Playoff QBs
71 replies
Today was the first day I saw good play at quarterback. Matt Stafford did a pretty good job at quarterback. Both Mahomes and Allen are keeping their teams in the games.
The rest were either O.K. to terrible. Jimmy G tried to throw the game away but failed miserably. Burrow did alright but took way too many sacks that knocked them out of field goal range. Rogers couldn't overcome the elements and the receivers thought the ball had covid because they were not trying to catch the ball. Brady was alright but only was able to mount a comeback due to the defense.
This weekend was mostly defense and special teams. Showed how important it is to have good overall teams. People give way too much credit to the quarterback for team wins.
Holland is a huge upgrade over McCain
I want to be alive, I am alive! Alive, I tell you! Mother, I love you, those are no longer just words. I want to hold you, I want to run in a stream, I want to taste ice cream but not just put it in my mouth and let it slide down my throat but really eat it. - Robot Morty
"cbrad wrote:
Tannehill was not "good". He was arguably the primary reason the Titans are no longer in the playoffs. 3 INTs (2 of which were primarily Tannehill's fault) and 1 missed TD to a wide open receiver when you have the best RB in the game and 2 top WRs and a great defense and only need to be a game manager really shows you how he's limiting the Titans' playoff chances. He has no excuses this year.
You know what's interesting? About half the posters at multiple Titans message boards are saying the exact same thing. Many are done with Tannehill and saying the Titans won't ever win a SB with Tannehill. It's finally setting in. There's also the realization that his cap hit is so high next year that they're stuck with him for 2022 lol.
I didn't watch the game, but wasn't one ball tipped and one ball go off his receiver's hands?
"resnor wrote:
I didn't watch the game, but wasn't one ball tipped and one ball go off his receiver's hands?
The one that went off the receiver's hands wasn't his fault. The first INT was his fault as he threw it too late and in the wrong place (first play of game). The 2nd INT, the one that was tipped, was 100% Tannehill's fault because that defender was completely unblocked and running right into the passing lane. It's the QB's job to see that and adjust his throwing trajectory.
Here's that 2nd INT that was tipped:
Oh my god what a play.
I just don't get how these quarterbacks get to scramble around all day with no penalties.
If Daboll says he will bring Dorsey along, do it and hope that will set Allen and the Bills back a bit. :crapstrom:
That was a phenomenal drive. Let's see if Mahomes can match it.
"TheHighExhaulted wrote:
I just don't get how these quarterbacks get to scramble around all day with no penalties.
The refs are too mesmerized by their scrambling ability
Holland is a huge upgrade over McCain
I want to be alive, I am alive! Alive, I tell you! Mother, I love you, those are no longer just words. I want to hold you, I want to run in a stream, I want to taste ice cream but not just put it in my mouth and let it slide down my throat but really eat it. - Robot Morty
HOLY JEEBUS THIS GAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Damn he was even held there too!
"texanphinatic wrote:
If Daboll says he will bring Dorsey along, do it and hope that will set Allen and the Bills back a bit. :crapstrom:
That was a phenomenal drive. Let's see if Mahomes can match it.
The bills offense is all Josh Allen, Daboll is not some great coach, he just lucked in to a phenomenal talent...
"hitman8 wrote:
The bills offense is all Josh Allen, Daboll is not some great coach, he just lucked in to a phenomenal talent...
Both he and Mahomes are incredible, but these plays and calls are allowing them to shine. Let's not forget that Allen was not a finished product either, he was super raw. We aren't talking about a guy who inherited Aaron Rogers a decade into his career.
And good lord, what the hell just happened!?!??!
"texanphinatic wrote:
Both he and Mahomes are incredible, but these plays and calls are allowing them to shine. Let's not forget that Allen was not a finished product either, he was super raw. We aren't talking about a guy who inherited Aaron Rogers a decade into his career.
And good lord, what the hell just happened!?!??!
Any decent coach could have developed Josh Allen, there was so much to work with, and if Daboll leaves Allen won't miss a beat.
"texanphinatic wrote:
Both he and Mahomes are incredible, but these plays and calls are allowing them to shine. Let's not forget that Allen was not a finished product either, he was super raw. We aren't talking about a guy who inherited Aaron Rogers a decade into his career.
