1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Playoff picture (as of right now)

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by mroz, Nov 22, 2009.

1. mroz

mroz Fix the OL Club Member

Oct 26, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    Pats, Colts, Chargers and Bengals are all leading their divisions.

Pittsburgh, Jacksonville and Denver are each sitting at 6-4 which puts them in the lead for the two wildcard spots. I am not sure who the top two would be but I think it would be Jax and Denver based on Conference record.

Houston has yet to play this week so they will either join the 6-4 teams or fall back to our group at 5-5.

Sitting one game out of the wildcard hunt are the Ravens along with us. They have a better Conference record at 5-4 vs. our 3-3.

Four of our last 6 games are against teams that are ahead of us. We can catch Pittsburgh, Jax and Houston just by beating them.

What it comes down (IMO) to is tha we are going to make the playoffs as long as we take care of our own business.

dolfan7171 and Rocky Raccoon like this.
  2. 2k5

2k5 I miss Ted Ginn Jr.

Nov 28, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    It's going to be though, we play a lot of solid teams the next six weeks.

3. mroz

mroz Fix the OL Club Member

Oct 26, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    Yeah, we are going to have to earn our way into the playoffs. To be frank I will be surprised if we make it just cause I think this years version of the Fins is missing something. Having said that, I am not going to be shocked if we make some noise over the next 6 weeks.

4. RoninFin4

RoninFin4 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    According to NFL.com - and I haven't checked any tiebreaker scenarios. It looks like this: http://www.nfl.com/standings?category=conf&season=2009-REG&split=Overall

1. Indianapolis
    2. Cincinnati
    3. San Diego
    4. New England
    5. Jacksonville
    6. Pittsburgh

With the teams still in the hunt:

7. Denver
    8. Houston
    9. Baltimore
    10. Miami

Just looking at it quickly, it's very alaraming the number of points we've surrendered this year. I also like the fact that Miami can sort of determine its own destiny with several teams ahead of them left on the slate: New England, Jacksonville, Houston, and Pittsburgh.

If we can win against the Bills and the Saints beat New England (on Monday Night so it'll be a short week for New England) the rematch could give us a share of first place of the AFC East with 4 games to play.

dolfan7171 likes this.
  5. Shamboubou

Shamboubou Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I used to look at it this way as well, when we were a bad team. Now I feel they have to play us. We are just as big as a threat as any team in the NFL right now. When we play good, we are one of the best teams in the NFL.

6. High Definition

High Definition No Smoke / No Drink 2011+

Nov 26, 2007
    South Beach
    Interesting thing is, we play three of those football teams. Two at home.

Let's do it, Miami!

dolfan7171 likes this.
  7. Dolphins1Beatles

Dolphins1Beatles Ziggy Stardust

Oct 9, 2009
    New York
    We pretty much play all four at home. Steelers, Texans and Pats are at home, and the other is in Jacksonville. I'm going to assume there will be more Dolphins fans at that game.

8. muscle979

muscle979 Season Ticket Holder

Dec 12, 2007
    Evans, GA
    Division record is ahead of conference record as a tiebreaker. We have a better division record than Baltimore.

9. TiP54

TiP54 Bad Reputation

Nov 25, 2007
    Live from the Internet.
    The season is what we will make it out to be.
    We gotta do what we gotta do.
    Its up to us, not anybody else if we make it to the playoffs.
    We make it, awesome. We did it, hopefully past the 1st round.
    We don't, then hey, we have no business being there in first place then.

dolfan7171 likes this.
  10. GISH

GISH ~mUST wARN oTHERS~

Nov 23, 2007
    Over Yonder
    division record only matters within the division. baltimore isnt in our division, so it doesnt matter.

mroz likes this.
  11. The Aqua Crush

The Aqua Crush New Member

Jun 15, 2008
    Calgary Alberta Canada
    It's starting to shape up, let's beat Buff next week and see if NO can take care of the pats. I think they can.

THe outlook will look drastically different.

I still think that game at home vs. the pats will be the big factor on whether we make the playoffs or not.

12. His'nBeatYour'n

His'nBeatYour'n Glass Ceiling Repairman

Dec 10, 2007
    New York
    Bottom line is that with 6 weeks to play, the Dolpins control their own destiny. Win the last 6 and they will make the playoffs. Can't ask for more than that.

Big Red likes this.
  13. GISH

GISH ~mUST wARN oTHERS~

Nov 23, 2007
    Over Yonder
  14. CANEPHINS

CANEPHINS No Tats & Dreads Allowed

Jan 4, 2009
    Savannah, GA
  15. wpgfishfan

wpgfishfan Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Winnipeg, Manitoba
  16. xphinfanx

xphinfanx Stay strong my friends.

Nov 1, 2009
    The few teams we have allowed fewer points than. 5 of them,its not a good group.
    Hate to say it but no matter what our offence does our def is not up for it.
    Dolphins-244
    Browns-263
    Titans-255
    Lions-301
    Buccaneers-294
    Rams-270

adamprez2003 likes this.
  17. Jaj

Jaj Registered

Mar 23, 2008
    Los Angeles
    What's terrible is that last year there were no pessimists in this group hoping for the playoffs. This year it's just been...

