1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Practice tonight

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Butters, Aug 1, 2011.

1. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    I have never seen so many people hoping a team fails because they don't like the QB.
    It shows the mental capacity of this fan base.

xphinfanx, ToddsPhins and slickj101 like this.
  2. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    I've never seen so many people making straw man arguments. If people were hoping he fails, they would have boo'd him before practice even started.

3. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    He actually keeps that sign in his back pocket for use at need.

finyank13 likes this.
  4. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

Suck for Luck.
    Ghastly for Barkley.
    etc., etc.

Some guy has a whole list on his sig and Suck for Luck is a common theme on this board.

ToddsPhins likes this.
  5. Alex13

Alex13 Tua Time !!! Club Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Berlin,Germany
    bleedin for weeden :shifty:

ToddsPhins and CaribPhin like this.
  6. Frayser

Frayser Barstool Philosopher

Dec 4, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    Your analogy fails to capture the point I have stressed in every single one of my posts. This is a practice. The team is trying to get ready for the season. It has a shortened window in which to do that. The only people out there who should be criticizing and bringing negative vibes into that environment are the coaches. That's it.

Nobody is saying that Chad Henne should not be prepared for this. Nobody is saying that, even though he is a public figure, he should be shielded from all criticism. What we are saying is that engaging in this sort of behavior at practice accomplishes very little and, in reality, is probably detrimental to the team if anything. And that really says something about the fans. There is a line that needs to be drawn here at some point. We are a passionate fan base. And people get pissed off when they think it is being take in the wrong direction or being set up to fail. But no matter how much you think that may be the case, a true fan should never take action that is detrimental to the team. And disrupting a practice is doing that. Booing a guy that is trying to figure out a new system, not even playing with his entire supporting cast, is doing that. These guys have done what they could during the lockout. But it wasn't like they could just call Brian Daboll up and pick his brain about something that wasn't making sense. They've got a short window to get this **** figured out, and the last thing they need are a bunch of ******* fans booing at one of the first scrimmages.

7. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

Then I'll go to their jobs and start booing.

ToddsPhins likes this.
  8. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Well, heading into a season with questions at Qb, and untested talent at Rb means we could go either way Sir Deej, Gates has me a bit pumped about ST, as does Trusnik, to me to obvious upgrades to that unit along with Edds, like the additional speed on Defense as well.

Not sure what to make of Vern Carey's situation, we all have speculated on it this offseason, suspect the long knife is out for the big man.

9. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    Damn straight...... Too many idiots running around everywhere not to.
    Zero tolerance for ignorance. If I would have been at the stadium last night I would have been punching these *** holes.
    It is embarrassing to be a Dolphin fan after last night.

ToddsPhins likes this.
  10. dolfan22

dolfan22 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Some people perhaps , I think it is more an indictment on the regime and that they haven't addressed the deficit at QB specifically and playmakers in genneral . Henne as Henning was is just the target for the legitimate frustrations imo.

We have had the chance to add above average/elite talent at positions other than QB , and we haven't done that as assertively as we could have. For me , this was an unprecedented bargain shopping window and I wanted Miami to add players that are elite if not overall ,then at least in some major areas.

For example , we could have added Olsen for no acquisition cost and we don't have a player that can bring what he brings imo , also a 25 year old Sidney Rice would make the receiving corp very good if not elite and thatisn't the level we are at currently again imo.

ToddsPhins likes this.
  11. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    Bingo!

12. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    This 4th practice stuff is really off the mark.

What I see is people that seem to disagree with fans having a voice and holding the team accountable. They try and get around that by saying oh well this in particular was not the correct venue or time, etc...but on that basis, when IS the appropriate tiem, venue?

Fact of the matter is, fans don't have very many opportunities to have a voice that can be heard. That's just a fact. Their voices are heard through their wallets and ticket sales, but if ticket sales are down significantly I'm sure the Dolphins will interpret that to be solely a function of the lockout. Otherwise, what odes the fan do? What CAN he do? He complains at the water cooler, he calls in to talk radio, he tweets at various reporters, and he comes onto a message board and complains. Meanwhile, the team completely insulates themselves from these voices. They don't care what's on twitter. They don't care what's on message boards. They're not listening to the talk radio. They even insulate themselves from the local media members that might otherwise tell them what's going on in the fanbase, with their nazi-ish media access policies. They purposely insulate themselves from these voices because they've got to "do what they do" or whatever you call it.

So when does a fan REALLY have a chance to be heard, during an off season everyone feels is heading the wrong direction?

You bet your *** this was the first opportunity for them to really be heard. And it would seem various fans took that opportunity to be heard. Cheers to them. Cheers to freedom of speech, freedom to assemble, freedom to demonstrate. I don't know if they were right or wrong. But I damn well believe in their right to be heard by the people at the top that seem to do everything they can not to hear them.

4th practice? Irrelevant. Totally irrelevant. Had nothing to do with the 4th practice. Didn't even have much if anything to do with how the team looked in this 4th practice. Although, they almost certainly could have shut those people up by going out there and actually looking good, throwing good passes, etc. But even so, the booing and chanting wasn't about that.

