1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philbin accepts responsibility for causing distraction

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by CaribPhin, Sep 25, 2014.

1. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    Who said it was the first time? I'm not sure why this is so controversial. Philbin made a statement, the press turned that statement into controversy, this distracted the players, it forced Philbin to have a private meeting with Tannehill. Just accept it and say it was a unnecessary distraction whose effect is debatable. But suggesting that there is no effect at all flies in the face of reality.

Because both Philbin and Tannehill admitted as much. Had they come out and said "not a distraction. This is just a fabricated media controversy" then you would have a valid point. But they have admitted it was a distraction.

ToddPhin likes this.
  2. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    One more thing, you were VERY vocal about how much of a mistake it was that we didn't snatch a Pats player before the game and how much of a genius move it was for Belichick to do it.

Do you SYH at me questioning the severity of that "mistake" too?

3. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Ok, got it. I intend to hold you to taking everything said to the media as gospel from here on out.

4. Stringer Bell

Mar 22, 2008
    Time is a limited resource. They had to use time this week discussing what he said. That means they had less time to do more productive and value-adding things.

5. vt_dolfan

vt_dolfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Fin...come on bro. Really? Its not like its just Phin fans that are going....Philbin botched this. Its NOT that he was non committal. You have to recognize there are times you can be ...and times..you cant afford to be. KNOWING those times, is what makes a good leader or a good coach.

Nobody likes to have to answer questions regarding their position on a team. When the team had just lost to KC...and there are murmurings of "start Matt Moore"....Im sure Ryan Tannehill didnt want to get a bunch of texts from everyone saying.."Philbin isnt commiting to you as the starter". Thats how Ryan found out there was even anything going on. It wasnt like Philbin talked to him before..or even right after.

Geno Smith had a bad game last week. Their were murmurings of starting Michael Vick. MIKE VICK. But when asked about it....Rex Ryan was CLEAR...I BELIEVE IN GENO SMITH. I BELIEVE HE WILL GET IT FIXED. HE IS MY STARTING QB.

It wasnt like Ryan Tannehill needed motivating. If he wasnt already workin his *** off...or was being lackadaisical...Id be the first one to say..yes absolutely he needs a fire under his ***.

This was Philbin's chance to have a players back, and he didnt.

6. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    He could meet with Tannehill every day for all you know.

7. Stringer Bell

Mar 22, 2008
    Again, if you want to claim that these guys are lying, you're free to that opinion. I don't take everything said to the media as gospel, but I do believe Ryan Tannehill and Joe Philbin in this particular case. I'm not sure what Tannehill's motivation in lying would be.

8. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    No.

Can we agree that being non committal to the press and non committal to the team are two different things?

9. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Who said he lied?

10. ExplosionsInDaSky

ExplosionsInDaSky Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2011
    I still think we need to part ways with Philbin. The guy may be good at something else in the league, but not coaching. To think that some of you compared him to Don Shula when we first hired him, is laughable at this point. He might be Don Shula's nephew by marriage or something but he's certainly not the second coming of Don Shula himself.
    Without going on a Philbin rant, I just want to say that I simply do not like the way he has handled ANYTHING up to this point. From Brandon Marshall to the Bully crap and now with Tannehill. Philbin hasn't been able to handle any of the controversy that has been thrown his direction since he's been hired. I really don't think the white collar, button down approach has worked with this particular group of players. We need a leader, and someone that has no problem being assertive in doing so. Philbin isn't that guy. I haven't liked him since he's been here, but i've backed him based on the fact that I want the team to do good. This season is shaping up to be yet another emotional rollercoaster ride, and last year really tooks its toll on me as a follower of this team. I think we have a very tough game ahead of us against Oakland.

11. vt_dolfan

Sure...if Joe Philbin had come to Tannehill before that press conference, and said...Im sure there will be questions about us making a change, and while Im going to say..I play my best team.....your starting, so dont read anything into that.

Then...I can agree with you.

Obviously, judging by Ryans reaction, it was a distraction.

12. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    And yet no one on the team, including the OC had any other indication that Ryan was starting.

Also distractions come in all sizes and severities. If someone can't quantify the severity of this distraction then again, it could be no worse than a mosquito, but its being made out to be the biggest issue ever.

here's the worst part for everyone touting this as a HUGE mistake, if we win then its clear it wasn't. If we lose? Well we were already on a 2 game skid.

13. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    I don't think what Philbin did is a football sin. My main issue is the lack of awareness that it could create an issue.

