1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pick 3 Stars and 3 Stiffs For Tonights Game

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Bpk, Sep 30, 2013.

1. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

3 Stars

1) Dion Jordan

2) Mike Wallace

3) Cam Wake

3 Stiffs

1) Nolan Carroll

2) Ellerbe

3) Koa Misi

Bonus - 4) Wheeler

Honestly, I have no idea tonight This is a hard one to guess. It could go so many ways. The LBs are there because of Graham and Sproles, a combo of not covering TEs and not tackling elusive RBs in space.

I think Wake and Jordan are keys tonight. On offense, we need Wallace to have a big game. Damn it's nice to have stars! :)

dolfan22 likes this.
  2. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    3 Stars

Ryan Tannehill

Nolan Carroll

Will Davis

3 Stiffs

Lamar Miller

Randy Starks

Daniel Thomas

Aquafin likes this.
  3. The Rev

The Rev Totus Tuus Staff Member Administrator Luxury Box Club Member

3 Stars
    - Ryan Tannehill
    - Dion Jordan
    - Brent Grimes

3 Stiffs
    - Whomever covers Jimmy Graham ( I know the Fins will probably use more than one)

dolfan22 and Bpk like this.
  4. PittPhinFan

PittPhinFan New Member

Sep 30, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Stars: 1. Tanne 2. Jordan 3. Will Davis
    Stiffs: 1. Ellerbe 2. Clemons 3. Clay

5. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    Stars: Dion Jordan, Brian Hartline, Lamar Miller

Stiffs: Philip Wheeler, Jimmy Wilson, Jonathan Martin

6. Bpk

Nolan Carroll as a star? Why?

7. Bpk

Yeah, I got a feeling Will Davis will like the Primetime lights and make a big play tonight.

Hope he doesn't also give one up.

8. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    Stars: Hartline, Will Davis, Randy Starks

Stiffs: Mike Wallace, Tyson Clabo, Rashad Jones

9. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    He has been putting up a pretty good season so far.

I would also enjoy watching all of the back handed praise people who don't like him will have to write.

10. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    Honestly, I'm not worried about giving up big plays. They're going to happen. The key is to make some defensively.

11. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Davis and Taylor are both full go tonight?

12. Bpk

WEird that I forgot about Brian Hartline. Hopefully the Saints do too.

ckparrothead likes this.
  13. Bpk

lol. Contrarian.

14. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010

The running game worries me b/c I'm still not comfortable with the protection (QB/OL/Backs and TEs all to blame). If Miller and Thomas are doing damage it'll go a long way towards keeping RT on his feet, giving the receivers time to work down field against their secondary, which is suspect IMO.

Stars- OLine, Tannehill, Hartline

Stiffs- Trusnik (if any of the LBs can't go), Clemons, Starks-Odrick or whoever is playing the 1 technique

15. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    Stats back me up. Carroll has been playing well so far. Not nearly as bad as people like to make him out to be.

16. Bpk

Oh I agree. I had a training camp thread saying I wouldn't be surprised if at some point, with Marshall and Patterson being injury prone, Carroll were our #2 CB and playing better than people give him credit for. That said, he is also not great. He's a serviceable CB who makes a few plays but gets burned a little more often than I'd like.

What people don;t give him credit for is that he has decent size and great speed, and despite what I consider to be poor change of direction ability, tries to be in the right place at the right time. Not a dumb player. His achilles heel is his lack of cutting ability.

The contrarian comment was more an observation on you liking the idea of people having to eat crow. :)

Dol-Fan Dupree likes this.
  17. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    This isn't something I saw coming prior to the start of the season but this could actually be Jonathan Martin's toughest test to date.

Cameron Jordan is playing incredible football from right end, and Junior Galette hasn't been too shabby as a right outside pass rusher as well.

Jonathan Martin will face both of these guys and it wouldn't surprise me if he has a lot of trouble with Cameron Jordan in particular.

Stringer Bell likes this.
  18. Bpk

Ugh. Galette is on that side too?

COnversely, if Martin plays well against both and holds down the fort is is a HUGE shot in the arm and validates his progress.

19. jpep13

jpep13 Coach Of The Year Club Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Stars: Dion Jordan, Brandon Fields, Charles Clay

Stiffs: Jonathan Martin, Daniel Thomas, Vernon Olivier

20. Bpk

I totally forgot about Charles Clay.

This is what's great about the 2013 Dolphins.. SO many talented players who could have a huge game!

21. NolePhin15

NolePhin15 Well-Known Member

Dec 15, 2010
    Jupiter
    Star: Tannehill, Jones, Clay, Hartline

Stiffs: Clabo, Misi, Wilson

22. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010

You may be right, he certainly won't have any trouble with Vince Wilfork this season http://espn.go.com/boston/nfl/story/_/id/9747694/vince-wilfork-likely-year-torn-achilles :shifty:

23. VanDolPhan

VanDolPhan Club member Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Hamilton, Ontario Canada
    Here's a shocker for CK.

