1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pouncey's false starts???

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by BigDogsHunt, Nov 5, 2012.

1. BigDogsHunt

BigDogsHunt Enough talk...prove it!

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    Can someone explain to me the inconsistency of the calls that claimed Pouncey was false starting and drawing them off sides?

He does the exact same move each and every time prior to getting set and prior to snapping. He squats and pauses when Tannehill lifts his leg (which lots of QBs do and Center's do); and then waits and squats and sets the 2nd time prior to actual snap.

In fact I watched the game again, and prior games, and he is totally 100% consistent with his movement to get set and snap, and its only in the Colts game - and only if Colts jumped off sides - that refs said it was a false start. I know Baseball and Football dont always equate, but in this instance it to me like a pitcher coming to a set position in the stretch, and thus no balk if you are 100% consistent in how you come to the set position each and every time whether you try to pick off the runner, or throw a pitch to the batter. Its about being consistent and repeating consistently your personal pattern.

That to me is total BS what the refs were calling on him. If you are 100% consistent, and thus not getting called 100% of the time for a false start, how the heck can you be called for a false start because the DL didnt hold their water and in fact jumped off sides on their own.

BS calls. And cop outs from Refs and the Colts DL jumping the snap count.:pity:

Paul 13 and Aqua4Ever04 like this.
  2. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    I think what they were calling is when he snaps his head out of his crotch back to normal position, after looking at Tannehill between his legs.

3. BigDogsHunt

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    Rewatch it on ones they didnt call, mainly because no Colt was "drawn" offsides...he is 100% consistent on his actions on the non-snap set as well as the actual snap set.....100% consistent. The film doesnt support that he did something different on the ones called.

the only difference is that the DL jumped so they called it on Pouncey.

If anyone has the .gifs to compare please post...cause the ones they called didnt match up to any head snap or body shake compared to all the snaps they didnt call it on.

4. ToddPhin

ToddPhin Premium Member Luxury Box Club Member

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    The refs will be eagerly looking to check their mailbox after this game.

5. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    According to a post on Twitter, Pouncey was told not to do that. Everytime he did that and Colts jumped, they flagged him.

Pandarilla likes this.
  6. BigDogsHunt

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    So they don't call it if no DL jumped and he did it? And again, not sure what "it" is they say he did, vs what he actually did...but he was 100% consistent in his actions. I do not see any head snapping action that is being alluded to. I see his squat and not snap and then squat and actually snap.

Doesn't it sound illogical to only call a false start when the D jumps, and not simply a false start (like for any other OL player) regardless of whether DL jumps or not? Something isnt adding up with what he "supposedly" did, and when they would call it.

7. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    on the flag play near the end of the game he most certainly snaps his head from a tucked position,( he's looking at Ryan between his legs and then snaps it back into A solid fundamental position) now whether or not that's illegal in the way he did it is whats in question I believe.

8. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I believe the rule is vague, something like a movement intended to induce the D... I also believe that he has done the same thing on ever snap his entire career.

Pandarilla and MikeHoncho like this.
  9. BigDogsHunt

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    But he does that exact same move all the time as part of his consistent pattern of play......

10. BigDogsHunt

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    Exactly....that what was so frustrating.

11. Trowa

Trowa A world of pain

May 8, 2008
    I don't recall the movements that led up to the first false start call. However, his head movement did seem to me far more pronounced on the late flag.

12. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    That's true, it shouldn't be anyones business how he gets his head back, if he wants to do with an explosive movement it should be allowed

13. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Thee...Ohio State University
    The league wants its new star in the playoffs.....ofcourse they are going to get the benefit of the doubt.

14. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    I have seen it called on other players. Not often at all. But I have.

15. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    Fix was in for Pagano.

Pandarilla likes this.
  16. 2xBlown

2xBlown Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 23, 2008
    There is a shot I saw from straight up center that showed his arm twitch too. It was different than most. More pronounced and had a degree of suddeness to it that the other ones didnt.

17. Onehondo

Onehondo Senior Member Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Chesapeake, Virginia
    I have seen it not called on a lot of occasions also.

18. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Oh sh&$, I remember when he was coming out of college I commented on how he goes thru this process of looking at the Qb between his legs right before he snaps, and whether or not it was a "tell" for the opponent..From what I saw in this game he's just doing it a lot more forcefully.,

19. Lt Dan

Lt Dan Season Ticket Holder

Mar 23, 2008
    Eglin AFB, Fl
    All centers look through their legs and then bring their head up prior to the snap to look at their blocking assignments. I am thinking Pouncey SNAPS his head up instead on bringing it up slowly like most. Perhaps this is why he is being flagged??

20. smahtaz

smahtaz Pimpin Ain't Easy

When was he told? He's had the same pre-snap routine for 23 games without incident.

21. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Some do it differently, some pause a beat or two after they get their head back to proper position, what I saw in college is as soon as Pouncey brings it into position the ball is snapped..so if I was a defender I could key on that.

22. VanDolPhan

VanDolPhan Club member Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Hamilton, Ontario Canada
    Actually the one call was totally legit. It wasn't about his butt movement he usually does. His arm twitched and his butt actually twitched (nothing to do with the up/down thing he does). I mentioned it when it happened in the game thread.

23. Paul 13

Paul 13 Chaotic Neutral & Unstable Genius Staff Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Colts were definitely keying on his snap too which only made the false starts more significant. Of course if we could throw/block a screen that might actually slow down their edge rush but i digress... i've seen this called on one other team that we happened to be playing... forget who it was... it's rare though. And to see it called on the game's most important drive smells rotten.

Do we make an adjustment is the question I have... Do we see Incog looking back instead of Pouncey for the qb to lift his foot.

24. Paul 13

Paul 13 Chaotic Neutral & Unstable Genius Staff Member

Dec 3, 2007
    his butt twitched?

:couch:

maybe he should play tight end..

:shifty:

25. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    inb4 someone else says some weak joke about DJ and Pouncey's bubble

.....and Sparano fist pumping field goals

......and Ted Ginn's family

.......and Zach Thomas to safety.......

26. CRAZYFACE

CRAZYFACE Active Member

Sep 13, 2011
    England
    Stupid rule! The guy doing the snap should be able to move as much as he requires to snap the ball. If any of his team mates move before the ball is snapped, or the defence, THEN a penalty should be applied. You are discussing a players involentary (possibly) movements, and he is being called for them. This is obviously plain stupid to be called a penalty for. In Rugby Union, at a scrummage, the offence cannot push, or defence for that matter, move before the ball in put into play by the scrum half (man doing the snap, in effect).