1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Post Combine Offseason Plan

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by zwave21, Feb 26, 2014.

1. zwave21

zwave21 New Member

Dec 31, 2012
    Been awhile since I last posted guys but after the way we let down the last two games, the GM roundtable, the Wells report, etc. just wasn't much positive to say. But, with the combine behind us and Free Agency and the Draft ahead of us there is optimism (all us Dolfans have really) on the horizon. I just hope Dickey, Philbin and Co. don't make this a terrible offseason to set us back if and when a new regime comes in.

So, let's address our own Potential FA's:

P. Solai - on the wrong side of 30, and supposedly already put his house on the market. Love what he brings to the table but I view DT as a postiion to get younger and cheaper. Walk

R. Starks
    - same really as above. Starks is a 3 down player and will be sorely missed but someone will overpay for him at his age and I don't want it to be us. Walk

B. Grimes
    - Probabaly the most important upcoming FA on the roster. Let's make one thing clear he was the best player on our team last year without a doubt. Re-Sign or Franchise and Re-sign to long-term deal (3yr)

R. Incognito
    - yeah pretty sure the Wells Report, and Twitter outburts sealed his fate. Walk

D. Keller
    - never got a real shot with us. Thought he could've been a good piece for our offense, regardless the emergence of Charles Clay makes him expendable. We need a tall TE with blocking ability. Keller is not it. Walk

T. Clabo
    - rough start of the year for the veteran but played better towards the end. OL is in need of a 4 to possibly 5 person makeover. Clabo is coming up on 33 and we need a youth movement. Walk

J. Jerry - the John Jerry Experiment has ran 2+ seasons to long, time for us to cut the show. Walk

N. Carroll -
    had his best season on 2013 but after drafting 2 CB's in the early rounds last year and with Jimmy Wilson emerging as a slot corner, not sure I make Carroll a priority. I value Patterson higher if we can work out a a re-structure of his $5.5. mil cap number. Walk (depending on Patterson)

C. Clemons -probably our most consistent defensive player throughout the year outside of B. Grimes. Still, Clemons has never emerged as anything more than a solid starter. He doesn't offer that gamebreaking centerfield safety we desperately need. I think we can identify someone in the draft to partner with Jones. Walk (depending on Draft)

Now why don't we re-structure some of our won deals and make some cuts:

M. Wallace - had a up and down year 1 in Miami, main thing is he and RT17 need to get on the same page. His 2014 cap figure is $17mil, while the rest of the years hover around 12-13 range. I'd like to balance it out better and free up some immediate money, while Wallace total value does not suffer. Re-Structure

M. Moore - kind of ridiculous our backup QB makes $5mil. Regardless I think it'd be smarter to get the money and find a Vet Backup who has famiiarity with Lazor's system to help acclimate T-Hill. Cut

D. Patterson - when he played he was fantastic... but that when is few and far between. Still, I think he'd be open to re-structuring his deal to stay in Miami. Make sure that the money is guaratneed with playing time, so we don't pay for a full 16 games and get only 5. Re-Structure

P. Wheeler - god this was a bad move. In my mind our LB's might be just as bad as our O-Line. If I could I'd cut them all and bring in 3 new ones who can play in space. To cut Wheeler whether its before or after June 1st will still be a $10.6 cap penalty. With the rumors of a $132+ mil cap and being in great position with rollover and current space...oh and not to mention the money we just free'd up above, I'd be willing to take it just to be rid of the situation. Cut ($10.6mil penalty)

Now entering open Free Agency let's address current needs:

OT - both positions will need to be filled. Personally I'd like to sign one and draft one just for insurance sake.
    OG - both positions will need to be filled. Again I'd like to sign one draft one. For what it's worth I hope OL Coach Benton, looks a D. Thomas at LG (All-SEC in 2012)
    FS - Clemons is gone, and we need a game changer to roam with Jones. FA class outside of J. Byrd looks weak, I look draft for this.
    RB - I think Miller will be used effective (depending on Line) in Lazor's system. I still don't think he is a workhorse and hope we bring on a back to split carries.
    DT - with Starks and Solai gone, there will be a huge hole not just for a starter but for a backup in the rotation. I'd look FA & Draft for both.
    TE - this isn't the biggest of needs but I get a feeling we will need a solid blocking TE and red zone threat.
    LB - with Wheeler out that leaves a spot open. I think we have current options on roster but mid-round pick wouldn't be the worst thing to happen.
    Backup QB - Moore is out and we need a Vet to keep working with Tannehill.

