1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Phins Discussion Question

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by Gunner, Nov 5, 2009.

1. Gunner

Gunner Rock Hunter

Jan 5, 2008
    Mobile, AL
    I know we're a long way off from the draft ...but ... just to get a new discussion going ... :up:

1. After 7 games & in order of priority, what do you see as the Phins top 5 draft needs as of today:

A: My thoughts are:
    1. WR
    2. ILB
    3. S
    4. OLB
    5. TE

2. If the draft were held today & based on your positions of need, who would you be inclined to draft with our first 2 picks? Target 3 to 4 players (Let's just assume we end up in the 10-15 range over all pick)

A: My choice's
    Round 1 - WR Dez Brant, LB Brandon Spikes, WR Brandon Lafell, TE Jermaine Gresham
    Round 2 - WR Eric Decker, LB Eric Norwood, FS Nate Allen, LB Sergio Kindle

Let the fun begin! :shifty:

2. Boomer

Boomer Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 30, 2007
    Let's say we're picking 16th, thus removing any conjecture here or there as we're bang in the middle, I'd certainly be inclined to look at a WR if Bryant fell, although I don't see him going that far. Jermaine Gresham would be an option, but his inability to block and the injury would be a concern, especially to a coach like Sparano who likes the all round TE. But he taught Witten how to block, so no reason he couldn't do the same with Gresh. Depending on Ferguson, I'd think a NT might be an option. I think Paul Soliai is beginning to show why a few of us round here had him pegged much higher than the 4th round. But another big man in the rotation.......

I think Morgan Burnett is a very, very good playmaking safety and has CB versatility. I think Brandon Spikes and Rolando McClain have to be right there in the mix. McClain's lack of footspeed might hurt him, but the kid just makes plays and you can cover him up in the 3-4 a little more in terms of speed limitations. I also think the wealth of OLB's might be hard to overcome. That position needs some serious analysis. Jasn Taylor may have lost half a step, but he has what, 6 sacks this season and at least 2 forced fumbles and a fumble recovery for 6. I don't see a significant drop off between now and 2010. Porter I'm not so sure about. That hammy is killing him and we have to look at Cameron Wake and wonder whether he just abused appalling tackle play against the Bills or whether he really can play. I don't ever see Moses or Charlie Anderson as anything more than depth. So guys like Jerry Hughes, Pierre-Paul, Morgan at Georgia Tech, Hardy, Wooton, the kid at Michigan, Greg Romeus, the kid at USC, etc.

A wildcard might be CJ Spiller who has the skills to pay the bills.

In the second round.....there is a wealth of talent at OLB that is going to fall. That might be a prime area. Plus you have receivers like Mike Williams of Syracuse that will tumble, although whether he's a risk for Jeff Ireland remains to be seen.

3. Gunner

Gunner Rock Hunter

Jan 5, 2008
    Mobile, AL
    So do you think there is a good chance Kindle and Hughes could be there around the 16th pick of round 2?

Also, I see a lot of talk about Spiller being just a scat back that can't carry the full load at the pro level ... is that pretty much correct or is their more to him then they are seeing? How does he compare to guys like DSproles, LWashington & RBush?

4. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Hughes is going to be doing LB drills at the Senior Bowl. If he does decently in them, he's going to be a first rounder. As for Kindle, I think he'll figure in the first round. There are GM's out there dying for his talent on their roster, I know that.

Gunner likes this.
  5. Gunner

Gunner Rock Hunter

Jan 5, 2008
    Mobile, AL
    I'll keep an eye out for them then since I live here and attend a couple of practices every year :up:

6. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    Needs are different from value. The Dolphins could use immediate contributors at ILB, TE, WR, and perhaps RB depending on what we do with Ronnie Brown.

If you need an immediate contribution at a spot, and you decide to get it through the draft, that's when I think you have to double-bag it like we did with Vontae Davis and Sean Smith, Phil Merling and Kendall Langford, Shawn Murphy and Donald Thomas, etc.

I'm not giving up on JT or JP yet. I think JT has been very good and JP is just going through hamstring issues, not necessarily just a downard spiral into retirement type thing. I think somewhere they HAVE to make the decision to use Wake more, because IMO he has a very bright future. Very bright. And so, with Quentin Moses providing additional depth, I really don't see the OLB position as a big need. I think you could target it but perhaps a little later in the draft where you try and polish up a guy like C.J. Wilson (big favorite of mine).

