1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Porter

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by RickyNeverInhaled, Mar 18, 2009.

Tags:
  1. RickyNeverInhaled

RickyNeverInhaled Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2009
    Alabama
    The problem i had with Porter last year was that it seemed like he cared more about being the sack leader as opposed to doing what we needed. He went for the sack every play by running to the right side of his blocker and creating a huge hole for the opposing teams running back to run through. He did make some game changing sacks but the majority of them had no impact on the game, just an impact on his stats. I would rather have a pass rusher that drives his blocker out of the way in a straight line with nothing but power, then seeing where the ball is and tossing the guy to the other side while going after the ball. I think that Porter is expendable! I would rather have a draft pick for him.

miamiron and mi2cents like this.
  2. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    I think that you need to stop inhaling so much, sir.

Porter went for the QB everytime bc he was the only player on our team that knew what a passrush was! If we had anyone else who could pressure the QB, he probably wouldn't of stood out to you as much.

Would you prefer him taking the chance on a few sacks, the miss leading to a 5 yard run. Or, would you prefer him to drop back and let the QB have all day to expose our secondary?

The majority had no impact on the game? Uh the New England game!?

3. RickyNeverInhaled

Mar 15, 2009
    Alabama
    last year i got sick of watching the ball ran through the huge hole that porter created every play.

The New England game is a game where he made an impact on the outcome of the game. But i stand by what i said about the majority of them not having an impact on the game. If all you can bring up is one game, you prove my point. What good is a sack on 1st or second down when your defense gives up a 1st down on the next play? Of course this wasn't always Porter fault, a lot of that blame would go to our secondary giving up big pass plays, but when i noticed this about Porter i looked for it all year and i saw too many run plays on his side that killed us!

4. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    The whole argument is ridiculous.

You say all Porter cared about was getting sacks. Why? When did he ever say anything about being the sack leader or going after Strahan's record?

What's a coach going to tell a WLB who's already got 10.5 sacks halfway through the season? "No Joey, don't beat the tackle and go for a sack. We def don't need their offense to lose a down/yards. Why don't you just drop back into coverage and we'll hope for the best."

Not to mention that he was double teamed for pretty much the entire second half of the season. On any other team, that would create huge mismatches for the rest of the defense to exploit. Seeing as he was our only capable passrusher though, we couldn't capitalize.

5. RickyNeverInhaled

Mar 15, 2009
    Alabama
    i never said that Porter said anything about being sack leader or going after Strahan's record. However, i believe that actions speak louder than words. He over pursued around the right side to go after the QB on every play. He had no idea it was a run play, he just hoped it was a pass play every time. From the way he played i'm led to believe that he doesn't know what containment means, or at least he didn't care about containment. If the defensive play was designed for him to do that and we had someone plugging in the hole that would be fine, but that wasn't the case.

6. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Without him we are not AFC east champs.

To suggest that he was padding his stats is disrespectful to him imo, i will not defend him or debate you after the year he committed to us emotionally, physically and productively. peace.

7. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    Don't you think it's a little harder to maintain containment when you're being double teamed? Any defensive player that can consistantly draw a double team is easily doing their fair share of work. The question then becomes, what is the rest of the defense doing to capitalize?

You're whole argument seems flawed to me.

Porter is expendable? Yea, because we have so much depth at OLB that we can just put another guy right in his place and have close to the same production. Riiiight.

Porter didn't have any impact on any games? That's ironic, bc 9 of his 17.5 sacks came in the 4th quarter, and I sure as hell don't remember winning many games with a comfortable lead.

(http://www.nfl.com/players/joeyporter/situationalstats?id=POR135132)

I can't even read that first part about no impact and not lol.

I think we're really reaching for something to complain about don't you?

RevRick and djphinfan like this.
  8. RickyNeverInhaled

Mar 15, 2009
    Alabama
    its just something that i noticed all year. naturally you don't know what i'm talking about b/c you weren't looking at it like i was all year. If i didn't pay close attention and someone critiqued a guy that had 17.5 sacks, i would defend him to. I don't expect to change your mind, i don't know why you're trying to change mine. i'm simply defending myself from your comments. If you have any games from last year recorded watch it and look for it and you'll see what i'm talking about.

9. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    No, actually I know exactly what you're talking about.

