1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PFW Whispers

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Fin Fan In Cali, May 10, 2008.

Tags:
  1. Fin Fan In Cali

Fin Fan In Cali Dolphin fan since 1970 Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    So. Cal
    http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/The+Way+We+Hear+It/Whispers/2008/whispers051008.htm

[​IMG]
    Dolphins DE Vonnie Holliday​
    [​IMG] We’re hearing that the Dolphins’ new regime sent a clear message to DE Vonnie Holliday when they drafted DEs Phillip Merling and Kendall Langford in the second and third rounds, respectively. Namely, “You better start performing a heck of a lot better.” Holliday is the most talented defensive lineman on the team (operating under the assumption Jason Taylor is playing outside linebacker), but he has been an underachiever and is injury-prone.
    [​IMG] It’s becoming clear that the Dolphins’ Week One starter will either be Josh McCown or John Beck, not second-round draft pick Chad Henne. Henne had a miserable conclusion to minicamp, showing lapses in judgment and throwing errant passes.

PhinsRock, Hellweed, alen1 and 10 others like this.
  2. Fin Fan In Cali

Fin Fan In Cali Dolphin fan since 1970 Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    So. Cal
    In a recent Q&A with the South Florida Sun Sentinel, Dolphins second-round rookie QB Chad Henne revealed that the Rams called him right before the 29th overall pick to say they were going to try to trade up so they could select him, but that never ended up happening. In fact, with their regular second-round pick, 33rd overall, the Rams chose WR Donnie Avery instead, and the Dolphins picked Henne later in the round, at No. 57

alen1, Larryfinfan and Fin-Omenal like this.
  3. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Thee...Ohio State University
    Nice reads....Holliday is on the downside of his career anyhow so heres to hoping those guys can step right in and perform.

As far as Henne goes obviously he shouldnt be the opening day starter but I think he may develop very very well with a year or two holding a clipboard.

4. Sethdaddy8

Sethdaddy8 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    I love articles like these. Vonnie "better shape up". the guy is going into is 46th season, jeez.

and im glad that its becoming clear to the geniuses at PFW that 2 out of our 3 qbs are likely to start. A. its ideal to not have to start a rookie QB, and B. Henne's "miserable" rookie mini camp really doesnt mean much in regards to our starting QB come Sept.

and back to Vonnie, what do you mean "we hear" the Dolphins selecting merling and langford sends a message? you need to "hear that" from someone to jump to a conclusion on that matter? you can't do that intricate math on your own? not that these players are clones of eachother by any means..

Last edited: May 10, 2008
    Fin-Omenal likes this.
  5. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Thee...Ohio State University
    Smoke blowers.............

6. CrunchTime

CrunchTime Administrator Retired Administrator

Nov 23, 2007
    Henne will be our opening...........QB clipboard holder.

Mc Gown and Beck will be fighting for the season opener starter position IMO.
    If Beck doesnt start the season I think he will be finishing the season as our starter

7. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Saying Henne won't start is like saying the sky is blue. Very rarely do rookie QBs start day one, and rarer still do they succeed. Even Dan Marino needed an accelerated training camp and half a season before he came in.

8. late again

late again Senior Member

Nov 24, 2007
    As well as an ineffective David Woodley.

9. Kanye West

Kanye West 'Parcells' Guy

Mar 23, 2008
    Come on Vhad Henne get it together now time to start playing

10. Georgia Fin

Georgia Fin Fin For Life

Nov 25, 2007
    West Georgia
    As an aging vet, Vonnie's already known what time it was and those two picks are here to learn from him on his swan song.

11. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    I like that sort of story, to me it shows that the new Coaches are not just going to jettison every holdover, but they aren't going to accept excuses either, Tuna did the same thing to Marcellus Wiley coming off his best season in Dallas.

Henne will hold the clip board until someone is inured.

12. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    i got killed on this before but i will reiterate...Chad henne had no reasons to have a bad rookie camp, even if it was the last day, he was in shorts going 7 on 7. All he had to do was keep his focus and be a machine out there, all he was doing was throwing the football in shorts. with no competition either.

I personally think his ego took a hit on draft day and it was lingering in his mind. Just my opinion.

13. Silverphin

Silverphin Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Langford poses more of a threat to Vonnie Holliday than Merling, just by the mere fact that Merling will probably end up as an OLB.

14. bran

bran Senior Member

Dec 20, 2007
    New Hampshire
    merling will definitely be standing up langford will take vonnie's spot

as for henne he needs to watch and learn for a year or 2 i think mccown may start and beck may finish or vice versa the dolphins cannot rush henne out there before he is ready

15. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

Hello Capt. Obvious... Yes, beyond the shadow of a doubt, Merling and Langford were brought in to compete...and they have about a 85% chance to be right on the Henne 'prediction' as well. My guess is that these "whispers" are coming from boards like these...not from any insider... This is what many have been saying since draft day...

At any rate, Tunaland doesn't like to start rookie QBs...they just don't look at their history...even guys like Simms took a year as a clipboard holder extraordinaire before they started... Henne most likely isn't any different... Besides, the indications are that Beck will be given the opportunity to fail first...and I don't really know how this determination can be made in a rookie minicamp ??

Like most have said, Langford is the more likely competition for Holliday. And they certainly didn't draft him or Merling to be backups, so pushing Holliday is the most obvious reason for drafting them, now isn't it ?? I think with his price tag and ability to help a team out along the DL (since he can play in any style of DL there is), he'd be trade bait if either of the rookies shows some stuff between now and TC...

PhinsRock likes this.
  16. Straz

Straz Me and my girl :)

Mar 23, 2008
    I would really like to see Beck start this year.

17. Straz

Straz Me and my girl :)

Mar 23, 2008
    I am really excited to see Merling play, but I'm more excited to see Joey Porter and Jason Taylor have huge years blitzing off the edges.

18. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    *praying John Beck gets his chance*

19. hugoguzman

hugoguzman New Member

Apr 14, 2008
    So let's see PFT says that those draft selections are a message to Holliday to shape up, but our coaching staff says that they plan on having Jake Long learn a lot from Holliday.

hmmm...who am I going to believe? I think I'll go with coaches over a publication known for throwing stuff against the wall to see if it sticks.

20. PhinsRock

PhinsRock Premium Member Luxury Box

Good read, thanks for the link FFIC. Henne riding the bench for a year is expected with Parcells' penchant for sticking with vets, and a good thing IMO. Hopefully Beck and McCown BOTH play lights out, then we end up with 1 or 2 guys who could fetch us a solid DP or two down the road if/when Henne does get his chance and plays well.