1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Potential Dolphins 2010

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by Big Red, Dec 1, 2009.

1. Conuficus

Conuficus Premium Member Luxury Box

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here
    Is he stout enough to handle the edge? PSU players historically tend to need at least a year of lower body work to become fulfilled players in this area. It's just the way their strength program is, or at least was.

The most recent example was Pozlusny, who needed to become stronger and quicker. he has done, but it was an issue early on.

2. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    I think you're still not feeling where I'm going with this. I want a tight end killer. Jason Taylor is not a tight end killer.

3. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Damn. I didn't know you guys liked Edds as much as I did. I think he's a great cover guy.

4. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008

Back to Matt Roth, who was a TE killer, against the run that is.

5. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Couldn't cover worth a damn. Might as well put any old DE over there if you're going to put Roth over there.

6. Conuficus

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here
    I think we are after the same thing, but we are explaining it differently. I want Edds to do the same things.

Taylor can cover for 5-8 yards at best, an even that is "general area" type coverage.

7. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008

Set the edge? I see him as a MLB. Interesting point about PSU, but if any conditioning program could put some size on him it's probably ours. Watching Ayodele and Crowder in pass pro makes me cringe sometimes, but at least Crowder got the pick on Sunday, great play. Hats off to Wake on that play, too.

If Lee turned out as well as Pozlunsky has, that would be great.

8. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    Lee is a MLB in a 3-4, and probably should be in a 4-3 too.

Everything you said about the strength training is true though. It'll take at least a year.

9. Conuficus

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here
    Doh.

I figured you were referring to him fo an OLB along the same lines as CK and I's conversation. My bad.

10. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008

Actually that was my bad, I was out of context of the conversation. Cheers.

Conuficus likes this.
  11. Conuficus

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here
    Well, you do show us up pretty regularly nowadays. Which isn't a bad thing,......except it makes me cry. :lol:

12. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    Granted he was a liability in pass pro. But he was chewing up TE's on 1st and 2nd downs with Charlie Anderson platooning in on 3rd down- I was ok with that set up. But he left that coverage hole when he was in, and that was troublesome, agreed.

I'm not hugely disappointed that he was waived, but I did see value in him. Plus he obviously pissed the team off. It makes me wonder how the team will handle the Ginn issue, contract and all, when the time comes. I wonder if they'll be willing to spend a roster spot on him when it seems pretty cleear that he's the guy who has to be replaced.

13. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Appreciate the kind comment but I'd kill to be as knowledgeable as you guys on the Draft. I've got a lot to learn.

14. Conuficus

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here
    Draft?

I was talking about creating players in Madden. :whistling:

alen1 likes this.
  15. BuckeyeKing

BuckeyeKing Wolves DYNASTY!!!!

Dec 6, 2007
    If we don't grab McClain or Spikes what are some late late round prospects for ILB?

16. jorser

jorser Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2008
    On Ginn IMO, it will be all about the ability to replace him with someone of similar or even better giddy up. The 5th WR will be the return guy, and I would think they would like to get a little more out of that guy as a WR as well, so I would think that sums up to Ginn geting some pretty stiff competition for his projected spot. Bottomline on WR's, including Ginn, is that only Hartline (#2) and Bess (#3- slot) are locks at this point for 2010 and the additons will all have to have speed first. Camarillo, Turner and a mid/late draft choice will likley battle it out for the #4 spot. I am hoping the free agent prize for 2010 is the #1 WR.

17. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    See, if we drafted Barwin in the 2nd we would have our Strong Side LB groomed and ready to go for next year and not have to worry about TE's continuing to tear us a new one..... So much for that idea. :no:.... LOL.
    Posted via Mobile Device

18. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    I'll just toss this out there apropos of nothing.

When I watch Brandon Spikes and Rolondo McClain play side-by-side, meaning I watch a game of one guy's and then watch a game of another's, cut up video of one guy's, then cut up video of the other's etc...I notice some contrasts.

1. Rolondo McClain really is NOT as physical a player as Brandon Spikes...in any way.
    2. He doesn't read the ball as quickly or consistently as Brandon Spikes.
    3. He is not as instinctive in coverage, reading the quarterback's eyes.
    4. Too often he turns like a barge, hips too high where Spikes can sink them and get himself out of trouble.
    5. He ends up on the ground too often, one way or another.
    6. There is no doubt that Spikes' motor is revving at a higher RPM, much more urgency.
    7. Brandon Spikes rushes the passer. Rolondo McClain is an amateur in comparison.
    8. Rolondo McClain is not prone to overpursuit, Brandon Spikes is.
    9. Rolondo McClain has better length and potential for dominating passing lanes.
    10. Rolondo McClain moves backward and forward very well.

