1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philbin wants Leach deal done by week's end

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by CrunchTime, Jun 20, 2013.

1. CrunchTime

CrunchTime Administrator Retired Administrator

Nov 23, 2007
    Talks between NFL teams and Vonta Leach have heated up in recent days, The Miami Herald has learned, and Dolphins coach Joe Philbin is said to want a deal done by the end of the week.
    Leach, an All-Pro Bowl fullback, has been on the free agent market since the Ravens cut him early last week. He visited the Dolphins during last week’s mini-camp, but left for home without a deal in place.
    If signed, Leach would assumedly become the starting –- and possibly only -– fullback on a Dolphins offense that struggled in short-yardage situations a year ago. He has drawn interest from multiple teams.

I hope this rumor results in a signing .We need a reliable short yardage player and one who can provide additional blocking to Tanny and the offense. :yes:

2. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Yessir, he would be our best FB since who..Paige in the early 90's?

Lou Polite when he was healthy?

As much as Lane is a great story, he clearly has not shown enough.

ASOT and Bpk like this.
  3. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    just goes to show you the aggressive, need to win now applied without let-up by the Philbin regime
    anything less then the playoffs & afc championship would fall short of expectation
    the dolphins are finally in playing to win & win big

believe they will keep Lane around another year to hone his up-side, even with Leach starting at FB

4. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

This could allow us to comfortably replace Daniel Thomas with a younger player. Leach can do the short yardage thing that Thomas tried to do unsuccessfully. He can also pass block which was Thomas's saving grace here.

cdz12250 and Da 'Fins like this.
  5. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    I really have no clue about this dudes game, never followed or iso'd him..I believe he's pretty one dimensional if I'm just thinking about how he moves?

Is Lamar better suited to run in a single back set or behind a fullback? If I remember he went without at the U..

6. Boik14

Boik14 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    Hes one dimensional but hes an awesome blocker. I once created a full back in Madden and called him Bonecrusher....thats Vonta Leach. :)

PhinsRock, ToddPhin and Bpk like this.
  7. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    Tell em, Joe!

8. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    He's a FB right?

9. ToddPhin

ToddPhin Premium Member Luxury Box Club Member

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    The most disappointed person in all this is Ray Rice that's for sure. It's not a coincidence he had 21 rushing TDs in the 2 years with Leach compared to 12 in the 3 years without.

PhinsRock, MrClean, Da 'Fins and 3 others like this.
  10. ToddPhin

ToddPhin Premium Member Luxury Box Club Member

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    ......not to mention Arian Foster with Leach was better than Foster without.

thisperishedmin and Bpk like this.
  11. Alex13

Alex13 Tua Time !!! Club Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Berlin,Germany
    i want this guy, hope we pull it off

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

12. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

This team may not reach those lofty goals, but can still have a successful season and not reach them. Keep in mind that a lot of young guys have to take that leap into being solid or better players in order for us to get that far. Its not like we have a solid team and need one or two roles filled to get there....we have to see all these FAs meld together, we have to see multiple, I said multiple guys coming off injury get back to where they were prior to those injuries, we have to see KEY second year players take a leap from their rookie campaigns, and we have to see at least 3 rookies be able to contribute heavily....that's a lot to ask for from one season...

But, I love the idea of getting Leach. It just might give the rest of our young guys in the RB stable come together as well as give us an inside running presence that we don't have right now...

13. RoninFin4

RoninFin4 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Leach is, IMO, the best blocking FB in the NFL. He's also shown he can catch out of the backfield. I believe he had 21 and 25 catches respectively in 2011 and 2012. As for Miller running with or without a FB; this is only a highlight video, but there's a good mix of plays with a FB and without a FB, so I think he's adept at either.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7dxPzUBoi4

dolfan22 and Larryfinfan like this.
  14. Claymore95

Claymore95 Working on it... Club Member

Sep 8, 2012
    Peebles, Scotland
    His experience, in what is a very inexperienced backfield, would be invaluable as well.

P h i N s A N i T y likes this.
  15. Ronnie Bass

Ronnie Bass Luxury Box Luxury Box

Dec 19, 2007
    Leach has only had 24 carries in nine years, if we sign him I don't think he will come in to carry the ball on short yardages situations but to block.

Stitches likes this.
  16. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Miller's style can adapt, he's got the footwork and patience to run behind someone..

17. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    I just find it interesting were going after such a traditional skillset, when all the talk by a lot of folks was how much they wanted to be a pass first offense.

18. RoninFin4

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    His TD against Oakland last year comes to mind. Very patient run.

19. Alex13

Alex13 Tua Time !!! Club Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Berlin,Germany
    playing time clearly was a factor too in his first few years

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

20. Paul 13

Paul 13 Chaotic Neutral & Unstable Genius Staff Member

Dec 3, 2007
    This is an odd story. Don't usually hear about Philbin wanting someone signed PRIOR to someone signing.

21. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Know what's odder? We're probably hearing about it before he said it...........

cdz12250 and MikeHoncho like this.
  22. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    I can't figure out the context for which he said it, was it because he really wants him, or wants it done early so there are no distractions come camp time, and they have enough time precamp to design what their gonna do when camp starts?

rafael likes this.
  23. RoninFin4

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    IMO it seems more like they'd want to know sooner rather than later so they know whether or not they should look at bringing in another player. If they wait too long, they might miss out on someone else.

Da 'Fins likes this.
  24. byroan

byroan Giggity Staff Member Administrator Luxury Box

Nov 25, 2007
    NC
    Make it happen.

gunn34, Da 'Fins and Boik14 like this.
  25. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    sounds right Ro..Do you think Leach has enough skill in the passing game to not give a tell to the defense?

26. ChrisKo

ChrisKo Season Ticket Holder

Nov 28, 2007
    Desert
    "How quickly they forget me!"
    [​IMG]

PhinsRock, mnfinfan, GISH and 5 others like this.
  27. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    I like those numbers Todd put up, and I have no problem with being a balanced offense, if he wants to be here, then he's more interesting to me

ToddPhin likes this.
  28. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Well, the Packers did involve John Kuhn quite a bit in a more spread-oriented offense, with a fullback getting a fair amount of work in 1 and 2-back shotgun formations. I think looking at the offense in general though this is shaping up to be more of a 2-wide receiver team with a lot of the spread elements being handled by tight ends.

29. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    You think leach and Kuhns skillset is similar, and can you expand on your point about the tight ends handling the spread elements of the offense?, I assume you mean lining up Keller and Egnew outside and in the slot ?

30. RoninFin4

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    He put up better numbers than Jorvorskie Lane did in the passing game; but I think that's what you'd use Charles Clay for. I think, in relation to your question about Disgutipate's post, you could flex out Keller, Clay, or Egnew, depending on what matchups you want to get. They've also used Gibson, Matthews, and Binns in the slot in camp (and last season for the latter two).

As for Leach. This is what I'd pay him to do: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7I5A05f8T8

I'd pay him to do this only, all day long. Notice who it's against as well.

MrClean, Da 'Fins and djphinfan like this.
  31. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    That was nice, I don't think Lane is nearly as fast thru the hole as that..

32. RoninFin4

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Agreed. Jorvorskie Lane is a nice story, and he had some really good moments last year. The consistency part is what the main issue for me. He wasn't consistent in his blocking week-to-week. He had some fumbling issues in short yardage situations. I think you're always going to have it in the back of your mind that his weight can be, or maybe already is, an issue. Good player, when he's on point. But, if you can upgrade to Vonta Leach, you upgrade to Vonta Leach. Just my $.02.

Claymore95 and ToddPhin like this.
  33. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    I don't think Leach has the same kind of experience doing what Kuhn has done, but I think he's pretty much just a better player. Kuhn might be a better player with the ball in his hands but that's secondary.

But yeah, that's basically it. I think it's possible we see as much tight end split out as we do 2x1 packages with 3 wide receivers next year.

djphinfan likes this.
  34. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    You agree with that philosophy considering the tight end unit we have.?, I could see if the unit was a complete strength of ours but accentuating it, maybe they know somethin we don't.

35. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I think the goal is to have a lineup that has 5 potential receivers on any given play (2 WRs, 2 TEs, 1 back or 3WRs and 2 backs or 2WRs, 1 TE, 2 backs or 3 WRs, 1 TE, 1 back, etc.) that is also a strong running threat. IMO Gibson is a pretty good blocker from the WR position and that is part of the reason he's here. I'm sure we'll go empty in the backfield in some instances, but I expect that to be a very small % of the time. In my dreams I picture an O where RT can look at the D and either bludgeon them with the run or hit the quick (or deep) pass on them whenever they over commit to stopping one aspect. And if we're going empty and the D falls back into coverage then RT can run for an easy first down or more. So in essence the backfield is never empty. There's always a run threat. I'd love to create an offense where no matter what the D decides to focus on, they're always wrong b/c RT can decide what to do after the D does and always has the flexibility to pick almost any attack method. The key of course is for RT to make the right decision, but as he gains experience he should get better at that. I think he has the smarts and gym/film rat personality potentially become one of the best field generals in the game. I see no reason to doubt that his ceiling is in the Peyton Manning level in that regard (IMO one of the best field generals of the modern era).

PhinsRock, Claymore95 and djphinfan like this.
  36. Da 'Fins

Da 'Fins Season Ticket Holder Staff Member Club Member

Dec 19, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    Only the best ILB in football. That's impressive.

I think Leach would be a great addition. You still need a FB in certain situations and he would be a great addition in pass pro as well - he would not get bowled over much in blitz protect.

He could also really enhance Miller's running. Give a RB some more holes to run through and that can increase his confidence as well as help the passing game in play-action.

The Packers do a great job in mixing in packages with and without the FB. Even though teams would have a different package defensively - the fact is, they would still have to prepare that package for when Leach is in the game. And, if you have Leach and Miller in the game; then play-action and the chance to free up a WR or TE in single coverage becomes that much more viable.

I just think it's a great feature. I would be elated if we signed him.

PhinsRock likes this.
  37. Sceeto

Sceeto Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2008
    New York
    I remember watching the Top 100 players. Leach was on that list and the clips of him were sick!! I remember watching and thinking;"Holy s--t!! This guy is awesome. I would love to have him on the Phins.". I couldn't find a good clip from that piece. Don't have a lot of time, but if you get a chance, check it out. How about this lick?? :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7I5A05f8T8

38. Sceeto

Sceeto Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2008
    New York
    Sorry RoninFin4. Didn't see that you already posted that vid.

39. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    IMO, what Leach would offer is the flexibility to switch approaches week to week and still have success, for example if you play a team with a strong pass D, but weak run D, you can then play power football in that game and have success.

And I'm of the opinion a Qb needs a personal protector, especially a young Qb.

40. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    I'll just say it again for fun, I'm just glad we don't have coaches who want to be all slap happy with the pass..

If Dion Sims can turn into a all round player and we don't lose much in the blocking dept compared to Fasano, we can focus on the tight end position in the draft next year..