IMO Even if he wasn't wrong, he could have anticipated the issue and done things different.

14. vt_dolfan

But thats the part about distractions correct? Should it have been made into such a big issue...NO. OF COURSE NOT. Did the Media turn it into something...YES..OF COURSE THEY DID. But thats part of your job as Head Coach. Its not like Joe Philbin hasnt done the media circus thing before....of course he knows every word he says is parsed into a thousand different meanings. It still doesnt change the fact, that a distraction was caused by Joe Philbin..WARRANTED OR NOT...when there was no need what do ever to do so.

And wait....look at the RUN ON THE PRESS..that happened the first time he was noncommittal about Tannehill. He saw the firestorm headed his way...and when asked again the very next day...what does he do. SAME DAMN THING.

You wanna be non commital do it during training camp...dont do it when your leaving for London in two days to play a game that in a likelihood your career hangs in the balance of. To put it another way...

"Mr. Ross.....your team has lost 3 in a row...2 in a row to winless teams, are you thinking of making a change at the Head Coach position?"

"Im going to take a look at things with my team, and together we are going to put the best coaching staff on the field next Sunday."

"Mr Ross, does that mean Joe Philbin may not be your coach next Sunday?"

"Im going to take a look at things with my team, and together we are going to put the best coaching staff on the field next Sunday."

Wonder what Joe thinks about Non Committal then.

15. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    As I argued earlier (maybe in another thread though) there was no answer he could give that wouldn't cause a **** storm.

- If he said Tanny was starting he would have been called into question. That's why the question was asked in the first place because the media was already thinking Tanny could or should be benched.

- If he said we wasn't starting he would have been blasted for that too.

He had no way out of this clean. So, he did what he always does (and what many coaches do and have done) is give no real info.

16. vt_dolfan

"Mr. Ross.....your team has lost 3 in a row...2 in a row to winless teams, are you thinking of making a change at the Head Coach position?"

"Mr Ross, does that mean Joe Philbin may not be your coach next Sunday?"

17. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Also, lets not pretend that press conferences aren't a distraction as a whole either. That's time spent that could be spent on numerous other things helping the team win.

18. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    Don't agree with that at all.

19. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    No one would complain about that. In fact most here would be jumping for joy.

20. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Then you're not basing your opinion on anything that has ever happened here with our media.

21. vt_dolfan

I guess...

thats not how Shula handled it when that same question was asked of Bob Griese.

22. vt_dolfan

And...how you do you think Joe Philbin would perceive that? As a distraction?

23. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    The press of then and the press of now are two entirely different animals. There is no comparison.

24. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    I don't think any NFL coach or player doesn't already know they could lose their job at any moment.

25. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    Yes I am.

26. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    No you're not.

27. vt_dolfan

Exactly my point. Shula did it then so it didnt create a distraction when the press was a tenth of an issue that it is now....

28. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Uh? Shula didn't have to be non committal because the press was a 1/10 of what it is.

29. vt_dolfan

So Philbin had to be non commital because the press is a beast now is your argument? Really?

30. Stringer Bell

Mar 22, 2008
    Absolutely, but they aren't optional and apply to every team equally.

31. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    That's been my entire argument since Post1.

I've already explained more than once that there's no answer to that question that doesn't start a distraction which is why its ALWAYS been his policy and policy of other coaches to be non committal. Its why the NFL itself teaches rookies to say nothing of importance when talking to the media.

32. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    When and where a player is made available to the media is optional.

33. vt_dolfan

Funny..cuz when asked that same question just this week in regards to Geno Smith..by the NY media..he was very commital..and..that was it..no distraction. Never made the front page of ESPN...

LI phinfan and DPlus47 like this.
  34. vt_dolfan

Joe..Is Ryan Tannehill starting this week..

Ryan Tannehill is my starting QB till hes not. Next question

LI phinfan and DPlus47 like this.
  35. Stringer Bell

Mar 22, 2008
    Teams are required to make players available for 45 minutes in the locker room every day that they practice.

36. bigbry

bigbry Huge Member

Dec 18, 2008
    Colorado
    See right there it proves FinD knows nothing...NOTHING!

cuchulainn likes this.
  37. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Press conferences?

38. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Its not the same situation.

39. vt_dolfan

How in the world is it not the same situation?

Both QBs had bad games....both had groups of people asking about a QB change.....

Both were asked the same question the day after the game.....

How is this not ...the same?

40. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Ryan has had 4 bad games in the last 5. He's also a 3rd year starter.