1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philbin's back... so what's next?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by zwave21, Dec 22, 2014.

1. zwave21

zwave21 New Member

Dec 31, 2012
    Well, a week later and things have changed massively. 1. Offense showed up to play, 2. Thrilling Victory, 3. Philbin & Co. are returning in 2015. The first two should always be welcome news to Dolphins fans the third I know upset a good amount of people myself included. But, we are where we are and I will have to say I'd rather have Ross tell us now than have us speculate, and wonder what or if something will happen.

What I did notice was the players seemed please to hear the news and it seems genuine. Part of me appreciates that because if Philbin has lost the locker room it wouldn't have been a warm welcome. The offense showing up yesterday with more balance and success than in multiple weeks shows that there is still room for significant growth. The defense looks like the bigger issue going into 2015. The DLine is a mess, the LB's are what they are and depth in the secondary is shotty. Regardless, I expect the coordinators to be retained which stinks as Coyle would've been nice to replace.

Watching the game yesterday I felt like even if we lost Philbin would've still been coming back but I couldn't make up my mind whether I wanted the Win or Loss. As a fan though that 4th quarter was exciting and our QB really played a special game. My optimistic outlook for the off season and 2015 is such. Ross let the staff know this is it. Year Three showed some improvement but still no playoffs. Fourth Year is it, no excuses, injuries will happen, but the foundation has been set and should reveal positive results. With that sad, the plan should be improve the roster at all costs and make the changes necessary.

With one game left and division rival it does matter to me how we end the year. I do hope to see some of our younger players play. But, here is what I like:

RT17 - Yesterday, he three for nearly 400 yards and 4 TD's. Why? Balance. Miller ran for nearly 100 and caught another 50. Damien Williams caught another 50 and ran for 20. That really helped open up the offense for more down field plays. The kid deserves the 5th year option. Not only did he prove it with his play but look out the outside options. Trade for Cutler? Ew. Sign Hoyer? No thanks Jay Fiedler 2.0. Trade up for Jameis? Haha. This kid's future is exciting if he is given every opportunity to win.

Lamar Miller - Kid is 79 yards away from 1,000. Let him eat Lazor for gods sake. This kid is a good back, not elite, maybe not even great but he is good. What he needs is a running mate to complete the stable. He is going to finish around the 4.6 - 4.8 ypc avg this year which is pretty good considering he'll have just a little bit over 210 carries.

Damien Williams - Kid has some serious hands. His vision and aggression when he runs I like a lot. Think as he learns nuances of the game that he can become a bigger contributor. Worth keeping around in 2015 as 3rd back.

Wallace - Regardless of how you feel he has had some much better moments in 2014 than last year. The past two weeks he has had highlight reel catches for Touchdowns. BTW he has 10 this year, and god knows I can't remember a Phins WR with nearly that many. His cap # is high, but he is the speedster we need right now. We are going to have enough needs in 2015 that losing him to add to those needs would be stupid. I would look to restructure if possible but if not look for 2016 Wallace to be a potential cap casualty. Either way I like the way he is finishing this year, my hope is by completing the OL and adding another WR to complement the unit it will open up the field for Wallace even more.

Landry - my favorite rookie this year for us. Kid brings it every week, still a rookie though who makes mistakes. Think he is going to be RT17's security blanket going forward, might even say he is currently. Regardless, Landry is going to be a Hines Ward type slot WR. Someone who fires the team up, is a solid and potential pro-bowl caliber player but he is not elite in any trait besides desire to play and that is a great thing. Still, you could never have Landry as a top option at WR and figure your team is going to be dominant on offense.

Clay - healthier he gets the more familiar he looks. I resign this guy, especially with Sims emergence as a #2 option in both run/pass game. Don't think you'd have to break the bank but if Sims can keep progressing it would allow Clay to be a more moveable piece going forward.

Sims - his improvement is noticeable and I'd rank him and Jenkins on defense as the most improved 2013 Draft Class players. If he can step up to be the guy on the OLine it will allow Clay if brought back to be a interchangeable weapon.

James - has stepped up at both sides of the line. He is definitely an improvement from last year and once the turnstile stops going he should feel more comfortable at his natural position. My belief is he will end up as starter at LT within next two years.

