1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

plants

Discussion in 'Questions and Answers' started by unluckyluciano, Feb 12, 2009.

Tags:
  1. unluckyluciano

unluckyluciano For My Hero JetsSuck

Dec 7, 2007
    can they feel pain or a human equivalent to it? This is a serious question, I found myself wondering about it earlier.

Any reference pmed to me or otherwise would be greatly appreciated as well.

2. Vengeful Odin

Vengeful Odin Norse Mod

Dec 2, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    From a strictly scientific standpoint, I know there's been a number of studies that show they do indeed produce chemical reactions to being cut, torn, shocked, burned, etc. So in that sense, it's entirely plausible that they may feel something that is the equivalent of pain. They just can't scream to let us know about it.

I also seem to remember reading something somewhere that plants grown while listening to classical music seemed to do better than a similar control group without the classical music.

Really though, it depends on your view of plants in the world. Are plants alive? Do they have feelings? If your answer to these questions are yes, then yes, they would feel pain.

unluckyluciano likes this.
  3. unluckyluciano

Dec 7, 2007
    i was referring more to the chemical reaction, maybe a nervous system type system....................if that makes sense. I'm pretty sure they do I just want to know how mostly and if anyone else has info to the contrary. thanks anyways buddy you're the best.

4. opfinistic

opfinistic Braaaaains!

Dec 7, 2007
    Peeking in Nabo's Basement
    I really hope they don't. The thought of a million blades of grass screaming as they are decapitated while I mow the lawn makes my skin crawl.

5. unluckyluciano

Dec 7, 2007
    or when you light them on fire and inhale their pain......

vmarcilfan75, SICK and opfinistic like this.
  6. opfinistic

opfinistic Braaaaains!

Dec 7, 2007
    :shifty:

I can live with that.

When this story breaks and PETA launches PETP, what will we end up eating?

vmarcilfan75 and unluckyluciano like this.
  7. anlgp

anlgp ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

Plants are living beings. Why wouldn't they feel pain?

8. Vengeful Odin

Vengeful Odin Norse Mod

Dec 2, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Well from a strictly scientific standpoint, they certainly have a "nervous" system structure that reacts to the introduction of negative stimuli.

Here's a link that points to a scientific study done on the very subject.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_can_a_plant_feel_pain_without_a_nervous_system

9. unluckyluciano

Dec 7, 2007
    well you would have to find proof a mechanism. otherwise the logical conclusion is they dont feel pain. or at least react to violent experiences.

10. HolliFinFan

HolliFinFan Not a Face Painter Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    South Florida
    I do not believe that plants feel pains. They possess neither a brain nor a central nervous system. Think about it. How cruel would it be for them as they have no fight or flight recourse?

11. unluckyluciano

Dec 7, 2007
    whats a nervous system? a series of chemical reactions same for a brain, so while they might not process information as animals do, they might do it somewhat differently. at least imo.

12. HolliFinFan

Nov 24, 2007
    South Florida
    yet with the absence of a brain, the receptors for the processing are not available.

13. unluckyluciano

Dec 7, 2007
    no but there is still room for a reaction after the processing IMO.

14. HolliFinFan

Nov 24, 2007
    South Florida
    How, since processing is not possible?

15. cnc66

cnc66 wiley veteran, bad spelur Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007

because they don't have a central nervous system :wink2:

but just in case I just went outside and threatened to tear all the little arms off my grass if it started growing again

16. unluckyluciano

Dec 7, 2007
    processing in the awareness since no. processing in the sense that a series of reactions cause some sort of action yes...........
    Im thinking along the lines of a computer processor, although in all fairness a computer processor has some set of mathmatic operations...........

17. HolliFinFan

Nov 24, 2007
    South Florida
    why you trippin? ;)

18. unluckyluciano

Dec 7, 2007
    who knows why, just the things I think ...............:lol:

19. cnc66

Nov 23, 2007
    pretty loud in there huh..

20. unluckyluciano

Dec 7, 2007
    the echo kills me :shifty:

cnc66 likes this.
  21. cnc66

Nov 23, 2007
    someone asked about everglades water flow once and I was just expounding all over the subject and one of my buddies gets up, walks over, tilts his head a little and STARES into my right eye, like he was looking through it.. I looked back.. he then said deadpan, "it's REALLY loud in there isn't it?" shook his head and walked away.. that was 20 years ago and I still hear comments if I get going in the right company.. what else are friends for except to remind you of every stupid damn thing the saw you do. bastiches.

I KNOW lucky, so you ain't foolin' me... echo indeed... you've got voices too.

Celtkin and unluckyluciano like this.
  22. Celtkin

Celtkin <B>Webmaster</b> Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    46.73° N, 117.00° W
    I agree with Lisa and others who are of the opinion that plants don't have the mechanisms in place to feel the sensation we call "pain". Pain is a defensive trigger that forces "higher" animals to move away from or immediately deal with a potentially dangerous threat. I think we all agree that plants are not all that into "moving".

There is no doubt that plants respond to physical stimuli by differentially regulating proteins and signal transduction pathways to respond to changes in their physical environment (draught, elevated salt, heat, etc) in the same way all living creatures do but I would not expect those stimuli to trigger a pain response.

Fin D, late again and unluckyluciano like this.
  23. DaFish

DaFish Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2007
    Myrtle Beach, SC
    That's an easy one! Haven't you seen The Happening? It's all true! The plants are gonna make us pay for all the pain!

24. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    I do believe plants are in a sense alive. They even evolve poisons, barbs and other weapons to defend themselves against enemies. Just because they can't get up and walk away or scream out doesn't mean they aren't alive. A rock is something that isn't alive.

Also we assume that just because humans work a certain way that there can't be another way for a proccess to work. I don't agree with that logic.

25. Regan21286

Regan21286 MCAT's, EMT's, AMCAS, ugh

Dec 3, 2007
    UCLA, CA
    Plants are alive in every sense. They're fully living beings.

26. finsgirlie

finsgirlie break my Luxury Box

Dec 2, 2007
    Fantasy Land
    dang, snippy :tongue2:

i don't know about the whole pain in plants thing, but someone mentioned the plants and music test. i did that as a science project in 6th grade and recently saw it done on mythbusters as well. the plants DID grow differently to different variables. was slightly interesting.

Celtkin likes this.
  27. Celtkin

Celtkin <B>Webmaster</b> Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    46.73° N, 117.00° W
    It wasn't meant to be that way. I was just in a hurry. :lol:

There is no doubt that plants respond to stimuli, but they do not feel pain. The pain response is thought to have evolved to give higher animals immediate feedback when they are in danger so that they can withdraw from the danger. The transmission of pain stimuli requires nerves to sense the danger and transmit it and a brain to interpret it. Plants have neither nor do they have a way to withdraw from the source of the stimuli.

28. finsgirlie

finsgirlie break my Luxury Box

Dec 2, 2007
    Fantasy Land
    don't need ta be so smart. just say "hey, you don't stick your hand on a hot stove twice do ya?, well a plant will!"

:lol:

Celtkin likes this.
  29. DrAstroZoom

DrAstroZoom Canary in a Coal Mine Luxury Box

Jan 8, 2008
    Springfield, Ill.
    Piggybacking on this ... I would say it is proper to say plants react, but they do not feel.

Celtkin likes this.
  30. opfinistic

opfinistic Braaaaains!

Dec 7, 2007
    So my first wife.....was a plant?

Celtkin and finsgirlie like this.
  31. DrAstroZoom

DrAstroZoom Canary in a Coal Mine Luxury Box

Jan 8, 2008
    Springfield, Ill.
    :rimshot: