1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PFT - Vikings Prepared to give Wallace 13 Million per year

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Bumrush, Mar 12, 2013.

1. KB21

KB21 Almost Never Wrong Club Member

Dec 6, 2007
    To the point that they may just put signing the big name receiver over the wishes of the coach.

2. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Thee...Ohio State University
    Ridiculous theory.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

3. FinNasty

FinNasty Alabama don’t want this... Staff Member Club Member

Dec 1, 2007
    Bump for KB...

4. Lee2000

Lee2000 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 23, 2008
    Pearl, Mississippi
    The idea of Wallace may be deeper than what he actually brings to the field, like the 4 catches for 58 yards. Most "experts" are saying what Wallace brings is the ability to run an offense with the defense respecting the deep threat. It is said to open the seams for tight ends, allow a guy like Bess or Hartline to nickel and dime you to death, etc. I dont' know that I expect Wallace to increase his numbers to 8 and 109 a game. That would be great, but I think he is more of a strategic piece in running the kind of offense Philbin wants to run. Now he needs to go get his zone blocking linemen and his seam busting tight end.

Canad-phin, djphinfan and inFINSible like this.
  5. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Spring, TX
    No, they spent the whole combine sharing a room just so that Ireland and him could talk about their offseason plans, and then Ireland could turn around and disregard everything Philbin said. :rolleyes:

6. KB21

Dec 6, 2007
    So you pay $13 million a season for a guy who is just a strategic piece? Can you actually quantify the effect of a defense respecting a deep threat? If there is a true effect, then you should be able to quantify it in a statistic. I kept hearing how having Brandon Marshall would do the same, but having him actually hurt those around him.

7. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    They could sign GJ instead and there'd be precious little backlash.

I believe Wallace would make us better, simply because we needed a 3rd competent WR last year. In that regard, we'll be better, even if he just runs fly routes and Hartline & Bess do what they did last year. We won't be great, but better.

We can be better than that though with Jennings. Plus, we'll have the ability to get more out of this draft which gives us the chance to be great.

8. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    I don't believe this. Even though I do agree with you with the bad route running of Wallace, I have zero doubt that if Miami does sign Wallace, that is only because Philbin believes he can use him.

djphinfan and Fin D like this.
  9. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    If Philbin doesn't want Jennings, I'm 100% behind that. I never liked Flynn, and Philbin didn't either.

He's worked with Jennings how long and he's not beating a path down to his door.

Fin-Omenal likes this.
  10. dolfan22

dolfan22 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

IF Miami signs or even wants to sign Wallace they have a plan and feel he will be worth it and that they believe that. They also would be astute enough to know they would need to utilize him to their best advantage .... hisn beat yourn , yourn beat hisn .... imo they will be clear on his value and production and the difference he will make.

11. KB21

Dec 6, 2007
    As I have said, you use him as a vertical stretch guy.

12. dWreck

dWreck formerly dcaf

Oct 23, 2011
    Sebring, FL
    Take it with a grain of salt, but this is from some Steelers Fans adding their 2 cents on MW to MIA

KBs evil twin:

It was mostly indifference, most of the negatives that were said was He was not very dependable on 3rd down and some clutch situations....pressure issues...seemingly choked at times and dropped the ball quite frequently (it was mostly referring to last season). I don't really see the drops though, going by % but they just said he lead THEIR team in dropped passes fwiw.... he had a chip on his shoulder and wanted to get paid, the relationship went bad... wasnt 'giving it his all'

The one consensus was that if he got his stuff together he could really be desctructive & dominant, thats a big IF. Some did say they would miss the guy alot. In the end, the Steelers DID offer this guy 10 mill... thats a pretty big point that gets overlooked.

first&goal and inFINSible like this.
  13. KB21

Dec 6, 2007
    Joe Philbin is not making the decisions on personnel.

14. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Thee...Ohio State University
    And like I said before signing Jennings would have pleased most people also.

But they ALL perfer Wallace it appears.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

15. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    I don't believe Armando's opinions, but he does have high level sources in the organization itself. When he says that there's a disconnect between the two parts of the franchise, I believe it.

16. Lee2000

Mar 23, 2008
    Pearl, Mississippi
    While I may appear to be advocating for Wallace, I will say that I am among those who will not say the sky is falling if he doesn't sign. If they don't sign him, then I expect that money to go to the positions I talked about. I don't want Jennings. I am not sure I want any free agent wrs. Recent statistics showed that less than 30 percent of wrs that changed teams performed better and made pro bowls etc. It is a position that historically doesn't bode well in free agency. Lot of reasons I suppose for that. Timing, consistency, familiarity. So while I expect the Wallace thing to go down, I am not overwhelmed by the situation.

17. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    He is making the shopping list

dolfan22 likes this.
  18. Lee2000

Mar 23, 2008
    Pearl, Mississippi
    He is not, but Jeff Ireland better understand what Joe wants, or this will be another one of those years of disconnect.

19. Sumlit

Sumlit Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2012
    Miami
    So far you've said Philbin is not making personnel decisions, and further, he has zero input in them.

I'm sorry but that is asinine.

20. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    I'm not taking KBs perspective as a negative necessarily, he's a dude that does know the game, loves the team, that's concerned that the players skillset doesn't match up with what he's going to get paid..it's the completeness and balance argument against an element that is hard to quantify in terms of value to an offense (speed)..