Why you think what you do though, is a true mystery, naturally. My comments are only a reaction to you're statements, some of which are false IMO. If you don't believe they are false, then why not enlighten us with some facts to defend yourself from the opinions of others? Instead of attempting to insult my intelligence by insinuating I don't watch the games closely or notice what you somehow have.

I just want to hear how Porter is expendable, given our current roster. And then I would also like to know how he, "made some game changing sacks, but the majority of them didn't impact the game."

djphinfan likes this.
  10. RickyNeverInhaled

Mar 15, 2009
    Alabama
    lol. you seem to be full of facts by bringing up one game to prove your point.

11. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    The year before he didn't have enough sacks, this year its his run containment.

Don't you think if sparano et al wanted Porter to stay home and get that edge they would have told him to?

its the same complaint about Freeney.

12. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    Incase you missed it the first time:

9 of his 17.5 sacks came in the 4th quarter, and I sure as hell don't remember winning many games with a comfortable lead.

(http://www.nfl.com/players/joeyporte...s?id=POR135132)

^^ That doesn't sound like a one game impact to me. O yea, 4 forced fumbles, if that means anything.

And bc we have so much depth and Porter is expendable, here's the list of all the other guys that had 4 or more sacks last year:

Matt Roth (5)

O yea, there was one guy who had 3.5 though, Vonnie Holiday. So I wouldn't count on him to help. And after that it was Anderson with 2.5.

TotoreMexico likes this.
  13. RickyNeverInhaled

Mar 15, 2009
    Alabama
    There's a big difference in the way Porter was used in 07 and the way he was used last year. Sparano and company used Porter's strength and put him on the side he was use to playing. I love what Porter did for us last year, but i'm not a fan of the way he plays for our run defense.

14. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    Doesn't anyone else remember Sparano saying: "Go get us the ball, Joey!" ???

He talked about it in a few different interviews. Sparano gave him that job and he executed it, perfectly.

PMZQ, cnc66, TotoreMexico and 3 others like this.
  15. RickyNeverInhaled

Mar 15, 2009
    Alabama
    like i said earlier, what good is a sack when our defense gives up a 1st down on the next play? The amount of 4th quarter sacks Porter had is irrelevant. I consider it a game changing sack if its 3rd down and we get a sack and cause the opposing team to punt the next play. what good does it do if Porter gets a sack, then gives up 8 yards on a run play on his side?

16. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    Do you mean like making a game winning sack on the QB to win a game that kept us in playoff contention, like he did against KC? Or how about changing games by forcing 4 fumbles?

And I love how if the defense can't get off the field and gives up a 1st down, then that makes it the best player on that defense's fault. Now that's some interesting logic.

If that's the idea, then we might as well keep cycling through all of our good players and dumping them until we find the 1 stud that can carry the other 10 guys on the field with him.

Naaaa, let's just get rid of the ****ty players instead. And maybe, we'll get some more good players to go with the ones we already have, like JOEY PORTER.

PMZQ and djphinfan like this.
  17. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    I wish I could give this thread a -100 star rating. Why anyone would feel the need to trash our best defensive player is beyond me. Even in 2007, when he had a rough year he was one of the few guys to never give up. If that doesn't say Porter cares about this team and not individual records I don't know what does. Clutch defensive players like Porter are a rare commodity. Without even looking up stats I can think of two games he effectively ended in the 4th quarter. Buffalo and 49ers. We wouldn't have made the playoffs without him.

18. Nappy Roots

Nappy Roots Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Bradenton,FL
    thats funny that Porter always gave wide open lanes for the running back considering we were #10 in the NFL in rush defense, and thats with all of what? 1 blowout win? and 2 rookie DEs. please.

everyone knows Porter doesnt play the run great, but to say he leaves huge holes every time because he tries to blow by the tackle up the field every play is simply untrue. watch the games, one of the main reasons he was so good this year as compared to years past, he man handled tackles with his bull rush.

also, to say most his sacks werent game changers is utterly ridiculous and leads me to believe you didnt watch the games, because i refuse to believe anyone that sat down and watched the full Miami Dolphins season last year would make such a statement.

19. FaninPatsyLand

FaninPatsyLand The Truth

Jun 26, 2008
    Porter had a fantastic year in 2008 and I don't agree with the premise of this thread...

... but lets not go overboard. Fact is, there's been reports about his locker room conduct in 2007 that would suggest Porter was not a team player.

20. Rhody Phins Fan

Rhody Phins Fan Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2009
    This is completely flawed logic. Of course a sack doesn't matter if they get a first down the next play but who says that would even happen. I can guarantee you that drives where the QB gets sacked have a much lower percentage of getting a first down.

Also, if Porter gets a sack the other team is much more likely to pass the ball instead of running it.

Your whole argument seems to be based on Porter getting a sack and then giving up a first down on the very next run play which seems like a complete fabrication in your head.

21. phineas64

phineas64 Season Ticket Holder

Didn't JP get a sack to end the 49er's last offensive drive, helping to seal the win?

And IIRC he got one near the end of the Chiefs game too.

Both were close games which weren't decided to the end.

Actually, I remember the games somewhat the other way from you, RNI, it seemed that JP didn't get his name called much early in the games, but would stand out more at the end of the first half and at the end of the game.

Either way, he's the one guy on our D that opposing teams need to prepare for specifically, so flaws or not, I'm glad he's here. And he definitely gets the rest of our team emotionally fired up.

22. TotoreMexico

TotoreMexico Your retarded

Jan 4, 2008
    Mexico
    [​IMG]

@ this thread

23. RevRick

RevRick Long Haired Leaping Gnome Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Thomasville, GA
    This argument falls into the class of the famous trial conviction when Dohenny was convicted of accepting the bribe that Johnson was acquitted of offering. It makes no sense at all!:pity:

24. Nappy Roots

Nappy Roots Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Bradenton,FL

whats all this 1st down on the next play crap?

Because im bored at work and this is such a ridiculous thread im going to do some HW for you...heres a breakdown of Porters sacks:

Sack #1 vs. NYJ

3rd and 5 at NYJ 26 (3:04) (Shotgun) B.Favre sacked at NYJ 20 for -6 yards (J.Porter).
    4th and 11 at NYJ 20 (2:40) B.Graham punts 48 yards to MIA 32

Sack on 3rd down:shifty:

Sack #2,3,4 & 5 vs. NE

1st and 7 at MIA 7 (7:34) M.Cassel sacked at MIA 12 for -5 yards (J.Porter).
    2nd and 12 at MIA 12 (7:07) M.Cassel sacked at MIA 16 for -4 yards (P.Merling).
    3rd and 16 at MIA 16 (6:20) (Shotgun) M.Cassel pass short middle INTERCEPTED by R.Starks [P.Merling] at MIA 18. R.Starks to MIA 26 for 8 yards (L.Mankins).

NE driving the ball into the redzone and sack on 1st down DEEP in Miami territory. Merling comes with a sack on next play leading to a 3rd and Long which the Pats try a screen and Starks picks the ball off. pretty big sack there on first and goal.

2nd and 6 at NE 33 (:49) (No Huddle, Shotgun) M.Cassel sacked at NE 25 for -8 yards (J.Porter).

Pats are in a no huddle on 2nd a 6 and Porter comes up with a sack to put them in a 3rd and long situation with very little time..

3rd and 3 at NE 44 (14:20) M.Cassel sacked at NE 45 for -1 yard (J.Porter). FUMBLES (J.Porter), RECOVERED by MIA-P.Merling at NE 49.

Turnover caused ON 3rd down as well. Might be trend here

1st and 10 at NE 42 (4:59) K.O'Connell sacked at NE 40 for -2 yards (J.Porter).

Put them in 2nd and 12. NE ended up turning it over on downs

Sack #5.5 vs. SD

1st and 10 at MIA 25 (3:06) P.Rivers sacked at MIA 33 for -8 yards (sack split by V.Holliday and J.Porter).

Next play SD completed a screen pass for a first down

Sack #6.5 vs. Houston

1st and 10 at HST 24 (1:40) (Shotgun) M.Schaub sacked at HST 16 for -8 yards (J.Porter).

Sack with 1:40 left trying to make a defensive stand, id say thats a pretty big time for a sack. Not his fault Crowder gives up a completion for the first down later

Sack #7.5 & 8.5 vs. Ravens

2nd and 22 at MIA 40 (2:53) (Shotgun) J.Flacco sacked at MIA 44 for -4 yards (J.Porter).

Porter makes a sack here taking the Ravens out of field goal range. Id say pretty big sack. however, Chris Crocker gives up a pass on 3rd and long to put them back in FG range. Baltimore hits the FG.

2nd and 7 at MIA 36 (13:30) J.Flacco sacked at MIA 46 for -10 yards (J.Porter).

Porter comes up with another sack that takes Baltimore out of FG range and creates a 3rd and 17 situation. Next play Bell causes a fumble and we recover it.

Sack #9.5 & 10.5 vs. Bills

3rd and 10 at BUF 19 (13:21) (Shotgun) T.Edwards sacked at BUF 15 for -4 yards (J.Porter).

3rd down sack inside the redzone, id say pretty big sack. We end up recovering a fumble on 4th down, no FG. Sack looks even bigger now

3rd and 10 at BUF 3 (7:50) (Shotgun) T.Edwards sacked at BUF -3 for -6 yards (J.Porter). FUMBLES (J.Porter), recovered by BUF-D.Preston at BUF -5. D.Preston tackled in End Zone, SAFETY (C.Anderson).

Another 3rd down sack, this time deep in Buffalo territory. Joey also forces a fumble and when buffalo recovers we get 2 points and the ball. Id say pretty big sack. You must already be sorry for saying Porters sacks didnt matter

Sack #11.5 vs. Broncos

3rd and 8 at MIA 44 (12:12) (Shotgun) J.Cutler sacked at MIA 46 for -2 yards (J.Porter).

What do you know, another 3rd down sack. Again in Miami territory

Sack #12 vs. Seahawks

3rd and 11 at MIA 45 (3:34) S.Wallace sacked at SEA 47 for -8 yards (sack split by C.Anderson and J.Porter).

Porter combines with Charlie Anderson for yet another 3rd down sack. How dare this guy

Sack #13 & #13.5 vs. Raiders

3rd and 6 at OAK 45 (:19) (Shotgun) J.Russell sacked at OAK 45 for 0 yards (sack split by V.Holliday and J.Porter).

Joey comibes with Holliday for another 3rd down sack, to basically end the 1st half

1st and 10 at OAK 20 (:35) (Shotgun) J.Russell sacked at OAK 15 for -5 yards (J.Porter).

Oakland is down by 2 with 35 seconds left and Porter comes up with a sack...not a big play at all:shifty:

Sack #14.5 vs. Patties

1st and 10 at NE 35 (10:08) (Shotgun) M.Cassel sacked at NE 31 for -4 yards (J.Porter).

This game sucked

Sack #15.5 & #16.5 vs. Bills

3rd and 9 at BUF 13 (13:57) (Shotgun) J.Losman sacked at BUF 2 for -11 yards (J.Porter).

What do you know, another 3rd down sack, this one deep in Buffalo territory leading to good field position for offense and points.

3rd and 19 at MIA 39 (1:06) (No Huddle, Shotgun) J.Losman sacked at MIA 47 for -8 yards (J.Porter). FUMBLES (J.Porter), RECOVERED by MIA-V.Holliday at MIA 48.

Late in the 4th quarter Joey comes up with yet another 3rd down sack. This one to end the game because he causes a fumble, Vonnie lands on it and with 2 kneel downs by Penny, its game. again, not to big of a sack though..:shifty:

Sack #17.5 vs. 49ers

4th and 10 at MIA 21 (1:07) S.Hill sacked at MIA 28 for -7 yards (J.Porter).

Does this honestly need my commentary? Up by only 5 with the offense on the 21 yard line? 4th and 10? seriously? let me show you the next 2 plays after that sack..
    1st and 10 at MIA 14 (1:02) C.Pennington kneels to MIA 14 for no gain.
    2nd and 10 at MIA 14 (:19) C.Pennington kneels to MIA 13 for -1 yards.
    END GAME

Id say pretty big sack....

So all in all, 3 sacks all year where the team got a first down after a Joey sack
    . 3!

25. Onehondo

Onehondo Senior Member Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Chesapeake, Virginia
    I would much rather have JP playing for us than again'st us. You take Porter out of our defense and you have a defense without a threat. If the opposing QB doesn't have someone on the opposing defense who is a threat to pressure him or sack him then you have a QB who can pad their stats again't the Dolphins and can take time to find their receivers. Evidently Sparano and Parcells are happy with the job Joey Porter has been doing and thats good enough for me. Maybe Sparano and Parcells just haven't seen how badley Porter has been playing and how bad he has been hurting the team?

By the way, how quick do you think the Pats would grab up Porter if we turned him loose?

26. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    ^^^^ THANK YOU.

I knew my mind wasn't playing tricks on me.

27. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

Ya' know Ricky...me thinks you start threads like this just to be a PITA...

Seriously...I'm kidding......but I think that Pasqueloni told Porter that his job was to get after the QB...because we certainly didn't have anyone else going after them, particularly in the second half of the season. And that's when Porter was doubled and tripled most of the time... I doubt that his contract would make him 'expendable' as it'd cost too much to let him go and what do we do to replace him ?? Perhaps after the draft we might be able to fill in some names there, but if you let Porter go today, we have NO pass rushers in the front 7...Besides that, if you have seen Tunas' D operate in the past, they always have a "Porter" at that spot...

GARDENHEAD likes this.
  28. Larryfinfan

Nappy...nice rebuttal....

Nappy Roots likes this.
  29. NJFINSFAN1

NJFINSFAN1 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey
    Nice post Nappy, like I said yesterday in a thread. When posters back up argument or threads with facts, you get a lot of thanks or 5 stars if your a thread starter.

this was a 5 star rebuttal.

Nappy Roots, late again and djphinfan like this.
  30. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts

Wow, nice work and look at how many times Vonnie Holiday's name is mentioned, he had a larger impact then anyone could have thought he did.

Nappy Roots likes this.
  31. RickyNeverInhaled

Mar 15, 2009
    Alabama
    LOL. that's pretty neat. you'll have to teach me how to put a video in a thread like that.

32. RickyNeverInhaled

Mar 15, 2009
    Alabama

There's no stats that will show Porter's attempted sacks that made huge running lanes. It's not like i hate the guy. I loved every sack he got, but i was frustrated when he didn't get a sack and they ran the ball right past him.

33. RickyNeverInhaled

Mar 15, 2009
    Alabama

If Pasqueloni told Porter that his job was to get after the QB, that proves my point. There's nothing wrong with that, i love it. What i don't like his not having someone plug the hole he creates. That's all i'm trying to say.

34. RickyNeverInhaled

Mar 15, 2009
    Alabama
    At the time you wrote this i was at work!

35. RickyNeverInhaled

Mar 15, 2009
    Alabama
    I just want to say thanks to the 6 people that gave me 1 star on this thread. I know your intentions are like leaving a bad tip, but i'm an optimist and 1 star is better than the tons of threads that don't have any.

36. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    Here ya go:

[​IMG]

Nappy Roots and DOLFANMIKE like this.
  37. Sceeto

Sceeto Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2008
    New York
    Thanks. Nice work bro, but you did that from work? LOL! I hope you're the boss. ;), otherwise you better be careful bro. :D

Nappy Roots likes this.
  38. dolpns13

dolpns13 Chest Rockwell is my hero

Dec 3, 2007
    North Jersey
    firstly, since when does a sack not have an impact on the game; secondly, and more importantly, explain how a "game changing" sack does not have an impact on the game as stated above?

Ill agree Porter at the end of the year Porter basically disappeared, but noone (DLmen or LB's) was really getting pressure on the QB in any of the last few games, I think it had more to do with poor playcalling on Coach P's part from what I saw of it... He was blizting less, stunting less and from what I remember mainly only sent 4 rushers in the last quarter of the season than the 1st 3

Onehondo likes this.
  39. late again

late again Senior Member

Nov 24, 2007
    Brother, it's time to raise that white flag that was offered.
    Porter was told to rush the passer because that is his forte. He got sacks and he pressured the QB - often.
    He ended up being what?...... #2 or #3 in total sacks?
    Nappy showed just how impactive his sacks were.
    You say there's no stat to show how many tackles he whiffed on.
    Also there's no stat to show how many times he made a QB account for his presence and get rid of the football quicker than he wanted to.
    Porter was an important part of our defense last year. He may not have done everything that you wanted him to do, but he earned his keep.
    If you want to point to a player and say you arent happy with his performance, I would think you could easily find someone more deserving than Porter.

Nappy Roots likes this.
  40. Larryfinfan

Well, being really stout against the run last season (I forget the ranking, but it was a single digit) must mean that they accounted for the 'hole' you talk of...That's not Porters' fault anyway, if he was told to get after the QB...that's scheme...at any rate, I think this one is done...you need to give up on it and move on to something else...and bro...more people will read your posts because of the content and the interaction than for stars...Does anyone else really care about the rating of the thread ?? I certainly don't, all I care about is the content...

late again likes this.