The only time I've heard booing that seemed inappropriate to me was when the home crowd booed Daunte Culpepper heading into halftime of his very first home game. That seemed premature. But you know what? THEY WERE RIGHT! The Dolphins had just made perhaps the worst decision in franchise history, and the fans got it right. They knew something was terribly wrong, and they saw that their voices were heard. Good for them.

schmolioot and finyank13 like this.
  13. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    First off, you say this was just a practice. But it wasn't. It was a night practice held in the STADIUM. It was an exhibition FOR THE FANS. It was exactly the kind of forum you say the fans should reserve the voicing of their displeasure.

Preseason games are meant to prepare them for the regular season. Does that mean fans shouldn't boo at preseason games either?

Hell, during regular season games, the teams are out there actively trying to win. Does that mean they shouldn't boo then?

How far does it go before you realize that what you advocate is for fans to just shut up and voice their displeasure quietly, by not showing up to games?

But of course, when that happens, we'll see stern lectures from people saying they're ashamed to be a Dolphins fan because we don't even show up to games and us not showing up is actively helping the team fail because we have no home field advantage, etc.

schmolioot likes this.
  14. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    If I were the team I would shut down all practices and exclude the crybaby fans until the games.
    Sure you can get up and chant when you have something negative to say.
    I wish the fans had that that kinda of energy in a positive way on game day. But nope don't happen.
    Face it..... Dolphin fans suck.

ToddsPhins likes this.
  15. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    That's a ridiculously off base analogy.

16. Destroyer

Destroyer There for every play.

Oct 25, 2010
    Maryland
    [HR][/HR]
    Sandra Bullock was ****ing crazy in that movie. Alcohol is one hell of a substance. Made the girl run around and bite people.

17. Section126

Section126 We are better than you. Luxury Box

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    what if they boo when the season starts? what then?

finyank13 likes this.
  18. FinNasty

FinNasty Alabama don’t want this... Staff Member Club Member

Dec 1, 2007
    I still very much respect CK even though I disagree with some of his current opinions.

19. Frayser

Dec 4, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    Then, honestly, I think you're seeing what you want to see.

Games, public events, fan forums, newspaper opinion pieces and comment boards, the team's webpage, the team's Facebook page, twitter, after practice . . . basically anywhere that does not involve disrupting a practice when the team is trying to get ready for a season.

ToddsPhins and slickj101 like this.
  20. Frayser

Dec 4, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    I don't really have a problem with that. If, say, Chad Henne comes out and goes 0-3 and we have to punt, I'd still say it was a bit premature. But at least it's not interfering with the team's preparation.

21. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    It is pretty apt. Plus it would be really funny. "Boo Edith! That was a terrible copy!"

CaribPhin likes this.
  22. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    You should go to his house and boo him.

Killerphins likes this.
  23. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    :lol:

I WANT A NEW GURU HERE AT THE SITE AND I WANT IT NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:tantrum::cry:

24. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    we want boomer! We want boomer! We want boomer!

slickj101 and Ophinerated like this.
  25. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    I didn't chant, I wouldn't have chanted that if I was there, BUT I get why....I am all for Henne getting one more crack at this thing...I am actually on here saying keep Henne over Orton, and save the third because it is clear Denver doesn't want him or can afford him so why waste the 3rd on him? A 3rd usually nets you a starter with some development...

26. Frayser

Dec 4, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    It wasn't a practice. It was a night practice. Got it. How many days have they been practicing again? You can try and distinguish this all you want. It was still the third or fourth day of practicing, and it was still a practice.

The rest of your post is just the same straw men crap I already answered above. I am in no way attempting to deny the fans a voice. I'm simply saying that probably the worst venue for them to utilize that voice is at a practice, particularly an early one during a shortened offseason.

Look, I'm not going to continue this because it will inevitably get ugly. It seems to me that you made up your mind a long time ago that this team will not win with Chad Henne at quarterback. If that's the case, then it only makes sense that you would discount the one point I have consistently made throughout this thread . . . that these actions are detrimental to the team's preparation for the season. Why should you care about that if you've made up your mind that we're not going to win anyway?

It is what it is. I'm not going to continue fighting an old battle under new colors. Chad Henne is our starting quarterback right now. Booing him at an early practice in a shortened offseason when the offense is missing guys and trying to learn a new system is putting one's own opinions above what is best for the team.

ToddsPhins likes this.
  27. DOLFANMIKE

DOLFANMIKE FOOTBALL COACH 32 YEARS Luxury Box

Mar 22, 2008
    California
    Thats exactly why I said the Offensive staff needed to do some extra preping. Moreover the head coach should have ensured that Henne had a strong showing. This is not difficult to do.

ToddsPhins and padre31 like this.
  28. DOLFANMIKE

Mar 22, 2008
    California
    Exactly, thats why the offensive staff should have put together a practice plan of attack that would have enhanced Henne's chances to perform well. I'm guessing they just rolled out there and didn't put much thought into it. However, if they did and his throws were that bad that's equally disturbing. There's no secret about what we need to work down here to advance as contenders.