Yet, as I said, needs are different from value and you have to ask yourself where the value is at #16 (or hopefully more like #25-30). Are we going to get our impact ILB, TE, WR or RB at that spot? And from among those four positions, which ones will we satisfy to some degree in free agency? If we retain Ronnie Brown, and let's say we acquire a WR, can we get an impact ILB or TE at those mid-to-late stages of the draft?

Possibly not. I'd take Gresham in a heartbeat but aside from him, I'm not in love with any of the others and if we don't get Jermaine then I would start rolling the dice on later guys like Jimmy Graham. At ILB I would love to grab Brandon Spikes but I'm sure so too would a number of teams that will pick above us. I'm not sure how much I'm buying on Rolondo McClain. It's not that I wouldn't be happy to see him come here I just think he could be overrated. Then again I thought Vontae was overrated, so what do I know.

Despite it not being a need, I see a lot of value in the OLBs in that area of the draft, right around the first round. There could be an opportunity at WR as well.

I'm no longer a believer in Terrence Cody, I think he's too fat and he exemplifies the old scouts' saying that "fat guys like being fat". I don't think he could even make the headway that Paul Soliai has made under this regime's guidance and motivation. But, when it comes to the defensive line, what if you're staring at an Arthur Jones or Gerald McCoy right in front of you? What if Allen Bailey comes out and you're staring at him available? I must reiterate that you can't possibly be too good at that DE position. Or the NT position...and all of those guys have tremendous upside.

ToddsPhins and Gunner like this.
  7. adamprez2003

adamprez2003 Senior Member

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    I have a huge debate right now between wanting Jerry Hughes and Rolondo McClain with our first pick. I am willing to roll the dice and say Chris Clemons is our answer at FS for next year (see how he does rest of season) WR and TE I think can wait till round two or so. The big question to me is if Hughes and McClain are gone by the time we pick, do we go with replacement picks or do we go BPA which would probably be one of a number of DTs that would still be available. DT is loaded this year and we need someone to back up Soliai. Do we waste a need pick for a backup pick?

8. Boomer

Nov 30, 2007
    Sergio Kindle is well placed in my 'Most Overrated' box. This is a guy with good athletic ability who doesn't seem to be able to turn the corner on quality opponents and who makes plays because of others mistakes rather than his own talent. He's also a washout in the run game and he rarely, if ever stays on his feet because he plays high. Linemen know how to play him. He's a no trick pony for me.

I think Spiller probably can't carry a full load, but he's a weapon, especially in our offense. He has good hands, he runs with pace and power, he will get up in between the tackles and he can protect.

skippysphins and Gunner like this.
  9. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    It would be ridiculously hard to say no to C.J. Spiller, depending on what we do with Ronnie Brown. If we don't take him, NE will.

10. Boomer

Nov 30, 2007

I think we're not even at the mid portion of the draft process and so many things are yet to happen. I would't worry too much about wasted picks or if McClain and Hughes aren't there. Trust me. ;)

adamprez2003 likes this.
  11. Boomer

Nov 30, 2007
    Genuinely I can't see ANY scenario that means we rid ourselves of Brown. Not one. He's clearly a fresh pair of legs given the medium amount of work at Auburn and he doesn't have a lot of tread relatively speaking, from the pros, used up. He's also become the offensive leader and I also don't see the Wildcat going anywhere soon. I just think allowing Brown to move is taking 1 step forward and about three back. Could I see Spiller as the guy who replaces Ricky? Absolutely. He plays a sort of running back version of Percy Harvin for a year till Ricky retires at the end of next season and whoosh.

skippysphins and ToddsPhins like this.
  12. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    That's where Jeff Ireland has to work his magic and figure out what is likely to be available, then use free agency.

I don't know what the deal is going to be with the CBA and which teams will retain who, etc...but I can tell you that KFFL has the following LBers as UFAs next year.

Keith Bulluck
    Thomas Howard
    Clint Ingram
    D'Qwell Jackson
    Rashad Jeanty
    Derrick Johnson
    Rocky McIntosh
    Kirk Morrison
    Barrett Ruud
    Demeco Ryans
    Lofa Tatupu
    D.J. Williams

Some big names in there. Not all of it fits our system, but you know what? Some of it might.

adamprez2003 and Gunner like this.
  13. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    I don't see them using a first round pick on a guy that will replace Ricky Williams sometime "down the road". That just isn't their style, IMO.

