1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philbin accepts responsibility for causing distraction

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by CaribPhin, Sep 25, 2014.

1. vt_dolfan

vt_dolfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Ok...Im just....ok

You win bro...lol

2. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Whatever.

3. LBsFinest

LBsFinest Banned

Jul 24, 2012
    it's great to have Fin D back, cape on,protecting Philbin when no one else will....just inspiring work.

4. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    You are just making things up.

This even made it to a national level.

5. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    Entire team has had 4 bad games in the last 5.

6. Pandarilla

Pandarilla Purist Emeritus

Sep 10, 2009
    Boone, NC
    Damn, Philbin sucks...

7. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Not sure how you think that doesn't prove my point.

And?

8. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Actually, I've said repeatedly that there's plenty to blast him over but this one thing isn't it. In fact, I said by focusing on this non issue it detracts from the real issues we can have with him. But don't let facts stop you.

9. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    Not sure how you think it doesn't.

10. FinSane

FinSane Cynical Dolphins Fan

Dec 1, 2007
    Melbourne, Fl
    Can't we add it onto the growing list if issues with Philbin? The qb controversy only metastasized our problems.

11. 54Fins

54Fins "In Gase we trust"

Nov 29, 2007
    over there
    Yep, he should!
    On to the next team threatening question.

12. Sceeto

Sceeto Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2008
    New York
    On a side note: Isn't this game nationally televised? It's not listed in the guide for NY. Anyone have any info? Thanks.

13. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    how does it not?

14. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Add anything you want as long as its legit. This isn't.

15. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    Because it isn't local

16. emocomputerjock

emocomputerjock Senior Member

Nov 23, 2007
    DC
    I wonder if this will go on as long as the survivor thread.

MikeHoncho likes this.
  17. vt_dolfan

Its not national..the Ravens game is..I think NY gets the Buffalo game

18. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Who asked the question and where did national pick the story up from?

19. Dolphans Unite!

Dolphans Unite! Banned

Aug 17, 2014
    Here's a question:

What do folks think is more distracting to the players?

1) The issue created by Joe Philbin's statement to the media.

2) The fact that the team has a quarterback who is currently playing like Ryan Tannehill.

And you can include Ryan Tannehill in that question. Of course he's aware of how he's playing, and it's entirely possible that that's distracting to him.

20. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    I'll be honest, Philbin didn't handle this good, but the fact benching Tannehill is even an option is the REAL issue here.

That said, I'm glad they got it cleared up and I'm hoping Tannehill can turn it around.

21. Dolphans Unite!

Dolphans Unite! Banned

Aug 17, 2014
    But rather than talk about that, which can be discussed via measurables and predictive statistics, we'd rather talk about "a distraction" that has no known quantity and no known effect on the team, and at the same time act like we know its quantity and its effect on the team!

And ironically enough, the Tannehill issue can itself be characterized as "a distraction." I mean hell, if you want to talk about "distractions," you got one right there! When your quarterback is playing like Tannehill, it can hardly make the players and coaches feel like they have a team that can win, and what kind of "distraction" is that? It has to be a hell of a lot worse than the one Philbin created! :)

22. cuchulainn

cuchulainn Táin Bó Cúailnge Club Member

Sep 7, 2012
    Hattiesburg, MS
    Inside joke. Thanks for playing though.

23. Boik14

Boik14 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    Understood but its not polite to the rest of the forum to have inside jokes when the rest of the forum is replying based on what they see in front of them, not what you and the other party/parties have joked about.

24. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

HA! Hahahaha. Harbaugh or Malzahn are never going to be the Dolphins HC. It's a pipe dream...a fantasy.

25. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

The Dolphins fan base will not be denied of any opportunity to heap additional criticism on Coach Joe's lanky shoulders.

Fin D likes this.
  26. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    I guess I'm the only guy who approves of the distraction, we needed a distraction from the media distraction of us being one and four in our last five, besides Tannehill needed a kick in the *** to see if we can get him to play with all his weapons, and to see if he can play with some emotion.

