1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Playbook, Overload Blitzes, Interior Oline, etc

Discussion in 'Other NFL' started by anlgp, Oct 29, 2009.

1. anlgp

anlgp ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

In the edition of Playbook that was just on they were talking about an overload blitz that Tony Romo faced from his left side.

What happened was the host believed that the back had set up wrong because he didn't help pick up the pressure up the middle, and more went outside to help the RT (there was a blitzer coming inside, and outside).

The interior of the Oline were left to pick up the pieces, and Romo pretty much got his *** handed to him because there wasn't enough help up the A gap.

They said that if the back had set up in the middle and helped pick up the inside rusher the QB could have at least rolled to the opposite direction that the blitz was coming from and thrown the ball in that direction.

It lead me to think about this. I remember last year thinking that there were at least two Centers that I knew about (Unger/Mack) that were pojected first rounders - or could be first rounders- and a few Guards (Levitre, Robinson I think) - that were said at least by some to be the best of their class, yet neither of them were picked in the first round.

I'm curious as to why interior Olinemen aren't considered by teams as other positions on the line, mainly RT, because I know the importance of protecting a QB's blindside and this segment really has me wondering...

Frumundah Finnatic likes this.
  2. GISH

GISH ~mUST wARN oTHERS~

Nov 23, 2007
    Over Yonder
    I think good QBs and offensive minded coaches welcome the blitz. Even without good protection. If you can recognize the blitz, then there is always someone left with either a great matchup or simply uncovered. It's usually only bad Qbs and coordinators that struggle with the blitz. That's because they arent prepared. Romo should have been able to complete a pass before he got touched, even if someone was coming free.
    Interior protection is important when they only send 3 or 4 guys. Last year against Baltimore in the playoffs, the ravens were getting through with a 3 man rush at times. Thats when you got problems.

3. anlgp

So why are G/C not drafted high?

4. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    This year we had two Centers go in the first round - Mack and Wood.

Since 1993, I believe 22 Guards and Centers total have been taken in the first round.

5. anlgp

Exactly, so why the low numbers?

6. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

1) Because they are less exposed, since there is a man on either side of them who can make up for any deficiencies or mistakes.

2) Because the elite pass rushers, and speed edge-rushers face the Left and Right Tackles... especially the Left Tackle. (Sometimes even need to get a piece of faster blitzers like OLBs, CBs!)

3) The Left Tackle is usually protecting the QB's blindside (for right-handed QB's). A risher coming from this side comes in unseen by the QB, leading to destructive blindside hits and catastrophic strip-sacks. When a rusher comes up the middle the QB sees them coming, which exposes them less to being hit unawares, injured, or being stripped of the ball.

Left Tackle is the most important, most expensive spot. Right Tackle is important too.

Guards and Centers matter, but less so than your bookends.

7. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Because of the reasons Bpk listed and because you can get one late and develop him how you want. To add, you are investing a lot of money into your interior OL if you take it with a first rounder and then you already have the outside locked up with big money.

It's not that low of a number IMO. One a year? Sometimes two. Not too bad.