1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Phins cannot Pass the ball, Phins cannot defend the Pass

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by padre31, Oct 4, 2009.

1. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Mando is on target with this analysis:

To me, I think the jig was up for Penny this season, our first three opponents simply did not respect what he brought to the table in the passing game, our Yards Per Attempt is a pathetic 5 yds per pass or so, basically the passing game was more like a long hand off.

Anthony Fasano has also A) not been as effective B) used as a blocker more this season, and Dan Henning's offenses traditionally do not look to the tight end to begin with, meaning the Wr corps is under pressure to produce and so far they have not done so.

And the final oddity, for whatever reason Running Backs do not really run routes per se, they did last season, but Sparano was asked about that and he said the usual "it depends on the look the defense is giving you" stuff, but dumpoff passes or even a route like Ronnie ran successfully against SD are rare this season.

Will Chad Henne improve on our passing game? I certainly think so, there are 5 teams worse than us at throwing the football, something had to change to improve the unit.

As for defending the pass, a good passrush covers up a ton of sloppy coverages, DC Pasqualoni rarely blitzes this season, that has been one of my disappointments with his scheme, I am not ready to dub him "Olividotti" but if this were a game of horse, we are at O-L-I....

Last edited: Oct 4, 2009
  2. vt_dolfan

vt_dolfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

I just cant imagine running a 3/4 and not blitzing.....

If your gonna run that type of a defense...why not just go back to the 4/3? Its not like we dont have the players....

3. NyPhinfan

NyPhinfan Season Ticket Holder

Dec 21, 2007
    I do agree with most if not all you stated. It has been discussed before here but Pennington just did not look right this year for whatever reason. He did not look comfortable in the pocket and his throws(albeit none every long) were off target.

I have no doubt that most teams just dared us to try and throw the ball but you would think with the success of the wildcat that passing lanes would have opened up. I am hoping EVENTUALLY that Henne can take advantage ofthis down the field. I think it will be a gradual thing not a "Immediate" one. Either way makes today a must watch for all of us.

4. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    To me, that Atlanta game really shook Penny up, he started throwing 1 yd passes to DBess after he was knocked around.

To me, what will make Henne successful is play action passing, you know the Bills will be keyed on Ricky and Ronnie, if he can play action well there will be some wide open chances down the field for him early which also will improve the run game.

jetssuck and NyPhinfan like this.
  5. NyPhinfan

NyPhinfan Season Ticket Holder

Dec 21, 2007
    Play action passes is most definitly the key. I am not looking for anything close to a "mad bombing" by Henne. We just need to take advantage of LBs and Safeties who bite "up" on the run and make some plays down the field. I just don't want Henne to try and force things

jetssuck likes this.
  6. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    As I think about that, we have the #3 running attack in the NFL, and all play action was getting us was a 5 yards per attempt passing average?

How is that even possible?

jetssuck likes this.
  7. Dolfan984

Dolfan984 Underrated Free Agent

Apr 26, 2009
    Bay Area, CA
    I think a lot of us are expecting too much from Henne. Especially this early.