I don't see Ronnie Brown as locked up as you do. If you notice, Ricky Williams has been taking more snaps as the Wildcat QB and I think these guys know that Ricky can run it. I see no real reason to assume Ronnie is the only back we have capable of running the Wildcat. They love Ricky Williams, he's going to retire a Dolphin. I'm convinced of that. He's cheap talent. They won't toss away cheap talent just to get rid of it. Ronnie Brown is about to demand a huge contract. Do we even know what his demands will be? As the QB of a formation that constitutes a large part of our offense, will his agent demand something that is over and above what you could expect to pay a Pro Bowl RB?

I'll say this. I wouldn't make Ronnie Brown the richest RB in the NFL. I don't see enough reason to do that.

14. Boomer

Nov 30, 2007
    I see them using a first round pick on a guy who has the home run ability of a Spiller. Whether or not they do so not, especially while Dan Henning is still the offensive co-ordinator remains to be seen.

I know they love Ricky, but he has a plan and that plan involves retiring at the end of next season. I think 85% of players could be persuaded to change their mind, but Ricky isn't 85% of players. He's a percentile all to himself. I also think Brown's leadership ability, his all round talent, especially given our system and his relative youth make him a prime candidate to be locked up. Let's be honest here, Williams is very good. Brown is elite.

I think I'd be thinking long and hard about giving him a contract that reflected just how good he is. And I think I'd fall down on the side of paying the man.

15. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    My priority positions are

1. WR
    2. ILB
    3. TE

I have a lot of faith in Clemons, so depending on what we see the rest of the year, S may or not make the list. NT is also a possibility but Soliai is looking good enough that I may be willing to just take a developmental type later.

I don't believe in reaching for positions though. So if a great talent is available early then I think you should go for the talent. In this draft I think that could mean taking an OLB or CJ spiller.

My short list:
    Round 1: WR Dez Bryant, LB Brandon Spikes, WR Brandon Lafell, TE Jermaine Gresham, RB CJ Spiller (in no particular order).

Gunner likes this.
  16. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    If I'm not mistaken, Ricky has already hinted that he could decide to delay those retirement plans. I agree with you in principle that he's not like your normal guy that can be persuaded to keep playing...but for whatever reason, he's already hinted at going longer.

I would bet large money on them not picking a running back in the first round while Ricky Williams and Ronnie Brown are both scheduled to be here for 2010...regardless of how much of a homerun threat Spiller is. I love the talent, and they'll have respect for his talent, but they will go in a different direction if Ronnie and Ricky are still here, regardless of whether Ricky is schedule to retire after the year is through.

17. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    Assuming they have a high opinion of Spiller, I'm not sure they'd pass on him b/c RB and RW are here. I really believe that Harvin would have been our choice last draft if he were available. I think they had 'offensive play maker' high on their priority list and I think that this regime will prioritize 'offensive play makers' this coming off season. I think it comes down to whether or not they see a special talent available. I think they saw that in Harvin. If they see that with Spiller then he may well be the choice regardless of RB and RW's status.

18. Big Red

Big Red Long Lasting Freshness

Oct 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    Free agency is tricky. We've had some success. Pennington, Polite, and Starks. We've gotten a few role players. Smiley, Grove, Torbor, Walden, Culver, and Jones. And we've made some mistakes. Ernest Wilford, Eric Green, and Gibril Wilson.

Aside from maybe Polite none of those guys are Pro Bowl players if you know what I mean.

Plus there's the pipe dream factor. There's no way the Titans will let go of Keith Bulluck. Not gonna happen. No way the the Browns let D'Qwell Jackson walk. Even if you're rebuilding he's a core player you build around.

Its also very unlikely that Thomas Howard, Kirk Morrison, Clint Ingram, Barrett Ruud, Demeco Ryans, Lofa Tatupu, and D.J. Williams hit the open market. Those guys are all in the their prime. Look at it from the flip side. If any of them were playing for the Dolphins would we let them go?

That leaves Rashad Jeanty, Rocky McIntosh, and Derrick Johnson. Johnson is an interesting possibility but by no means a sure thing even if we were to sign him as a free agent.

