1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Possible Trading Partner?

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by UCF FINatic, Mar 10, 2013.

1. UCF FINatic

UCF FINatic The Miami Dolphins select

Apr 17, 2008
    http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/8451/kenny-vaccaro

For the past couple years i have heard similar rumors regarding the Cowboys "keying in" on one player or two each draft. Many years ago, I would have just dismissed it as being pre-draft rumblings, but the more I have followed the draft and paid attention to the Cowboys rumors vs. who they actually select I have learned that for the most part rumors like these surrounding the Cowboys are typically true. It happened in the 2011 draft with Tyron Smith (the rumors where always between him and J.J. Watt). In 2010 there were some rumblings about them and Dez Bryant although I wrote that off because I doubted he would be there when they picked. There were Felix Jones rumors in 2008. Honestly, I don't recall much last year about them and Claiborne but again, I could have written it off because of how far back they were in the draft.

Now given the Cowboy's penchant for being "loose-lipped" with the players they want, the way they are very active on draft day moving to acquire the players they want (i.e. Morris Claiborne), our relationship with the Cowboys, AND the players Ireland is likely to target (Cooper, Eifert, Austin, etc.) I wonder if they are the perfect trade partners.

Given the Trade Value Chart it would cost the Cowboys a late 2nd round pick to move up from 18 to 12. I wonder if it makes sense for us to trade back for their 3rd round pick, or get their 2nd and we would have to add our 4th, or something like that.

I think this could seriously happen and I would be fine with it. Drafting a TE, OG, or slot WR is MUCH more palatable for me if we do it at 18 compared to 12, especially if we pick up an extra draft pick.

2. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    We should hear our strong interest in Vaccaro anyday now..

3. azfinfanmang

azfinfanmang Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    First, Jerry Jones is an absolute IMBECILE as an NFL-GM, that being said, he is also a very very shrewd businessman. I call Smoke-screen

Second, last thing the Cowgirls draft, especially day one of the draft, is a Safety. Aint gonna happen.

4. UCF FINatic

UCF FINatic The Miami Dolphins select

Apr 17, 2008
    Did you even read what I wrote?

azfinfanmang likes this.
  5. azfinfanmang

Nov 23, 2007
    Yes, agreeing with you more than disputing what you wrote.

UCF FINatic likes this.
  6. CANDolphan

CANDolphan Well-Known Member

Feb 18, 2012
    I'd struggle to see Dallas do that. I can see Miami trading down for their 3rd and a 6th or something along those lines.

7. seabass0795

seabass0795 New Member

Feb 26, 2012
    Orlando
    The only DB I realistically see them trading up for is Dee Milliner. This situation is just like last year's. You have your top DB which is a CB, Milliner this year and Claiborne last year. You have the second best DB being a Safety, Vaccaro this year and Mark Barron last year. There was reported interest that the Cowboys wanted Mark Barron.

What did the Cowboys do? They traded up to get the top DB, Morris Claiborne. If they are willing to trade, I see the same situation happening this year.

8. azfinfanmang

Nov 23, 2007
    I'll bet you 100.00 the Cowboys, unless they do some SERIOUS wheeling and dealing in FA, draft a lineman first round. Perhaps 4 of their first 6 picks.
    Keep in mind, they actually gave us a draft pick for Ryan freakin Cook last offseason, and they are worse off now than they were then. Add into that, Jay Ratliff very well might not be a Cowboy much longer. Declining play, contract, and the fact he was busted for a very nasty DUI just months after they lost 2 players to a DUI (One driving and looking at prison time cause he killed the other). They will draft a lineman, whether it be O or D is what we can argue over.

Cowboys have issues, but defensive backfield is not one of them. They also already have boat-loads of money in Brandon Carr and Mike Jenkins, they will spread it around some.

9. ToddPhin

ToddPhin Premium Member Luxury Box Club Member

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    So you're against us using a 1st on an elite slot receiver to pair with Wallace & Hartline but you're for Dallas using a first rounder on cornerback despite trading up in the 1st round for one last year as well as dishing out $10.0M/year to Brandon Carr? Cmon man. All this tells me is you have ulterior motives for not using a 1st on Tavon Austin.

P h i N s A N i T y likes this.
  10. seabass0795

seabass0795 New Member

Feb 26, 2012
    Orlando
    Never said I agree with the Cowboys trading up, don't know where you got that from.

Just saying this year is similar to last year and if the Cowboys are to trade up at all it would be for Milliner not Vaccaro. This thread is about them trading up to our spot to get Vaccaro and I just don't see that happening. Don't agree with them trading up for either Milliner or Vaccaro, just that trading for Milliner is what they would most likely want of the two.

11. seabass0795

seabass0795 New Member

Feb 26, 2012
    Orlando
    Not saying they will get a DB. Just saying this thread is about the hypothetical scenario of them trading up to 12 for Vaccaro, and if they were to trade up for anyone it would be for Milliner. I agree however that they are desperate when it comes to their O line but then again Jerry Jones is not exactly a smart GM.

12. P h i N s A N i T y

P h i N s A N i T y My Porpoise in Life

Apr 19, 2012
    Treasure Coast, FL
    They just drafted Claiborne and payed Carr mega bucks..... they aint trading up for Milliner, who has about zero chance of getting to 12 anyway. Vaccaro makes sense to slide a few spots up for them. It also makes sense for us to move back a few.... depending on who could slip to 12.

13. seabass0795

seabass0795 New Member

Feb 26, 2012
    Orlando
    Didnt say they would trade to 12 for Milliner. All I am saying is that if they want to trade up for an upgrade at DB Milliner seems like the guy they should target. If they want Vaccaro he will easily slip to them, St Louis has other needs. I see a trade up for milliner more realistic than a trade up to 12 for vaccaro. Both have very low chances of happening though

14. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

It will be Dallas.

it will be for one of: Star Lotulelei, Sheldon Richardson, or Shariff Floyd for their conversion from 3-4 to 4-3 under Monte Kiffin.

15. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

I don't know who their desired player will be, but Dallas makes the most sense for a trade partner, simply because they seem to trade in the 1st as much or more than any other team. Then the connection between Dallas and Miami just increases the chances. The idea of a safety makes sense right now, and also the idea of a 3 technique DT makes sense. So, we'll have to see what they do in free agency first.
    IMO, Dallas would be foolish to trade up for Vaccaro. If he's off the board, Eric Reid would likely be there and some like him better anyway. Since there is a chance both of the best 3 technique DTs could be gone, I'd agree Floyd or Richardson make more sense from a supply and demand standpoint.

16. Clark Kent

Clark Kent Fighter of the Nightman

May 9, 2008
    They were probably going to try and trade up for Barron if Claiborne hadn't fallen.

17. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    Vacarro's value is about the #12 pick and he fits Dallas' need. Conversely, #18 would be a nice spot to take an offensive skill player like Austin, Eifert, Patterson or Allen.