1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Practice tonight

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Butters, Aug 1, 2011.

1. DOLFANMIKE

DOLFANMIKE FOOTBALL COACH 32 YEARS Luxury Box

Mar 22, 2008
    California
    This is what I do for a living. Specifically run an Offense. I have been shocked to the point of embarrassment watching our offensive prep under Sparano. His BS of "oh we are saving the real package for the regular season" has been 3 years of uncoached QB's and an offense that doesn't use motion, shifts, etc with any consistency to enhance our play-makers. I've been sick over it. We are better on offense than the results we have been given. It falls completely on Sparano. We are SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO easy to defend. Daboll is our only chance, and I don't know if he is going to have the stuff it takes to work us through this mess.

And as tough as it is to believe after making that type of comment, I like Tony Sparano for the Dolphins. But I'm starting to have serious doubts that he doesnt get it.

ToddsPhins, CaribPhin and padre31 like this.
  2. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    That is also a good point.

BOO KILLERPHINS! WE NEED A NEW TROLL!

Clark Kent and finyank13 like this.
  3. DOLFANMIKE

Mar 22, 2008
    California
    I think thats what I just said! Glad you agree. In 26 years now coaching, I've never had a team that doesn't prepare at practice and demonstrate perfection go out and suddenly accomplish that feat on gameday. Why would they? If a team can't do it at practice they are not likely to do so gameday either.

Lets not forget some things related to this too.
    - These guys are pro's (players and coaches) who supposedly come to the team with certain basic skills and knowledge. It's not like we need to be taught route basics or how to catch a football. Or how to take a handoff.

- These guys are not going to 6 classes like when they were in school or going to work and playing the game afterwards. THIS IS ALL THEY DO. They should demonstrate a certain level of success, even if the Defense is ahead of the offense.

- Specificly to Henne: Why so many poor throws? No excuses!

- Specificly to Sparano: Have you not learned yet that your offensive structure is your weakness as a coach. It's not really a problem having a problem spot unless you refuse to deal with it. It is not going away until you manually fix it. Practice the motions, shifts, and schemes that you are going to use in the games. Going out riding the old vanilla crap isn't going to get it done. It's a joke Tony Sparano to watch what you call an offensive practice. Get the ball to our playmakers coach or you are gone!

- Daboll: grow some balls and tell Sparano to let you do your job. Step in and get it done. This could be the job that makes your career. There are some weapons. Bring us a scheme that works for the talent we have.

ToddsPhins and dolfan22 like this.
  4. Samphin

Samphin Κακό σκυλί ψόφο δεν έχει

I think I am about ready to boo each and everyone of you on this board. BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! That one was for Griddles.

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Stitches

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Unluckyluciano

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

MikeO

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Muck

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Juan Huron

5. GridIronKing34

GridIronKing34 Silently Judging You

Nov 22, 2007
    Denver, CO
    WOOOO I was mentioned.

+1 for popularity.

ToddsPhins and JMHPhin like this.
  6. JMHPhin

JMHPhin Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 27, 2007
    Ohio
    I get the booing, i dont get the chants at all. But that is just me.

7. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    :lol: when does Dolphins Survivor start....we need to battle again DOOOOOOOOPREEEEEEEEE?

8. JMHPhin

Nov 27, 2007
    Ohio
    I get the booing, it is teh nature of the beast, it comes with sports. I wouldnt have booed a practice, but that is my choice, I dont fault booing, I just dont agree with the POrton chant, it makes the fan base come off as petty.

Booing voices displeasure and says this is unacceptable. Chanting for Orton implies it doesnt matter what they do, you want Orton no matter what

Frayser likes this.
  9. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    That is true, however they are rarely perfect at first.

Deleberate practice with steady improvement makes perfect.

10. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    I wouldn't boo at a practice. Unlike a game, being able to go to a practice is a gift from the team. At anytime the team could take back the gift.

ToddsPhins and slickj101 like this.
  11. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    plus not to mention, in a more compact and expedited preseason than most others, I would think preparation is even more relevant....we will see because their shortcomings will indeed show....Coach FP mettle will be tested right off the bat with NE, Houston, Cleve, SD, and the Jets...if they gaffe all this they could be looking at 1-5 right off the bat....all of these practices are so much bigger than you think, especially since they have a new OC, and scheme....

