbh we had a worse offense last year than we did any year with mr fist pump himself

38. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    He does?? Isn't it the other way around.....

there is a system there that never changes, and players better adapt to his system....

39. Canad-phin

Canad-phin Active Member

Oct 17, 2012
    Again are you sure he can't play the other roles or run the other routes. He changed offenses this last year and seem to still do quite well. Does his speed not just enhance any of the routes we will be running? Just because he's fast doesn't mean we can't still have a timing offense. I would love to watch Wallace in the slot and run a fly route. Jesus he'd draw 4 people to him. I think your assumption that he can't run other routes hasn't been proven as of yet.

40. DePhinistr8

DePhinistr8 Season Ticket Holder

Mar 24, 2008
    What about the cumulative benefit of a speedster like Wallace. Opening up holes in the defense, even if the ball isn't coming his way. Taking a safety out of the box, allowing the running game to breathe a little more. Allowing for the #1 & #2 WR's from last year to slide down to the #2 & #3 spots going against lesser CB's. Allowing the TE to release on more patterns if a defense is less willing to blitz you out of fear of being burned, therefore he doesn't have to stay in and help as much.