1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Phins sign LG Eric Steinbach

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by BlameItOnTheHenne, Jul 26, 2012.

1. Paul 13

Paul 13 Chaotic Neutral & Unstable Genius Staff Member

Dec 3, 2007
    If they are weighing in could it also be possible that they are reporting a previously undisclosed injury to the trainers?

2. Paul 13

Paul 13 Chaotic Neutral & Unstable Genius Staff Member

Dec 3, 2007
    ah... looks like we found the culprit.

3. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Armando Salguero is suggesting that Steinbach signed with Miami because he expects to start here. Unclear if that's his own assessment, or he was lead to believe it.

4. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    Very doubtful the Dolphins would tell him he'll probably start. The most likely is they told him he'll be allowed to compete for the start (which would be expected) and he has confidence in himself so he thinks he'll win a starting job. His competition is Artis Hicks, after all...not like he's competing with Dave DeCastro or someone like that.

Da 'Fins likes this.
  5. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    I can't imagine a new coaching staff telling a free agent that has been hurt and underperforming that they expect him to start. Chance to win the job - yes.

ckparrothead likes this.
  6. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Yup. I remember Dennis was a guy that most of the analysts talked about a lot as a high level UDFA signing. I remained unconvinced, as he didn't seem to really fit what this staff are going for at the position. Big, slow, powerful, kind of dumpy...not that surprising if he failed to make weight or pass the conditioning test. I always thought his teammate and fellow guard (forget his name already) was a much better NFL prospect and I was shocked the Dolphins signed Dennis instead of going for him. Wayne Tribue or something like that.

Josh Samuda has a real chance at this roster.

Paul 13 likes this.
  7. PhinGeneral

PhinGeneral PC Texas A&M, Bro Club Member

Jan 4, 2008
    Swamps of Jersey
    He probably just figured that since we signed Marc Colombo last year and let him start we didn't have very high standards for offensive linemen.

dwhorton likes this.
  8. Vengeful Odin

Vengeful Odin Norse Mod

Dec 2, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    If Murtha ends up starting at right tackle then I suspect we will all be missing Marc Columbo by midseason.

9. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

I do not agree with that one bit.

10. jw3102

jw3102 season ticket holder

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    I have no idea where you come to that conclusion. Ireland signed Colombo last season and he was terrible, yet Ireland stuck with him though out the entire season. As long as Ireland is making the decisions on which players to sign or draft, this team isn't going anywhere but to the bottom of the AFC East.

11. MrClean

As far as any of us know, the decision to stick with Colombo as a starter was made by the coaches. The signing of Steinbach most likely was approved by Philbin. Ireland isn't operating in a bubble when it comes to personnel. You just like to stick with your standard modus operandi and rag on Ireland for anything you can think of.

LandShark13 and CWBIII like this.
  12. ToddPhin

ToddPhin Premium Member Luxury Box Club Member

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    Do you mean missing as in "not present"? :shifty:

13. jw3102

jw3102 season ticket holder

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    Your correct, I don't want Ireland to be the GM of the Dolphins. I have no doubt that after this season is completed, many Ireland backers will be coming around to my viewpoint regarding Ireland.

14. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Jeff Ireland had final responsibility in the decision to sign Marc Colombo just as he has final responsibility in the decision to sign Eric Steinbach. If Eric Steinbach is another Marc Colombo I'm sure many of the people that like to see the glass half-full on Ireland will try and blame Philbin just as they tend to try and blame Sparano for Colombo, but Ireland has had and does have the final say on the acquisition of personnel, and there's not even a Bill Parcells around to impede on that by demanding one of his pet cats every now and again.

Da 'Fins likes this.
  15. MrClean

In 2010, playing every snap, Steinbach graded -14.4 as a run blocker, yet Hillis averaged 4.7 ypc running behind LG. I find it difficult to believe that was all because of Thomas and Mack, and Hillis just did this in spite of Steinbach.