Free Agency:

OT:
    1. B. Albert - rumors are he will hit the market, makes sense after KC drafted a tackle #1 overall. He's 29 which worries me with injury history but at the same time when healthy he is elite.
    2. J. Velheer- 6'7" and athletic. I like what I have seen from his play but was hurt for a good portion of 2013. Rumor is he wants to stay in OAK and they have a boat load of cash.
    3. E. Munroe - he is probably my favorite if he becomes available. Ravens traded picks for him and I don't see them not retaining him.
    4. A. Collins - for the price, versatility, and the lack of wear on the tires I love Collins. Stepped in at RT/LT wherever and he plays at a high level. Cincy has a lot invested in the line already and I believe he becomes available.
    5. R. Saffold - he is a better guard than tackle. But, he has versatility on both left and ride side. I believe St. Louis will keep him just depends on the price.
    Sign - A. Collins(4yrs) - this gives you more flexibility in draft where you don't have to take OT in round 1. Collins can come in as LT or if rookie beats him out slide to RT.

OG -
    1. G. Schwartz - is a real mauler in the run game and overtook teammate J. Asamoah for starting spot during the 2013 season. He is still young at 28 and anyone who watched KC rush offense should be envious of line play.
    2. T. Wharton - 33 but coming off great year with Carolina. Personally I am not signing any lineman over 31, and the reason behind it is I am done with one and done rentals. This team isn't a SB contender yet... but playoffs should be expected with the talent we have.
    3. J. Asamoah - at 26 and with KC prioritizing other OL over him, I think he will hit the market. He would be my #1 as he can man the right side and is a good run blocker with good athletiticism.
    4. R. Saffold - see above but he is better guard than tackle.
    5. S. Lavlao - another young guy about to enter his prime. He was a starter for CLE before injuries affected his 2013 season. With Alex Mack demanding a big contract I see CLE letting him walk. He won't be top dollar and would be a good young guy.
    Sign - J. Asamoah (4 yrs) - Simple answer is he is young at 26, will be hungry after losing starting spot, and should come at affordable price. This also will give OL balance with a Veteran on both Left and Right side with potential rookies coming in.

RB -
    1. M. Jones-Drew - he is still only 29 years old and I think he has productive years left. Still, he isn't the workhorse he once was. He offers us things we desperately need in veteran presence, leadership, 3rd down back, pass blocking, and inside tackles runner.
    2. L. Blount - has ties to Hickey, and has done nothing but produce when called upon. He is a big back we would need but do his characted concerns scare off Philbin.
    3. D. Brown - had a very good year in Indy, and with them trading a 1st for Richardson I think Brown is good as gone. He is a tough runner who can catch and block and would be a welcome sight in Miami.
    4. D. McFadden - injury concerns galore, but noone can deny his talent when on the field. He is someone for the right price and years I'd take a flier on.
    5. P. Thomas - he isn't a FA yet but rumor is he could be a cap casualty and with NO liking Ingram and Robinson at RB I think Pierre is gone.
    Sign - P. Thomas (2-3yrs) - MJD is going to want serious money, same with Blount. Brown has had one good year and McFadden you can't rely on. All Thomas has done in a back by committee in NO for past 5 years is produce. He will be a nightmare as a pass catcher for opponents and the 3rd down back we need.

DT -
    1. L. Joseph - at 25 he had a great year with NYG. He isn't a pass rush threat but he absorbs blockers which would work well with Odrick.
    2. B.J. Raji - i'd say he never lived up to his billing. But he is still relatively young and is a run stopper who we could very much use.
    3. P. Sims - still young at 28 and has played well for OAK. He will not be on the field in pass rush situations but we don't need him for that.
    4. T. McDaniel - familiar face, and coming off SB ring with SEA. They have too many needs on D-Line and McDaniel shouldn't be a top 2 priority.
    5. Z. Hood - another guy that never lived up to his draft pick but maybe a change of scenary will do the trick.
    Sign - B.J. Raji (2yrs) - he'll want to get one more big payday before he leaves his prime well at 27 in 2 years he would still have opportunity. Allowing him 4-3 movement at DT could help his re-emergence.

Backup QB -
    Sign - C. Whitehurst (2yrs) - Why? He played for Seattle right around the time that Lazor was there. He has experiene backing up a great QB in Rivers, and he has been in some good offensive systems. All that matters is helping RT17.

