1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Plenty of CBs and DEs out there .... so ...

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Da 'Fins, Mar 13, 2013.

1. Da 'Fins

Da 'Fins Season Ticket Holder Staff Member Club Member

Dec 19, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    What up? I get the WR and TE spots. And hopefully we can get a good deal on Winston.

But, they could land a vet DE/OLB for a 1-2 year deal, and get some pass rush and then land at least one CB.

I'd like to see that so we aren't going into the draft looking at DE in round 1 (not a fan of them at #12) and would rather go interior OL or WR.

So many holes ...

Sceeto and sports24/7 like this.
  2. Killer Bees

Killer Bees Bringin' the Ruckus

Aug 14, 2011
    I would like to see us bring in Abraham as a situational pass rusher.

unifiedtheory likes this.
  3. DearbornDolfan

DearbornDolfan Active Member

Mar 7, 2009
    Guys, we still have Odrick and Wake, so there's no reason to use money for that position right now. Let's see how the draft goes down and how Odrick plays before we declare DE a need. We certainly don't need defensive tackles, either.

4. VanDolPhan

VanDolPhan Club member Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Hamilton, Ontario Canada
    If you had club access you'd have some good info on who those could be.

5. Sceeto

Sceeto Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2008
    New York
    That's what I was hoping and expecting. I would probably look to the draft for another pass rusher, but Abraham or Freeney would be good at a reasonable price and preferably a short term contract.

6. Not So Fast

Not So Fast Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2012
    Lake Worth, FL
    We still need money to sign draft picks.

7. sports24/7

sports24/7 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Yeah, I keep hearing people talk about how we still need a CB and OT so bad, but there are still some good ones out there as well as some very good situational pass rushers. I think the Dolphins will get a pretty good corner at a reasonable cost and finally get a situational pass rusher that can come in on 3rd down and pressure the QB opposite Wake.

8. Coral Reefer

Coral Reefer Premium Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Back in Miami
    Odrick has not shown the ability to be a strong pass rusher at this point.
    I doubt Ireland is comfortable going into the season seeing Wake double teamed relentlessly because he's the only threat on the field.
    The bigger piece to the puzzle is Vernon and whether they truly believe he will be able to develop and apply consistent pressure.
    Too many "what ifs" in a league now that demands your defense has a solid pass rush.

We will see a situational pass rusher in FA or we'll target one of the DE's high in the draft IMO.

Da 'Fins likes this.
  9. RoninFin4

RoninFin4 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I think the additions of Ellerbe, and especially Wheeler, who are both good blitzers, will help with the pass-rush. Just from having watched a lot of the Bengals defense, I think it's more preferential to have a larger, 5-technique DE - like Odrick - than it is a matter of simply not having another pass-rusher on the roster. I'm more inclined to think they may be more in the market for a pass-rushing OLB that can eventually phase out Koa Misi. Guys like Jarvis Jones, Alex Okafor, and Corey Lemonier would be guys I'd keep my eye on in the draft.

10. Da 'Fins

Da 'Fins Season Ticket Holder Staff Member Club Member

Dec 19, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    As the morning goes on, I wonder if the Dolphins are just waiting on Jake Long to determine which direction they will go.

If Long does not get a great offer and takes the Dolphins offer, that will probably change their direction on a number of positions (in terms of who they go after). They will likely go cheaper. That may even impact their offer to Keller.

I suspect (hopefully) that if Long signs with St. Louis, Miami may go for Winston on the cheap and get Keller. I'd be fine with that. That might free up more money for other spots.

I do think we need a better pass rusher on the right side to compliment Wake. I'd like a 1-2 year type. Freeney or Abraham would be ideal because they would not have to be every down players and that would keep them fresher. We would probably have to pay a bit of a premium on either player because at this stage they probably prefer to go to a sure fire winner.