1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Playoff Hunger

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Dolphins1Beatles, May 16, 2010.

Tags:
  1. Dolphins1Beatles

Dolphins1Beatles Ziggy Stardust

Oct 9, 2009
    New York
    What is your level of "Playoff Win Hunger"? With the 2010 season it will be 10 years since the dolphins won a playoff game.

For us younger Dolphin fans, there haven't been too many. I became a fan when I was pretty young, like 7 years old. So The Dolphins did win a bunch of playoff games from 1995-1999 but I don't recall watching any. Most kids aren't concerned with watching professional sports on TV. I pretty much watched the major sporting events-super bowl, olympics, yankees world series, 99 womens world cup. [It was also hard to figure out the schedule since I live in NY and didnt get many regular season dolphin games]. Oh and why would a 7 year old New Yorker become a Dolphins fan? -Marino, Ace Ventura, and the mascot.

The first playoff game I watched was the 2000 game against the Colts, and I still remember that final Lamar Smith game winning TD. I'm glad I saw it, but nearly 10 years later I might go crazy if we dont win a playoff game this year. After seeing us get blown out by the Raiders, the Ravens, then the Ravens again[Not to mention watching the 2002 and 2003 and I guess 2009 late season meltdowns], I NEED to see a playoff win. seriously. Like a Saints fan circa 2005. I have a feeling it's coming...please be this year! I will kiss the bottom of all of my shoes.

Anyone have a most memorable playoff game? Mine is obviously the OT win over the Colts.

CaribPhin and HULKFish like this.
  2. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    for some reason i can only remember the dissapointments...me hungry too...

Its funny, ive been a diehard fan that grew up in upstate new york, over 30 years of being a fan {dolphin in the pool in the orange bowl is what got me, and some footie dolphin Jammies} but I can honestly say, we never had the team that I craved us to be....power running team with a stifling ray lewis type defense. I was'nt old enough for the Zonk, warfield, griese, defense years.

3. Roman529

Roman529 Senior Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Colorado Springs, CO
    I still remember the SB winning years but that was about 36 years ago when I was 8 years old. The Marino years are what I remember most. I was a junior in high school when we drafted him and I just wish he would have been able to win one. I think Denver has only had one playoff win in the past decade, and Dallas has gone even longer without winning a playoff game (1996) so we are in good company. I think we are heading in the right direction.

NJFINSFAN1 likes this.
  4. pennphinfan

pennphinfan Stelin Canez Arcade Scorz

Dec 13, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Yup, growing up in central PA I was destined to become a Steelers or Iggles fan, but I managed to come out of it loving the fins. Most likely due to, as OP stated, marino, and his presence in movies like Ace Ventura haha- but whatever my reasons, I love me some fins, and have all my life, and i am indeed vurrrry Hungry for a playoff run. Hopefully this year we get it done

5. FinFan316

FinFan316 Banned

Apr 3, 2010
    Didn't Dallas beat GB this year? I don't remember, seems like it.

6. FinFan316

FinFan316 Banned

Apr 3, 2010
    If we dont' win a playoff game this year, heads are going to roll. We spent alot of money to improve this team...we are expected to be much better. I can't imagine that Stephen Ross will be okay with winning 9 games and missing a wildcard berth or winning 11 and losing in the first round. Too many teams have turned it around far quicker than this. I think, I am Ross, I am expecting 11 wins. Anything less and i would want answers. The talent, IMO, is here. We won 18 games the last two years without good WRs and few playmakers on defense. The rookies from two years ago have had a chance to mature, the kids from last year have a year under their belts and we brought in the highest paid ILB in history. If not now, when?

Armando brought up an intersting point in another thread. Hes right. This team is poised to not only make the playoffs, but make a run in the playoffs. Besides the Colts (who are not a perfect team) there isnt IMO a team built to win more than we are. Now we have to get them coached up. Nolan will fix the defense, no doubts. Offense was good, should be MUCH better now with the improved Oline, Henne's and Hartline's experience and Brandon Marshall. No weakness at all.

7. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    heads are gonna roll if we dont win a playoff game?.... I disagree with your perspective and expectations.

qb in his 15th start..

