1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pick the busts

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by bmicO, Mar 30, 2013.

1. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    Warmack already did.

2. azfinfanmang

azfinfanmang Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    So, you are basing your argument on how he did against a guy that very well could be a top 10 pick? Seriously?
    Oh, and as already pointed out, he still had 10 tackled in that game.....

3. Den54

Den54 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 23, 2007
    AMERICA!
    Three minutes?
    You machine!

azfinfanmang and ToddPhin like this.
  4. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    He's always struggled to get off of blocks. He flows well to the ball when he's uncovered, but if Gs get to him, he's making tackles late and way downfield. That's how he got the majority of those 10 tackles in that game. It's insincere to imply that he had a good game b/c he had 10 tackles. BTW this is not a singular opinion. Here's a quick sampling of some scouting reports off of a quick search.

Manti Te'o Scouting Report
    By Charlie Campbell

Weaknesses:
    May not have enough speed for the next level
    Needs more strength to defend the run effectively in the NFL
    Getting off blocks
    Man coverage against tight ends, running backs

http://walterfootball.com/scoutingreport2013mteo.php

2013 NFL Draft: Manti Te'o Scouting Report
    By Vincent Frank on March 27, 2013

Weaknesses

Shedding Blocks: While Te'o is great in terms of taking down the receiver or ball carrier, he struggles getting past gap-blocking schemes at the line and will not be able shed the blocks of stronger offensive lineman when attempting to hit the offensive backfield.

http://edraft.com/nfl/news/2013-nfl-draft-manti-teo-scouting-report/

WEAKNESSES: Does not possess elite straight-line speed and may struggle to beat the NFL's faster backs to the edge. Was protected by an awfully talented defensive front at Notre Dame and struggled to get off blocks against Alabama when they were unable to keep blockers away from him.
    http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1697293

I didn't post these to claim that they are true. I'm just saying that it is a fairly common criticism of Te'o. So it's ridiculous to act like I made some off the wall assessment or that I should tell him b/c he would have no idea otherwise. Reality is that several people have assuredly already talked to him about it. He has to know it's a criticism of his game. IMO it's a well founded criticism.

bmicO, Fin D and Bpk like this.
  5. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    I was looking for more film on Margus Hunt and found this, the guy who posted it jmpasqdraftjedi always does a good job. Hunt is flawed as every DE is in this draft class, but man can this guy get around the corner quick for a 280 lb DE, see 1:54 here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgNUN-Sqj_Y

Nice replay at 2:10. Combine that 4.60 speed with elite strength and you have some good building blocks imo. Regardless, that is one biog, fast and strong edge rusher. Not the smoothest athlete, but a great athlete nonetheless. I'd look at him in the 3rd round, his age (25 or 26) should knock him down a round or so imo. Not the greatest prospect, not the prettiest athlete, but we could use some of that imo- the bottom line is that he can bring the heat off the edge.

Will he bust? Who knows, but I'd give him a shot, the tools are there.

6. Da 'Fins

Da 'Fins Season Ticket Holder Staff Member Club Member

Dec 19, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    I think Jordan has potential because of his athleticism. But, it would take a lot of work and good coaching and the right situation.

But I do agree with your take on the class of DEs. I would not want any in mid round 1.

7. CRL

CRL New Member

Jan 28, 2013
    I think the Kevin Minter should be on that list of busts.

8. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

I wouldn't touch Margus Hunt until the fifth round. I was totally unimpressed with him from waist down. Waist-up, fine player.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

9. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    No matter how you cut it the guy is a physical specimen who can turn the corner and get to the QB. I don't like how his lower body moves much either, but style points in running didn't get him a 4.6 flat at the combine at 6-8 and pushing 280 lbs. And that is ludicrous. So was 38 reps of 225, it would be interesting to see how his lower body strength tests out, but given the intensive track background I'm thinking that he has good body strength. He just looks like crap running, bottom line. That being said, I doubt that he'll escape the 3rd round, and that's with the draft handicap of being almost 26 years old. I don't see him lasting until the 5th round, at all. You might be unimpressed with his lower half, but you should be impressed with how fast that lower half moves him on the field. I haven't seen many DEs, if any, who get to the QB faster than this giant of a man does.

10. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    I'll go after two projected top 15 players..

Patterson and Mingo.

rafael and Bpk like this.
  11. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

I can see your point Jim. CK also
    pointed out Margus' age advantage and weakness of competition in the games where he performed well.

It would take more than combine numbers to change how I feel about him. It would take on-the-field success against top tier talent.

12. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    To clarify, I'm somewhat of a fan of Hunt, not a huge fan, but still very interested. His combine numbers are nice, but they're far from the end all be all. What gets me about Hunt is how quickly he turns the corner and gets to the QB, especially for a man of his size. That is rare stuff. As a bonus you have a guy who's 6-8 and can knock down passes and is stellar at blocking kicks, not to mention the strength.

Just watch the tape, he has a darned good 1st step and gets to the QB quickly on an outside rush, bottom line. I'm not saying that he's a world beater, but especially given how flawed this entire DE class is, Hunt is someone who I'm definitely interested in.

13. unluckyluciano

unluckyluciano For My Hero JetsSuck

Dec 7, 2007
    In all fairness that includes a two minute break

mbsinmisc likes this.
  14. BlameItOnTheHenne

BlameItOnTheHenne Taking a poop

Aug 15, 2010
    Davie
    Tavon Austin

:couch:

15. unluckyluciano

unluckyluciano For My Hero JetsSuck

Dec 7, 2007
    Peyton manning. Buuuuuusssssttttt

16. azfinfanmang

azfinfanmang Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007

That's what I said about Darren McFadden when he went into the NFL. The kid wears 70% of his weight above his waist. Never a good thing for a running back.... I suggested he was going to get beat up in the NFL..and for the most part, I have been correct.

Weight Room warriors don't usually do so well in the NFL.

17. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    Crucify him!

[​IMG]