1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pick #26, round 1

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by anlgp, Jan 5, 2009.

Tags:
  1. anlgp

anlgp ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

I think this is where our pick is located at in the first round. I don't know if this has been posted.. I'm sure it has been speculated. I'm not so sure if it's set in concrete there or not but I've checked several places and they all have us at 26.

My question is: who is still there that we're likely to pick up given team needs, player availability and character?

2. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    If this spot is true, props to Gish on the nice slotting of it. I think its still early to determine who will be there considering there's the combine and the practices.

3. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    You sure it's pick #26?

I would have thought pick #22. My thinking is thus. Every team that is still in the playoffs will have to pick below Miami. That means that so far, there are only 24 picks decided...the #1 through #20 picks of non-playoff teams, and the 4 teams that got eliminated this weekend. Miami is one of those four teams. The Vikings have a 10-6 record, so they should be picking ahead of Miami. But the Colts had a 12-4 record and they should be picking behind Miami. The Falcons also had an 11-5 record but wouldn't they go by strength of schedule? If so, the Falcons had a tougher schedule than we did, and therefore I believe we should pick ahead of them at #22 and not #23.

Either way, I have no idea where #26 would come from, as it would mean that a team that is still in the playoff hunt has already been seeded at the #25 spot...which should be impossible.

4. King Felix

King Felix Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 6, 2007
    with the twenty-second pick in the 2009 NFL Draft, The Miami Dolphins select Sean Smith-Utah.

5. PerfectTeam

PerfectTeam Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Port St. Lucie, FL
    Just some names to throw out there for now: Clint Sintim, Tyson Jackson, Peria Jerry, Larry English. Just names I like for right now before the the all star games, pro days and combine gets underway.

6. Vendigo

Vendigo German Gigolo Club Member

Nov 30, 2007

Nope. Contrary to common belief, playoff contention is only relevant in the case of two teams sharing the same regular season record. In this case, the non-playoff team drafts ahead of the playoff team. But worse records (in our case, for instance, Arizona and Philadelphia) will always pick ahead of the better records. The only exception are the two SB teams which are locked at #31 and #32.

To make a long story short: Yes, we do have the #26 selection which would only upgrade to #25 if Arizona or Philadelphia made it to the Superbowl. So there's a tiny reason to root for them.

Edit: Forgot about the Chargers. A San Diego - Arizona/Philadelphia Superbowl would give us the #24 selection.

7. Sethdaddy8

Sethdaddy8 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    Mt.Cody

8. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Cannot be reached.

;)

9. RealDriscoll

RealDriscoll Banned

Jan 9, 2008
    Hakeem nicks. We need a big play wide receiver. It was so evident sunday

10. Jaj

Jaj Registered

Mar 23, 2008
    Los Angeles
    I'm not so sure of that. We did need another WR but expecting a WR to suddenly become golden for you that fast is fool-hardy. Expecting a C however to give you the push you need against Baltimore is not.

11. King Felix

Dec 6, 2007
    i'm really starting to warm up to max unger, but i dont think he'll be available at 26

12. Jaj

Jaj Registered

Mar 23, 2008
    Los Angeles
    If he isn't that's all right. The draft is fairly talent-laden at the positions we'd like. Cody, Sintim, Unger... I suspect one will be available.

13. bluegrassbubba

bluegrassbubba Season Ticket Holder

Nov 25, 2007
    Bluegrass State
    I don't know if this if accurate.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_NFL_Draft

14. Boomer

Boomer Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 30, 2007
    I would say in that 22-26 area we'd be looking at; Hakeem Nicks, Brandon Pettigrew, Garrett Reynolds, Max Unger, Antoine Caldwell, (I want to say Duke Robinson, but I suppose it's dependent on the return of Smiley and Thomas), Tyson Jackson, Peria Jerry, Brian Cushing, Clay Matthews, Clint Sintim, Larry English, Louis Delmas and Rashad Johnson of the seniors. Of the juniors I'd throw in Andre Smith, Greg Hardy, Jerry Hughes, Ndamukong Suh (think he's going to be a heck of a player), Brandon Spikes, Sean Smith.

