1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pick #25 by the Miami Dolphins: Darius Butler, DB, Connecticut

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Sceeto, Apr 21, 2009.

1. Sceeto

Sceeto Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2008
    New York
    ...from a Steelers site. My friend is a big Steeler fan...Goone.. :D http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2009/4/20/845388/btsc-2009-community-mock-draft

I agree here. I think we'll continue to build the front seven with the first pick
    :D :D I can't hear that enough!
    C'mon man! Spell Sparano's name right. ;)
    I like him, but I don't think he'll still be around at #25. I'd prefer Sean Smith anyway. ;)
    Hmm. :)

2. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    The Ironic thing is, the Steelers haven't taken a Cb #1 since Deon Figures.

Wouldn't surprise me at all if we went with Ziggy Hood at #25.

Sceeto likes this.
  3. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    no doubt the greatest 3 needs in the draft are NT, CB, WR
    don't think the WR will be our 25th pick. the draft is deep in WR's & Parcells doesn't like using first round picks on receivers or running backs.
    I think they will be addressed as they fall to us in the draft, probably with the first three picks. I also think we will go after a Center & Pat White the 3rd & 4th rounds.

4. DOLFANMIKE

DOLFANMIKE FOOTBALL COACH 32 YEARS Luxury Box

Mar 22, 2008
    California
    Butler at 25 and Nicks at 2a would make my day!

Sceeto likes this.
  5. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I can't say I agree with everything Kiper says but I do agree with this statement.

If Jenkins is gone, ''the corners at 25 are no different than the corners that will go in the third round,'' Kiper said.

That's why I don't think it makes sense to take a CB at #25 unless it's Jenkins.

FinsAreLife and ToddsPhins like this.
  6. StLouisFinFan

StLouisFinFan New Member

Apr 28, 2008
    There's plenty of doubt friend. The reason our playoff run ended last year, as well as the reason we lost a good number of games to boot, was that we couldn't generate enough pressure on the QB and our OL could not dominate the LOS. Our CB's weren't awful despite not having a "marquee" name back there. Our WR's weren't awful despite not having a "marquee" name out there. NT is debatable, as it's a crucia spot that is currently manned by an aging vet and backed up by a guy with all the tools but hasn't put it all together yet.

Here's why I think they'll go Front 7 and/or OL with at least two of the first three picks:
    1) Parcells has a long history of going with big men early and often
    2) Ireland has a self proclaimed love of players with size and ability
    3) Both have continuously emphasized the need to build from the inside out
    4) Both have continuously emphasized that "Big Men" rule the game
    5) Again, our ultimate weakness last year was our inability to get a pass rush from anyone not named Joey Porter, and our inability to run at will. That's why we lost to the Ravens and Patriots in the middle of our "run". They exposed our weaknesses, and going CB/WR would do nothing to correct that weakness.
    6) Our WRs, consisting of an UFA Rookie (Bess), a single deep threat, and a scrap heap possession guy (Camarrillo), whom all performed very well IMO, were good enough to put Penninton in the top 5 of the NFL in passing yards and efficiency. This doesn't scream 1st round to me. Yes, they'll take a WR for sure, but not first round, and probably not even first day.
    7) Our CBs did their jobs last year, plain and simple, especially toward the end of the year. Yes, we must draft to replace Goodman, but not round 1. I could see them going CB with one of the 2s though. Wouldn't surprise me a bit. Like Ireland himself said, you can have the best CB in the world covering an average WR but if you don't get a pass rush on the QB, they'll pick you apart all day long. So, instead of going for an expensive bandaid to fix the wound (CB to cover up lack of pass rush), why not tend to the wound first and foremost by fixing the pass rush such that even average CBs could survive for a while?

My prediction?

We go LB, OL, CB with the first three picks...in any order depending on who's avaiable.

7. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    1} biggest baddest linebacker on the board, I want a guy who can move inside as well

2} best corner on the board.

2b} best corner on the board or James Casey. double up or feed the wildcat

3} Pat white or best olineman on the board.

With our first four picks if we wound up with connor barwin, alphonso smith, james casey and pat white, i will die and go to heaven. the perfect blend of defense and added firepower. do whatever you want with the rest of the picks i dont care.

8. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Disagree a bit St Louis, Cb can help the pass rush via coverage sacks and our Dline simply did not apply enough pressure...as in outside of Starks or Holiday none to speak of, and Holiday is gone.

To me

DE,OLB,CB in no particular order, we could use another Cb unless we can find a safety who can cover the slot and tackle like a Safety.

Oline our needs are mostly depth/competition not day 1 starters, I can see one coming to us in the 5th, maybe the 4th if a guy slides to us and we bottom fish for a Wr and a maybe a inline blockin Te, inside the ten our Te's just could not block well enough consistently enough IMO.

9. Nappy Roots

Nappy Roots Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Bradenton,FL

yea, but problem with that, outside our 2 top CBs, our CBs were awful, and Goodman is gone...so then what?

10. FinsAreLife

FinsAreLife Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2007

I like your picks but its just hard for me to think that we wont go WR with one of those picks. Theres so much talent in that position this year in the first three rounds. I think it would be worth it. Just my opinion.

11. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    I think with people penciling in Darius Butler at twenty-five, they might as well go with Alphonso Smith if available. One thing that I wonder is where Alphonso Smith is rated on the draft board of the management or if he's rated at all. They look for a guy who can play in run support and tackle in the open field consistently. While Smith is knocked for his run support, the issue that I see is not his inability to tackle, rather him consistently taking part in run support. No he's not the biggest cornerback but he has great ball skills, very good speed to stay in the hip pocket of wide receivers down field and can make plays in run support if asked to. What's key is the Quarters coverage that will be ran. They won't ask much from the CB in terms of making a play in run support I believe. They are asking more for sitting back, making plays on the ball going down hill and play man coverage down field - something Smith can do.

Sceeto likes this.
  12. StLouisFinFan

StLouisFinFan New Member

Apr 28, 2008
    I agree, we must draft a CB. I think we'll even take one in round 2. But, I still contend a dominating pass rusher is more critical than a dominating cover guy. It's a chicken and egg thing, but for me, I say pass rush must come first. As evidence, look to the 2007 Giants shutting down the most prolific passing offense of all time in the Patriots, in the Super Bowl no less, with nothing more than a dominating pass rush. Yes, the Corners had to carry their weight, but those weren't coverage sacks you say Brady taking. They gave us all a blueprint to beat the Pats we face twice each year. Now, we just have to get the right personnel to carry the blueprint out.

Nappy Roots likes this.