1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Phins have Top 5 Defense, Leading Pass Rusher, No offense, Welcome back '03

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Dolphins1Beatles, Dec 6, 2010.

1. Dolphins1Beatles

Dolphins1Beatles Ziggy Stardust

Oct 9, 2009
    New York
    Welcome back Wannstache years. Playing for the [blocked] Field Goal early on sure brought back memories.

Dolphins defense is now ranked in the Top 5 in the NFL, and they currently have the NFL's leading pass rusher, Wake passed Clay Matthews today. We now have a great defense [except this one can't get INTs or Pick 6's] and a mediocre offense with a big question mark at QB. Welcome back Y2K, we missed you.

I would say all we need now is a Week 17 playoffs on the line choke in New England and it would be 2002, but it's more like 2003 except the Dolphins won't win 10 games and won't get eliminated from the playoffs by tiebreaker.

The main bright spot seems to be that this defense is younger, and this ownership will probably pay the better ones to stay.

As for the offense...well we have two of the better WRs in the NFL with Bess and Marshall. Ricky is averaging 4.5 YPC [FYI that's 1 yard better than '03, except he doesn't get the ball nearly as much]. I like Ronnie and feel bad since we don't give him the ball enough, 50 yards on 16 carries today he should have at least 20, but Dolphins need a young RB to replace him, with Ricky to back him up and Cobbs as 3rd[Hey...where was he today??]. We abandoned the run again today with only 26 carries for R&R, Ronnie alone should have 20.

And the most important position QB...big fat question mark. How long do they wait for him to develop before they make a splash in FA/Trade or trading up to get a 1st round QB for the first time since 1983? Otherwise we can enjoy some more Wannstache style 7-9, 8-8, 9-7 seasons where the Dolphins hang around but go nowhere while other franchises improve and move past them. Pretty soon the Chiefs may win a playoff game and that's yet another franchise that moves past Miami in that category since 2000.

dolfan22 likes this.
  2. adamprez2003

adamprez2003 Senior Member

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    eh its a one year thing. next year we concentrate on offense in the offseason and hopefully Henne, Jerry and Wallace make the same leaps that Soliai, Wake and Clemons made this year. We will be much improved on offense next year

3. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    In 2003 we had a good running game. Non existant this year, and it still pisses me off. Being able to run the ball effectively was the key to our season and they collectively pooped their pants all year.

4. Pandarilla

Pandarilla Purist Emeritus

Sep 10, 2009
    Boone, NC
    Ha! Thinking the same exact thing...Groundhog's Day!

5. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    You know adam, I have to give you credit. You've been saying it for weeks regarding Henne and I think you're right on the money. The problem isn't that he hasn't made progress, he has. It's that he hasn't done it as quickly as we thought he would coming into this season. I still see good progress in his touch passes, going through his progressions and even in his pocket awareness. Hopefully he can put it all together.

adamprez2003 likes this.
  6. adamprez2003

adamprez2003 Senior Member

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    makes two of us. i think he will improve against cover 2 in the offseason. thing with cover 2 is unlike man to man its more feel then react. with man coverage, you identify the most favorable matchup and let er rip. with cover 2 you have to think more. do i get aggressive here, do i check down, etc. alot of young QBs get frustrated by constantly checking down and get aggressive just for the sake of getting aggressive but with cover 2 that will kill you. you have to choose your spots. that comes with experience IMO

finsincebirth and Rocky Raccoon like this.
  7. Dolphins1Beatles

Dolphins1Beatles Ziggy Stardust

Oct 9, 2009
    New York
    They do need to bring in some competition, and that is the rumored plan for this offseason, whether it be draft or trade or FA. Instead of going all in with Henne there needs to be a "Safety net." I wouldn't mind if they drafted a QB in the first round if one falls or if they trade up, and had the two compete all offseason and preseason. Thigpen is not a starter so that's out. They are going to need a new QB to replace Pennington anyway, might as well go all in and get one that is potential starter material in the 1st round.[or trade/FA if someone becomes available].

8. dolfan22

dolfan22 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Not a Beatles reference , rather a Talking Heads one " Same as it ever was "

9. bluehaze

bluehaze New Member

Dec 24, 2009
    What a surprise, the one coach we have that's not one of Parcell's buddies is actually good at his job!

10. SeanP

SeanP Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Deltona FL
    This. I'm staying optimistic.

Last year we had one of the worst performing defensive units in the league. This year our defense has been what has kept us in most games. A massive one year turn around.

One can only hope that the Ireland and Sparano can properly identify the points of issue, and remedy them in the offseason. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt, even though I imagine a lot of the defenses success is attributed to Nolan.

11. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    This reminds me nothing of the wanny years.

#1. This regime had to build the defense, Wanny took an already built defense
    #2. This regime has tried to get offensive playmakers.
    #3. This regime has tried to get a talented quarterback. if this was Wanny we would still have Josh McCown because what can Chad Pennington do that Josh McCown can't and he wouldn't want to ruin Josh McCown's confidence by drafting Chad Henne.
    #4. This regime actually drafter players who actually play for the Dolphins.