If you held a gun to my head and asked me to pick 5 players that best suited the Jeff Ireland masterplan I'd have to say:

Max Unger.
    Tyson Jackson.
    Clint Sintim.
    Jerry Hughes.
    Ndamukong Suh.
    And for a bonus point I'd say Clay Matthews.

unluckyluciano likes this.
  15. King Felix

Dec 6, 2007
    sean smith will be gone by then?

16. Boomer

Nov 30, 2007
    I don't know. I just wonder whether having Jason Allen on the roster and suffering through the "is he a CB, is he a safety, is he a CB, is he a safety" conundrum, as well as Sean being a) a junior and b) a defensive back, I'd probably have to plump for 5 others ahead of him.

I tell you, don't sleep on Ndamukong Suh if he declares. This is a guy that goes 6'3, 303lbs, has experience, can collapse a pocket with a pass rush but is the strongest player that Bo Pellini has ever coached and Bo has had some good ones including Glenn Dorsey down in Baton Rouge when he was the DC there. With his strength and hands, I see no reason why you're not looking at a future NT.

King Felix and anlgp like this.
  17. anlgp

anlgp ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

If they go the NT route do you think they move soliai or starks over to end? Or possibly ship one off in a trade package?

18. CANEPHINS

CANEPHINS No Tats & Dreads Allowed

Jan 4, 2009
    Savannah, GA
    Honestly, we need to go with a DB with the 1st pick. We need a lock down corner. Maybe a Macho Harris. I would not be opposed to taking a Taylor Mays at safety there and we have a lock there with Bell & Mays. Either way DB needs to be 1st. If by some strange chance Jeremy Maclin is still there, I could see us taking a WR 1st.

19. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    Man, I love me some Maclin, but I would not take him with our #1 pick. We need immediate returns on our #1, even if it means taking someone with less "potential."

Also, as much a freak I think Mays is, the only safety I would want us to take in rd 1 (as everything stands right now) is William Moore. At #43, I have less issue with Mays.

And Boomer, I was thinking Mathews would be there for us in rd 2. I really like what I have seen from him, he seems to really be unsung in that D and seems far more disciplined than his counterparts.

And you think Rashad Johnson is worth a 1st? I guess I just like Delmas more.

20. FinSane

FinSane Cynical Dolphins Fan

Dec 1, 2007
    Melbourne, Fl
    theyll most likely move Starks to end, because Starks is not an ideal NT for the 3/4. I see Starks playing the left side DE position in the 3/4 and remaining a DT when we go to Nickel/Dime formations. As for Merling/Langford, one of them will have to come off the bench on third downs, and I would imagine Langford being the guy. I also dont think Merling can play LB in a 3/4 scheme(as some suggested), hes too damn big, so scratch that idea for now.

21. FinSane

Dec 1, 2007
    Melbourne, Fl
    Yeah, a FS like a Ed Reed or a Troy Polamalu are hard to find. Most FS are just asked to play deep, double cover, or just dont get beat. We can find a decent one for cheap.

22. Conuficus

Conuficus Premium Member Luxury Box

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here
    Who's this Sintim guy? :whistling:

(cough) Evander Hood (cough) - (cough) don't sleep on his versatility, and he's much better than a Fili Moala (cough).

23. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    You might want to get that checked out. :wink2:

He looked good in the bowl game by the way.

24. Conuficus

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here
    Would you believe my DVR never recorded that game. The only one I missed getting on tape. I am not happy about it either. I have other tape of Hood, just would have been nice to see this game though.

25. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Damn, that sucks. Did you watch the game at all?

26. Conuficus

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here
    No couldn't watch it. Was busy, said to myself it'll be alright I set the DVR.

Everything else I have except this game.

27. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Ain't that a bi----?

28. Conuficus

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here
    tch.

29. FinSane

Dec 1, 2007
    Melbourne, Fl
    itch? :shifty:

Conuficus likes this.
  30. Boomer

Nov 30, 2007
    I don't think they'll do either. Soliai is a NT, Starks is a very valuable part of the DL rotation. Someone like Rod Wright will lose their roster spot. And we need to keep an eye out for Vonnie's replacement.

anlgp likes this.
  31. Boomer

Nov 30, 2007
    With Mays, I'm still trying to work out how he really plays in coverage. As for Maclin, he's far too indisciplined a route runner to be a Miami player if he comes out now. I hope he goes back for at least one more year.