Gunner likes this.
  19. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    I have to wonder how high Pierre-Paul is on their board. I really do. The reason is because he's a freak of nature and has so much talent. I think from a talent level view, he has to be pretty high on their board but what could hold them back is his experience level; it's not high. He's got four career starts at the Division I level.

As for tight ends, I still like Aaron Hernandez of UF. He impresses me. He's more of an H-Back but I like him.

Re: CJ Spiller - He's a impressive player but I don't want a tailback that early. I'll take Ben Tate of Auburn in the 90-120 range and I'll be happy. Plus I question Spillers toughness. He gets dinged up so easily.

I was going to ask you yesterday but I forgot to; have you seen Jaiquawn Jarrett of Temple yet? He's not a bad looking safety for the late rounds IMO. Big, physical, instinctive, loves to hit but he will bite on the PA and he looks to lack elite foot speed IMO. He runs very well laterally though and I know Temple has used him in a Cover 1 centerfielder role. Doesn't look too bad.

Another late round Temple linebacker could be Alex Joseph. Stiff in the hips when dropping but he's a pretty good downhill linebacker who takes on blocks well, doesn't struggle much with trash at his feet, reads the game well and can make plays laterally. I think he's like 6'2", 250?

Last, I watched a re-run of Temple-Navy yesterday and defensive tackle Andre Neblett is a load. Very strong and is quick off the line. Though sometimes he makes the wrong read and leaves a gaping hole up the middle. I don't know if he gets drafted but at 6'2", 300 or so, he's a load and has some potential IMO.

Gunner likes this.
  20. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    From everything I know, Kirk Morrison will not be back in Oakland. They are not happy with him. At all.

Big Red likes this.
  21. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    My problem with this line of thinking is that C.J. Spiller is NOT Percy Harvin. Spiller is a running back. When Percy came out, he was playing from a WR position more often than from a tailback position. For Spiller, tailback will be his bread and butter. For Harvin, receiver is his bread and butter. That is a SIGNIFICANT difference. It is the reason I consider it all but impossible that they would select Spiller in the first round if both Ronnie Brown and Ricky Williams were scheduled to be here in 2010...unless they think about trading one of them.

22. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Perfectly encapsulated.

Probably the only guy I like aside from Gresham.

Agree on nearly every point. Love Ben Tate, he would be my guy to target later...which usually means he won't make it to "later". I don't question Spiller's toughness tho, personally.

Boy I guess I should be watching more Temple games, dang. Haven't watched a single one this year.

23. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Yeah I don't usually watch Temple but they were on this past Saturday against Navy so I figured, record it and see if there's any stand outs. They've got some nice players IMO. I like Jarrett, the safety. Like I said, bites on the PA at times but he's impressive and he can lay the wood. Big hitter. He did so well defending the Navy option offense. He would come from one side of the field in a hurry to the sideline to force the run game inside. I liked him. They've got another guy, who's like 6'3", 215. His name escapes me but he's # 6. Runs well, plays alongside Jarrett at safety. He's also a hitter but I don't recall seeing him do much. Freak of nature physically, however.

Neblett I liked. He's kind of hard to ignore and Alex Joseph, the ILB, is in on every single play, literally. If he's not the making a solo tackle then he's assisting on it.

24. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    I have no idea why you would not consider Smiley and Grove to be unmitigated success stories.

Chad Pennington came in second for Offensive MVP voting. Jake Grove absolutely is on his way to a Pro Bowl berth if he keeps this up. Justin Smiley could arguably get in as well, as could Randy Starks if they had a Pro Bowl tally for 3-4 DEs separate from 4-3 DTs and DEs. These players are all WILDLY successful free agent acquisitions.

Maybe Bulluck will stay and maybe he won't. The Titans are poor on defense. They probably need to blow some sh-t up and rebuild. And honestly, you can't say what is going to happen in Cleveland. That franchise is in turmoil. One could have easily assumed that Braylon Edwards was a "core" player that you build around.

We don't know that. If Alen1 is right, at least one of the guys you named is absolutely about to be run out of town. With that many names out there, you just don't know.

He could be a role player, he could be more, you never know. I wouldn't peg him for this system. But we're talking about a list of 12 guys and you seem so sure that only 3 of them will make it to market. I am much, much, much less certain that only those 3 will make it to market.

25. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    To expand on the Morrison story, I've heard that he's been unimpressive because he's really struggled against the run. Word is that he is lighter than his actual listed weight of 240. I've heard that he's more around 225-230 and that he's struggled taking on blocks. You can contribute some of his struggles to the piss-poor defensive line that Oakland has assembled but it's still a worry. To add, I know the Raiders moved an OLB to MLB to compete with Morrison, to try and get more out of him.

26. Gunner

Gunner Rock Hunter

Jan 5, 2008
    Mobile, AL
    Their home page says his name is Dominique Harris:

http://www.owlsports.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=2831&path=football

alen1 likes this.
  27. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    Adam P and I both like Andrew Quarless in the 4th rd or beyond area. He's really just starting to come into his own as a SR.

adamprez2003 likes this.
  28. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Alen likes him as well. :yes:

adamprez2003 and Stitches like this.
  29. Big Red

Oct 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    It seems like you're talking about potential and I'm talking about the reality of the situation as of today. Smiley didn't play the entire season last year. He and Grove still have half the year left to go. Knock on wood both remain healthy. However neither of them has ever been to a Pro Bowl or named an All-Pro. I doubt either of them would go for a very high draft pick in a trade.

They're indicative of the type of players you can usually find in free agency. Quality starters. Role players. If Grove and Smiley make the Pro Bowl then I stand corrected.

I know Chad Pennington came in second for Offensive MVP voting. That's why I called him a success. However he also had a season-ending injury that was a surprise to absolutely nobody. Next year he will probably be released. Not traded. Not re-signed. Cut. I don't mean to sound heartless but I don't see them erecting a statue outside of Landshark for him anytime soon.

I also called Randy Starks a success. If we sign a free agent who is as good an inside linebacker as Randy Starks is a defensive end then I stand corrected.

Braylon Edwards was traded. He was not a free agent. If you want to talk about Bulluck being traded then sure I could see that happening but there's no way they let him walk.

I trust Alen's opinion 100% so if he says Kirk Morrison is on the outs then its probably true. However Morrison is also currently 3rd in the league for total tackles and 2nd in the league for solo tackles. Maybe the Raiders will let him walk. Maybe they won't. We'll see.

Obviously I don't know how many of those linebackers will make it to market. However we can look at history. Last year the top six linebackers Ray Lewis, Karlos Dansby, Leroy Hill, Jonathan Vilma, Channing Crowder, and Takeo Spikes were all re-signed or franchised by their respective teams. Bart Scott was signed by the Jets but that was because of Rex Ryan taking over in New York. The "big names" that signed with new teams? Andra Davis, Keith Brooking, Michael Boley, Angelo Crowell, and Marques Harris. The best two were Davis and Brooking. Both of them are over 30. That's free agency.

An Albert Haynesworth or Asante Samuel don't come along very often and when they do they cost an arm and leg.

30. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Quality starter does not = role player. Smiley was playing at a Pro Bowl level when he got hurt a year ago. Both have been playing at that level this year, for the most part. These guys are wildly successful FA acquisitions. They are what we paid for, and they're helping us win. IMO, the average result of an expensive free agent acquisition is a guy that is not worth what you paid for him.

So I guess a guy has to be a Hall of Famer to be considered a successful free agent acquisition? I don't get this arbitrary scoring system of yours. And it would be tough to cut a guy whose contract expires after this year. Not cut. Not traded. Contract expires.

They got rid of him for a 3rd round pick. You can get that much in compensatory picks when a guy walks on you as a free agent. You have your opinion about not letting Bulluck walk, that's fine. My opinion is different. He's 32 years old and that defense has collapsed in on itself, probably necessitating a blow-it-up-and-restock type of off season. He's not a part of the problem, but I wouldn't expect them to spend a ton of money to retain him when they need so much help on the DL and in the secondary.

You're right. Last year the top six linebackers were retained. And my point was that this year there are about twelve decent linebackers set to expire, and therefore I expect a few of them to switch teams.

31. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    I pretty much agree with Boomer, CK, and Raf about our needs etc. MLB, WR, TE and depth at OLB, NT, HB playmaker, maybe CB.
    I really wish we had two 1sts for this draft to open up possibilities for McClain & Spiller/ Dez/ or Gresh.

If we draft McClain in the 1st, then the next 4 rounds need to be on finding an offensive weapon. IMO McClain and Derrick Johnson would make a PERFECT combo in the middle of our D. They'd be our defensive "thunder and lightening". LOL.

I'm not worried about Safety right now. Clemons has potential and he's been unactive until last week, so adding another Safety before Vontae, Sean, Clemons, and Gibril have a chance to gel & mature would be silly IMO. If our D line can keep it going through 4 qtrs then there is no need to focus on our Secondary right now.

Speaking of DLine..... this is the strength of our Defense. Like I always feel... you find a strength and develop it. One important aspect of this draft would be to add an extra penetrating, havoc-wreaking DLineman to help carry over our defensive dominance into the 3rd and 4th qtrs. One of the sleepers I think might be a perfect complement to Starks, Merling, and Soliai is Al Woods. He's used to playing in a talented rotation at LSU, and is very explosive for a big guy. I like Vince Oghobaase from Duke for this role also. I'm not sure who else you guys like, but I feel this is something that should be addressed this year.

It would be nice to give a guy like Spiller a year to groom and add a little more size. He has the frame for it. He doesn't have to be RW's replacement to be draftable by us. Do you guys want to keep seeing Polite split wide?..... or is CJ more enticing? He's an immediate upgrade to Bess in KR and is the explosive 3rd down back we desperately need who can block, run or catch. Teams don't game plan against Cobbs. I doubt he's even an after thought to opposing DCs. Spiller has to be game planned for and having him on the team adds 1 extra dimension to a spuddering offense. Independantly game planning for Spiller, Ronnie, the Ronnie WC, the Pat WC, and Henne (with decent receivers) would put every DC we face in the looney bin.

IMO it seems like there is a lot of athletic OLBs this draft so there should be some talent available in 2-4th round. If Sintim and Ev Brown went in the 2nd last draft, then Hughes, JPP and a few others probably will, too, this year. The only pass rusher I'd take in the 1st round so far is Derrick Morgan (and maybe Ricky Sapp).... but that's just me, and like Boomer wisely put it- there's a lot of football to play so players will still be emerging and demerging as the months go by. I'm wondering if Dennis Pitta can be the smart playmaking Dallas Clark type???? I'm also wondering how Noel Devine's hands are. I'm really liking this kid as a poor man's Spiller. If he runs a sub 4.3 and can be gotten in the 4th round, then I'm looking hard at him as a playmaker. Who else besides him and Brandon James?

rafael likes this.
  32. Anonymous

Anonymous Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Jul 5, 2009
    I don't know about drafing Spiller. Seems like a luxury pick to me. I would be much more interested in drafting, if we can, Mcclain or Spikes. But, it is very early. Who knows what we will do in FA.

33. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I think they wanted Harvin as a play maker more than as a WR. I think they wanted a guy they could move around and use like a more explosive Cobb. If they see Spiller as a guy they could do that with I believe they'll consider him regardless of his position listing.

34. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    It is tough to tell who they may acquire this offseason, we have a host of FA already, including Matt Roth and JT, and no one can say if JT wants to play another season and if he does wish to play, I doubt we get away with paying him 1.5 million.

And to further cloud the discussion, Y Bell and G Wilson both signed large contracts, do we sit one of them and take a rookie S?

Looking at this strategically, to me we go with a Te or a Wr, more than likely a Te though as Sparano is a fan of do it all types of Te's.

After that, it really is a toss up, what we know about Sparano and Co, is the put massive stock in thier player evaluation ability, what they decide privately about a player is just the way it is going to be.

For example, we could trade Ted Ginn and then draft a Spiller to take his on his roles, or we could keep Ginn, but go large Wr.

35. Big Red

Oct 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    You have your opinion. I have mine. Its all good. :up:

You ever hear of a contract extension? Pennington is only 33 years old. Peyton Manning is also 33. I bet the Colts won't be releasing him next year. Hell Kurt Warner is 38. Favre is 40.

Wow. We're really getting off the subject here. Your original point was that we might be able to sign a top notch linebacker via free agency next year so then we won't need to draft a guy. All I'm saying is that's easier said than done. Check out this list of some of the top linebackers this year.

Patrick Willis
    Jonathan Vilma
    Curtis Lofton
    Jerod Mayo
    Barrett Ruud
    David Harris
    Ray Lewis
    DeMeco Ryans
    Jon Beason
    Karlos Dansby
    Lance Briggs
    Bradie James
    Ray Lewis
    James Farrior

None of them were free agent acquistions. The only top linebacker I can think of who was a free agent is London Fletcher.

