1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philbin has a sit down with Rishard Matthews.

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by djphinfan, Jun 3, 2014.

1. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    yes, I'm sure that's what the first 15 minutes is about. Even if it was, it's irrelevant. He gets paid as an employee. The expectations laid down by the coach is that he will show up on time for the meetings. The coach wants him there, plus if he shows up on time, he's not disrupting the meeting. If he can't show the tiny amount of dedication that it takes to show up on time, then he's a complete moron. because when it comes time for the staff to make a tough decision on who to cut in training camp, little things like this that annoy the coaching staff could be the difference between him getting cut or making the roster. THen when he's loading boxes in the WalMart warehouse in 5 years he can look back and wish he did the little things better and wonder if he would still be in the NFL.

Pandarilla likes this.
  2. VManis

VManis Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 10, 2010
    Tom Coughlin once fined a player for only showing up 2 minutes early for a meeting rather than the 5 minutes early he expected. A lot of coaches, particularly the old school ones, are pretty anal about meeting times.

3. Deerless Dice

Deerless Dice Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Oct 30, 2013
    haven't you heard the phrase "If you're early, you're on time. If you're on time, you're late. If you're late, don't ever be late."

Canad-phin likes this.
  4. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    I actually don't think its as much about Rishard personally as it is letting the team know being late is unacceptable for any player.

5. smahtaz

smahtaz Pimpin Ain't Easy

Yeah, you're right. I think I may be losing my mind.

6. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    Mike Sherman also had a talk with Jorvorskie Lane about being late for meetings.

RoninFin4 and Sceeto like this.
  7. Sceeto

Sceeto Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2008
    New York
    That's the one I remember.

8. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    I still don't believe Matthews is going anywhere, I believe it would be a big mistake to let him go..

9. Pandarilla

Pandarilla Purist Emeritus

Sep 10, 2009
    Boone, NC

[​IMG]

I hear sewing basketballs in Pakistan is lovely this time of year...

[​IMG]

Let's just hope they don't drug test.

10. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    Matthews has been late to meetings. This isn't Philbin overreacting, that is a huge no-no for ANY team. This is Philbin doing what he's supposed to be doing and getting Matthews to understand how to be a professional.

EverFin likes this.
  11. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    It's universally a bad thing, but again, contrast how someone who has an idea what they are doing like Tom Coughlin handles it to how Philbin handles it. Philbin is apparently going to passive-aggressive that **** up until he feels like he needs to cut Matthews. Coughlin handled it immediately like someone who is to be respected.

12. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Where are you getting all this?

13. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    This 100% I was just about to write something on this...

You can't have a sit down with a tortured soul apparently...

14. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    How do you know there hasn't been a sit down with Pouncey?

15. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    Because he is still tripping over his own dick and nothing comes out of it.....

16. VManis

Nov 10, 2010
    Coughlin is not a good example. When he started fining players for not being early enough he caught a lot of flack from the media and it was rumored that his dictatorial style was loosing the team. The Giants stuck with him and he toned things down.

Rocky Raccoon likes this.
  17. VManis

Nov 10, 2010
    How you know that Philbin's attempts to sit-down with Mike is what his brother is referring to when he says they are torturing him. Mike strikes me as the kind of guy who doesn't like to be told what to do even when the other person is trying to help him.

18. cuchulainn

cuchulainn Táin Bó Cúailnge Club Member

Sep 7, 2012
    Hattiesburg, MS
    Something did come out of it. Pouncey deleted the tweet and deactivated his Twitter account. If anyone over-reacted to being counseled on how to act, it was Pouncey acting like a scolded child by deactivating his account and whining about being under scrutiny from fans and media.

Pouncey represents the Dolphins and is a representative of their brand. For my company, I have to take yearly training on the uses of social media, my responsibilities as an employee, and then electronically sign an agreement acknowledging that the company could take legal action against me, including firing me over misuse or statements that cast the company in a negative light.

The twitter stuff is nothing new in the NFL either with teams dealing with social media gaffs. Marvin Lewis explicitly banned Bengals players from using twitter at all during the 2012 season.Philbin hasn't done that. http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/61936/marvin-lewis-continues-ban-on-twitter

Most of Pouncey's missteps has just been stupid, immature things said. Expecting Benton and his new teammates to help him make better decisions going forward.

19. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    To your point if a guy is late to a meeting you should probably have a talk with him immediately, or fine him immediately. The sitdown sounds like it's the result of many infractions over a span of time.

And it may include an incident during a game that someone described to us in the Club a while ago but refused to say which player (though hinted).

20. cuchulainn

cuchulainn Táin Bó Cúailnge Club Member

Sep 7, 2012
    Hattiesburg, MS
    Maybe I'm wrong, but I'd expect that if Matthews was late for meetings that they'd primarily position meetings and that responsibility would fall on Ken O'Keefe, the receivers position coach.

From what we've seen with Sherman and Turner, Philbin tends to let his coaches manage their individual units without micromanaging his coaches. If Philbin had to have a sit down with Matthews, it may have been at O'Keefe's request or that Philbin noticed Matthews was not heeding O'Keefe or being disrespectful to him but continuing to be late for meetings.

21. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    I love ya, but that's silly. As a cop you should know a stern talking to doesn't always alter someone's behavior...otherwise you wouldn't need a gun or a tazer or handcuffs or a nightstick or pepper spray or a cage in the back seat or a jail or.....

finyank13 likes this.
  22. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    I believe "they" is collectively as in the process....So I believe it is partly Philbin but in a small essence, also all the other Miami Dolphins coaches/front office/ballguys that have talked to him about everything from the Florida chain snatching days to gun running to free Hernandez to Incognito to the Ted Wells to the Miko thing on Twitter etc etc etc....So you have again the ORGANIZATION asking on all that stuff, then you have the Local/State/Federal authorities that want to talk to him on these gun running incidents, not to mention being served a subpoena when Miami came up here. Not saying he did or didn't do it BUT he was talked to about it. As well it didnt just stop at gun running, they probably talked to him about AH that the public doesn't know about BUT his brother who is clued in on Mike's life obviously does. As well, he probably has been talked to ad nauseam by the NFL about Incognito likewise Hernandez like wise his comments about Twitter about the draft. Then you have his family, if you were in the constant state of drama, wouldn't your family want to talk to you about it? I know mine would want to have a little chat with me, consider that as well...

I am probably missing something as well, but yeah I would venture to think that MP's life for the past 2 years has been all about explaining himself to people....I am not defending him because again he has caused much of it on his own....

cuchulainn likes this.
  23. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    I know I am hungover and tried to slide one by ya.....didnt work oh well....hahahah

Fin D likes this.
  24. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    I admire your gumption.

finyank13 likes this.
  25. Disgustipate

Nov 25, 2007
    Philbin has a godawful track record of being able to resolve any sort of behavioral issues with his players a head coach short of cutting them. This has nothing whatsoever to do with their ability or likelihood to contribute on the field, and it's happened with multiple, quality players, many of whom who have went on and not had personality or performance issues elsewhere.

Philbin can't manage the locker room.

Stringer Bell likes this.
  26. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    That's not true other than the scandal, which is not cut and dried. (I know you disagree, but that kind of behavior is normal even working in restaurants.)

You have virtually no reliable information to make that claim on. For every Chad Johnson, there could be 5 other players you didn't hear about that he got through to.

27. Disgustipate

Nov 25, 2007
    What's not true about it? There's almost certainly going to be under the radar issues, but was there anything that has actually been resolved that we've heard about?

28. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Other than Bullygate, what hasn't been taken care of that we did hear about?

29. Disgustipate

Nov 25, 2007
    Karlos Dansby, Davone Bess, Chad Johnson, Vontae Davis, Brandon Marshall, Richie Incognito(even sans Martin issue), Jonathan Martin, the entire 2012-2013 leadership council. I'm sure there are more issues like that, but when you consider Philbin's overall narrow sense of authority, limited contributions, and bull**** like noting that the biggest thing to recommend Chris Clemons was that he kept his mouth shut?

It paints a very specific picture.

30. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    The bold is all speculation built around a narrative.

31. Fineas

Fineas Club Member Luxury Box

Jan 5, 2008
    That is consistent with my impression, but I don't know enough about what goes on in the locker room to conclusively agree with that.

32. Limbo

Limbo Mad Stillz

Mar 21, 2013
    The bold is smoke. And no matter how many billows keep rising into the sky, you refuse to believe it came from an actual fire.

33. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    First we were called about Vontae Davis, we didn't shop him. We saw that happen.

Next, why would Ireland get rid of Dansby, Long, Bush & Burnett because Philbin can't "control" them (even though they did nothing wrong) but not get rid of Cogs per Philbin's request who had molested a woman at a team function? (<----Don't gloss over this legit question.) We know for a fact that Ireland wouldn't get rid of Cogs and Philbin wanted him gone. It has been corroborated. It is also the fuse that lit the whole front office divide that cost Ireland his job. With those facts, the speculation that Philbin just ordered Ireland to get rid of Bush, Dansby, Long & Burnett...makes no sense.

Its not smoke, its bad logic fueled by narrative.

mullingan likes this.
  34. Disgustipate

Nov 25, 2007
    Sure, that's a charitable way to put it.

It being a bizarre series of coincidences or a smear campaign would be very strange, though.

35. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    There's no flaw in my logic on this one and I'm not being charitable.

It is fact that Philbin wanted Cogs gone (for a real and significant reason) and Ireland refused. Why then would Ireland get rid of Bush, Dansby, Burnett & Long for Philbin's silly "request" but not Cogs for legitimate reasons....all a few months apart? It just doesn't make sense.

We also know we did try to sign Long and he declined because of Ireland not Philbin.

There's no coincidence then that 3 players brought in for a different system were let go. It happens all the time.

Again, we didn't shop Vontae. Since we didn't shop him, then Philbin wasn't actively looking to get rid of him.

36. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    Easy. Ireland was all like, "I already got rid of Bush, Dansby, Burnett and Long for you. You want me to get rid of Cogs now! This much into free agency? No.

37. Fineas

Fineas Club Member Luxury Box

Jan 5, 2008
    I've seen the reports that Philbin wanted to release Incognito after the golf tournament incident, but I'm not sure how much I believe it (or believe that it was something he had any real conviction about). Philbin had control over whether or not Incognito played and he started Incognito every game until the very end.

38. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    There was no one else to play. Philbin owes it to the team to play the best players he has, whether he wants them on the team or not. No coach sits better players for poor ones for any significant length of time because of behavior issues.

It wasn't just "reports" either. We got a detailed account of the fallout between Philbin & Ireland which the Cog's thing was the catalyst for.

mullingan likes this.
  39. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    lol.

40. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    lol