Players that impressed and those that didn't vs the Cowboys.
122 replies
"DePhinistr8 wrote:
Hmm...9 average plays with a nice popped run...sounds like the life of a running back to me. I'd say he did just fine.
Drawback on LJ is that he doesn't play special teams. If it comes to that, tough call between Lex and LJ because Lex can do so many things for you. Position flexability when you get into the guys on the bubble is HUGE.
Twitter @Silver_Hornet (follow me and I'll follow you, just let me know who you are on here!
"Samphin wrote:
Henne, Bush and Marshall didn't impress me at all. It was like they were invisible out there, and the stats sheet backs me up.
Another bash henne thread. SAme ol, same ol. Why doesn't henne throw more tds. Why doesn't henne have a better pocket prescence. Why doesn't henne start himself. The same ol arguments from you.
thanks to VO for the sick ass sigs. 

Charlie: If you're not as educated or as informed what you do is you start your own party and you yell the loudest.
"Paul 13 wrote:
Drawback on LJ is that he doesn't play special teams. If it comes to that, tough call between Lex and LJ because Lex can do so many things for you. Position flexability when you get into the guys on the bubble is HUGE.
It wouldn't shock me at all if Polite was axed and we saw Lexy as a full time FB. I don't actually think that will happen, but it wouldn't shock me. Then you have Bush, Thomas, and LJ...which, if they stay healthy, could be a decent set of backs.
"Paul 13 wrote:
Drawback on LJ is that he doesn't play special teams. If it comes to that, tough call between Lex and LJ because Lex can do so many things for you. Position flexability when you get into the guys on the bubble is HUGE.
Nice run down again Paul, and agree on all. I think LJ is competing more with Polite's roster spot than Hilliard's. I believe we keep Clay and Lex, along with LJ, as for now.
I also some some good things from "Starvin Marvin" Mitchell at LB. He's a ST's stud, and good depth with flexability at LB.
"unluckyluciano wrote:
Another bash henne thread. SAme ol, same ol. Why doesn't henne throw more tds. Why doesn't henne have a better pocket prescence. Why doesn't henne start himself. The same ol arguments from you.
Could you imagine if Moore is running onto the field, and then Henne jogs on the field and gets into the huddle also.....
Moore: ok guys (cut off by henne)
Henne: ok guys, Z right, 35 belly on 2......(cut off by moore)
Moore: (louder) y left, 48 toss right on 1....
Henne: (yelling over moore) READY...BREAK....ok guys come on....*runs towards line of scrimmage with no one following*
Co-Host of the Welcome to Perfectville Podcast

"SICK wrote:
Could you imagine if Moore is running onto the field, and then Henne jogs on the field and gets into the huddle also.....
Moore: ok guys (cut off by henne)
Henne: ok guys, Z right, 35 belly on 2......(cut off by moore)
Moore: (louder) y left, 48 toss right on 1....
Henne: (yelling over moore) READY...BREAK....ok guys come on....*runs towards line of scrimmage with no one following*
Moores eyes fill up with tears and he runs off crying yelling out "What the **** Chad"
thanks to VO for the sick ass sigs. 

Charlie: If you're not as educated or as informed what you do is you start your own party and you yell the loudest.
Sounds like Phil Livas finally got a chance to show something as a receiver, which I'd been hoping for since Week 1 of the preseason. I think he needs to make the team.
Pat Devlin though...I don't know. I have a tough time believing he wouldn't make it through waivers to the practice squad.
I'll have to make sure I watch the game as it seems like Quinton Spears did some good work. He's one I would want to see make the team.
Twitter: @ckparrot
3 Yards Per Carry Podcast - Featuring Boomer, Section126, and ckparrothead
threeyardspercarry.podbean.com
I'll have to take a second look at Frank Kearse. He and Ronald Fields are in direct competition for me and I like Fields better as of right now.
Twitter: @ckparrot
3 Yards Per Carry Podcast - Featuring Boomer, Section126, and ckparrothead
threeyardspercarry.podbean.com
One person I thought is very hit or miss is Wilson, there were some plays throughout preseason where he was out of position or just got beaten like a drum. Then again, he plays with fire and hopefully they were just rookie mistakes.
I think last night made it harder to make the final calls when it comes to cuts.
Tonight, I am riding
As long as I am riding I know that I am alive
As long as I, keep on riding
I know that someday I will finally find my way back home
Until them I roam
So no one was impressed by the QB Moore?
Matt Moore had some great stats in the game. If you look at all the QBs in the offense they've all had great stats this preseason which speaks really well to Brian Daboll's offense...so far.