Fox - funny he starts allows no hit, only 3 hurries and 0 sacks. Most frustrating thing with the staff is things like this. Dallas Thomas is garbage at RT, everyone knows it even him. He is better suited for Guard yet week after week he allows hurries, sacks, hits etc and still plays. It isn't til he gets injured we make a change and Fox proves he is the better player. Annoying to think what could've happened if Fox has been given the starting job against the Ravens, Lions, etc. BTW, Fox should be resigned as Albert may not be ready come Week 1 of 2015 and Fox would present a familiar option to fill in for time being. I do expect the staff to put Thomas back at RT if healthy in Week 17 which would be a huge mistake.

On defense, there isn't much to like but I will point out a couple of players:

Jelani Jenkins - looking at 2014 I will take away that we found our future WLB. One less need that could've been a major one. When Ellerbe went out it truly was a blessing as Jenkins was forced into action and trial by fire. He has passed with outstanding numbers, 105 tackles, 3.5 sacks, 2 FF, and has played well in coverage. Improving the Dline should only improve Jenkins output as he is best in space.

Reshad Jones - God it's scary to think if he had a proper running mate how good he could be. Clemons wasn't the guy, neither was Delmas. I wish they'd let Aikens get some play at FS but Wilson has been holding it down since Delmas was injured. Jones has played very well since coming back from suspension and hope to see it continue.

What I don't Like:

OL - while some may say it's improved I'd say just barely. Coach Benton has done admirable job holding the fort together and you can tell he is a much improved coach from the older ones. James/Pouncey are the only returning starters that are guaranteed in 2015. Albert is coming off knee injury so who knows how he returns. Shelley Smith was a bust and couldn't start. Colledge is gross. Satele has been serviceable but needs to be improved. That's a lot of question marks going into 2015. OG is the biggest need.

WR - I did mention two above that I liked but the rest of the group is crappy. Hartline was finally exposed this year and should be cut immediately once the season ends as I doubt he'd have trade value. Gibson I like better than Hartline but there is no reason to retain him as a #4 guy with his cap number. Wallace provides speed element, Landry underneath option with great hands, we need that physical alpha receiver who can go up and get the ball. A red zone target outside of finishing OLine project is the most desperate needs on offense.

Consistent Run Game: Seeing Miller get 19 carries and produce like he did is maddening. But, playing catch up in 2nd half you can't run the ball consistently. What we need is to come out and establish a run game early. I want us to be more physical, but that can't happen until we get a OLine who can set the tone. Miller needs a complement in the run game as well.

Missing Pass Rush: Wake had a good day yesterday, but the same can't be said for the pass rush. Dion Jordan got his 1st sack of the year yesterday and that was a welcome sight but our consistent pass rush has been decimated over the past couple weeks. Vernon/Wake/Jordan/Shelby just aren't cutting it right now and for a unit that was our best at beginning of the year there dropoff is concerning.

Run Defense: This is atrocious. The Jets started the theme four weeks ago but manhandling us. The Ravens pressed the issue, and the Patriots solidified the finding. Yesterday, the Vikings were doing the same but thankfully we made the game a shootout. This is a big concern for many reasons. Odrick is a FA and out best DT. Mitchell's play has dropped off since Week 10. Starks has aged considerably this year. Koa Misi can't stay healthy and isn't a great MLB. Wheeler is awful at SLB. Jenkins struggles with blockers so with a cruddy DLine it's tough for him to make plays. This may be the most lengthy fix in the offseason and the answer may not be that simple. Resigning Odrick would be a good start at lessening the need.

LB's outside of Jenkins: Jenkins was missed dearly in Pats game but he has played all others. I don't remember a game this year where I saw Misi play the whole thing or at least finish the game. Always seems that Trusnik has to play at some point. Wheeler is gross and has been since week 1 of 2014, lol. Going into 2015 relying on Misi to be MLB is not a good option. Having Wheeler/Ellerbe still on roster isn't good either. Please god, move Dion Jordan to SLB and train him there for full offseason. Having him blitzing from LB spot with Wake/Vernon is a nightmare.

Secondary Depth: Grimes has shown some signs of aging which isn't good. Finnegane needs to be upgraded. Taylor has shown enough that he should be in rotation in 2015, but do not rely on him and him alone in 2015. We know Jones needs a running mate, but we need one if not two solid CB's.

Special Teams as a Whole: Sturgis needs to be challenged for once and all. Fields didn't have great year and is paid plenty. Wouldn't mind seeing two new kickers in South Beach for 2015.