ToddsPhins and padre31 like this.
  29. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    you and those fans seem to not be able to differentiate the past 30 years from the last 3...not fair, I know you are a true fan so its ok, I get it, but booin at practice is classless, but its ok, cause I wanna see how the QB reacts.

30. DOLFANMIKE

Mar 22, 2008
    California
    Maybe its just me, but if I were the one deciding on how to run practice, and had the same situation going on as Miami does with Henne, I'd have taken extra time to ENSURE that today's practice went well for Chad Henne. I think it's important for the fans to be backing him. I think it's important to put him in situations where he will in fact be sucessful. It's really disappointing to hear how poorly he did today. Either the coaches didn't have him ready, or they didn't take the extra time to ensure he'd look good, or they did prepare him and did think it through and he's that bad. Either way it's not a very good start to the season. Our team's poor offensive preparation has been a problem since Sparano got here.

ToddsPhins and dolfan22 like this.
  31. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

Then I'll go to their job training and boo.

ToddsPhins likes this.
  32. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Yep, to me one of the real faults of this regime is they have tin ears at times, they do not realize that fans WANT to support what they are doing and instead we get sort of bland, uninspired stuff that focuses on the technical aspects of things regardless of outcomes.

Sometimes, style really does matter more then substance, they do not seem to "get" that fact of life.

33. JMHPhin

JMHPhin Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 27, 2007
    Ohio
    I disagree, the 4th practice is the 4th practice. Expecting perfection in practice is ridiculous. Booing and expressing dissatisfaction is one thing chanting we want Orton is petty and childish, it isnt holding anyone accountable, it isnt setting notice for anything other than your a petty little child with an ego that cant take not having your opinion validated. Booing expresses dissatisfaction, chanting for a specific qb is petty

This thread and fanbbase is ridiculous. This whole thing about not having a voice and implying that fans should sit and cheer no matter what is a joke. alot people need to get over their own ego.

As if this regime gives a rats arse what you think about not getting Orton. Yes this the 1st shot to express your dissatisfaction, so what? because you can doesnt mean you should.

If it didnt have anything to do with teh practice last night it makes you look even more childish. You want a choice, choose what team you follow. You dont have to like the moves they make, ultimately they are held accountable for teh choices they make. They also know they have to win this year or they are gone, that is clear as day, they dont need fans telling them that, the owner already did.

Basically those fans accomplished nothing and came out looking petty by chanting we want Orton

34. DOLFANMIKE

Mar 22, 2008
    California
    Actually, practice is where you demonstrate that you have prepared properly and executed the scheme to perfection. You don't wait until game day to do it right and expect to be any good. My main gripe with Sparano for his tenure here is how poorly our Offensive prep has been. So far it looks like more of the same, especially in terms of coaching our QB. Now if they are doing a bang up job coaching the QB and he's that bad it's still the staffs fault for not bringing in a better player in FA or the draft. Simply put we are on a short time line this off season. We can't waste time. I had hoped Daboll could change that culture.

35. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    TBH Dmike, you made a believer out of me about that one, at first I psshawed it, 3 yrs later I pay close attention to it.

Were is the crispness? The Urgency? Execution?

DOLFANMIKE likes this.
  36. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    I disagree with our Coach Mike, I want it to be tough, I want it ugly, no coddling, no special treatment, because if I remember, he didn't show himself very well last year in practice or preseason, then came out in the first 10 games of the season and played as well as anyone on offense not named Jake Long, firing lasers all over the field...I watched the tape over and over, Chad Henne was not our problem why he lost those football games, if we had a balanced team around him it would of overcome some of the typical mistakes a first year starter makes.

BOO YOUR *** OFF MOTHER GRABBERS!!!

Whatta you gonna do Chad? Shut'em up, come out focused, slap some asses, get in some faces...DO SOMETHIN!!!

37. dolfan22

dolfan22 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Practice doesn't make perfect , perfect practice makes perfect.

38. JMHPhin

Nov 27, 2007
    Ohio

Look I agree I would love to see the offense look crisper and yes at some point accuracy is accuracy. But without the whole picture I just cant see judging. It is a new offense, new routes, new reads, how much was timing or reads between qb and receiver being off teh culprit?

I dont have any issue with booing, none, it is part of teh deal, you sign up for that when you decide to play. Chanting for Orton is my isssue, it is childish

39. JMHPhin

Nov 27, 2007
    Ohio
    By the end of practices, at the beginning expecting perfection is unrealistic

DOLFANMIKE likes this.
  40. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    I don't get how, and that is a little unjust? Honestly Killa you are from the "if the guy isn't performing, skin him alive" platform....Crowder you HATED the guy, but stats show their defense was considerably better with him, but again you crushed him every chance on here.....Henne whether his fault or not has made it a priority to throw the football to the opposite team, and all is good?....honestly who cares, it is fans who are voice their displeasure....

Clark Kent likes this.