MrClean and Dolphans Unite! like this.
  27. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    He is the head coach

28. ToddPhin

ToddPhin Premium Member Luxury Box Club Member

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    Firstly, I'd say Kevin Coyle is significantly more distracting to the players at the moment. If your cross hairs were capable of escaping Tannehill's forehead long enough, you would've included ALL the potential distractions rather than trying your hardest to steer people into sharing your contempt of Tannehill by manipulating answers to questions.

Secondly, How about the receivers, tight ends, and backs being distracted by the fact they lead the NFL in dropped balls [12] and drop rate [9.7%] by a wide margin? That hideous stat is more egregious than anything Tannehill has done or hasn't done this year, but of course you conveniently ignore its potential too as a distraction b/c it doesn't fit your agenda of scapegoating Tannehill with every means possible. Everyone knows he hasn't had the greatest start to the season, but there's nothing about it or him as a person that inherently makes him some sort of detrimental distraction. If you wanna paint Tannehill as a distraction, then show us hard proof of any resulting dissension. With how the media loves to blow things up as you and a few others have alluded, then surely you can find at least one instance of a half truth or a statement from a player taken out of context that suggests Tannehill's teammates are being distracted by their starting QB to such a level it's now psychologically influencing their professional ability to perform a job they're paid millions for.

The players don't PLAY for Tannehill. Ryan doesn't determine if they'll start, how much playing time they'll receive, or any other stuff related to their financial well-being. Joe Philbust does however. This recent Philbin blunder, even though it's directed at Tannehill, can easily leave players feeling like he doesn't have their backs, and if any do feel this is the case, then it can quickly lead to both a crack in trust and the questioning of his future decision-making. He already comes across as the opposite of a player's coach, and I believe that's been expressed before by players or ex players if I'm not mistaken. Our guys won't run through a wall for him as other coaches passionately incite their players to do, so if they see him publicly not supporting their quarterback, it could easily create a team-wide distraction among players when they already don't have a ton of faith in Joe.

Your flaw is assuming the players are looking for every excuse possible to love Joe and continue loving him. He's not Rex Ryan. Joe doesn't have the track record with players in Miami nor the success as a head coach to suggest players won't turn on him or haven't shied away from him already. The guy has already sent Dolphins packing or left them unsigned despite being leaders and such whom the rest of the team supported or looked up to. Philbust has already sent out shockwaves amongst this team, and now the players are watching him display similar nonsupport of a hardworking teammate they seem generally supportive of and responsive to?

29. vt_dolfan

So we needed a distraction so we can find out if RT17 run with the ball?

30. Dolphans Unite!

Dolphans Unite! Banned

Aug 17, 2014
    You're not the only one. When you compare "the distraction" we've all been talking about, which again has no negative effect on the team that can be known, to "the distraction" caused by Ryan Tannehill's current QB play, which has a huge negative effect that is known, I think you go ahead and cause the former in the hope that it cures the latter, given that the latter may be at the end of his rope, and there may be little to lose with him at this point.

The problem people are having with the former "distraction" (the one Philbin caused) is that it signals that Tannehill may be a bust, and that's a tough pill to swallow. For that reason, I imagine we'd rather talk a whole lot more about "the distraction" than Tannehill's possibly being a bust, even though the true effect of "the distraction" Philbin caused is unknown.

In other words, it's a whole lot easier to talk about a perceived mistake Joe Philbin made than to talk about Ryan Tannehill's being a bust. Notice the same thing happened after the Buffalo game, when Philbin decided not to drive down the field at the end of the first half, as well as after the Chiefs game, when he didn't call a time out with about 40 seconds left in the first half. Those "errors" (if the first one truly was) pale in comparison to the "error" we currently have playing QB.

If anything, Philbin is intentionally or unintentionally giving Tannehill a pass here, because he's behaving in a way that allows the media, the fans, and the team to focus on him and what he's doing, rather than the disturbing prospect that the first, first-round QB the team has selected since Dan Marino is playing like a bust. This might be the last "favor" Ryan Tannehill gets from him, however.

djphinfan likes this.
  31. mlb1399

mlb1399 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2010

I'm with you.

The only problem here is that our 3rd year QB's status as starting QB is even in question. I'm sorry it hurt his feelings but maybe he should man up and start earning his paycheck.

32. ElNino

ElNino Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2013
    Norfolk VA
    On the flipside, perhaps the team hears Philbin's comments and says "Damn right, dude better step up if he still wants to start." ..

There's alot of speculation about Philbin's status with the players going around. I'd imagine many players may be in agreement with the way he answered the question (again speculation) , seeing as how the QB position has not played great (but in my opinion, not as bad as some would have you believe).

And yes, i like parentheses, dammit.

33. Dolphans Unite!

Dolphans Unite! Banned

Aug 17, 2014
    Dave Hyde:

http://touch.sun-sentinel.com/#section/-1/article/p2p-81503442/

MrClean likes this.
  34. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    lol.

This proves my point, there is nothing Philbin can do or say at this point that won't be blasted. Now that's certainly due in large part to his team not playing as well as it should and that falls squarely on his shoulders, because this year he has the personnel, but I'd much rather talk about his actual short comings then these literally fabricated ones. Hyde is hedging his bets with this article.

I mean I've actually read comments from people that are not only angry because they think he made some sort of mistake but are also angry that he apologized and didn't stick to his guns too!

35. Dolphans Unite!

Dolphans Unite! Banned

Aug 17, 2014
    Philbin has given everyone a comfortable diversion from Tannehill. If he hadn't done this, we'd be talking about whether Lazor is a good enough offensive coordinator, whether his system is any good, and/or how Tannehill needs time to acclimate to Lazor's system. There would be some emphasis that took the focus off of Tannehill, because the way he's playing is too threatening a topic.

The threat of the topic of Tannehill, and the need for a diversion from it, is what gives the Philbin topic its "juice." The more we can make what Philbin did seem egregious, the more it takes the focus off of Tannehill.

36. Boik14

Boik14 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    Stay on topic. And stop accusing members of being someone else. This is the last time I will ask.

37. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Here's what I'm sayin, waiting on Tannehill to figure out what he needs to do has gotten old, we absolutely need to see if this Qb is what he is or if he has some more in the tank, now I believe after the loss at home, and the suffocating defeat against the bills, now I don't know about you but I believe something needed to happen, he got put on notice for a couple days, imo,he needed the spotlight to be put squarely on him for a change, it has now, and let's see how he responds, I'm not sure there is a conventional way to check the qb publicly..but I know I like the check because I want to see if whatever or whoever put him in that spotlight brings out a different ryan Tannehill..

He said this week nothing has changed in his preparation, he's going about his business as uge, he said nothing about understanding what he needs to do or even acknowledge what we're begging him to do on the field, it should be fun to see if the pressure put on his shoulders does something positive for him, so really whats there to lose?

MrClean and Dolphans Unite! like this.
  38. Silverphin

Silverphin Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Except no one really shied away from saying that Tannehill needs to step it up. Most people who "threatened" by the topic of Tannehill.just find it laughable how some people are quick to harp on him while essentially giving other players (specifically, the interior linemen and the receivers - sans Wallace - and tight ends) a free pass.

39. Dolphans Unite!

Dolphans Unite! Banned

Aug 17, 2014
    And it's high time for that in my opinion, because we're about at the point where we have to fish or cut bait on Ryan Tannehill.

I think if you did a poll on it, you'd find that the people who have reached their wits end with Tannehill and are about to give up on him aren't very upset with what Philbin did, whereas the people who were still holding out a great deal of hope for Tannehill are quite a bit more upset with it, because they don't want any undue negative influence on Tannehill's performance. The latter folks want Tannehill supported so that he can continue to develop, and the former folks want him challenged because they're tired of what they're seeing and don't have as much hope that it can improve.

40. Dolphans Unite!

Dolphans Unite! Banned

Aug 17, 2014
    The problem with that line of thinking, though, is that there is no evidence that the line is playing worse than the average line in the NFL, or that the dropped passes by the receivers would change what Tannehill has done a great deal. In fact, there are 19 offensive lines in football that are surrendering more frequent pressure on their QBs than is the Dolphins' line.

Also, there is a metric in PFF that adjusts QB rating on the basis of dropped passes and other factors that QBs are not responsible for, and that metric raises Ryan Tannehill's QB rating from 74.1 to only 78.8, which is 26th in the league. Both numbers are obviously unacceptable.