1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pregame Thoughts From Arrowhead: Dolphins @ Chiefs

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Vengeful Odin, Dec 21, 2008.

1. Vengeful Odin

Vengeful Odin Norse Mod

Dec 2, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    As some of you may or may not know, I am onsite for today's game in Kansas City against the Chiefs. Mrs. Odin and I checked in late yesterday evening to our hotel near the stadium. The view from our room is great; both Kaufman Stadium (home of the up and coming KC Royals) and Arrowhead Stadium are clearly visible from our hotel room. Here's a shoddy camera phone pick, just to give you an idea. (I'll post the good pictures from our digital camera either later tonight or when I get back to Manhattan)

[​IMG]

Last night was a lot of fun as we just hung out at the local bar housed within the facilities of the hotel. Three things immediately stand out to me:

1. There are a lot of Dolphins fans in town for this game, at least from what I can tell from the limited view I've had so far. The bar last night was packed with pretty much nothing but Miami fans - and that's great to see. I don't expect us to take over the stadium, but I don't think it outside the realm of possibility to see a 25% / 75% split among fans, particularly if it remains as cold as it is.
    2. Zach Thomas, far and away here at the hotel, remains the most popular Dolphin in terms of jersey representation. I've seen about 12 Thomas Jerseys, a couple of Ricky jerseys, and even a Stoyanovich jersey. I'm surprised that I haven't seen a Brown, Porter, or even Marino jersey, at least not yet. For the game today, I'll be rocking the '84 Marino throwback in Aqua.
    3. It's hard to understate just how cold it is today. I went outside briefly and immediately came back inside. I don't think it will affect our team all that much, this type of weather is really what they've been built for. It's also breezier than you might think - from the outside it doesn't look like there's a lot of wind, but when you get out in it, it's certainly cold. Honestly, I think the weather might affect the Chiefs more, as they're a spread team now, and I don't know how Thigpen is going to handle the cold.

Mrs. Odin and I had planned on walking to the stadium, but our hotel actually offers shuttle service to the stadium starting at 10:00 a.m. - so we will probably take advantage of that and stay out of the weather as much as possible. We're still going to head over to the stadium around 11:00 or so - that way we can get a little bit of tailgating in before the game starts.

I'm excited to see the game tonight, I've been up for over 2 hours, couldn't sleep because I'm so wound up. This is my favorite type of game, because I absolutely love this kind of weather - our high school state championship game was played in identical conditions - and can't wait to see the game today.

I'll be back later with post game thoughts, and I'll try to collect my thoughts on what I saw live and how it differed from what all of you saw on TV.

TiP54, ascii, finsmx and 13 others like this.
  2. RGF

RGF THE FINSTER Club Member

Nov 24, 2007
    NY
    For a "shoddy" phone pic., its quite impressive.:hi5:

Have a great time,you and the Mrs.-

And remember,alcohol gives you a false sense of warmth so you drink your hot chocolate and I`ll drink enough alcohol for the both of us, while watching the game from my warm toasty couch. :up:

Actually,I`m a bit jealous- I wish I was there freezing my *** off instead.

Vengeful Odin likes this.
  3. Fin Fan In Cali

Fin Fan In Cali Dolphin fan since 1970 Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    So. Cal
    Thanks brother!:up:

4. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    Have fun man. Take a lot of pics of our victory.

Make sure you get a few of Ronnie's big TD run and Porter's 2 sacks.

GISH and Vengeful Odin like this.
  5. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    Thanks man!! Hope you have a great time today! Hope we pull off a win for ya!

6. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    stay warm brother! thanks for the info....good to hear about all the dolfans! looks like you made the right choice in hotel :lol:

7. Cosmic

Cosmic Social Disease

Dec 10, 2007
    It even looks cold in the pic-stay warm and cheer loud!

8. GISH

GISH ~mUST wARN oTHERS~

Nov 23, 2007
    Over Yonder
    Have fun bro. I miss the cold whether. Orlando is like living in an oven.

9. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    awesome VO, enjoy the game and I'm looking forward to you analysis and pictures afterwards :up:

cnc66 and Vengeful Odin like this.
  10. Cosmic

Cosmic Social Disease

Dec 10, 2007
    Fixed it for ya.

SICK likes this.
  11. funkdat

funkdat New Member

Dec 12, 2007
    The post funk era
    lol sweet

12. Mcduffie81

Mcduffie81 Wildcat Club Member

Mar 23, 2008
    Lake Worth, Fl.
    Awsome pic! Im so freaking excited for these next 2 weeks. Thanks for the report. Have fun today and cheer ur *** off!

cnc66 and Vengeful Odin like this.
  13. bojack72

bojack72 Junior Member Club Member

Mar 24, 2008
    Gish

You miss cold weather?

That's like dating a model and missing fat girls! It just doesn't make sense.

cnc66 and funkdat like this.
  14. ascii

ascii People Watcher

Nov 27, 2007
    Etters, Pa
    Good thing they provide a shuttle service. I'm having a hard time finding a walking path from that pic. :lol:

Keep the Mrs. warm and enjoy yourself! I'm looking forward to the pics! :hi5:

15. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    I agree. I lived up north (Wis. Penn. NY. Mich.) for 22 years. Moved to Houston to be with my now wife and havent missed cold or snow one bit. I go up to visit the parental units in January and that week of cold and snow is more than enough to satisfy any kind of crazy winter homsickness I might have built up, ugh! Much rather 100F summers than 10F winters here! :up:

And thanks for the update Odin. I agree about the cold, we have some guys who can play in cold weather with Long, Penny, Porter etc. Hopefully they step it up and show everyone how to get it done. And the cold will really play hell with KCs passing game imo. Will be interesting to see.

16. TiP54

TiP54 Bad Reputation

Nov 25, 2007
    Live from the Internet.
    Thanks for sharing man! For a Cell Fone Pic, its pretty nice :)) Rep that Marino Jersey with pride!

17. keypusher

keypusher Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2007
    Didn't read this until after the game -- you're a real fan to fly halfway across the country to see a game under those conditions. Glad the Phins won for you!

funkdat and Vengeful Odin like this.
  18. bigbucks24

bigbucks24 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    VO's description of the weather was not even close. It was bitterly cold. Even for a guy that lived in Minnesota for 7 years, I froze my *** off. I guarentee that he did not walk from his hotel to the stadium. Temp was 8 degrees at kickoff and -21 wind chill. Inside the stadium as bad as walking to and from the car. We parked relatively close and I think I froze my face off. Was an AWESOME game. Well worth staying until the bitter end for.