Consider the gauntlet thrown. I know we've got some McClain fans in the audience. I think he's an overachiever that plays for a well coached Nick Saban defense. He's got better people up front that keep blockers off him, namely Terrence Cody. Brandon Spikes is much more intimately familiar with offensive linemen, he's been dealing with them more often and for longer than McClain and it shows. This year he seems able to put some of his pass rush principles in attacking OLs, into action in his play to play dealings with OLs instead of just when he's running downhill against them in pass rush. In other words on run plays and on plays where he is tracking the QB's eyes instead of rushing him, and he still has to deal with an OL trying to get in his face, he's doing a real good job of using his hands and churning his feet to keep that OL from locking onto him and he stays free to action on the ball.

I think McClain is a good player but you ask me right now which guy I take over the other and it's not something I really have to think too hard about. In Brandon Spikes I see a feistier and more advanced linebacker prospect.

Boik14 and RoninFin4 like this.
  19. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    When it comes to Ginn I'm referring specifically to his contract. If not for the slary cap hit I'd say that he's gone next year.

20. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    CK, did you get to watch the Bama-Miss game?
    Posted via Mobile Device

21. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    I believe so, but I'll have to re-check it to make sure.

ToddsPhins likes this.
  22. Boomer

Boomer Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 30, 2007
    You know, the thing that worries me most and has always worried me and unfortunately hasn't changed with him or his game are the following:

1) He doesn't possess a football players instinct. Rolando McClain has a God given instinct. Taylor doesn't. His athleticism in college helps make up for a lack of that but everyone's athletic in the big boy league.

2) He's fundamentally a poor tackler. He's not a wrap up, good technique take down artist. He's a head hunter, which is all well and good for You Tube but not so much for the pros. Watch him try and light Gerhart up and end up on his keester. There's a reason he was cited in congress as a potential future problem with the league's ongoing concussion issue.

23. Boomer

Nov 30, 2007
    Good, good player, who's going to get early 2nd round merit IMO, when all's said and done.

24. Big Red

Big Red Long Lasting Freshness

Oct 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    Love Edds. :up:

25. Big Red

Oct 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    The only reason I haven't included Barnes is because I haven't seen any Bowling Green games. I'll check him out in his bowl game. They play Idaho in the Humanitarian Bowl on December 30th. :up:

26. Big Red

Oct 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    Jon Beason and Ray Lewis were 1st round draft picks. Sharpton looks to be a mid-round pick. It might sound harsh but we would probably be better off keeping Crowder, Ayodele, and Torbor than wasting our 4th round pick on Sharpton.

Wideout is the hardest position to evaluate. For that reason alone Eric Decker might be as good a pick as any but he wouldn't be my first choice.

sports24/7 likes this.
  27. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Watch Iupati in that game. He's crazy good.

Big Red likes this.
  28. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Speaking of Iupati, his favorite team is the Dolphins and his favorite player that he's watched is Ricky Williams.

adamprez2003 likes this.
  29. Boomer

Nov 30, 2007
    If he doesn't end up a Steeler, I'll be surprised.

30. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    I don't know that taking a "true" linebacker and putting him on the line constantly like that is going to be using those kind of resources to the best of your ability.

What's the career model for a "true" OLB playing in a position like that? Mario Haggans? Ben Leber? Donnie Spragan even?

I agree completely with the idea of a "tight end killer" type OLB, but I disagree with the idea that Matt Roth's coverage skills were a deal breaker for the long term. Outside of a couple of the plays Peyton Hillis made in Denver last year, Roth was perfectly fine.

The "model" for a 3-4 OLB in coverage is about 10-20% of the snaps he is on the field jamming the tight end, dropping into a short zone/flats, or drawing man coverage vs. a #2 TE or FB.

I think it would be a whole lot easier to find a converted DE and taught him how to drop into coverage than it would finding a stand-up linebacker and teaching him how to be an effective edge-rusher vs. Tackles.

31. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    Here's the perfect athletic solution..... Ricky Sapp.... right Boomer? :wink2::lol:

32. Boomer

Nov 30, 2007
    I'd rather draft Ricky Martin.

33. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Why draft him, when you can just make him an owner?

34. gunn34

gunn34 I miss Don & Dan

Jan 5, 2008
    Oviedo FL
    Rolando McClain would be my first choice if he's there when we pick. I wouldn't even wait any amount of time or listen to swaps.

Big Red likes this.
  35. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    :lol: :angry: Why..... just b/c he's Latino and we're Miami? That's racist. :shifty:

36. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    a corner could take that role as well, someone like Javier Arenas...

37. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Arenas is feisty and I like how physical he is, but if he doesn't run well then I'm not sure I'd touch him because he doesn't look like he runs well and I think your corners either need to be big and athletic or just athletic to the extreme.

38. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Completely agree. Dead on IMO.

39. Boomer

Nov 30, 2007
    I think Arenas might turn into a very capable nickel corner and speical teamer with obvious return game talent. I like the way he attacks in the run game, although he has the lower half of a tailback so it's a little more understandable.

Big Red and ToddsPhins like this.
  40. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    I'm of the same sentiments. I'd love to see him in a Phins uni in this role.
    Posted via Mobile Device