1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PFT WTF Mock Draft

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by JMORGAN6977, Mar 28, 2011.

1. JMORGAN6977

JMORGAN6977 New Member

Jan 9, 2008
    PHX
    All I have to say is wow! Florio has outdone himself.

15. Dolphins: Christian Ponder, quarterback, Florida State.

The Fins seem to swing and miss on second-round quarterbacks every offseason, so it’s time to get serious. Ponder would be an upgrade over Chad Henne in terms of accuracy, smarts, athleticism, consistency, and touch. He’d take over as the starter at some point in year one.

If we do not trade down and get a 2nd round pick and have our choice of any of these first round cuts I would lose it!

Missed first-round cut: Nevada quarterback Colin Kaepernick, Arkansas quarterback Ryan Mallett, Iowa defensive end Adrian Clayborn, Alabama running back Mark Ingram, Ohio State defensive end Cameron Heyward, UCLA linebacker Akeem Ayers, Illinois running back Mikel Leshoure, Miami cornerback Brandon Harris, Notre Dame tight end Kyle Rudolph.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/03/28/2011-mock-draft-take-three/

MarinePhinFan likes this.
  2. godolphins

godolphins New Member

Apr 8, 2010
    :pity:

3. Conuficus

Conuficus Premium Member Luxury Box

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here
    That's more realistic than you'd like to imagine.

RevRick, SICK, The Rev and 3 others like this.
  4. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    This.

5. Hurricane

Hurricane Guest

I agree.

It's not the best option, but then again, we don't have the first overall pick.

If we could get Ingram and Kaepernick/Ponder, I'll be fine.

6. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Beats drafting Kapernick, Dalton or another DE.

RoninFin4 and CaribPhin like this.
  7. Conuficus

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here
    Ponder and Daniel Thomas in the third and I'll be fine.

8. JMORGAN6977

JMORGAN6977 New Member

Jan 9, 2008
    PHX
    If ponder is the call, can we get him late? can we still trade down. I just dont see picking him so high.

9. Conuficus

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here
    For what its worth, the Jags have been linked to him quite a bit, but it is that time of year.

10. finsbuck719

finsbuck719 New Member

Jan 25, 2009
    And welcome to the most boring offense in the NFL for the 5th straight season.

11. JMORGAN6977

JMORGAN6977 New Member

Jan 9, 2008
    PHX
    You think Denver would like to trade #4 and #14 in the second round to move up to #15 overall? Would you do this deal? Could get more value with those 2 picks than we can at 15 IMO.

12. Vendigo

Vendigo German Gigolo Club Member

Nov 30, 2007
    No.

Yes.

CaribPhin likes this.
  13. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    I'm not surprised Evan Silva went ahead and moved Ponder up to #15 for Miami. We've been talking back and forth about it a few weeks.

14. Conuficus

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here
    Or one of the more erroneous statements this offseason.

Stringer Bell and Hurricane like this.
  15. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    It all depends. I agree we shouldn't take him that high if we can trade down and recoup a 2nd. But if we can't and our FO believes he has what it takes to be the guy, then when you're talking about the most important position on the field, it really wouldn't be that much of a reach, IMO. No way he makes it to the 3rd so you can't blame them for pulling the trigger if he's their guy. Who knows if he is or not.

16. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    I've said all along although being a little far fetched but not impossible. Broncos throw Orton in with the #36 and #46 and the #15 is theirs. Done deal!

17. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    That'd be the start of a pretty good draft IMO.

18. Vendigo

Vendigo German Gigolo Club Member

Nov 30, 2007
    You don't really want that. You'd hate my sky is falling mails :lol:

alen1 likes this.
  19. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

There's a few things wrong IMO.

I don't think The Vikes are going to let Ray Edwards walk. I don't think they'll go DE with that pick considering they aren't confident with what they have at QB. I could have seen them going WR there if the Draft was after FA but I would think they'd go Ponder if Mallet isn't a first rounder and Ponder is.

I know Amukumura is a good pick, but the Lions invested huge money into Matt Stafford. I see them protecting that investment literally.

NO WAY is Jake Locker getting drafted ahead of Mallet and to the Redskins IMO. That makes no sense. I see the point he's going to make, but I don't think there's that much confidence in Locker's ability to take him 10th.

But either way, Evan Silva gets payed to do that.

20. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    3-4 years from now, Ponder might be the next Aaron Rodgers. He has the athleticism, the moxie, the arm strength isn't all there, but its plenty good enough. And if we had a Favre for him to sit and learn behind for 3-4 years, I'd think it was a good idea. But we don't. If Ponder comes here, Henne is gone after this season, Ponder will be the starter in 2012, well before he's ready, and it'll be dejavu all over again. I'm on board with drafting a QB for the future, I'm just not sure the 1st round is the time to do it.