Here's what I would like to think that could happen and why I will be excited, if there is true undeniable talent, which to me means the ability to move with fluidity and grace as it pertains to your positions respnsibilities, then running with some precision should be able to be taught to some extent to the talent, if we are as demanding on our receivers to run more precisely as it seems, then maybe you can get the great talent to up his game, thus making him that more dangerous in the long run..

Kind of like how I feel about Tyronne Mattheiu...you take the great talent that he was born with, and you demand technique, you might just get a special player..

If these players have the athleticism to do special things on a football field, they should be able to get their bodies in position to run precise routes...just like Kobie is one of the best perimeter defenders, Jordan was the best in his time, and Lebron and dwade can elevate their defense to the highest level any time they want...all incredibly talented athletes.

It take focus, discipline, and a certain type of strength training to become a better route runner..lets hope our staff is smart enough to demand it, and not let this athlete get away with freelancing during route..

21. FinNasty

FinNasty Alabama don’t want this... Staff Member Club Member

Dec 1, 2007
    I was hoping for a little more information, since you have a broader knowlege of the game than I do. How would that effect everyone else? I'm assuming (and I could be wrong?) that you cant just take our current timing offense, and subsitute one of the WRs for a guy who just runs vertical routes... so I assume other aspects would change as well. Would you mind going into a little more detail as to what type of offense you would design to maximize the players we have, including Wallace in this scenario? What types of routes would you comine with the vertical routes Wallace is running? I assume you'd have the QB taking longer drops to allow the vertical routes to develop for example?

22. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    Wallace can run more than just fly routes, come on. He isn't the best route runner in the game but he's much more than just the deep ball.

I watched him take a 5 yard slant and run around the entire Giants defense last season for a touchdown. We need that in the worst way. Not to mention the variety of screens and end-arounds we can do with him. He's going to leave single coverage for the other pass catching options.

I understand wanting a cheaper option, but Mike Wallace makes us a much better offense by just being there. Tannehill and Sherman are probably already drooling over the thought of having him.

first&goal likes this.
  23. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010

24. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    You're not really reading the scenario right.

25. ToddPhin

ToddPhin Premium Member Luxury Box Club Member

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    didn't realize Tannehill is that tall TBH.

Mainge, first&goal and Fin D like this.
  26. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    I think you need to reread what I wrote.

27. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    He HAS been targeted a bunch in individual games, which is the entire point. They leaned heavily on him in the Super Bowl, 16 attempts. It didn't work out too well.

28. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Concerning if you're looking at paying a man $13 million a year.

BUT touchdowns have to be considered in there.

29. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Has nothing to do with sports writers.

30. dWreck

dWreck formerly dcaf

Oct 23, 2011
    Sebring, FL
    It really took me a lot longer than it should have to realize he meant deep passes and not the snuts.

ToddPhin likes this.
  31. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    You can acquire that without paying $13 million a year for it.

Stringer Bell likes this.
  32. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Then from whom would the pressure be coming from?

33. Rocky Raccoon

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    I read what you said. You rather have Jennings because he's a cheaper option and you feel we will get better production. I disagree. My point is I'd rather have Wallace because he's more explosive and will be a much bigger pain in the *** for defenses to deal with.

34. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Um...you said
    I never said anything to the contrary.

35. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Everything I have seen from Joe Philbin especially on Hard Knocks indicates to me that he's a total "go with the flow" guy when it comes to personnel and Jeff Ireland's domain.

That doesn't mean that people who raise the possibility that a Mike Wallace signing would go against what Joe Philbin stands for don't have a point. He's spent YEARS talking about how he doesn't want a guy in his offense that he has to plan to throw the football a bunch of times, he wants everything to be distributed more organically, sometimes this guy and sometimes that guy, etc. If that's what you like, then having a guy on your WR depth chart accounting for 10% of your salary cap is not a good fit, even if he's too wimpy to stand up and say so.

Stringer Bell likes this.
  36. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    The cause for excitement imo Nasty and I know you know this, would be the impact of how an offense can benefit with a defense in today's game that has to defend every inch of the field relative to what they've been doing against us..the impact could be huge..Space is a hot commodity in today's NFL game, and speed and talent is how you accrue it.

Two Tacos likes this.
  37. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Everyone.

[video=youtube;74BzSTQCl_c]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74BzSTQCl_c[/video]

Fin D likes this.
  38. Rocky Raccoon

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    You said "even if he just runs fly routes" and I said he can and will do more than that. I wasn't implying that you said he couldn't, more just stating that he will. I probably should have worded it better.

39. Lee2000

Mar 23, 2008
    Pearl, Mississippi
    I think Solomon Wilcox's explanation about Wallace is excellent on NFL network. It will likely be a video available later today. I understand the 13 million dollar issue. That is why I will not be upset either way. Miami's offense was in a box last year with cbs waiting to jump routes. They will not want to do that with Wallace. And I am puzzled how you accomplish that other than through Wallace. There are no top busters that I am aware of in the remaining free agent list at wr. I am guessing you are referring to the draft, and that is an option. But an unproven one as of right now. I remember your discussion on the use of Gates and it would be no different here, but Wallace has the track record. I would like to think you could do that for under 13 million, but at this time and place?

40. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    I would think that the coach talks to the GM in terms of skillset, just something like, "these are the skillsets that will best maximize the offense and defenses scheme.".