Players pumped that offseason workouts worth the weight

21 replies

ATVZ400ATVZ400New MemberOP
Apr 13, 2008, 07:24 PM

Dolphins football operations boss Bill Parcells made it pretty clear at his introductory news conference he was none too thrilled about the previous efforts of former strength and conditioning coaches Matt Schiotz and Brad Ohrt.

Both were brought in by previous coach Cam Cameron and quickly were shown the door at the end of a season that featured 16 players on injured reserve.

Parcells was fixed on making an impact in the weight room, and that apparently is happening already in Davie under the supervision of new strength and conditioning gurus Evan Marcus and Dave Puloka.

Parcells wants the foundation of the Dolphins forged in the weight room.

Several Dolphins have commented that this is the most strenuous weight conditioning program they’ve encountered in the NFL or college. One player, who said he always considered himself a workout fiend, admitted he had no right to think that way until now.

But the program’s most inspirational aspect might not be the regimen set forth by Marcus and Puloka.

It appears to be Parcells, who has made it a habit to quietly roam the weight room on a regular basis, not saying much … just watching.

Parcells’ dreaded glare has created what many insist is a much-needed edginess.

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/blogs/content/shared-blogs/palmbeach/miamidolphins/entries/2008/04/13/players_pumped_that_offseason.html?cxntfid=blogs_inside_the_dolphins

emocomputerjockemocomputerjockNew Member
Apr 13, 2008, 07:34 PM

I guarantee this article to be 1000% factual - we saw the horrible results in both preseason and the first half of the regular season last year of Cam's lax conditioning programs. Parcells is not going to stand for his players being unable to compete in winnable games late because they didn't put in the sweat necessary to earn their paychecks.


Many thanks to the awesome staff and members of the site, all of whom contribute tirelessly to an incredible Dolphins fansite.

BuckeyeKingBuckeyeKingNew Member
Apr 13, 2008, 07:35 PM

Freaking awesome.

cnc66cnc66Luxury Box
Apr 13, 2008, 07:37 PM

"emocomputerjock wrote:

I guarantee this article to be 1000% factual - we saw the horrible results in both preseason and the first half of the regular season last year of Cam's lax conditioning programs. Parcells is not going to stand for his players being unable to compete in winnable games late because they didn't put in the sweat necessary to earn their paychecks.

:hi5: tell um emo !

brandon27brandon27Supporter
Apr 13, 2008, 07:43 PM

fantastic news! its about time we started making these guys earn their paychecks!!!


1972 Miami Dolphins-The ONLY undefeated team in NFL history!!!

emocomputerjockemocomputerjockNew Member
Apr 13, 2008, 07:43 PM

"cnc66 wrote:

:hi5: tell um emo !

You know it! Parcells has plenty of hallmarks - such as the "glare" mentioned in the article and his ability to motivate people. But another notable part of his legacy is that his players are tough as nails because they work for it. I went to the Redskins game last year and watched our team fall apart in the end because a) the Skins were smart enough to keep our defense moving and b) that was effective because our team was out of shape thanks to the offseason conditioning program. If that never happens again I'll be a happy man!


Many thanks to the awesome staff and members of the site, all of whom contribute tirelessly to an incredible Dolphins fansite.

jdang307jdang307Supporter
Apr 13, 2008, 08:47 PM

I love it. I can imagine Parcells roaming around the weight room just glarin at the players.

"Better put one more plate on you girlie man, I ain't done with cuts yet."

slickj101slickj101Forum Veteran
Apr 13, 2008, 08:49 PM

Thank God ! That's the best thing I've heard in a long time. Now Ronnie will have some company in there.

Silence

It's ******* Golden.

Sethdaddy8Sethdaddy8Forum Veteran
Apr 13, 2008, 08:51 PM

music to my eyes. im getting excited for the draft and training camp!!!