Realistic Improvements:

Evolve Defense Strategy: Take that for whatever it means, but I doubt Philbin feels need to fire Coyle which he should. But, hopefully Coyle can adapt and realize that this unit needs to improve quickly. If that means switching scheme... do it. If it means being more hybrid....do it. Just get it done. First thing I'd do is move Dion Jordan to LB (regardless of scheme, it is his best fit) that move will do a couple things. First, it will fill a need once Wheeler is released and add improved element. Second, it will allow the defense to be more complete, as Jordan can cover, pass rush, and play the run with good athleticism.

Fix OL: I resign Jason Fox as swing tackle (at very least until Albert is 100%), Shirt James back to RT once Albert is good to go. Move Pouncey back to Center and get his strength back. I train the hell out of Billy Turner to be teh starter at OG for 2015. I shift D. Thomas back to guard and keep him there. I release Shelley Smith as he is useless. I sign a stud FA guard: Iupati, Carpenter, Franklin, or Boling. I also would draft a OL in mid rounds, potential Tackle to move inside to Guard. We need run blockers in the interior to really make this OLine effiecient.

Run Game: When I look at the NFL, it's hard for me to draft any RB in round 1. When you have a RB on your roster who is 23 and about to have his first 1,000 yard season... it make's it unconceivable. This year's draft class is pretty loaded too. But, look at Run Game we are missing a true north/south runner who runs with power. When looking at top 2015 draft options who fit that criteria these are teh names that come to mind: Gurley, Yeldon, Davis, Ajayi, and Cobb. The first two names are round 1-3 options, the others are 2-4 more than likely. With our needs I don't see us taking a RB that high. When it comes to Free Agency there is one name I want.... Frank Gore. Yes, I mean the 31 year old. This move makes sense for many reasons... 1. He is Miami Native 2. He trains with Lamar Miller in offeason 3. Smart one cut runner with power and vision 4. He is less than 40 yards away from his 8th 1,000 yard year in last 9 seasons. 5. He is perfect complement at this point in his career to what our offense needs.

Pass Rush: Need to develop players like Chris McCain who showed some ability as pass rusher. Cam Wake is getting older but can still rush passer. Vernon dropped off towards end of year but still promising player. I think a scheme change could help, but having a better rotation and blitzing more could be quick fix. A blitzing middle LB would be ideal (better than Misi).

Run Defense: Resign Odrick. The game plays hard and passionate which we need. But, god we need a run stuffer at DT. Nick Fairley, Terrance Knighton, Dan Williams are a couple names to monitor in Free Agency. The draft always should have some options but realistically, think Starks is cut. Odrick resigned around 6 mil a year and sign run stuffer.

LB's: Jenkins is one starter. Misi is signed for 2015 but isn't reliable. My plan for this group would be such: Move Jordan to SLB. Draft a ILB 2-3 rounds. Allow Misi to compete for starter at MLB or SLB but allow him to play DE at times as well. Misi is cross trained at multiple positions which is needed. His cap number for a backup will be high, but we can't release all 3 LB's from 2013 in one offseason. Briging in a guy like Perryman, McKinney, or Kendricks in the middle would allow this defense to flourish. Another option would be keep Misi at ILB and draft OLB like Thompson or Stiker etc. Either way there are players on roster who can fill a need and need to look to draft one.

Secondary: Grimes is one starter at CB. Taylor has improved but be foolish to rely upon in 2015 as #2 guy. Finnegan will retire or be cut. Davis has been injured and not very good when he has played. Michael Thomas showed some stuff at Nickel but got injured. Jimmy Wilson is gross and should be gone. Delmas got injured on one year deal and FS will be need going forward. Going draft heavy for the needs is unrealistic as so far the plan is to draft LB early, OL mid round, DL potentially early too and we haven't discussed WR yet. Our track record with drafting CB hasn't been too splendid. Davis/Smith improved once traded or on other teams. Taylor/Davis hasn't shown the return we were hoping for. This year's draft class doesn't have a Top 10 CB. Trae Waynes is proably only 1st rounder. I think round 2 and 3 will have a heavy run on CB's but at that draft slot it'd be hard to rely on any of them to be day one starters. So, my plan would be such.... sign a Free Agent CB to compete with Taylor (again). Options: Kareem Jackson (26); Walter Thurmon (27); Chris Culliver (26); Buster Skrine (25); or Perrish Cox (27). All of them are younger players who could come in for reasonable $$$. I'd also look to resign Michael Thomas on one year prove it deal, as he was showing some good ability in nickel CB role and was playing FS. At safety Landon Collins and Gerrod Holliman are the two best with Collins being the only likely 1st rounder. This decision needs to come down to FA options vs. Draft options and what the staff feels most comfortable with.