ToddPhin likes this.
  16. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    It could go either way. I took a look at their grading of Artis Hicks in 2010 when he played guard at Washington and I totally disagreed with some of their game grades. On the other hand, their terrible grades for Marc Colombo were perfect predictors of what he would bring to the table. Though you disagreed with me at the time, a few looks at Colombo in the preseason told me that PFF was right on the mark about him.

17. Da 'Fins

Da 'Fins Season Ticket Holder Staff Member Club Member

Dec 19, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    It may be that Steinbach is a better fit than the current players at RG simply b/c he is likely more mobile than they are. Mobility is a pretty significant factor in this offense. It is also significant to me that a team with very good scouting and pretty solid offensive line play - the Baltimore Ravens - were interested enough in Steinbach to have him in for a visit. I don't think they do that if they think he's a washed up garbage can. Miami might, but I wouldn't see the Ravens doing that. Just a thought.

18. CD13

CD13 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 13, 2007
    Vestal, NY
    Good call on the timing. Poor John, just can't stop supersizing his McDonald's orders.

19. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    I wonder if Baltimore was looking at bringing him in to compete at tackle? Evidently Bryant McKinnie has informed them that he's dealing with some "issue".

Da 'Fins likes this.
  20. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    That's not entirely true. I objectively support Ireland but I won't blame Philbin should Steinbach become another Colombo. I'll blame Jerry for putting this organization (especially Ireland) in a position where we're in need of a shotgun guard signing this close to the season. If Steinbach happens to play miserably and another [currently available] FA guard has an admirable season, then I might look into whether or not that player would've been a good fit here, if he would've been cost effective, and then ask why we did or didn't sign him instead.

21. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    every player aquired is on Irelands clock now and has been starting from last year, no matter the connection..Will judge accordingly.

22. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    At least this much isn't arguable.

I personally believe he's been on the clock since 2008, because since 2008 he's been the man with the legal leverage to enforce his will on the roster.

23. MrClean

Yes, he gets final call on who is signed or drafted, but he does not decide who starts and how much they play. IMO, he discusses potential free agent signees with Philbin, and his opinions matter to some extent. Same as with Sparano before.

ToddPhin and Mcduffie81 like this.
  24. Lee2000

Lee2000 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 23, 2008
    Pearl, Mississippi
    I like this signing. I like it better than the Scott option. If he is healthy that is.

25. Muck

Muck Throwback Uniform Crusader Retired Administrator

Nov 25, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    But they coached him in Dallas...

;)

26. MrClean

[​IMG]

27. MrClean

PFF did not grade the preseason that I know of. In the preseason, Colombo pass blocked much better than he did in the regular season, IMO.

28. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    That's definitely true, but it's also prudent to look at why we're in this position in the first place.
    Vernon Carey & Jerry aren't on Ireland, but he's having to [and had to] atone for their cheeseburger-eatin ways, no? First, Carey ate his way out of right tackle, and then Murtha was lost for the entire season, both of which led to Colombo. Ireland wasn't the one who lacerated the skin, but he was the one responsible for trying to put a band-aid on it.

Jerry was drafted under Parcells' watch, and even if Ireland had final say-so in drafting him, it was to fit Parcells' Oline blue-print for a massive, man-blocking road grader rather than a zone guy.

We've also switched blocking schemes, so by default that should initially create a few problems fit-wise. Did Jerry not get the memo that his very good paying job depends on putting away the donuts, getting off the couch, and trying to make himself a better fit for the new scheme?

29. MrClean

May I ask why? We do not appear to need a LG, which is where Steinbach has always played, as I recall. We do need a RG, which is where Scott has always played as I recall. Also Scott has been an ironman for years.

30. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    The problem is everything Joe Philbin has said has indicated that he takes a "That's your job, I'll stay out of your hair on your job if you stay out of my hair on my job" approach. Almost completely hands off, to where I truly believe they weren't on the same page about Matt Flynn.