Mock Draft:

Round 1: Ha-Ha Clinto-Dix: Alabama FS - Woah, I know I know a FS in round 1!!! Well, a few years back we sat at the 12 spot and we passed a guy named Earl Thomas...he is an All-Pro and the best safety in the league. At 19 I think the top Tackles, and DT we need will be gone. Finding a potentially Pro-Bowl player at 19 is huge for us and having a strong secondary worked for Seahawks right?

Round 2: Austin Sefrian-Jenkins: WASH TE - Yes, folks I see the trend in the league of big TE targets are feasting on LB's and Secondaries alike. This is a guy who didn't test at Combine and I don't think is as coveted as Ebron/Amaro. He played too heavy at 280, I'd want him at 260 but he is a stud with plus athleticism. If you didn't pick up I am a BPA guy who factors in need at times. This fills both despite TE not being as huge as OL.

Round 3: Joel Bitino: Nevada G/T - this is one of my favorite prospects. Reminds me of Bahktiari from GB this year. Smaller school guy, but with real potential. He has excellent athleticism and good size. Played LT in college but for me I'd let him compete for the LG spot with a RT being the end all be all. I think he could become a poor man's Kyle Long at guard.

Round 4: Anthony Johnson: LSU DT - I love SEC Defensive Lineman, oh wait I just love all SEC players doesn't matter what kind. This is a guy who plays vicious and after the talent LSU produces I am on board with Johnson coming on in pass rush and rotation situations. A trio of Odrick, Raji, and Johnson will be some big boys to play with up front.

Round 5: Matt Pachan: BC OT - This is the final piece to shore up our line. Yes, I want to bring in a veteran just in case all rookies don't go as planned. Pachan is a strong kid who has good athleticism. He is a beast as a run blocker but isn't the LT mold. Still in round 5 to find a starter at RT would be great.

Round 6: Tevin Reese: Baylor WR - A WR? really? Well, we have one field stretcher on offense with Wallace god forbid he gets hurt. Baylor has produced some good receivers years past and Reese looks like the vertical threat we could develop.

Let me know what you guys think?

Colmax, LBsFinest, Skyfire023 and 5 others like this.
  2. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Good stuff, I'm hoping we keep more of our own guys though. Gotta have a strong veteran presence in the locker room to help keep the young guys focused.

3. Ludacris

Ludacris Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Jan 8, 2008
    I hope free agency happens that way but would like to see the Dolphins make a run at Linval Joseph instead. I wouldn't mind Raji though.

I think we need more help on the OL though. I don't know anything about Bitino or Pachan but RT has become more important as teams will sometimes line up their best pass rusher over the RT now (like we do with Wake).

4. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Please email this plan to Hickey. That is all.

5. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    Man, I forgot all about Keller.

I would be inclined to keep Clemons and Carroll if possible. Both guys really improved last year and are still young. I can't complain about your other points. I like it.

6. finwin

finwin Active Member

Apr 30, 2013
    Jamestown, NC
    I get that you're down on the team, but D wasn't a major problem but I agree with most of what you're saying. I like Patterson, but he's going to cost $5M so what's he worth for the 5-8 games that he will be on the field. We have to keep Starks IMO. Grimes i'll take or leave. He's not worth franchise tag money and someone will offer him a better contract than us so it looks like our secondary will have a new look. We need Jamar Taylor and Will Davis to start at corner and nickle backs. I hope Clemmons and Carroll can go to the Patriots and I hope it clicks for Rashad Jones this year. I hope our new OL coach, Benton can get a group together that gels quickly.

7. CitizenSnips

CitizenSnips hmm.

Nov 29, 2007
    PA
    Wallace ain't restructuring. Your essentially telling him to hold off on some of those millions and wait a year or so. Would YOU do that?

Wheeler is not getting cut. its just too much.

You'd be risking a lot letting both DT's walk. I'm not saying its the wrong move, but i wouldn't feel great about it.

I think your right about round 1. Its a weird pick for our needs.

I think clemons stays. hes a good player. Albeit not spectacular.

Also, OL needs to be a bigger priority then you're showing iMO. We need 4 new starters, and the backups sucked too. We need more than 2 OL in the draft unless we get 3-4 in FA.