They got more than a 3rd round pick for Edwards and you're still comparing apples to oranges.

Ah but its about quality not quantity.

Keith Bulluck - top tackler on his team
    D'Qwell Jackson - top tackler on his team
    Barrett Ruud - top tackler on his team
    DeMeco Ryans - top tackler on his team
    Lofa Tatupu - top tackler on his team (when he's not injured)
    D.J. Williams - top tackler on his team
    Kirk Morrison - top tackler on his team
    Thomas Howard - 2nd top tackler on his team and a top tackler in the league

Andra Davis, Keith Brooking, Michael Boley, Angelo Crowell, and Marques Harris are not as good as D.J. Williams, Lofa Tatupu, Thomas Howard, DeMeco Ryans, and Barrett Ruud.

Tell you what. I'll concede Clint Ingram. Maybe he will get away from the Jaguars. Quentin Groves is his backup. However that only proves my point. The only reason a team would let a player go is because they feel they've got a more talented player to take his place. Where do those more talented players come from? The draft.

36. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    I used to believe in the concept of "luxury picks". Now I only believe in who will or will not make a team better. The Cardinals drafting Dez, however, would still be an example of a luxury pick IMO. If we drafted someone in the 1st or 2nd round who is exactly like someone (of quality) we already have, it would be considered as grounds for a luxury pick, especially if there's depth involved. Spiller is like no one we have on this team, so I really can't call him a luxury pick personally, but I understand where you're coming from Ash. ;). However, I'd call Jonathan Dwyer a luxury pick bc he is in a very similar mold to Ronnie.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Anonymous likes this.
  37. Big Red

Oct 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    Chris Johnson was considered a luxury pick for the Titans last year.

38. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    I respectfully disagree. Analysts who had Johnson underrated, thus dubbing the pick as a reach bc they felt he was 2nd round talent, thought he was a luxury pick. To Tennessee and whoever else valued his explosiveness, CJ was considered a rare offensive weapon. They needed offensive playmakers and fwy got one of supreme ability in him. Would you call his production the past season and a half a "luxury"? LOL. I wouldn't.

We're in the same boat. We need an offensive playmaker.... one who can help take the pressure off of us from having to always play mistake free, 10 yard at a time, low 3rd down conversion percentage, field goal football. Spiller has 19 plays of 50 or more yards despite teams rarely kicking the ball to him and having a crappy line. We need a guy like CJ who can help our offense put up points early while our defense is dominating the 1st half. Our D is setting us up to really put a team away early, but we're squandering opportunities up the wazoo. One quality playmaker couldve probably been the edge needed to beat Indy, NO, and SD.

I dont see Spiller as a RB. I see him as a playmaker and ultimate teammate.... and if we had a guy like him at the start of the season, we might be a 1 loss team right now. IMO of course.
    Posted via Mobile Device

39. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    All I know is we need a consistent, explosive, offensive weapon of any kind, because right now our offense is about as explosive as constipation..... when we need to be more like Taco Bell diarrhea-- fast, quick through the hole, spraying who knows where, and impossible to contain.

Hell, I'd settle for the occasional squirts right now. Even a regular poo is better than constipation where you're sitting on the crapper for 45 minutes but nothing comes out. Yes that's a metaphor to the Indy game. (Simile?)

What's so hard about adding a guy like Spiller who can help us poo quicker with the occasional break away runs? We've got our fiber in Ronnie to keep us balanced and regular; now we need our laxitive. :shifty:

adamprez2003 likes this.
  40. Big Red

Oct 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    You misunderstand. I'm agreeing with you. I meant immediately after the draft and prior to the 2008 season analysts called Chris Johnson a luxury pick for the Titans. They already had LenDale White and Chris Brown and had just drafted Chris Henry in the 2nd round the year prior.

After the season was over nobody called him a luxury pick.

Now as far as the Dolphins and C.J. Spiller go I don't know. It would depend who was still available. Considering our needs and the fact that we already have Ronnie Brown and Ricky Williams it would be pretty hard to pass up an Eric Berry, Chad Jones, Dez Bryant, Arrelious Benn, Rolando McClain, Brandon Spikes, Jerry Hughes, Arthur Jones, or Jermaine Gresham if they were still on the board.

That being said I wouldn't exactly cry if we drafted C.J. Spiller.