It's interesting looking at who played and who didn't. There were 23 players that never hit the field. Most of them were starters but some were not. Jason Taylor, for instance, never played. Koa Misi did. On the offensive line, six guys didn't play. The were the starting five, but the sixth? Lydon Murtha. Anthony Fasano didn't play, nor Lou Polite...but you know who else didn't? Charles Clay. Brandon Marshall and Davone Bess didn't play, but Brian Hartline did. Just some interesting things to take note of, I particularly found the fact that Murtha sat out to be interesting as I wonder if they really are considering him an option at RT with Jake Long back, if Colombo still isn't cutting it.
Twitter: @ckparrot
3 Yards Per Carry Podcast - Featuring Boomer, Section126, and ckparrothead
threeyardspercarry.podbean.com
This system seems very QB friendly...hopefully it lasts all season.
"DePhinistr8 wrote:
Hehehe..
Just wait, I'm sure someone will be in with something Henne did wrong while standing on the sideline.
"he didn't look poised over there"
"he could've listened to this playcall in his helmet but he didn't"
"i don't think he shaved today!"
Aren't the Fins a sponsor for Tobacco Free Florida? So why is Henne chewing a dip? SMH...
"arsenal wrote:
i just think Gates is gonna have a lot of big plays for us this year... he is so fast its ridiculous... you watch that replay from his catch, the CB tried his hardest but couldn't even get a hand on him...
http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/09000d5d821e3c43/Gates-42-yard-catchas his route running develops i can see even more of the big play potential out of him... i wouldn't be surprised if he supplants Hartline as the starting WR opposite Marshall going into next season...
In addition to that, he also cleared the entire sideline out for Hartline to make a couple decent catches from the slot early in the game. Teams seem to know about his speed at this point, so even if he doesn't put up big numbers he's going to create space for our other WRs to work.
"ckparrothead wrote:
Matt Moore had some great stats in the game. If you look at all the QBs in the offense they've all had great stats this preseason which speaks really well to Brian Daboll's offense...so far.
It's interesting looking at who played and who didn't. There were 23 players that never hit the field. Most of them were starters but some were not. Jason Taylor, for instance, never played. Koa Misi did. On the offensive line, six guys didn't play. The were the starting five, but the sixth? Lydon Murtha. Anthony Fasano didn't play, nor Lou Polite...but you know who else didn't? Charles Clay. Brandon Marshall and Davone Bess didn't play, but Brian Hartline did. Just some interesting things to take note of, I particularly found the fact that Murtha sat out to be interesting as I wonder if they really are considering him an option at RT with Jake Long back, if Colombo still isn't cutting it.
Not much to it, Murtha and Clay are nursing injuries. They haven't practiced since last week. If Columbo struggles then I definitely think we'll give Murtha a long look at RT. I think Sparano prefers Columbo b/c of his physicality but if Henne's getting beat up then he may not have much of a choice.
What I find interesting is Moore. It seems most of us like what we've seen from him, but if you read the media, particularly the Herald, Sentinel and PBP, they all have a less opinion of him making the team, that he hasn't shown enough ?? Of course they say the same about Livas as well, that he won't make the team even tho his return ability is special...
Don't know what to think about Moore tho....
Also, does anyone else feel the way I do about Johnson. While he hasn't made anyone believe he's still the guy from 3 yrs ago, I think I'd feel a lot better about a triumvirate of Bush, Thomas and LJ over anyone else we have, even tho we kind of know what we get with Sexy Lexy. Maybe it's a deep rooted concern that we're expecting too much from Bush as a featured back or something, but I'd just feel better with a group that includes LJ for some reason..??
"ckparrothead wrote:
Sounds like Phil Livas finally got a chance to show something as a receiver, which I'd been hoping for since Week 1 of the preseason. I think he needs to make the team.
Pat Devlin though...I don't know. I have a tough time believing he wouldn't make it through waivers to the practice squad.
I'll have to make sure I watch the game as it seems like Quinton Spears did some good work. He's one I would want to see make the team.
You have to wait until well into the 3rd quarter, if not the 4th to get a good look at Spears. Powers that be decided they wanted to see Trusnik and Francis for the majority of the game. I wasn't in agreement with that.
Twitter @Silver_Hornet (follow me and I'll follow you, just let me know who you are on here!
"xphinfanx wrote:
Gates outran his coverage so bad he had to slow down a bit to catch the ball.
Fact: Gates has to slow down just to be seen by the naked eye.
Headcoach material wouldn’t want to work somewhere they’re not trusted with actual football decisions.
"5thAmendment wrote:
Aren't the Fins a sponsor for Tobacco Free Florida? So why is Henne chewing a dip? SMH...
Because he's a grown man, and he dips.......?
Co-Host of the Welcome to Perfectville Podcast

"Paul 13 wrote:
You have to wait until well into the 3rd quarter, if not the 4th to get a good look at Spears. Powers that be decided they wanted to see Trusnik and Francis for the majority of the game. I wasn't in agreement with that.