12. GridIronKing34

GridIronKing34 Silently Judging You

Nov 22, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Well I don't think you can change the culture of a team in 2 weeks. It's not like there was a lockout preventing Daboll of getting things done sooner.

13. Clark Kent

Clark Kent Fighter of the Nightman

May 9, 2008
    How about last year when the fans took up "feed the wolf" got the stadium to howl for the team? I thought that was pretty ****ing cool on a few levels, one being the fans got to reach out in a big way to support the team. That was positive...

Bpk likes this.
  14. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Well, that is a bit more detailed then what I was thinking...:lol:

All I want is the ball to come out on time, hit the Receiver in stride and on target and the catch to be made, each time, every time, just a very basic, low level of performance and we just do not see it happening very often, typically it is "two nice throws, one drop" and it drives me nutz.

No rhythm to what we do, no sense of playcall=lineup=snap the ball=execute, time after time after time.

DOLFANMIKE likes this.
  15. JMHPhin

Nov 27, 2007
    Ohio
    I get that, the 4th practice I wouldnt boo. But booing is part of the game, every athlete understands this. When fans are seeing the same thing they have always saw, combined with moves that may not be fully understood, it brings a level of frustration. I understand the frustration and the demanding of better play, we all want the Phins to challenge for real. Booing is part of the game, always has been. Whether you or I would doesnt matter, it is part of the game. Chanting we want Orton is childish, doesnt express displeasure, doesnt make the FO acquire a player you want, it just makes the fans look childish IMO

16. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    Booing is part of the game, however during a game you paid to be there.

Even if you paid to go to practice the team can take that way at anytime.

ToddsPhins and CaribPhin like this.
  17. DOLFANMIKE

Mar 22, 2008
    California
    Another reply to this. As fans, if we don't CONSISTENTLY see our team practice and look crisp on offense, play at a high tempo (which requires EVERYONE to know his job), and execute to perfection (demonstrating mastery of the scheme) how can we ever have confidence as fans and have positive / high expectations for our team. This embarrasses me. It's very frustrating to watch someone fill a bag with undisciplined crap with poor timing and never practice a professional scheme. Then they want to sell it to me as a bag of gold that I should be eager to watch on Sunday.

If we have a sound practice plan and demonstrate that our team practices it well, then we go out and execute well on Sunday, I'd be happy with the results. But we never demonstrate any mastery of our own small scheme. As you said later in another post, we catch even throw and catch pass routes. Does Tony Sparano understand the concept of "being dialed in?" No great team ever got there without it.

18. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

To be fair, Nolan, Sparano, and Ireland agreed with KP. They didn't even try to trade the guy. Just cut him straight up.

19. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    Because there was another option in Burnett.....which was a no brainer...

20. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    Two of them also signed him to a three yar contract.

21. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    And you expect this after 4 practices with a completely new offense and new players.

Yea, that's reasonable.

22. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Agree, have not seen it, though we have not gotten to the staged drives portion of practices with first teamers and second teamers and what have you, but I now understand the sense you are trying to convey as that should happen with every unit, from first thru third team players.

How else can players be graded on their execution of their assignments and thusly leap frog the guy on the squad ahead of them?

Watch Pat Devlin will do exactly that, I suspect his football IQ is quite high and guys make plays for him.

23. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

Two things:

1) Is there no Tuesday practice? Not a peep about it anywhere?

2) After least year, I hate to say that I feel like having no offeseason HELPS us. Why? This coaching staff actually over-coached some of the players last year, and worries about minutiae. I think them NOT having time to be super critical, and having to just get 'er built sloppy and messy may let the players' natural ability shine through more.

24. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    So you want Henne to complete 58% of his passes for 2900 yards, 18 TDs, 12 INTs, and a 79 QB Rating?
    Because if we're apples to apples, those were Orton's 4th year numbers.
    Yup, Henne has no shot at playing better than that <sarcasm>.

25. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    No practice today

26. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

Hence Crowder not being that good. Clear upgrade and they cut him second day. Not even a restructure.

The best option that year as Bart Scott who ran after his coach to Baltimore. The next year they gave Dansby the highest (at the time) contract for an ILB. The next year, Crowder is gone and Burnett gets paid. They re-signed Crowder because we had no other options, but they seemed to always plan to get rid of him. That's one thing fans don't like. Plans that don't have us drinking from the abundant Franchise QB well and immediate 24-0 (how it seems) seasons.

27. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    I would like the 18 TDs to 12 INTS

Stitches and Stringer Bell like this.
  28. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    18-12 TD-INT ratio would have been great last season.

29. Bpk

I agree, Mike.

That said, the two times last year when Tony said we had the BEST practices we had had in THREE YEARS were the two weeks we got humiliated on the field. So I'm not sure if it works with this bass-ackwards team.

30. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    If Crowder was as terrible as KP said, then there were a lot of options. The truth is Crowder is much better than KP gives him credit for.

finyank13 likes this.
  31. Bpk

It would have been 9-7.

32. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    It is slick, this is how guys are weeded out quickly, you know your job or the guy who does know it takes it away from you so you'd better learn your job quicker then the other guy and maintain your edge over them.

33. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    And when are these rookies and new players supposed to be learning their jobs?

Nowish?

ToddsPhins likes this.
  34. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

Oh I agree he is better than what KP says, but others believe Henne is better than those fans think. I'm one of them. Do you see why it would hypocritical to slap down one opinion over the other opinion

ToddsPhins likes this.
  35. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    Nope, not at all. Unless it is hypocritical to have opinions.

36. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    I said I hope for 18/13 this year.

37. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    How do we know? Probably because we all have eyes along with a higher level of intelligence than say...... primates...... although a monkey could likely understand Henne wasn't put in a favorable position to succeed.

You're right...... QB's have a much better chance of improving & developing on the sideline while a wildcat formation replaces him inside FG range & the redzone.

Predicatable 5 step drops to where defenses can sit on it is incredibly beneficial for success..... especially when defenders tell you so after games.

Playing with half a dozen practice squad guys, no ground game, and no LEGIT vertical threat is exactly what every young QB hopes for.

Prioritizing possession type WRs, TEs, and backs is exactly what you want for a strong armed QB suited for a spacing offense with more spread formations.

An OC publicly stating that he has NOT altered the playbook despite having a new QB? Yeah, that's conducive for success.

38. Stringer Bell

Mar 22, 2008
    We were talking about last night's practice.

ToddsPhins likes this.
  39. DOLFANMIKE

Mar 22, 2008
    California
    No, I expect it after 3 years.

Is that reasonable?

I've learned that whatever you do out on that field needs to end a success at the end of the day or you are heading in the wrong direction my friend. A team everyday is either improving or regressing. Period. Sparano has no urgency to fix our offense.

Or how about some more of what I already said Slick:

Are Pro's not supposed to come in with certain skills and base knowledge? When is your timeline for actually "looking like a professional" I'm curious? A month, a year? 3 years? 5 years? how long exactly before our QB is supposed to be able to throw a pass route to our WR for a completion at a % where the average person thinks it was a successful practice.

Are successful professional teams always having slow starts and need time to learn to practice like pros? How long does it take before we can expect a quality practice in your opinion? A month, a year? 3 years? How long? I guess with all their other busy things going on in life they just havent had time to organize a quality practice plan and execute it, despite being "pros'

After 4 practices and several meetings I'd say most people in my profession that are any good at it would say that's well into reasonable time to expect a quality practice from coaches and players. Anyone that doesn't think so probabally hasn't played or coached on a team that was any good. BTW - a month from now if things go the same as they have for 3 seasons I'm looking forward to seeing your perspective on how we should look then. Because literally nothing we are doing now is going to move us anywhere in the direction of offensive success. Been there... seen that!

finyank13, padre31 and Bpk like this.
  40. Stringer Bell

Mar 22, 2008
    That would have been better. And we most likely wouldn't have had offensive players calling out the QB, which is never a good thing, especially when you don't give that QB any competition.