1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

phins' young secondary is maturing into one the league's best units

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by ATVZ400, Dec 14, 2010.

1. ATVZ400

ATVZ400 Senior Member

Mar 22, 2008
    parts unknown, NJ
    phins' young secondary is maturing into one the league's best units
    http://www.palmbeachpost.com/sports...ing-into-one-1120791.html?cxtype=rss_dolphins

dolfan7171 and HULKFish like this.
  2. HULKFish

HULKFish Artist and Scribe

Apr 30, 2008
    Central FL
    AGREED! Imagine the game Sean Smith would have posted if he would have held on to those INT's??? 3-4 interceptions in ONE game... That would have been SICK! I'm loving this secondary... Depth is developing as well with Jones waiting in the wings.

dolfan7171 likes this.
  3. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    I am wondering in all seriousness if this unit is the worst in terms of actually catching the ball...and I like Sapp too, I hope they keep him...

4. mroz

mroz Fix the OL Club Member

Oct 26, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    didn't need the article to tell me that... :)

add Carroll and Jones to that young group and we are set in the secondary for some time to come (barring injury).

dolfan7171 likes this.
  5. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

I think this also ties into the Henne thing as well. If we get the ball at the 35 yrd line, going in, a couple of times a game, think what another 7 or 10 points does to their confidence ?? Shula wrote in one of his books that a championship requires offense, defense, st's and luck... Holding onto some of those INTs could make a big difference in this team offensively as well....

SCall13, dolfan7171 and HULKFish like this.
  6. Tin Indian

Tin Indian Rockin' The Bottom End Club Member

Feb 10, 2010
    Palm Bay Florida
    I was saying in another post that I really liked the group we have now, Corners and Safeties. With just a couple of exceptions these guys are 1st or 2nd year players and they are only going to get better. Hopefully the massive amount of dropped interceptions this year will be nothing more than a 1 year anomaly.

7. gunn34

gunn34 I miss Don & Dan

Jan 5, 2008
    Oviedo FL
    True statement. Now just teach them to catch.

late again likes this.
  8. JimToss

JimToss Thank You Chad Pennington

Oct 11, 2009
    Delaware
    2 Words:
    Mike Nolan

Shamboubou, Da 'Fins and dolfan7171 like this.
  9. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    Just absolutely sickening to me that we made so much progress on defense but regressed so much on offense. Had offense just maintained where it was last season, we would easily be a playoff team. Henning has got to go.

10. mroz

Oct 26, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    agree to a certain degree... IMO, getting rid of Wilson and inserting Clemons has made a huge difference. Wilson was a huge liability in coverage and while Clemons has made some mistakes he is generally in good position to cover the pass.

Agua likes this.
  11. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    I just love the confidence of the two corners,..I think they both have been humbled early in their career and had the mental capacity to keep their act together and learn...

Really good stuff about Clemons..he really does have a lot on his plate, and playing well doing so...

RJ is flashin all over the place...

dolfan7171 likes this.
  12. CitizenSnips

CitizenSnips hmm.

Nov 29, 2007
    PA
    seriously, how good has chris clemons been? He deserves more credit then anyone this year because that's where we all thought the hole would be on this team. Now its a strength.

GMJohnson and dolfan7171 like this.
  13. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    I know some of it has to do with Mike Nolan, but let's give our front office a lot of credit for evaluating and drafting these guys when some question their abilities to draft well. This group is going to be outstanding for years to come.

14. mroz

Oct 26, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    I wouldn't call it a strength of the team. I think he is good and will continue to improve... and I don't think the FS position is a need to address position that we all thought it was going into the season.

15. uab_phin

uab_phin New Member

Dec 13, 2010
    Reshad looked like he knew how to catch against the Titans, once he gets a little more experience I think he's going to be the game changer in the secondary that we've been looking for.

16. vt_dolfan

vt_dolfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

I knew our pass defense was gonna be good.....but to be honest...Im really impressed with how we are just absolutley stuffing the run...and we are doing it to teams that are good running teams as well....

Killerphins likes this.
  17. HULKFish

HULKFish Artist and Scribe

Apr 30, 2008
    Central FL
    THANK YOU!!! My thoughts EXACTLY...

MonstBlitz likes this.
  18. Destroyer

Destroyer There for every play.

Oct 25, 2010
    Maryland
    I really like Nolan Carroll as a player. The only secondary is really good along with the D -Line.

19. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Kudos to the secondary, but the drivning force behind our success on defense is the front 7 and the DL in particular IMO. When you can be on the field for 80 snaps and still have the depth and talent to shut down the Jets run game while harassing the QB on pass downs, that is remarkable and it makes the job of the secondary relatively easy.

ToddsPhins likes this.
  20. Silverphin

Silverphin Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2007
    As much as it pains me to see dropped interception, I'd much rather see that than the alternative.

21. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    Surrendered six rushing TD's.
    Very impressive! :up:

22. Da 'Fins

Da 'Fins Season Ticket Holder Staff Member Club Member

Dec 19, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    If they do some pass catching drills ... and they continue to grow in knowledge and technique, this could really be a great and deep secondary for years to come. Potentially 3 solid CB's (with Carroll in the mix), a solid S and we really just need another SS - (Reshad Jones? Good possibility there).

There are good looking things at all 3 levels on the defense (esp. next year with return of all the DL) - DL, LB & DB. If we add an ILB (along with the return of AJ EDDS - maybe he would be the solution there next to Dansby?) then we'll be solid on D.

I think the biggest key for this D next year (along with remaining healthy) is keeping Mike Nolan on the team. They have to sell out and keep the guy. Pay him Big!

Then, it's about restoring the offense.