Trowa and DolfanJake like this.
  21. Muck

Muck Throwback Uniform Crusader Retired Administrator

Nov 25, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    I'd be all good with Ponder at 15. And it's probably not crazy since most teams seem to really like him.

This team has seen first hand how Chad Pennington elevated a team. This is a similar prospect.

Unfortunately the lack of a CBA will make players off limits in any deals.

Stringer Bell likes this.
  22. Ozzy

Ozzy Premium Member Luxury Box

Thomas is actually one of the exciting Rb's in this draft imo. He's inside the tackles, runs outside, runs the wildcat, and he's one shifty runner in the open field. He also catches the ball pretty darn good. Far from boring...

I would not be one bit surprised if he ends up in NE..

23. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    I know all of that but I think that scenario would serve the Dolphins well.
    Wish list :wink2:

24. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Fixed. :up: It’s not necessarily that Chad Pennington himself elevated the team, it’s that the Dolphins, for once, had capable play from the position. It’s been so long that we’ve forgotten what it looks like.

25. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    I gotta disagree with all that.

Thomas' game is just average to me. Yea, he's got some variety in his skills, but he doesn't do anything exceptional, imo. We really need to do better.

And I def can't see NE taking Thomas when they have a better version of his game in Woodhead.

texanphinatic likes this.
  26. PhinsRDbest

PhinsRDbest Transform and Transcend

Jan 5, 2010
    the next dimension
    I'll see your Ponder/Daniel Thomas, and raise you a Mallett/DJ Williams.

27. Ozzy

Let me rephrase a little bit. He is one of the most exciting, big, every down backs in the draft. To me he is far from average. He reminds me of Eric Dickerson and Con made a more recent and probably more realistic evaluation in comparing him to Eddie George. Yeah, he is not one to bust 80 yard runs but there is no denying he knows how to find the end zone. Two years in a row he goes well into 1000 yards, and followed 11 Td's with 19!! Far from average imo.

28. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    Trust me, I'm not one to overrate that extra gear bull****.

That being said, Thomas looks slow to me. He's got some moves, but I wouldn't say he's quick.

His vision is good but he doesn't really run with much authority either.

29. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    lol. you must be all in on a bluff. :shifty:

GMJohnson likes this.
  30. vt_dolfan

vt_dolfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Id be very happy if we drafted Ponder at 15.....and Im a big believer in Henne. But what Ponder brings to the position....Henne will never have in his game.

31. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    The Jags certainly aren't afraid of "reaching."

32. The G Man

The G Man Git 'r doooonnne!!!

Mar 18, 2009
    Starting to think there's some merit to Ponder coming off the board somewhere in the mid to late first round. Some have him ranked higher than Mallet, Locker, Kaepernick and Dalton. Also, I was watching some show on NFLN last night ("Game Changers" ?), and it was about Mooch working with both Gabbert and Ponder on their mechanics and so forth (3, 5 and 7 step drops, etc.). Very interesting insight by Mooch, as he was coaching these guys. He seemed to really like Ponder's mechanics. And, while Gabbert apparently played almost exclusively out of the spread, he also commented on how good Gabbert's mechanics were given the fact that he didn't take many snaps from under center at Missouri. Mooch said he (Gabbert) has done a great deal of practicing in order to prepare for the transition to the NFL.

On a side note, our very own Rotten Richie Incognito was the center working in the drills with both young QB's. Wonder is he was able to gather any intel the FO might be interested in. :shifty:

MarinePhinFan likes this.
  33. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    Definitely. I recall him saying that Ponder needed his nails cut and Gabbert was a little too "touchy feely".

34. The G Man

The G Man Git 'r doooonnne!!!

Mar 18, 2009
    :lol:

ToddsPhins likes this.
  35. Ozzy

He is an every down back and that's what Miami needs imo. They need both a pounder and a change of pace speedy Rb....

36. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    Doesn't he put the ball on the ground quite a bit?

Saw him a few games, and while I am no guru poring over his game film, he just didn't seem very impressive.

37. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    Then they need to draft Mark Ingram. The gap between Ingram and Thomas is huge, imo.

38. Ozzy

There are 4-5 Rb's I'd be happy with in this draft. Ingram is absolutely one of them and who I'd love over them all but remember that Ireland stated he wanted to get the 2nd rounder back so it may not happen.

Ingram
    LeShoure
    Williams
    Thomas are all candidates if they trade back

39. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    I was not impressed at all by his 11 fumbles.

40. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    I'm def on board w/ that. A feature back early, a scat back late, a speed WR and TE somewhere in between. That's ideal IMO. Question is, if a better player(s) is available at another position, what to do then?

Ozzy likes this.