1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PFW Draft Preview CB rankings

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by MrClean, Apr 7, 2009.

1. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

I've been buying their Readers Digest sized book since the 80s and always enjoy it. IMO it was easily the best when Joel was alive, but even now I still find it a good read. One reason is ever since the Joel's heyday they have had access to BLESTO's scouting reports and use info from them to help with their profiles. Since CB is a key position for us in this draft and we should be drafting at least 2 who can play out on the corner, I thought some of you may find their rankings interesting. Physicality, size, and ability & willingness to support the run are all things that Parcells considers necessary in a corner. I highlighted the corners whom in MY opinion most possess all those characteristics.

1. Malcolm Jenkins Ohio St
    2. Vontae Davis Illinois
    3. Darius Butler UConn
    4. Alphonso Smith Wake Forest
    5. Jairus Byrd Oregon
    6. Donald Washington Ohio St
    7. Sean Smith Utah
    8. Coye Francies San Jose St
    9. Sherrod Martin Troy
    10. Asher Allen Georgia
    11. Victor "Macho" Harris Va Tech
    12. D.J. Moore Vanderbilt
    13. DeAngelo Smith Cincinnati
    14. Ryan Mouton Hawaii
    15. Jerraud Powers Auburn
    16. Mike Mickens Cincinnati
    17. Bradley Fletcher Iowa
    18. Cary Harris Southern Cal
    19. Keenan Lewis Oregon St
    20. Chris Owens San Jose St
    21. Brandon Hughes Oregon St
    22. Gregory Tolar St Pauls (Va.)
    23. Don Carey Norfolk St
    24. Kevin Barnes Maryland
    25. Brandon Underwood Cincinnati
    26. Morgan Trent Michigan
    27. Domonique Johnson Jackson St
    28. Lardarius Webb Nichols St (La.)
    29. Lydell Sargeant Penn St
    30. Captain Munnerlyn South Carolina
    31. Ellis Lankster West Va
    32. DeAndre Wright New Mexico
    33. Joe Burnett Central Fla.
    34. Trevor Ford Troy
    35. Bruce Johnson Miami (Fla.)
    36. Jason McCourty Rutgers
    37. Derek Pegues Miss St
    38. Wopamo Osaisai Stanford
    39. Londen Fryar Western Michigan
    40. Tony Carter Florida St
    41. Ryan Palmer Texas
    42. Jahi Word-Daniels Georgia Tech
    43. Mark Parson Ohio U.

2. Frayser

Frayser Barstool Philosopher

Dec 4, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    Kinda shocked at how low both Sean Smith and Kevin Barnes are.

CrunchTime likes this.
  3. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Donald Washington over many of those, including Sean Smith, is head-scratcher.

Fin-Omenal likes this.
  4. Vendigo

Vendigo German Gigolo Club Member

Nov 30, 2007

I've stopped scratching my head over those guides long ago.

5. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Lol. Donald Washington is a great athlete, that 45" vertical that he posted is ridiculous, however when watching him on the field, he's not very good. He changes directions well but he doesn't make many plays and I've seen him get burnt a few times. In run support, he does a lot of circling and watching. I think he's put up this high because of his numbers, not because of what he does on the football field.

Fin-Omenal likes this.
  6. Vendigo

Vendigo German Gigolo Club Member

Nov 30, 2007
    I'm kinda disappointed that I forgot to order a copy of the Sporting News Draft Guide this year. That one has always been a riot. Last year, I laughed so hard I literally broke out in tears.

7. dwhorton

dwhorton New Member

Mar 6, 2009
    i was watching donald washington at the combine and deion sanders was on the show that night at the combine. as washington prepared to run the 40 they were talking {eisen] about donald's vertical and broad jump don't remember the exact measurements they were staggering though. deion says well i can't to see what this guy runs well donald ran a 4.5 something and deion says no way there is something wrong this guy should have ran in the 4.3s with the jump measurables he had. anyhow those measurables didn't translate to the field.

8. dwhorton

dwhorton New Member

Mar 6, 2009
    you may laugh even harder this year then , its bad.

9. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    I hate when players like this get drafted higher so that coaches etc with a God complex can feel like they're the ones responsible for/if turning the kids career around at the next level.

10. MrClean

I'll tell you one thing, right or wrong, you can darned sure bet if PFW rates Washington that high, then BLESTO does too. For both he and S.Smith they say 2nd to 3rd round.
    BLESTO isn't infallible, but their scouts are all employed be various NFL teams. Miami's Anthony Hunt is also a BLESTO scout for example. Still, if any of us amateurs find ourselves strongly on a different page on a given player, then IMO we should rethink it. If after that one still feels the same way, then so be it.

11. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    I respect their rankings and I absolutely respect what BLESTO does but I just watched Donald Washington again last night and I continue to be unimpressed by him. I honestly don't see him as anything more than a raw cornerback who has to develop his game quite a bit. He's not much of a player in run support nor is he that good of a corner from what I've seen. He gets burnt quite a bit and even lost his starting job this past season. Like I said MrClean, I absolutely respect what everyone does because it takes a lot of time and effort to do this but I don't necessarily agree with their assessment.

12. MrClean

Me neither. Just thinking maybe it is worth rethinking the guy and try to see what they must see. It seems a mystery to me, if it is based much on anything he ever showed on the field.

Wish GRT8 was still around. This is one mystery I'd enjoy hearing his input on.

alen1 likes this.
  13. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Maybe I'll go through the tape again before the draft but every time I watch him, I come away unimpressed.

Agreed on GRT8. His input his always great. Same goes for Francois, who I miss a lot.