8. phinator

phinator New Member

Jan 6, 2014
    I'd rather have Justin Gilbert in round 1

9. RickyBobby

RickyBobby VIP DIY

Sep 22, 2009
    Palm beach
    don't agree with draft but like FA

10. sports24/7

sports24/7 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    I don't get how you want to let Soliai and Starks walk because they're too old at 30 at a position where players play productively well into their 30's, yet MJD is your top RB priority when he's 29 at a position where you usually see a major dropoff once a player hits 30.

I do agree with some of your moves though.

Sceeto likes this.
  11. PhinGeneral

PhinGeneral PC Texas A&M, Bro Club Member

Jan 4, 2008
    Swamps of Jersey
    I wouldn't restructure Wallace. I don't want the dead money in future years if he's not much better than he was this past season and we feel like getting rid of him.

12. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

I don't think they let all those guys walk. One of the DT will be back, unless they don't want to be back, that's entirely possible.
    Carroll actually played half way decently. I'd bring him back.
    Grimes is almost a 'must' re-sign. It's bad enough we're rebuilding the whole OL, if they let Grimes walk, then they are doing the same in the secondary.
    Patterson will ONLY be back with a decent "earn it with playing time" contract...
    Keller - I'd still take him back with a 'earn it' contract...he's a proven commodity when healthy and another one year deal for him to "get back to where he was 2 years ago" would do us and him fairly well... In fact, might be his best chance at a bigger contract in 2015...I'm not too enamored with Sims or Egnew and he was playing well before his injury. One less hole to fill...
    Clabo, because he played better as the year went on, might be a candidate for a one or two year deal...even if he ends up a backup after FA and the draft, it helps a little in case we miss on whoever the OL are that they end up drafting/signing in FA.
    RI won't be back, but I felt that way before the bully-gate stuff, but because of the bully-gate stuff, it seals his fate. He's a mediocre OG...just so happened he was the best guy not named Pouncey we had on the OL...
    I'd even look at McKinnie again, after FA just in case.
    Jerry may just get another chance just due to the sheer numbers of players we have to replace... I agree, he's just a guy and he likely didn't get as much criticism last year because of the way the rest of the OL was playing. Just have to remember that he was on that horrible right side that couldn't open a hole or a passing lane for an 8 lane highway in the middle of the desert...
    Wallace won't be restructured. Next year, if the team tanks again, he'd be easy to unload, along with Wheeler/Ellerbe...that's how they structured all those contracts...

As to the FAs...it's all a guessing game right now. What we don't know is the impact on getting guys to come here after the a) debacled way the season ended, the bully-gate, the way the GM hunt went and Ross inability make decisive moves in anything he's done so far...

13. zwave21

zwave21 New Member

Dec 31, 2012
    Love the feedback guys, great to get some dialogue going. I'll address a few questions asked....

To CitizenSnips:
    Regarding Wallace: I mean you tell me is it really that unreasonable to think a guy may want a breakdown of ($14 mil over 3 years) rather than ($17, 12, 12) Not sure the actual figures but I don't think it's too crazy.

Wheeler you are probably right but if we can re-structure those deals, I'd be willing to bite the bullet.

Losing DT: it will definitely be a risk but in truth Odrick has the most potential and I want a space eater to let him roam free.

If Clemons is retained I am fine, just with rumors he isn't a priority I think we let him walk.

Trust me I view O-Line a priority but for me LT and RG are the two positions I invest in a proven commodity in a FA. In Round 1, the only Lineman I draft at 19 who would be available is Zack Martin and to me he is a guard in the NFL. I would like to see versatile lineman like you see in NE.

To Sports24/7:
    I let Solai walk because there are 2-3 DT who are essentially him = run stuffer who demands a double team but limited pass rush. Those 2-3 are also in the mid 20's and will be cheaper IMO.

Starks is tough cause I don't want to lose him but Starks and Odrick as run stuffing DT's isn't going to cut it. You need a big body to take on a double team.

MJD is by no means top priority those numbers isn't my personal ranking just how I categorized them. MJD is a guy who can bring a lot to the table in what we desperately need. 1. Veteran leadership. 2. 3rd down back. 3. Pass blocking back 4. Inside the tackles runner. He is by no means our workhorse and probably has 2-3 years at best but that's all we need.

To Larryfinfan:

Yes, Carroll played decent and trust me I am a big critic. I am not opposed to him coming back at all but settling for our #2 CB to be decent is a sad expectation for us.

On board with playing time for Patterson to get his pay.

For Keller, What value does he add that is different that Clay? He is coming off two injury seasons so who knows where he is. He is almost 30 to Clay's young 20's. He isn't a blocker and is the same height as Clay. I will not ***** and moan to give him another shot but having two players that have the same traits but one is a older and more broken down version doesn't make sense to me.