3rd youngest team in the league..

3rd year removed from 1 and 15..

ascension in play is important, a playoff victory does not seem logical or objective to me in terms of preseason expectations imo....

If you said this in 2011, I would agree, one year to early.

8. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

I was 8 during the 2000 NFL season. I've never watched the Dolphins win a Playoff game. I want one. I've been a fan for as long as I can remember but I started watching full seasons in 2007 (Quite possibly the worst year to start watching Dolphins Football). I really want to watch us win a Playoff Game. I think you guys have more right to a win than me though.

9. frozenfin

frozenfin Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2010
    Wisconsin
    And before that were even bigger blowouts from the 98 Broncos and 99 Jaguars.

The first playoff games I saw were 1994... win over Chiefs with Marino vs Montana at home, then next week a terrible heart-breaker against the Chargers. Even with all the embarassing playoff losses, the Charger game is the most painful, I was 10 years old and sooooo pissed off! Still pissed off thinking about it to this day, blah!

We need a playoff win bad!!! Let's go Dolphins, smash some mouths!

10. Dolphins1Beatles

Dolphins1Beatles Ziggy Stardust

Oct 9, 2009
    New York
    I dont remember if I watched the 98 & 99 losses...thankfully.

Well I don't think heads will roll if we dont win a playoff game this year, there will be rumblings if they fail to make it there. The Dolphins have the highest payroll in the NFL after making some big signings. Plus, they got the Defensive turnaround expert Mike Nolan. The Jets made the AFC Championship game last year, and they were in just as bad a shape as we were in 2007. They won 4 games, 2 against us. And they were still in worse shape then us after 2008, when the Favre experiment failed.

We should be equally capable of making a playoff run as the Jets and Patriots, and I really think it comes down to injuries and luck, because the talent and coaching is certainly there.

Personally, I'll be disappointed if we don't win a playoff game because we are capable of challenging any team in the NFL as seen last season, however I won't lose any hope or anything, because I will have Super Bowl expecations for 2011. Of course I want them to win this year like every year, but it's not an expectation. I'll be happy overall if they make it to the divisional round or AFC Championship. [Though if they work hard and stay healthy like in 2008, they definitely have potential to make the SB in 2010...don't get your hopes too high though]

11. Fin

Fin New Member

Mar 5, 2010
    Orlando
    I became a fan in the offseason before the 1-15 season so the sky is the limit for me! LOL!

12. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    The playoff win against the Colts ruled!

I also got to see Miami beat the Seahawks in the playoffs in the Kingdome. That was an amazing experience.

13. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    the Big Tuna & his Pod:

the Front Office has developed a culture of resolution & toughness
    bordering mental & physical brutality in training camp as well as on the playing field
    there has been established over the past two years a premium on preparation,
    physicality & sacrifice, transforming the Miami Dolphins into a franchise of Gladiators

Miami simply does not lose, they must be physically beaten on the field
    & this has become increasingly difficult w/ each game, w/every year that passes
    teams no longer want to play us. win or lose, we inflict too much damage
    we've gone from Flipper to KillerWhales & the cat is out of the bag
    the NFL is still uncomfortable w/ the concept of the Orca, the Gladiator, the new physical imposition
    they're all still hoping that Flipper shows up for the game & the Orcas don't eat them alive

I believe it is time to dominate not only the physical & psychological aspects
    but the technical end of the game & it appears we are ready to do exactly that in 2010

we will contend in 2010!

14. Starry31

Starry31 Phins and Heels.

Dec 8, 2009
    North Carolina
    I was born in 1985 and became a fan around 8 or so, maybe little younger, and watched pretty much every game on TV since. I can't remember every playoff game from back then, but I do remember the Buffalo loss and the Jaguars one was rough. I just remember feeling so bad for Marino. Some recent season highlights have been Feeley on that comeback drive against New England (yay 4-12) and yelling at my TV for Camarillo to run (woo 1-15) so I'm not going cry if we only make the playoffs. I am hoping for a win or two and think we will have underperformed if we miss the playoffs though, barring any key injuries.