Fin-OmenalFin-OmenalNew Member
Apr 13, 2008, 09:00 PM

Vernon Gholston would fit in just fine! :up:

SuperselfSuperselfForum Veteran
Apr 14, 2008, 02:34 AM

"emocomputerjock wrote:

You know it! Parcells has plenty of hallmarks - such as the "glare" mentioned in the article and his ability to motivate people. But another notable part of his legacy is that his players are tough as nails because they work for it. I went to the Redskins game last year and watched our team fall apart in the end because a) the Skins were smart enough to keep our defense moving and b) that was effective because our team was out of shape thanks to the offseason conditioning program. If that never happens again I'll be a happy man!

Hey I was at that game too! It was so obvious during that game that Miami's conditioning was lacking. During commercial breaks, Miami players were winded and some were taking a knee, while the skins were jumping up and down looking refreshed. It was easy to notice.

GISHGISHForum Veteran
Apr 14, 2008, 03:26 AM

And where is Jason Taylor?

jdang307jdang307Supporter
Apr 14, 2008, 04:48 AM

Working his tail off. JT has never slacked in his life.

cnc66cnc66Luxury Box
Apr 14, 2008, 06:19 AM

"jdang307 wrote:

Working his tail off. JT has never slacked in his life.

excepting the first four or five games last year...

ATVZ400ATVZ400New Member
Apr 14, 2008, 09:34 AM

"Fin-Omenal wrote:

Vernon Gholston would fit in just fine! :up:

So would Jake Long ....:wink2:

gafinfangafinfanSupporter
Apr 14, 2008, 10:15 AM

"The more you sweat the less you bleed !"


This is the only thing I’ve learned: There’s only us. There’s no them. Despots and authoritarians need to make a “them” to have a straw man whom you are against. If you need to make an enemy of “them,” you’ve lost the spirit of us. - Ken Burns of PBS

54Fins54FinsForum Veteran
Apr 14, 2008, 10:24 AM

I like what was being said about Parcells and that the guys "know" he's there and he's watching them closely I'm sure.I also understand they had a pretty lax camp last year.

I just want to ask.How many of those injuries were due to not being conditioned enough?
Ronnie and Zack you can't help,and some of our safeties came down awkwardly on their legs.Freak injuries that happen in today's game,but seem to have hit "us" all last season.
Most of those injuries were bad luck IMHO,and conditioning and lifting weights would not have helped in those cases.

SICKSICKForum Veteran
Apr 14, 2008, 10:26 AM

Man i love to hear this. Bust these guys into gear, so they have NO excuses come game time....its just either they have the talent or not.....

it wont be because they were not prepared....Tuna wont let that happen!

emocomputerjockemocomputerjockNew Member
Apr 14, 2008, 10:27 AM

"54Fins wrote:

I like what was being said about Parcells and that the guys "know" he's there and he's watching them closely I'm sure.I also understand they had a pretty lax camp last year.

I just want to ask.How many of those injuries were due to not being conditioned enough?
Ronnie and Zack you can't help,and some of our safeties came down awkwardly on their legs.Freak injuries that happen in today's game,but seem to have hit "us" all last season.
Most of those injuries were bad luck IMHO,and conditioning and lifting weights would not have helped in those cases.

:) You gotta change your sig URL. :up:


Many thanks to the awesome staff and members of the site, all of whom contribute tirelessly to an incredible Dolphins fansite.

jdang307jdang307Supporter
Apr 14, 2008, 01:17 PM

"cnc66 wrote:

excepting the first four or five games last year...

To be fair, the whole defense slacked then ... or didn't slack but was ill prepared due to a certain someone who ran a club med and coincidentally indirectly slighted by this article ... :lol:

And after his first game, he was on pace for 16 sacks ...

Roman529Roman529New Member
Apr 14, 2008, 01:59 PM

I think we have been a very soft team for years. We need to get stronger and meaner.

SICKSICKForum Veteran
Apr 14, 2008, 02:02 PM

I want the old raiders mentality on defense......with finess offense....id like that