Agree with McKinnie and Clabo would be a last option for me but they did play better as season went on.

If Jerry is back then we have a really big problem for lack of talent, work ethic, and just not a good guy.

sports24/7 likes this.
  14. sports24/7

sports24/7 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    That's a fair enough argument, but if why would players that can do the same a Soliai, but are younger than him be cheaper? I honestly don't know that Soliai will get a huge contract. He tested the FA waters before and came back to sign a pretty reasonable contract in Miami, I think we could see the same this year.

15. PhinGeneral

PhinGeneral PC Texas A&M, Bro Club Member

Jan 4, 2008
    Swamps of Jersey
    One thing to keep in mind is that restructuring contracts doesn't mean taking a pay cut in most all cases. It's simply restructuring the contract, which usually winds up putting more of a salary cap burden on the team in later years. The cap is expected to be about $133 million, which is about $8 million more than first projected and should give us about $45 million in cap space.

There should be no need to restructure either Wallace or Wheeler. You want to make it as cost-efficient as possible if you feel the need to get out of their contracts after this season.

16. Larryfinfan

I don't see Carroll as our #2 necessarily either, but someone who can fill in while Taylor and whoever they draft in the secondary develop. With Carroll and an improved Taylor we're doing good. With Carroll and one of the available FAs that are better than Carroll, but without one of those guys....I see Carroll coming back...Can we rely on Taylor to develop based on what we've seen of him ??

If they retain Keller, I don't see him replacing Clay, but adding to what we don't have (kind of a Gronk/Hernandez combo)...but it would only come, IMHO, with a 'prove me' contract... I still see a healthy Keller as better than Clay, but remember the plan was to have Clay add to what Keller brought last year, this year it could be the other way around...

I agree on JJ. He's had his chance, but replacing a LT, LG, RG and RT in one offseason may prove too much. We haven't seen anything from Thomas or any of the other OL to hope for much....I just hope that if they go that route, they don't over pay for another 'somewhat less than' journeyman OL, like JJ has proven to be...

MJD...can you spell headache ?? That's what he's been to the Jags since he got paid...not that his production (until last year) hasn't been ok, but do we need more locker room issues ?? And then remember that MJD has a lot of 'running back miles' on him...

17. Larryfinfan

On another note, it could be that the problems with the OL that we've had the last 2-3 years has been a by-product of the bully-gate stuff...maybe some of these guys aren't as bad as they have played so far because of the crap that was going on inside the locker room ?? Just a thought...I don't see any other way but to blow it up and start anew, but we'll see...

18. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    I don't think replacing our line is too much at all, btw. We're talking 4-5 players. Teams have done more in less time during a season. We don't need all-stars at all 4 positions and most teams don't have great players at all oline spots anyway.

I feel like we're over panicking, tbh.

19. Larryfinfan

Fin D, comes with the territory of being and Phins fan, I guess. I've watched this team for a long time and it seems since JJ came on board, we've had a mediocre to poor OL... Every year, the same things happen for us... This guy doesn't pan out, that guy gets injured, some rookie that we had high hopes for proves he can't really play, whatever...and that has been when we are just looking at one or possibly 2 replacements along the OL.... I'll feel very, very unsettled until FA is well along and we see what this team has/still has as to starters...

20. CitizenSnips

CitizenSnips hmm.

Nov 29, 2007
    PA
    These players would utilize jgwentworth if it were possible for them. Wallace delaying $3 million until next season for the sake of the team? I'd be shock. "It's my money and I need it now!"

I think zack martins the pick of he's there. It's really our only option I think. We need more olineman. It's depressing how horrible that unit is all around.

21. Limbo

Limbo Mad Stillz

Mar 21, 2013
    The DT thing is going to be so interesting.

I'll be very surprised if Starks or Soliai get more than Linval Joseph. Arthur Jones is in the mix as well. Both are younger and, especially in Joseph's case, improving every year. It's a strong FA group at inside DL, imo. And then you have the 4 first round DT prospects too. Jason Hatcher is coming off a big year. Henry Melton is younger and a nice player too, though the injury complicates things. I think Starks' and Soliai's deals will be more reasonable than usual because of the year they're hitting the market. Something to watch closely, imo.

22. CitizenSnips

CitizenSnips hmm.

Nov 29, 2007
    PA
    Soliai hit the open market once already and just ended up back with us anyway. The herald reported that his camp wants to stay in Miami, he probably knows this is going to happen

23. scotty_irnbru

scotty_irnbru Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2013
    Dundee, Scotland
    Hands up I know not a great deal about college football but I've tried to read about ol players who are about. Martin seems the most likely take. Someone said that he's a guard not a tackle, thats fine, how many times did RT get crushed through the middle. Most nfl pressure comes that way. I saw him described as a pro bowl potential guard. I'd be fine with that. Monroe - Martin - Pouncey - whomever - Collins. Make this happen please.

24. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    This! The Bears just did it last year I believe with 4 of 5 starters replaced. It is very doable.

Looking at the Super Bowl, the Seahawks line is really nothing special at all, and the Broncos went a good chunk of the season with backups at important spots like LT and C. We don't need world beaters here - just functional players who can open a few holes and buy Tannehill a few seconds. Tanne will be the key here - if he can work on his mobility (to prevent team from just teeing off on a statue) and throw accurately, quickly with a good read of the defense, the line can be average or even slightly below.

Part of it can be a threat too though right? If we cut him he wouldn't see the full contract and with the way he has played he might not see another that big. Not a great threat in this specific circumstance considering we have no real replacement and it would be an enormous cap penalty, but it could influence things just a bit.

25. Larryfinfan

That was a different Soliai. The guy has matured and learned his craft. He's a true 3-4 NT (think Sirigusa, Adams, etc), but we utilize him differently. I think we'll miss him when he's gone. But I don't see us giving Starks a big contract at his age, even tho he's better at his position and fits what Coyle likes to do along the DL better than Soliai. Question is, can OV, Odrick, Francis fill in where those guys were?? I'm not convinced...

26. Larryfinfan

Ok, let me clear something up...I'm not putting Soliai in the class yet of those guys, but that is the position he is best suited to...

27. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    I think the opposite of you. I think it's a weak free agent DT market. The fact that Arthur Jones, Linval Joseph and Henry Melton are the headliners outside of our guys strikes me as kind of pathetic.

Melton is severely undersized (only 265 lbs), very specialized and it showed this year as he sucked (at least according to PFF) in the 3 games in which he did play. He missed the other 13 games injured.

Arthur Jones played well this year according to PFF but it was his first significantly positive grade since being drafted and he's only played a total of 1523 snaps in his entire four year career, including playoffs. That's like two seasons' worth of snaps for a full time starter on the DL. He's not a physical specimen at 6'3" and 305 lbs, and teams will definitely have to worry about specialization issues as he's made his name as a 3-4 DE in Baltimore's multiple defense.

Then there's Linval Joseph, who is a physical specimen unlike the previous two and much like Paul Soliai. There's not as much of a specialization question with him. Joseph has been consistent during his career, but he hasn't necessarily been great. Among the DT/NT group (not including the 3-4 DEs), his PFF grades have been at a cumulative 44th percentile from 2010 to 2013.

For reference, Randy starks has been 21st percentile and Paul Soliai has been 32nd percentile.

The Dolphins might literally have not just the best but also the second best defensive tackle on the market. That strikes me as evidence of a poor market at the position and it's going to push up the values of their contracts. Stepping out of the whole metrics/PFF world for a moment, evidence of this fact could probably be found at the NFL Combine where Soliai and his agent were reported to be fielding a lot of interest from a lot of different teams. And he's our second best free agent at the position, so that's saying something.

28. scotty_irnbru

scotty_irnbru Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2013
    Dundee, Scotland
    Pitta signs for the ravens so Monroe will be tagged.

29. Larryfinfan

Bad news for us...

30. zwave21

zwave21 New Member

Dec 31, 2012
    I was hoping you were going to put some 2 cents in CK. Read all your stuff, always insightful and usually always remember a few players or stats that make me think other.

How do you view DT? Are you looking to bring someone in who would more resemble Solai or Starks. To me they are two totally different players and I believe that Odrick and Starks pretty much offer the same skill set in the fact they can play the run and get to the QB effectively. Solai is a run stuffing blocker eating mammoth.

Linval Joseph would be a great addition and Arthur Jones just due to him playing a 3-4 wasn't sure what technique he'd play as a 4-3 DT.

Henry Melton I am not a fan of too small and has had one real solid year of production.

In my mind there are 3 first round DT prospects I wouldn't mind having : Timmy Jernigan, Aaron Donald, and Louis Nix.