And good lord, what the hell just happened!?!??!
Yeah, Allen came out with the same talk of NFL readiness that Daniel Jones had when he was drafted. He was projected to have a sky high ceiling but nobody thought he'd be this good. Same for Mahomes. If anybody saw it coming, they would have been drafted first when they entered the league.
"hitman8 wrote:
Any decent coach could have developed Josh Allen, there was so much to work with, and if Daboll leaves Allen won't miss a beat.
Talented but raw guys fail to develop all the time. Maybe you're right, but maybe not. I wouldn't complain about him being the hire though.
And this game is NOT done. Omg.
This game is utter madness!!!

“The person you will spend the most time with in your life is yourself, so you better make sure you’re someone interesting”
This game is crazy. Maalox is going to fly off the shelves in one of these two cities tonight.
It's hard to believe they're playing the same sport that we saw played in Hard Rock this season.
"texanphinatic wrote:
Both he and Mahomes are incredible, but these plays and calls are allowing them to shine. Let's not forget that Allen was not a finished product either, he was super raw. We aren't talking about a guy who inherited Aaron Rogers a decade into his career.
Wait.. you're talking about Philbin? Don't forget Philbin was OC for GB from 2007, a full year before Aaron Rodgers started. So the OC that "allowed" Rodgers to shine and even win a SB turned out to be a dud of a HC.
In general I'd stay away from OCs that looked great with great QBs. Daboll fits the mold perfectly: some of the worst offenses pre-Allen, and one of the best from Allen's 2nd year. I say no to Daboll.
And holy crap this game!! This game is slowly becoming one of the most impressive games in NFL playoff history.
"The_Dark_Knight wrote:
This game is utter madness!!!
Insane, two elite QBs going at it.
"OwesOwn614 wrote:
This game is crazy. Maalox is going to fly off the shelves in one of these two cities tonight.
It's hard to believe they're playing the same sport that we saw played in Hard Rock this season.
That's what truly elite QBs can do. We can't even dream of Tua ever playing like Allen or Mahomes.
"The_Dark_Knight wrote:
This game is utter madness!!!
I think whoever wins this game will win it all. These are probably the two best teams and definitely two best QBs left in the playoffs.
"cbrad wrote:
Wait.. you're talking about Philbin? Don't forget Philbin was OC for GB from 2007, a full year before Aaron Rodgers started. So the OC that "allowed" Rodgers to shine and even win a SB turned out to be a dud of a HC.
In general I'd stay away from OCs that looked great with great QBs. Daboll fits the mold perfectly: some of the worst offenses pre-Allen, and one of the best from Allen's 2nd year. I say no to Daboll.
And holy crap this game!! This game is slowly becoming one of the most impressive games in NFL playoff history.
Hackett, the current GB OC is who I was going for, another hot candidate this offseason, though not interviewing with us at this point.
And part of the thing about Daboll is that he HAS coached without an elite QB in the NFL. He got elite performances out of Tua in college and he got career years out of guys like Reggie Bush and Brandon Marshall and made Matt Moore look solid. He doesn't have tons of elite offensive numbers because until now he hasn't really worked with an elite QB. I am more wary of guys that were placed into a situation that already had an elite QB in place and functionally elite before they came. I'd personally be more interested in McDaniel and Daboll, though the Rams dude is intriguing (mostly because he's unknown, but coming from a tree that is proving elite).
Ballgame Chiefs. Goddam I almost feel bad for Buffalo. That game was absolute madness.
"texanphinatic wrote:
And part of the thing about Daboll is that he HAS coached without an elite QB in the NFL.
Yeah and his offenses were near worst in the NFL:
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/coaches/DaboBr0.htm
Pre-Allen his offenses were ranked 29th, 31st, 20th and 32nd. C'mon man. That's a terrible record without an elite QB.
"hitman8 wrote:
That's what truly elite QBs can do. We can't even dream of Tua ever playing like Allen or Mahomes.
Speak for yourself. Stranger things have happened. And I'm not debating Tua in this thread because it's robust in the other. But this game was one for the ages. Watching some fantastic QB play this weekend.