Profootballfocus has Jimmy Wilson as the #6 slot cornerback at 50% snaps (where it starts). Even if you drop it to 25%...he's 9th. NFL rating against in the slot 39.6 with only 9 YAC given up on catches.
    Caught me by surprise o.O.

Going into tonights game Grimes is 4th, Wilson 35th and Carroll 43rd.

Bpk likes this.
  24. Bpk

Wonder which the Saints will attack....

25. VanDolPhan

VanDolPhan Club member Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Hamilton, Ontario Canada
    Well hopefully Davis/Taylor get to play tonight and they mix it up some. Wonder if having our extra corners will allow us to do something different with TE coverage.

26. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    Stars:
    - Hartline
    - Grimes
    - Clay

Stiffs:
    - Miller
    - Thomas
    - The Entire OL

27. Bpk

Wallace set to go off....

Playing for his home crowd.

Prime time game for prime time player.

PLus this is sure to stir up his juices...

Rocky Raccoon likes this.
  28. Bpk

Just getting Taylor involved helps. He is physical, aggressive, and can blitz the QB well. Davis, meanwhile, is always looking for the pick 6. I think he gets one tonight.. but only if we shut down the Saints run game and they start to go 4 WR sets (Graham split wide, so really 3WR and split TE).

29. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    There's the key right there. I don't think we can shut anyone's run game down w/o Soliai but we cant have a repeat of last week where the offense is consistently ripping off big runs and setting up easy play action opportunities. Hopefully we can put some points on the board early and make Payton a little impatient.

Bpk likes this.
  30. Bpk

To win this game we need the D to limit the Saints to less than 25 points, imo.

And Special Teams MUST win its phase.

Thigpen is so overdue for a TD. But we need a block, or forced fumble again on STs.

Also, we MUST establish some rushing threat tonight, imo. Screen game is a great suggestion if standard rushing is not working well.

We have explosive enough players in all phases. They are NOT more talented than us. We just need to execute.

31. DolPhinPhan7

DolPhinPhan7 Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2012
    + Tannehill, Grimes, Sturgis

- Carroll, D. Thomas, Jerry

32. bmicO

bmicO New Member

Mar 25, 2013
    Stars:

1. Jared Odrick: We need to pressure Brees without Wake and the interior of the Saints line has some injuries.
    2. Brian Hartline: We're going to be throwing a lot to keep up and their starting cb is injured and wasn't great anyway.
    3. Ryan Tannehill: Continues to show his growth by keeping us in a shootout.

Stiffs:

1. Tyson Clabo: The Saints pass rush is actually good for once and our tackles haven't been great
    2. Will Davis: This guy isn't ready and the Saints receivers and QB are more than good enough to take advantage
    3. Whoever has to cover Jimmy Graham: Dude is a monster

33. Kingtut561

Kingtut561 New Member

Apr 30, 2013
    West Palm Beach Fl,
    Studs: Wallace, Gibson, Miller Stiffs: Thomas, Nolan, Misi

34. phinnhedd

phinnhedd Reality.

Oct 10, 2008
    Port Saint Lucie, FL
    Stars:

Brent Grimes
    Dannell Ellerbe
    Randy Starks

Stiffs

Tyson Clabo
    John Jerry
    Daniel Thomas

35. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
  36. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Just remember, Mike Wallace similarly talked up his matchup against Joe Haden. Then he laid an egg.

The coverage and the game plan will dictate a lot of this.

37. Bpk

True.. but there is more in his favor this time, imo. Plus playing on turf.

38. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    I'm not really sure what more is working in his favor. If the Dolphins head into this game playing Wallace the same as they did against the Browns, they could easily end up with the same result.

39. Bpk

1) Joe Haden is better than Lewis (See Haden shutting AJ Green down too)

2) Wallace is playing in his hometown. I always think extra personal motivation is worth something. Just like I expected the revenge motivation to help Dimitri Patterson against the Browns. Now, this may not be revenge, but it's certainly showing up in front of family and friends.

3) Extra motivation never hurt. Wallace is avery proud player, making $60m and wanting to perform so the public sees it (thus the sulking after Cleveland). This is his first primetime game with us. You don't think he'll be extra motivated this week? I do.

Now, if you think it makes sense to shy away from him in the gameplan, that's fine. I feel like our best chance of winning this game is to actually use Lamar Miller effectively on runs and screens. If that happens, it opens a couple big pass opportunities off playaction. I think one of those is a Mike Wallace deep shot for a TD.

dolfan22 likes this.
  40. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    I honestly don't think #2 is a factor at all. He was equally motivated to play against his rival Joe Haden, to where he was talking smack about it before the game. The motivation was there. The results were not.

And #3 is basically just reiterating #2.

As for #1 I think where that comes into play is that the Dolphins may have had a tough time implementing the game plan they used against Indianapolis against the Browns because Haden was good enough to cover all potentialities. Keenan Lewis may not be good enough to prevent Wallace catching the kinds of short passes he caught against the Colts. However, he also might be too good and too disciplined to get beaten by the double-move that Wallace used to beat Greg Toler. As for the screen pass that got Wallace a touchdown, that's a different question altogether and will involve other factors on the Saints defense in determining whether we can do the same thing there.