WR: The Alpha is needed. Round 1 or Round 2 needs to be the selection for this need. Round 2 only if WR are falling and Round 1 BPA you cannot pass up. I suspect us to be picking from 14-20 range. Which will leave us out of the elite conversation... IMO only Amari Cooper. But, will leave us in play for some key players. Again, I am looking for big target, who can go up and attack the ball. Here is my group: Parker, White, Strong, Funchess, Green-Checkham, Coates, Duke Williams. My Top 3 out of that group is : Parker, Strong, and Williams.

2. ToddPhin

ToddPhin Premium Member Luxury Box Club Member

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    Philbin's back.... so what's next?

:bag:

j/k...... only slightly

RoninFin4 and rdhstlr23 like this.
  3. Rick 1966

Rick 1966 Professional Hipshooter

Nov 23, 2007
    Powell, WY
    Mediocrity and lots of it.

PhinsRDbest likes this.
  4. Piston Honda

Piston Honda Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2014
    Fixed.

Larry Little likes this.
  5. Piston Honda

Sep 23, 2014
    Get a lead back so Miller can return to being a change of pace guy. A viable threat to join Wallace and Landry, Hartline must go. LB corps needs to be reinforced. Find out if Taylor can handle the #2 CB role, add depth there and at FS either way.

6. Vertical Limit

Vertical Limit Senior Member

Nov 25, 2007
    For good reason, by the way isn't it against the TOS to edit a member's quote? Good thing you didn't edit it Winning instead of Whining, or else you would be dead wrong.

7. Nappy Roots

Nappy Roots Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Bradenton,FL

Nothing Miller has done since Moreno got injured has suggested he can not be the main back.

How do you "find out" if Taylor can handle starting at corner?

And we need to find a starting Free, not depth there.

8. DolphinGreg

DolphinGreg Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 7, 2014
    Thanks for the thoughts zwave21! :)

I think we agree on most things there. I don't see Jordan as a 43 OLB though. I don't know where that notion is coming from. He can be set wider as a 34 OLB or act as a versatile rusher from inside but 43 OLB means he's going to be in space. Maybe on occasion he could drop back like a 34 OLB does, but I wouldn't want that to be his primary role. That seems like a train wreck to me.

9. PhinsRDbest

PhinsRDbest Transform and Transcend

Jan 5, 2010
    the next dimension
    This team is so ground hog day

Larryfinfan likes this.
  10. Kud_II

Kud_II Realist Division

Oct 15, 2011
    Seneca, SC
    We cry and continue to watch a team that doesn't play 60 minutes of football in one day ever again.

seriously, draft LBers and a RB this year. Miller is great but not an every down back and also is not a power back. We need a north/south power back like you said preferably.

Are there any really good MLB prospects in the draft? Fins defense has needed an anchor in the middle since ZT.

11. Phins Up Wins Up

Phins Up Wins Up Banned

Nov 27, 2014
    I agree with most what you said. I think the offensive line can easily be upgraded. Like you said James back at RT, Albert at LT, and Pouncey back at C. In the 2nd round we can draft a guard and get another guard in free agency. That would be a solid offensive line next year and will finally put the Dolphins biggest struggle the last couple seasons put to rest. Like you said Jenkins is solid at LB. I say cut Ellerbe. That saves cap. Maybe draft a MLB. Misi cannot be relied on. I think the Dolphins should throw money at Suh, Fairley, or Knigton. They need a DT. I don't like Odrick and think he will want too much money. Randy Starks is getting old. Need another DT to pair with Mitchell because this run D has been terrible even yesterday against the Vikings. It is true they do need that big possession receiver to compliment Wallace and Landry. Either in the draft or free agency. To me Lamar Miller is the future back for the Dolphins. As you noted he is only 23 and needs more carries. I really like what I have seen from him this year and am actually surprised at how well he has played compared to 2013. They do need a big back to compliment him though kinda what they had in Moreno. Cutting guys like Ellerbe, Hartline, Finnegan, along with other players can save the Dolphins quite a bit of cap for the offseason so these upgrades are definitely doable. I for one can't wait for the offseason.

DolphinGreg likes this.
  12. Rick 1966

Rick 1966 Professional Hipshooter

Nov 23, 2007
    Powell, WY
    No, like all your posts, you broke it.

PhinsRDbest likes this.
  13. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

Gee, where have we heard that before ?? LOLOLOL....Seriously, we need changes, particularly on D, but I'd start with Coyle and go from there...

14. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    What's next?

[​IMG]

15. zwave21

zwave21 New Member

Dec 31, 2012

Appreciate it Greg, but what makes you think Jordan can't handle 4-3 OLB type? At this point I think he is better than Wheeler right now, and with a full offseason of preparing for that role I think the results could be dynamic. Why? He is 6'6" and can move with ease. His ability to rush the passer from LB and to cover TE's in space would be a huge upgrade from Wheeler who can't do either even mediocre. I look at players like Von Miller and Bruce Irvin who rushed the passer primarily in college and are now stand up LB's. Miller's role is more a pass rush specialist and Jordan can provide that while Irvin has been asked to cover more than expected and Jordan can do that.

I am at the point where I don't care about his #3 draft position. If you watch the tape he is not good enough as a DE to play over Wake or Vernon full time. He is although good enough to be on the field and make an impact and at LB we could have all three on the field at the same time.

That, paired with the fact it would answer a need at LB without having to sign or address via draft is huge.

Talk to me Greg, where does your reservation come in a 4-3? And do you think what we've had there the past two years is better than Jordan (ex: Misi, Ellerbe, Wheeler?)

16. Piston Honda

Sep 23, 2014
    Totally disagree on Miller. I think they limit his carries with good reason, 12-15 per game is about right for him. Not nearly enough for a team who wants balance, 30-35 runs and passes per.

I think Taylor had the talent to plat for us. Coyle uses mostly off looks, cover 3, man and quarters. JT can handle that if he stays healthy.

Agree on FS. If Delmas can't come back we def need a starter. Either way we need a backup better than Wilson. That's what I meant by depth.

17. Piston Honda

Sep 23, 2014
    Jordan needs a full off season, no shoulder surgeries or suspensions. The staff seems puzzled on what to do with him, they could use the additional time.

18. Phins Up Wins Up

Phins Up Wins Up Banned

Nov 27, 2014
    Why not? Before Albert went down the offensive line was doing fairly well. James and Albert are solid. Pouncey back at center is his best position. The line just needs Albert back and 2 guards. They have the money and draft picks to do it too.

MAFishFan and mlb1399 like this.
  19. mlb1399

mlb1399 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2010
    Agreed. Rome wasn't built in a day and you can't overhaul 80% of your OL in one season.

MAFishFan likes this.
  20. RoninFin4

RoninFin4 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I think most on here know I'm not a fan of Philbin and wanted him gone LAST year. Kevin Coyle isn't far behind. They're both back, I've accepted that. That being said, here's what I'd like to see in 2015:

1) Actually fix the O-line. By this I mean having Mike Pouncey back at C; having Branden Albert back healthy - if this means he starts on PUP, fine, but get him back healthy; don't rush him into action like Saban did Culpepper; getting a solid G (Clint Boling?) to play opposite Billy Turner or Shelley Smith. This also means jettisoning the dead weight: Samson Satele, Daryn Colledge, Dallas Thomas and Nate Garner. Not lost on me was that Miami's stashed Sam Brenner, Michael Brewster and Mark Asper on the practice squad.

2) Figure out Dion Jordan. I think it's fairly obvious at this point you have to try him at OLB in a Von Miller-esque role. Don't *****foot around; have him drop the weight and get him to the point where he's a 3-down starter.

3) Upgrade the secondary. I think it's pretty unlikely Finnegan (talking about retirement) and Delmas (injury) are back. Will Davis isn't an answer. Jamar Taylor's been injured more than he's been healthy. Go after a Chris Culliver in free agency. Draft a Landon Collins, Quentin Rollins, Kurtis Drummond, etc. at FS so you can let Reshad Jones play up close to the LOS.

4) As much as it's going to sting based on some of the names, but you've got to improve the interior of the defense. I think Earl Mitchell is a fit, and he's signed long-term, but beyond him you have an UFA in Jared Odrick, who quite frankly, stunk up the place from the Detroit game on. You've also got Randy Starks who strangely played his best game of the year when he played the most snaps against Minnesota...go figure. Beyond that, there's little depth to speak of. Anthony Johnson ended the year on IR and didn't show much. Nor did Deandre Coleman (PS), Garrison Smith (PS, never on the 53-man roster), and you've got a host of others on IR who haven't done anything. If this means going after Ndamukong Suh AND drafting someone, so be it. But you've got to improve the middle of the defense.

This doesn't preclude Koa Misi either. He was so-so. He's a physical player, but man, he whiffed quite a bit. If you're in the Draft and have Benardrick McKinney or Denzel Perryman staring you in the face, pull the trigger and at worst you can move Misi back to SAM if Dion Jordan doesn't work or he's good depth.

The interior triangle of the defense HAS to be better in 2015. Has to.

5) This isn't a personnel matter, so I've listed it here, but I'd have no qualms with anyone listing it higher up, but tackle better. The second half of this year was an abomination.

6) Determine what your strengths and weaknesses are at wide receiver and add/subtract as necessary. Again, I think this is fairly obvious that Brian Hartline and Brandon Gibson aren't long for the roster. Mike Wallace probably shouldn't be your true #1 option, but at the very least, get someone better opposite him than Hartline. Jarvis Landry is a boon and is a fine slot WR. Find a way to involve Rishard Matthews more.

7) Coaching staff self-study. This area needs a lot of work. Play-calling, particularly in the redzone on offense and at the end of halves/games on defense. 3rd down/situation blitzing needs a lot of work...or less of Jimmy Wilson on the field (he should NOT be re-signed). Gameplanning is an overarching issue, especially for Kevin Coyle (see Kansas City, Denver, New England 2nd game, Minnesota). Long layoffs and post bye weeks have not been kind to Joe Philbin; he needs to figure out whatever the issue is with the team coming off those layoffs.

8) Continued improvement from Ryan Tannehill. He's trending up; make sure he stays that way.

If Miami wants to impress me, I think starting with the defense, if you can nab a guy like Suh for the interior and a CB like Chris Culliver or someone of that lot, I'd start to feel better.

zwave21 likes this.
  21. 77FinFan

77FinFan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 10, 2013
    Buckeye Land
    Can I just go off topic here and say how much it pisses me off that Belichek can trade away their best O lineman and it seemingly has no effect on their season? We lose Albert and it has a dramatic effect on our O. Grrrrrr....:tantrum:

For some reason I have been thinking about this and like I said it chaps my a$$ and also casts a bright light on the value of coaching. Belichek can overcome. Not sure Philbin can.

22. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    The Pats have had the long term stability to build depth, we have not. That's the difference.

23. DPlus47

DPlus47 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Jul 14, 2008
    While I agree with you that Jordan needs a full offseason, I disagree that the staff would know what to do with him, even with additional time. The return of this coaching staff virtually guarantees that Jordan's career won't start until he leaves Miami.

24. finfansince72

finfansince72 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 18, 2007
    Columbia, South Carolina
    A HOF Qb and a HOF coach probably help too.

25. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Its part and parcel to my point of stability. You can't have a stable high level of play without those. They are good because of those two, that's allowed the team to create solid depth across the board. We aren't there yet. I'm more worried about our starters level of play, and this year they proved they are close. We just lack real depth.

26. zwave21

zwave21 New Member

Dec 31, 2012

Ronin love the points man, and I agree this defense is really trash this year. Doubt Coyle is gone but wouldn't be shell shocked if Philbin shakes it up which would be great. Current coach I wouldn't mind getting a shot if Coyle is gone is Kacy Rogers who has been here for what seems forever.

1. Boling had a hell of a block on a screen pass last night, just downright nasty. Would love that lining up next to Albert. Agreed get the guys healthy. What are your thoughts on Fox? I hope he starts this week and is our swing guy going forward who knows though.

2. Yes, yes, yes.

3. Even if they want back there nothing there but lack of progress. Agreed sign a proven vet nothing too old. Allow Taylor/Davis/Thomas/Aikens/Rookie to compete for depth and to finish out the CB. Safety is a tough one as I love Landon Collins but he would require a 1st rounder. Unless all the WR's are gone or elite LB are then I'd draft Collins. 2nd - 4th round guy is where I'd address it.

4. Don't think Suh is the answer as he is going to command $100+mil contract. Don't view DT or our Cap Room as a major need for that position. Would rather use our money wisely than in one place.

I wanna see us address ILB in draft. McKinney, Perrymen, Kendricks, Frost etc.

27. Hellion

Hellion Crash Club Member

Dec 4, 2007
    Here and there
    They also know where to build their depth, BB knows if he keeps his HOF QB upright that he can make plays even with wal-mart receivers.