Our defense hasn't given up nearly the walloping it had early in the year. Our safety and CB play is rounding into form just as it did last year. Sure we lost Ferguson but we have a couple guys who can manage to slow things down. Our 3-4 DEs aren't typical one-gap guys, they're two gappers. Starks and McDaniel will backup Soliai well.

As for the LBs they're better than last year, although Crowder needs to pick it up.

It's really just about winning this week and then beating New England. After that we've got a shot.

18. KeyFin

KeyFin Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    You have to look at both sides of the coin though. Miami has a few tough games left that should be up for grabs with Henne improving each week and the defense trying to pull it together. New England has a very tough schedule down the stretch and if we beat them we would own the tiebreaker by sweeping the Jets and the Bills (which I'm predicting next Sunday).

If we finish out 5-1, a repeat AFC East title is not unrealistic.

19. VanDolPhan

VanDolPhan Club member Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Hamilton, Ontario Canada
    Playoffs?.......PLAYOFFS? How about we just beat a team with a winning record first. Then talking playoffs is feasable. Until then this is the team with a defense that is giving up points with the worst the league has to offer and doesn't have a single win against a winning opponent.

krypto likes this.
  20. dolphans1

dolphans1 New Member

Oct 15, 2008
    We are going to have to run the table and win every game straight on out, in order to make it.

I am amazed how the Patriots just keep winning and you know what they're going to do, and yet no one can stop them.

I always felt the best way to make the playoffs is to win our division and that is a long shot.

d-1

21. shaunm000

shaunm000 Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Oviedo
    As much as i think we should be 7-3 instead of 5-5. Im still happy with how this team has fought back. With the injuries weve had and the brutal schedule, this is still good to see. I think a lot has to happen for us to make it, but you never know!

adamprez2003 and dolfan7171 like this.
  22. Nappy Roots

Nappy Roots Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Bradenton,FL
    Forget the whole picture, take care of our division and take it that way. Beat bills and pats and win division. That's the only way I see us getting in. And we can do it, Bills aren't great and Pats game is in Miami. Let's go out and win the AFC East for the 2nd year in a row! We ride!!

adamprez2003 and dolfan7171 like this.
  23. Roman529

Roman529 Senior Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Colorado Springs, CO
    I think we have to go 5-1.....we can probably afford a loss to the Patriots, but we have to beat everyone else. I think we can win all 6 games if we stay focused. The Pats and Steelers have to play in Miami, and the rest are all winnable.

24. Big Red

Big Red Long Lasting Freshness

Oct 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    If the Dolphins win out we would be 11-5 and guaranteed a spot in the playoffs as a Wild Card and possibly as the AFC East champs. The only way we wouldn't win our division in that scenario is if the Pats go 12-4.

If we go 10-6 the playoffs are still likely but to win the division we would need to list the Bills and Pats among our victories. And we would need the Pats to lose three games. They play at New Orleans this week. That's a potential loss. Then they play us. That's a must-win. Then they play the Panthers, Bills, Jags, and Texans. I would say that a 12-4 finish for the Pats would be difficult, 11-5 is likely, 10-6 is possible, and 9-7 is not likely.
    If we go 9-7 the playoffs are still possible. The scenarios are endless but most of them would probably include winning our last two games against the Texans and the Steelers.

25. adamprez2003

adamprez2003 Senior Member

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    thats the real problem this year. although the offense picked up once henne started, the defense is still of the swiss cheese variety. its bending for 3 quarters and breaking in the 4th. whether we make the playoffs or not, we're not that good a team though we do have heart and guts and you end up rooting for this team regardless.

26. Big Red

Big Red Long Lasting Freshness

Oct 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    Very true. However you also have to consider the offenses we faced. The Falcons, Colts, Chargers, Saints, and Pats.

Top Ten Offenses in the NFL by total points
    1. New Orleans Saints
    2. Minnesota Vikings
    3. New England Patriots
    4. Indianapolis Colts
    5. San Diego Chargers

6. New York Giants
    7. Philadelphia Eagles
    8. Green Bay Packers
    9. Atlanta Falcons
    10. Arizona Cardinals

Over the course of ten weeks we played five of the best offenses in the league. Now look at our remaining schedule.

@Buffalo
    New England
    @Jacksonville
    @Tennessee
    Houston
    Pittsburgh

I like our chances.

We should beat Buffalo. If we don't then there's no need to even have this discussion. Then the re-match against the Pats favors us. We're at home, there's no grudge factor, and its very difficult to sweep a division opponent. After that we face a couple offenses that are not elite. The Texans will give us a hard time but now we have Sean Smith and Vontae Davis to cover Andre Johnson. We haven't had that in years past. Plus we won't have to worry about Owen Daniels. Finally we have the Steelers. Luckily we're at home that's about all you can say about that game.

I would also say that if we win our next five that Steelers game will look a whole lot different to just about everybody.

adamprez2003 likes this.
  27. adamprez2003

adamprez2003 Senior Member

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    very good point about the offenses we faced and clearly we are getting slightly better each game on defense as the rooks gain experience. i agree that if we lose to the bills this discussion is pointless. also agree that we should beat pats. I would argue that I dont even want to make the playoffs if we get swept by the Patriots. If we cant beat them once we dont deserve the playoffs. Now after we beat them the games that worry me the most are the Texans and Titans. Although you cant look past the Steelers, they seem to have fallen back to their typical average vanilla team following a SB, nothing special

Big Red likes this.