Well the powers that be have also let guys like Anthony Armstrong, Erik Walden, Rob Ninkovich and Matt Roth go off to other teams and look better than guys that play here currently...so, I mean...so much for the powers that be.
Twitter: @ckparrot
3 Yards Per Carry Podcast - Featuring Boomer, Section126, and ckparrothead
threeyardspercarry.podbean.com
"SICK wrote:
Because he's a grown man, and he dips.......?
He puts his hands upon his hips, when he dips, you dip, he dips?
I hadn't heard about Murtha and Clay sporting injuries.
Twitter: @ckparrot
3 Yards Per Carry Podcast - Featuring Boomer, Section126, and ckparrothead
threeyardspercarry.podbean.com
"ckparrothead wrote:
I hadn't heard about Murtha and Clay sporting injuries.
Clay has a hammy injury and I do not believe Murtha practiced all week.
Holland is a huge upgrade over McCain
I want to be alive, I am alive! Alive, I tell you! Mother, I love you, those are no longer just words. I want to hold you, I want to run in a stream, I want to taste ice cream but not just put it in my mouth and let it slide down my throat but really eat it. - Robot Morty
"PHINANALYST wrote:
MrC ... Kopa is very inexperienced -- if i remember right he switched to the OL late in college .... so he has a ways to go, but if he is showing signs that is a positive. i thought he'd be destined for the PS, but it's hard to say - since i think we poached him late ast year from a PS. i think Jerry for sure and even Berger will be cut. Feinga is questionable, but Murtha and Garner are keepers .... which still gives us flexibility for additions post cuts. Feinga showing well should make Pads happy.
i think Spears is more like a young JT .... i don't see him as a young Wake, like Wallace and Moore last year -- don't see us letting him go thru waivers. the choice is do you keep 9 LBers .... if so, choice is between Trusnik and IKE for the last spot. Freeny probably goes to the PS
Mastrud probably secured his making the team with the TD .... still need to improve the position like CK has intimated though
Talked about Hartline during the offseason and got blasted -- gotta love the blue collar worker ... but preseason performance of Gates, Moore and Wallace ... not to mention Livas puts him in a tough spot. Moore has come around much better than i thought he would.
Will be interesting to see what happens with Hartline, Merling and Allen .... certainly wouldn't 'cut' any of them - so can only assume Ireland will be working the phones hard over the next 24 hours. We still need one more OL for the right side (G or T) and i think we can plug the other from within
I'm not excited about LJ ..... would think we can do better post cuts
i wouldn't keep Sapp .... unless you trade Allen - otherwise i'd stick with Carroll. Restelli, i'd put on the PS and make a decision between Alexander and Culver
Edds was always around the ball - but just like when we drafted him .... i thought he needed to get stronger - still does
the challenge is how to balance the guys that still need that year to be solid contributors vs keeping average guys for depth.
overall, our roster is still 'up and coming' ... and we are very close to where we need to be less the OL, RB and TE .....
Good point about Kopa. Switched from DL before junior season and only 7 starts on the OL in his college career and just 1 in 1 game as a senior, then missed the rest of the season with a foot.
I figure we keep 9 LBs, 7 DL and 9 DBs, being a 3-4 team. To keep Spears, we need to cut one of Trusnik, Ike, or Mitchell. Trusnik can and has played both inside and outside, at least in Cleveland, and with his position versatility and good on STs, he should make it, and of the other two, I prefer Ike, but it could go either way.
“... I hope I never ridicule what is wise or good. Follies and nonsense, whims and inconsistencies do divert me, I own, and I laugh at them whenever I can.”
― Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice
"Paul 13 wrote:
I don't know, if it comes down to keeping Lex Hilliard (if LJ makes it) vs Trusnik, who do you keep? I think Hilliard does alot more for you besides special teams. He was playing full back last night (or Clay's Hback position). I know Sparano gave him an ear full there but I just haven't seen anything from Trusnik at that OLB spot. If it comes down to Trusnik vs Spears, I know which guy I want on my 53.
He certainly did hit on both 7th rounders (plus Livas and Spears as UDFA and possibly Devlin too). I've liked Kearse all preseason. Guy is quick off the ball and gets incredible push. In last night's game I believe they were rotating Fields and Kearse during the same drives and there was one play that the NT got incredible penetration that I was sure it was Kearse only to find out it was Fields. That's a tough call between the two of them. I say we find a way to keep both. :wink2:
I have all 3 making my final guesstimate of the 53. Hilliard one of the 5 RB/FBs and Spears and Trusnik both included in the 9 LBs.
We may feel Kearse can make it to the PS, then again maybe his upside is too much to risk waiving, which is what I am hoping they are thinking with Livas and Spears.
“... I hope I never ridicule what is wise or good. Follies and nonsense, whims and inconsistencies do divert me, I own, and I laugh at them whenever I can.”
― Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice