1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philbin accepts responsibility for causing distraction

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by CaribPhin, Sep 25, 2014.

1. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Ok, ok..getting clearer..so you think this was a premeditated tactic? Thru and thru?

2. ToddPhin

ToddPhin Premium Member Luxury Box Club Member

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    Yes, it obviously and unequivocally WAS a mistake. It makes Philbin look like a nincompoop that he can't accurately evaluate his own damn players, and it's not the first time.

First, Joe had a big part in handing Vontae Davis his walking papers after being UNABLE to do what great coaches do- inspire, motivate, support, and coach players to become their best. Chuck Pagano inspired his Colts to shave their heads in support of him, Vontae included. If this happened with Philbin, the team would still have its goddam hair. Chuck's players will run through a wall for him, so it doesn't surprise me Vontae got his s*** together in Indy and has been one of the league's best corners ever since. Joe gets the double whammy with Davis! His judgement and assessment were wrong about Vontae, AND he failed as a head coach to get the best from him.

Second, Joe's the main reason Dansby was sent packing just because he prefers his players to exhibit chronic laryngitis. Between emotionless Joe and a team subdued into silence, you'd think they're constantly in a friggin' library. Dansby wasn't a distraction to the team; he was a leader, just as he was a leader in Zona, but Joe is a control freak who personally doesn't like outspoken players, not because there's some sort of proven correlation between them and losing, but simply because he doesn't like them. So we traded one of our defensive leaders, our best linebacker, only to worsen the position.

Now it's Tannehill's turn, the team's most important player, a guy barely into his third season who looked good as a rookie and ascended in year 2, one of the team's most talented players who has it in spades over the perennial backup Matt Moore. Joe offered a lack of commitment to Miami's highest drafted QB since 1967 who just WENT OFF on Oakland and unarguably represents a greater chance at finally finding an answer at the position than Matt Moore. Sooooo this is the coach we want making decisions for the organization, the nitwit whose rash mind actually entertained the idea of replacing Tannehill as the starter with a guy who spent the past 7 years showing the NFL why he isn't one?.... and after just 3 games into the season in a completely new system no less? Are you f***ing kidding me? Joe's apprehension about Tannehill proved to be terribly misguided, as it was about Vontae and Karlos..... so what else has he poorly assessed or been misguided about or will do so again in the future?

LBsFinest likes this.
  3. dolfan22

dolfan22 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

He didn't want Brandon Marshall as well .

ToddPhin likes this.
  4. ToddPhin

ToddPhin Premium Member Luxury Box Club Member

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    Yup, and the Brandon Marshall he didn't want wasn't even the old Brandon Marshall. It was this inspiring one:
    With how much effort and resources he's dedicated to changing lives, he deserved to end up in Chicago instead of stuck with Philbin & Sherman.

5. adamprez2003

adamprez2003 Senior Member

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    Great post

ToddPhin likes this.
  6. vt_dolfan

vt_dolfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

WHO CARES.

You guys realize nobody is changing anyones mind on this.

Tannehill played awsome..how bout just focusing on the player.

7. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    I'm saying I think its Philbin's policy to not divulge that info. I don't think it had really come up before then. So answered the question the way he did. I don't think he was playing mind games with Tannehill or deflecting to detract pressure form the team or anything like that. It was just a simple policy answer.

My argument is that #1 it is not uncommon or unusual to non committal to player not playing their best. And #2, it wasn't going to have a negative effect on the team.

8. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    None of that post has anything to do with this scenario.

Those things are absolutely open for argument, but this situation isn't anymore.

Try it from this angle, explain HOW it was a mistake, What negative result occurred from it that hurt the team? Tannheill played his best game. The team crushed their opponent.

Because what you're assuming is that him not telling the media who was going to start is the same thing as him not knowing who was going to start. That's just dislike of philbin coloring one's perception of the events, because if he said one thing to the media and did another and the result was a crushing win he'd be lauded as a genius....much like when Belichick does that.

9. dolfan22

dolfan22 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Moves that keep you out of the playoffs. Rinse and repeat.

ToddPhin likes this.
  10. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Hallelujah !!! Thank you dear lord baby Jesus lying there in all your splendormeant.

It's no coincidence he had his best games..

11. byroan

byroan Giggity Staff Member Administrator Luxury Box

Nov 25, 2007
    NC
    If this isn't a significant decline. I don't know what is.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

12. resnor

resnor Derp Sherpa

Nov 25, 2007
    New Hampshire
    This season may prove to be a declining season for Brady...but, coming into the season, I wouldn't have said he was on the decline. Last season he put up really good numbers, throwing to absolute trash. I still don't think that he really has a good team around him, and his offensive line isn't doing him any favors.

13. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    He didn't put up really good numbers last season. he put up "decent" to "meh" numbers last season.

14. resnor

resnor Derp Sherpa

Nov 25, 2007
    New Hampshire
    He threw for almost 4500 yards, 25 tds/11 ints. I would say those are pretty good numbers, especially considering who he was throwing to. That is slightly below his average for TDs, but above his average for yardage. How does that equate to a player on the decline? Like I said, this season may play out and show a player on the decline, however, going into this season, he didn't appear to be on the decline.

15. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Those are not pretty good numbers though.

- 25 TDs was only good for 11th in the league
    - His QB rating was only good for 17th
    - His completion % was only good for 21st
    - Yes his 4343 yrds were good for 6th, but his Yards per Att was 22nd, which certainly dampens the total yard #s.

He was slightly better than Tannehill last year.

16. resnor

resnor Derp Sherpa

Nov 25, 2007
    New Hampshire
    Again, Fin, Brady lost two of his biggest targets last year, in Hernandez and Gronk (11 TDs combined in 2012), and he lost Welker to Denver, losing 118 receptions for 1300 yards and 6 TDs. That's 18 TDs that they had to make up. He was throwing to rookies and Edelman. And not even high profile rookies. Thompkins?? Dobson?? Come on, you act like Brady had some sort of good offensive players to throw to last year. Given what he had to work with, I find those numbers to be pretty impressive, no matter where he ranked. He basically had a whole new offense, and they just weren't good. Do you think that Peyton, Brees, Wilson, Foles, etc, would have had much better seasons if they'd been on the Patriots last year?

It's a situation where if you simply look at the QB statistics, they really don't tell the whole story. Kinda like Tannehill this year.

17. Piston Honda

Piston Honda Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2014
    If Philbin made a mistake not naming Tannehill the starter then he should make that same mistake as often as possible.

djphinfan likes this.
  18. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    personally felt and feel it was calculated, and needed.

19. Piston Honda

Piston Honda Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2014
    I think it was calculated to avoid a QB controversy and it backfired. I also think it has/had no bearing whatsoever on what's happening on the field, if it did have any effect it's been positive.

Just another example of gas bag journalists looking to make a story.