And you're 100% correct, Jeff Ireland has nothing to do with who starts. Tony Sparano has to take full blame for not starting John Jerry or Nate Garner (both of whom we speculate will be cut this year) in place of Marc Colombo in 2011. But, in fairness to Tony Sparano, Jeff Ireland had given Colombo a $2.0 million contract with $1 million of that salary guaranteed at the time of signing (the other $1 million guaranteed after Colombo was held on roster during Week 1), plus incentives to earn up to $500,000 more. So I'm pretty sure when Ireland signed Colombo and gave him that contract it was with the understanding that he was the starter. I think Sparano was in a little bit of a tough place on that one because he didn't have good alternatives.

I think the reality is both of them screwed up. Ireland never should have even signed Marc Colombo at all, let alone for $2 million with half of it guaranteed. And once it became apparent how awful Colombo was at his job, Sparano should have ushered in Nate Garner or John Jerry in his place...even if both of them aren't really NFL roster worthy (as we'll probably come to find out this training camp/preseason).

31. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    He doesn't/didn't have the legal leverage to keep himself from being un black-balled in the NFL should he have decided to break the under-the-table, wink-nod agreement by using his "words on paper" leverage to strong arm the organization.

32. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    I wasn't referring to PFF grades in the preseason, which you are correct, they don't do. I was saying that PFF's grades on Colombo in 2010 were perfect indicators of what he'd bring to the table in 2011...and once I saw a few preseason games that was enough for me to realize they were probably correct to give Colombo such awful grades in 2010 and 2009.

33. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Nor the balls to stand up for himself, evidently.

34. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Samson: "Are you keeping Heath Bell because we're paying him $27 million?"

Guillen: "I didn't pay him $27 million. That's your [bleeping] problem."

Sadly, the Dolphins do not have their own version of this exchange.

35. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    everyone paints the scenario as black or white. not how companies work. Your VP (or in this case Ireland as a GM) has authority to do what he wants, but he still isn't independent and will cave into his bosses highest demands/desires if he sees it as an okay gamble, but not necessarily a really good decision, especially a first-timer like Ireland. SO ireland does gets a good portion of the blame for not standing up to BP, but he certainly shares the blame with a SH#!!ty boss.

ToddPhin likes this.
  36. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    Not to mention, only rare linemen like Jake Long are rookie Pro Bowlers.
    The rest are often liabilities until they're coached-up (and sometimes coach-motivated) to the point the team can win with them, coached-up being the operative word. Correct me if I'm wrong, but Ireland's not a coach, right? Weren't Sparano, DeGuglielmo, and Masser the ones who underwhelmed in that role?

37. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    Ireland: "Hey Coach, guess what?.... I signed you a new guard today."
    Philbin: "Good, that's the way I like it!"

Sorry, not sure I see it going down that way.
    It seems as though you're taking their words to a literal extreme, no disrespect.

38. PhinsRDbest

PhinsRDbest Transform and Transcend

Jan 5, 2010
    the next dimension
    BTW a little surprised this isn't Kyle Kosier with the Dallas/Ireland ties. Maybe it's a good sign they went with Philbin ties instead.

39. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    why does it have to be about balls?

If Miami, Parcells, and Ireland had a preset agreement that differed in nature to his "written one" (which is most sensical), the appropriate words for the actions you suggest him to take would be "insolent, defiant, and insubordinate", not "lacking in balls".

Question: Would the NFL have allowed Ireland to leave Dallas if his "contract" weren't worded in such a way?

40. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    I don't understand why though? What good could come of a first time, badge-wearing GM standing up to or defying the legend & "savior", Bill Parcells who wasn't initially viewed as a failure here? Potential career suicide. That conversation would end with Parcells saying, "Point noted, now get the **** out!".

Agree with the rest of your post though, and good point about emphasizing how companies simply aren't black and white.

djphinfan likes this.